New White Dwarf... StormRaven issue

SamaNagol

This confuses me as well, but whatever. I still think other marines will get it eventually.

'Eventually', as in next edition?

Won't be surprised if the next Vanilla Codex gets it, with the caveat that ,"While initially only fielded by the Blood Angels and its Successors, and the mysterious Grey Knights, the (Stormraven) is beginning to see production in other Chapters in the Imperium..."

Could be next edition, could be next Space Marine codex, could be when the rumored flyers expansion comes out.

It doesn't mention other chapters getting the Storm Raven anywhere in that article. There is no further expansion on the colour text from the Codex where they say the BA and Grey Knights are the only ones using it.

On a side note, its far too cool to stay exclusive to BA.

I agree with this. It will likely run for more months/year(s) as a Blood Angel/GK only choice, but like the new patterned Land Raiders, down the line, it will likely be an available codex/other marine dex choice (maybe with a limitation). The model is new, fantastic to many players, and would be a waste of a sales opportunity to not allow people to use them, painted up in their army's scheme.

I'm not a competitive player by any means, and I own one of each Land Raider, simply for the sake of gaming variety and for modeling purposes. Would the SR be available to the codex, I would definitely purchase one or more ... drools at the thought of it carrying a Ironclad.

Again, likely after the novelty dies down a bit, and the BA/GK's have their glory as the soul proprietors of that winged can of awesome, it will probably splash into the mainstream for other dexes.

It doesn't mention other chapters getting the Storm Raven anywhere in that article. There is no further expansion on the colour text from the Codex where they say the BA and Grey Knights are the only ones using it.

No, but read the rest of the issue it mentions it's eventual insertion into other chapters a few times over the other pages. It also states it was designed ages ago for Space Marines and they where just waiting for the right time to release it.

I always knew other chapters wouldn't get it; that'd be silly to the max.

As a BA player I already have them in my codex so why print them at all if not for use by other chapters?
This is how they've always done it with new release models.

Necrons had the full rules for Warriors in the WD.

Tau had Firewarriors.

Dark Eldar had Warriors (I think).

Marines (more recently) had Legion of the Damned.

The article was never for a player like you who already has the codex and knows all there is to know. It's for the rest of the players who don't have the codex and don't know anything about it, but can expect to see some turning up on his tables in the very near future. It's so they don't get blindsided by the next new shiny.

I wouldn't have minded other Chapters having access to it, but I guess it's kinda nice to keep it exclusive to us and the Grey fellows (at least for now).

If someone in our gaming group wishes to buy one and paint it in other Chapter's colours I'm all for it. As long as they don't touch my precious Baals. (no pun intented... right? :))

Can't say i'm not disappointed that the Unforgiven don't get Storm Ravens (i've been having fun throwing a squad of IG Veterans around in a Valkyrie of late) but it's nice to know that GW still care about keeping some distinctions between the chapters. My best friend is a Flesh Tearer and is sure to make use of at least one of them, so i'm looking forward to the eventual release of the updated Dark Angel codex. Maybe we'll get some goodies to take those pesky Storm Ravens out of the sky before they drop off their payload :)

Well I can tell you one person who has access to the Storm Raven....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cc2w-f0XTFg/TUHmtG0LbeI/AAAAAAAAAGU/uiKw15zRSQ4/s320/raven6.jpg

Curses :) ! I'm still waiting on my "advanced order". Now get those beauties out of the box and painted :P :rolleyes:

Well I have to admit guys as space wolf player ( just dropping in ) that thing is gonna die. It's immune to melta... Great it will just get slammed with medium strength weapons. I can almost guarantee it will never survive turn one, given it's potential payload. You could deep strike, but that's alot of potential for mishap on a model that size. Could be wrong, its just my opinion that nothing that can be killed by an auto cannon with relative ease, should cost 220 points.

I can almost guarantee it will never survive turn one, given it's potential payload.

Even if the BA player goes first and unloads a squad of DC & a DC dread in your face? Is the Stormraven priority #1 then? :huh: :D

I can see a lot of use for it, ceramite negates melta's close advantage, I want you to come closer to that storm raven its gone 24 inches and has dropped at least 2 things that will jumppack 12"and assault you next turn. Which of the 3 are you going to shoot? bearing in mind its sitting on a 3 up cover save.

The storm raven, despite looking like a flying dumpster is too cool and too much fun not to put on the board ... I want one.... no I need one :D

Basic StormRaven 101:

If you get first turn, start it on the table. If you don't, then put it in reserve and bring it on 12", get out 2" and charge 6" (With Fleet added if you are a DC Dread)

If neither of those things are possible then yes it will probably die, even with a 4++ save

I really do want regular Marines to access the SR as a 0-1 special heavy choice, but its because i fanaticaly believe in the Legio B+C - and that all Chapters shoudl work for much closer ties and better understanding in the unholy face of heretics, xenos and the daemonic.

On the other hand its funny no body wants our DC, possibly because of "uncontrolable" rage?

Death Company are SO chapter specific going back to the origins of the Blood Angels fluff that people have given up hope of ever getting them. It's just not even worth thinking about.

Like hoping you can get Thunderwolves.

Although everyone did get Emperor's Champions for a while, but thankfully they revoked that quick time.

Got my hands on the White Dwarf today.

I agree that, based on the interview with Ward, Codex Space Marines will get the Stormraven, no question. (I'm less convinced about Black Templar and Space Wolves).

What do people think of the other parts, though? We got our own Apocalypse formations and a new Battle Mission, and even a marginal piece of fluff to go along with the Apocalypse formations.

Well I have to admit guys as space wolf player ( just dropping in ) that thing is gonna die. It's immune to melta... Great it will just get slammed with medium strength weapons. I can almost guarantee it will never survive turn one, given it's potential payload.

It is still a very effective delivery system even at 200 points. Start on the table (or in reserve, no biggy) and move up 24". The 4++ cover save means that almost every heavy weapon in the enemy arsenal will shoot at them, but AV 12 is not that soft, and most shots will not penetrate. Withh 4++ you have to be very unlucky to loose the Stormraven completely (maybe weapon destroyed), and with Corbelo around you even get get a critical reroll if you need it.

Next turn the payload gets out and is in the enemy lines :) . I usually play 2 StormRavens with 10 DC and two DC Dreads (and whatever I want in the other gunship), and in 10 games now I have lost only 1 stormraven charging in 24" turn 1. Most of mine is still around until turn 3 and 4, and by then they fly arround up to 18" and still shoot (POTMS is soooooooo nice!). Once the Payload is dropped there is 5-6 threats right on the enemy's doorstep, that does not even count the TLLC Razors ( or LC & TL Plasma) in the backline continueing to hammer them! They will be more scared of the ground forces than the gunship, believe me.

I love the Stormraven, It's an AWESOME tool if you can use it to your advantage with a list that supports it, and that it can support.

Now, if you're building a list with 2 Stormravens and a Landraider Crusader... there is something that can potentially be scary :)

Well I have to admit guys as space wolf player ( just dropping in ) that thing is gonna die. It's immune to melta... Great it will just get slammed with medium strength weapons. I can almost guarantee it will never survive turn one, given it's potential payload. You could deep strike, but that's alot of potential for mishap on a model that size. Could be wrong, its just my opinion that nothing that can be killed by an auto cannon with relative ease, should cost 220 points.

I've yet to have a Stormraven actualy on the board on turn 1. i keep mine in resevere (not deepstrike). it's fun to wait till the other guy is scrambling over objectives then slamming the 'aven up to themto unload the occupation force.

I'm really digging the new model, but I hate GW's vehicle model scale. The razorback for example is supposed to hold 6 marines and it doesn't look like three could even fit. I know exact scale would be too big, but something close would be nice.

Those of you who have the model or have held it. Could you tell me roughly in comparison to the landraider how big the body is. No wings or tail please.

Thanks

Archived