Why would you want Thunder Hammers?

HsojVvad

I keep reading a few posts about people Thunder Hammering Spam now with the new FAQ for DA. I haven't played much 40K so I am not so sure why anyone would want to spam Thunder Hammers.

Wouldn't that replace your bolters and you wouldn't be able to shoot anymore? I just don't see why DA TH spam is a great idea. Can anyone explain please.

Nope. The thunder hammer / storm shield combo is one of the standard wargear load-outs for Deathwing and cannot be further customized.

As said, we don't really care about the hammer, we just want the shield. Imagine the possibilities if we could take just the shield.

But yea, the build sacrifices shootiness for survivability. Then the CML makes up for some of the loss.

As said, we don't really care about the hammer, we just want the shield. Imagine the possibilities if we could take just the shield.

It would be awesome, but the Deathwing don't do it... So my Company Vets all roll with power weapons and storm shields, instead. Rest assured, though: they'll forget all about versatility and tactical flexibility when they are inducted into the First Company. :P

The basic Idea is the Shield with the 3++ Inv Save.

That in combination with the 2+ armor saves, and an Apothecary basically makes your squad near impossible to kill unless they are swarmed.

Use the 2+ saves against normal stuff, 3++ saves against people with power weapons and stuff that ignores armor saves.

they'll forget all about versatility and tactical flexibility when they are inducted into the First Company. ;)

As Guilliman wills it.

From TEC's sig:

The Codex Astartes: taking away the freedom of marines to pigeonhole themselves, and restricting them to supreme tactical flexibility since M31. :D

Why would you want Thunder Hammers? Well apart form the other excellent answer given above:

- because they look so completely badass on DW termies :D .

Cheers

I

As said 3+ inv. is amazing.

However, the points about 3+ inv. and feel no pain... doesn't make much sense... since u can't get feel no pain vs. hit that ignore your normal 2+ save. Do not discard the idear about apothecary however, as said... Terminaters with feel no pain = 2+ save, if it fails, 4+. (Sorry to repeat whats already been said).

Short story:

Storm Shield makes you TWICE as durable against power weapon, AP1, and AP2 wounds, compared to normal TDA.

Feel No Pain makes you TWICE as durable to small arms fire, such as bolters and lasguns.

Yes, I found my Codex. So I am a bit confused now. Can I mix and match? Some have hammer/SS and others don't, or do they all have to have them?

If I can mix and match how do I allocate damage? Also if I can mix and match, what kind of fire power to you recomend in putting it for an all take all

comer list?

I just thought having no shooting, would hamper you a bit. I only have 2 armies, DA and Tyranids. So an All DW with hammer/SS would be like having Genestealers or Hormagaunts?

So would it better be to teleport them in, instead of walking or running them in?

I am just so happy to finally find my codex.

Your terminators come equipped as follows:

Sergeant

4 Dudes

Any of those models can swap his weapons for lightning claws or for hammer & shield. This means you can have some shooty models mixed with some close combat models. In fact, we recommend this for most people.

It is important to note that the Cyclone Launcher can go on any normal Deathwing guy, even if he has replaced his shooty weapons for close combat ones. In the case that you load out a squad completely in TH/SS, you should still have a cyclone in that squad.

Teleporting 1 or 2 squads in is fine, but keeping threats on the ground are going to be very important as well. With the cyclone, you don't have to worry as much about walking across the board. You still have two missile shots from it so the squad is still a threat even when not in close combat, and as far as 48 inches away.

Nope. The thunder hammer / storm shield combo is one of the standard wargear load-outs for Deathwing and cannot be further customized.

But yea, the build sacrifices shootiness for survivability. Then the CML makes up for some of the loss.

Disagree strongly, I love DA Hammers. Making Trygons, Mephiston, Wolf Lords etc strike after us is golden.

Disagree strongly, I love DA Hammers. Making Trygons, Mephiston, Wolf Lords etc strike after us is golden.

Assuming you're still alive by the 2nd round of CC

I find that my TH/SS termies just tend to keel over and die, then the rest of the squad start making their 5++ saves..

it's insane...

Why would you want Thunder Hammers? Well apart form the other excellent answer given above:

- because they look so completely badass on DW termies ;) .

Damn it, that was exactly my answer as soon as i spotted the question ;)

Assuming you're still alive by the 2nd round of CC

I find that my TH/SS termies just tend to keel over and die, then the rest of the squad start making their 5++ saves..

it's insane...

Ahh, you've made the mistake of not going all TH/SS :huh:

It's a problem with people not resetting their brains on a new edition. Thunder Hammers used to make models hit by them 'strike last' instead of setting them to I1. He needs to relearn his TH rules ;)

Archived