Grey Knight mk.II Fluff discussion

Vindicatus

Depending on the way it's written, it could come off as a sacred offering type of deal. Maybe it's a long standing arrangement between the Sororitas and the Knights for the most dire of circumstances. The Sisters are ritually slain to empower whatever defense and are honored and remembered as martyrs.

It's not. It's really described as a spur of the moment thing where the Grey Knights are described as ''Turning their blades.'' on the Sisters and they are described as covering themselves in ''innocent blood.'' There is nothing even implying consent by the Sisters and it comes more off as the GK ambushing them.

Depending on the way it's written, it could come off as a sacred offering type of deal. Maybe it's a long standing arrangement between the Sororitas and the Knights for the most dire of circumstances. The Sisters are ritually slain to empower whatever defense and are honored and remembered as martyrs.

It's not. It's really described as a spur of the moment thing where the Grey Knights are described as ''Turning their blades.'' on the Sisters and they are described as covering themselves in ''innocent blood.'' There is nothing even implying consent by the Sisters and it comes more off as the GK ambushing them.

Which is quite silly, it reeks of Necron and Blood Angels holding hands.. I mean.. Grey Knights are incorruptible(the New codex acknowledges this). Yet during this incident, the Grey Knights instantly fall upon the "innocent Sisters" and use their blood so that the already Incorruptible Grey Knights won't be tainted/corrupted by the Bloodtide and the Daemons causing it... :)

So last night, sitting around the FLGS, several of us came up with an idea on the story line that Matt Ward is creating with the Grey Knights codex and the Space Marines Codex... :P

So with the seal on Titan being stamped for the end times, Draigo will have to fight M'kar in the Warp to have a chance of reaching the real world. As Supreme Grand Master, he is the only one who knows about it to open it. As he slays the greater daemon in the warp, it has unexpected consequences.

M'kar's death heals Roboute Guilliman. He heals right as the Alpha Legion invades Macragge. As the Ultramarines fight their nemesis, Alpharius appears and turns off the Stasis field. It is then revealed that Guilliman and Alpharious had planned everything from the start to ensure that Guilliman would survive to the end times. Both Primarchs brake their forces, with Guillman gathering all his successor chapters together into a full Space Marine Legion.

The two head for Titan, just as Draigo returns to break the seal. The three are amazed that hidden beneath Titan is the Emperor. The instructions there state that before the Emperor left to face Horus, he split himself in two. One was secreted to Titan and hidden before Malcador cast the moon in the warp. At the end times, the seal was to be brokenand the duplicate body returned to Terra so that the Emperor's spirit could be released from the failing Golden Throne.

Taking the body, the Ultramarines, Alpha Legion, and the Grey Knights press for Terra. They know that they will have to fight against the entire Ecclesiarchy in order to reach the Golden Throne.

Sadly, that is close enough to what the storyline would be IF Ward gets to write 6E and 6E C:SM. <_<

Which is quite silly, it reeks of Necron and Blood Angels holding hands.. I mean.. Grey Knights are incorruptible(the New codex acknowledges this). Yet during this incident, the Grey Knights instantly fall upon the "innocent Sisters" and use their blood so that the already Incorruptible Grey Knights won't be tainted/corrupted by the Bloodtide and the Daemons causing it... :lol:

Actually, it's not so far out in left field... it has been repeatedly established through the past fluff that, while normal Space Marines are charged with protecting the Imperium, the Grey Knights are instead charged with killing daemons. They do not act directly in the Imperium's defense. This is most clearly seen when they scour planets clean of life after the guardsmen of that planet help them stop a daemonic incursion. The Grey Knights can't be sure that they're pure, so they kill them all. This division of priorities is part of what makes the Grey Knights different than just "Space Marines with Psycannons".

upon reading the fluff, I have an interesting theory:

(Correct me if I am wrong)

I didn't see any mention of the implantation process and surgery that makes a GK. In addition, gene-seed is really referred to as 'the Emperor's Gift.'

Does this imply that their is something unique to the GK's physiognomy? Does their gene-seed act differently?

Upon hearing about some of this new fluff, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry...

I cry myself to sleep until I've got the actual codex in my hands and time to sit down and read it. That is when things will be decided. Judgement day is approaching.

Which is quite silly, it reeks of Necron and Blood Angels holding hands.. I mean.. Grey Knights are incorruptible(the New codex acknowledges this). Yet during this incident, the Grey Knights instantly fall upon the "innocent Sisters" and use their blood so that the already Incorruptible Grey Knights won't be tainted/corrupted by the Bloodtide and the Daemons causing it... <_<

Actually, it's not so far out in left field... it has been repeatedly established through the past fluff that, while normal Space Marines are charged with protecting the Imperium, the Grey Knights are instead charged with killing daemons. They do not act directly in the Imperium's defense. This is most clearly seen when they scour planets clean of life after the guardsmen of that planet help them stop a daemonic incursion. The Grey Knights can't be sure that they're pure, so they kill them all. This division of priorities is part of what makes the Grey Knights different than just "Space Marines with Psycannons".

I don't think what I ment was clear. I have no problem with the killing of the Sisters. My problem is that they kill them to use the "pure blood of matyrs"(if I recall correctly) to prevent themselves from being corrupted yet they see themselves as already being INcorruptible which the codex acknowledges. It makes little sense.

As for the geneseed I think it is implied that it is directly from the Emperor himself which is why the codex describes it as "more pure" and as them being above normal marines physically and mentally.

I don't think what I ment was clear. I have no problem with the killing of the Sisters. My problem is that they kill them to use the "pure blood of matyrs"(if I recall correctly) to prevent themselves from being corrupted yet they see themselves as already being INcorruptible which the codex acknowledges. It makes little sense.

As for the geneseed I think it is implied that it is directly from the Emperor himself which is why the codex describes it as "more pure" and as them being above normal marines physically and mentally.

Having not had a chance to read the bit of fluff in the codex and I'm only halfway through The Hunt for Voldorius I can only go off of what I know of the bloodtide, but as it stands the bloodtide is a daemonic nanovirus. Even that might give hexagramic wards and silver etchings a run for their money. Better safe than sorry.

Having not had a chance to read the bit of fluff in the codex and I'm only halfway through The Hunt for Voldorius I can only go off of what I know of the bloodtide, but as it stands the bloodtide is a daemonic nanovirus. Even that might give hexagramic wards and silver etchings a run for their money. Better safe than sorry.

Mat Ward appears to have not read Hunt for Voldorius, his description of the Bloodtide is different from what I remember in the book. It appears to be more like a Khornate horde than a nanovirus.

Mat Ward appears to have not read Hunt for Voldorius, his description of the Bloodtide is different from what I remember in the book. It appears to be more like a Khornate horde than a nanovirus.

^ This. In the New Codex, if I remember, the Bloodtide is the result of a Bloodthirster that had previously been chained and bound under a cathedral(or some similar type of building) breaking free and literally flooding the city it was in with blood. Which then weakened the barriers between the universe and the warp allowing other Khornate daemons to flood through.

So with the seal on Titan being stamped for the end times, Draigo will have to fight M'kar in the Warp to have a chance of reaching the real world. As Supreme Grand Master, he is the only one who knows about it to open it. As he slays the greater daemon in the warp, it has unexpected consequences.

M'kar's death heals Roboute Guilliman. He heals right as the Alpha Legion invades Macragge. As the Ultramarines fight their nemesis, Alpharius appears and turns off the Stasis field. It is then revealed that Guilliman and Alpharious had planned everything from the start to ensure that Guilliman would survive to the end times. Both Primarchs brake their forces, with Guillman gathering all his successor chapters together into a full Space Marine Legion.

The two head for Titan, just as Draigo returns to break the seal. The three are amazed that hidden beneath Titan is the Emperor. The instructions there state that before the Emperor left to face Horus, he split himself in two. One was secreted to Titan and hidden before Malcador cast the moon in the warp. At the end times, the seal was to be brokenand the duplicate body returned to Terra so that the Emperor's spirit could be released from the failing Golden Throne.

Taking the body, the Ultramarines, Alpha Legion, and the Grey Knights press for Terra. They know that they will have to fight against the entire Ecclesiarchy in order to reach the Golden Throne.

Why sadly? If done right, with something along these lines, it could be incredibly awesome! :)

I bet Sandy Mitchell and A B-D could pull it off :wub:

If it was anyone else but Ward. Put C.S. Goto on it and it could work.

The problem is Ward's oneupmanship. Since 5E Ultramarines are better than all other space marines, except 5E Grey Knights... it means 6E Ultramarines HAVE to be better than 5E Grey Knights. Thus something like my joke might come to pass as a measure of how much better Guilliman's ilk is than everyone else.

The problem is Ward's oneupmanship. Since 5E Ultramarines are better than all other space marines, except 5E Grey Knights... it means 6E Ultramarines HAVE to be better than 5E Grey Knights. Thus something like my joke might come to pass as a measure of how much better Guilliman's ilk is than everyone else.

"My Lord Calgar....we have reports that a Space Marine force is actually more powerful than us."

"WHAT!!!!!!! ALERT MATT WARD! THIS BLEMISH UPON US CANT BE LET TO PASS!!!!!"

If it was anyone else but Ward. Put C.S. Goto on it and it could work.

Only if Ward is put on the 6E Marine Codex which may or may not happen, but I agree if he is then it most likely will.

I did neither. A facepalm and white flag upon a stick seemed to suffice.

Truth be told that sounds like a good idea as well. I finally just sighed in resignation and shook my head.

Seriously though, I normally purchase all the codices for the fluff and backstory of the different armies, but, with some of the stuff I'm hearing about for this codex fluffwise...I think I'm gonna pass on this one. He seems to have really outdone himself this time.

I did neither. A facepalm and white flag upon a stick seemed to suffice.

Truth be told that sounds like a good idea as well. I finally just sighed in resignation and shook my head.

Seriously though, I normally purchase all the codices for the fluff and backstory of the different armies, but, with some of the stuff I'm hearing about for this codex fluffwise...I think I'm gonna pass on this one. He seems to have really outdone himself this time.

I really don't think it is THAT bad outside of Draigo's fluff and the rather slight stupidity of things like "Purifiers are more incorruptible then the incorruptible Grey Knights" or "They need such and such to resist corruption even though they are incorruptible", if one can get past Draigo and the Incorristancy(Incorruptible + Inconsistancy) of the Grey Knights being the purest fighting force in the Imperium then I think the fluff is decent.

Quoted from the FFG forum, confirmed by members of this forum.

"Bloodtide rises, a daemonic ocean of gore that washes over all and turns them into berzerkers eager only for blood that can effect even the Grey Knights. Thankfully, a small contingent of Sisters of Battle trapped on the world remained pure, which the Grey Knights then kill, collecting and mixing their uncorrupted blood with sacred urgents, applying it to armour and weapons, rendering them immune to the Bloodtides effects..."

I'm going to take a look at the codex and read it in its entirety before I pass final judgement...but just from what I've heard is in the codex and from the bit quoted above, there had better be a lot of really good fluff in the codex to make up for this kind of ;) because if there isn't, than you'll be seeing my GK on ebay very soon.

Oh, so it's not in the heat of battle? Then yeah, totally understandable. They probably would have had to kill them afterwords anyways.

The quote isn't the entire quote. The passsage in the Codex has the Sisters fighting a major battle prior to that. From what I remmeber the Grey Knights arrive to the Sisters distress beacon.

Still, the GK's came to clean up. If they need martyr blood to do so, welp.

If they were fighting side by side, then all of a sudden BLOODTIDE! and the GK's just started laying into the Sisters to hurry up and get some pure blood on them, it would have been kinda messed up. But better the sisters were martyred for the cause of the Emperor than consumed by daemons, am I right?

Archived