Probably a silly rule question about Sammael...

pchappel

Rule question about Sammael… I’d read somewhere that his Jetbike cannot join a unit of Ravenwing, is this correct? I would have thought that Jetbikes being a subset of “Bikes” (Yes, I play Wolves too, wording from the JoTWW FAQ ruling) he would be able to, though he’d lose some small benefits like ignore terrain during movement (and probably skilled rider?)… Found some of the ancient RT era jetbikes and though one could be converted and him with a squad would work out fairly well… Assuming it is legal of course…

Sorry if I missed something obvious and thanks!

Yup.

It used to be that ravenwing had the skilled rider rule (And a jink save) but that dissapeared from the codex in the current version.

However a skilled rider rule does exist in the main rulebook and there it is given to all independent characters.

As Sammael however is an individual and not an "independent character" he can not join units etc, but also can not claim the "move through cover" and "Skilled rider" special rules.

So the ironic thing is that the DA FAQ tels us that characters (Librarian of Chaplain) on a bike are not part of the Ravenwing, yet they are the only ones who are skilled riders, while the master of the biker boys is not, as are his "born in the saddle" bikers. :P As they ARE independent characters they do get skilled rider (and move through cover but that doesn't do anything on bikes as said above.)

That is just absolutely nuts and something that will absolutely be fixed in the Unforgiven Codex, project being worked on in the development section

I don't think so...

Actually GW surely didn't want the jetbike to join normal bike unit. + the LS version didn't have to be a IC.

To compensate the fact that the jebike can now be targeted as any independant unit they gave him the Iron halo + the Admantine cloak so that he could survive the first unsaved lascannon shoot.

If you want to bring back the IC status then you'll have to take the cloak off to compensate... Or raise the price but that way you could not switchLS/jetbike version anymore (which is something fine in the current version)

That is just absolutely nuts and something that will absolutely be fixed in the Unforgiven Codex, project being worked on in the development section

I don't think so...

Actually GW surely didn't want the jetbike to join normal bike unit. + the LS version didn't have to be a IC.

To compensate the fact that the jebike can now be targeted as any independant unit they gave him the Iron halo + the Admantine cloak so that he could survive the first unsaved lascannon shoot.

If you want to bring back the IC status then you'll have to take the cloak off to compensate... Or raise the price but that way you could not switchLS/jetbike version anymore (which is something fine in the current version)

Wait, are you saying that they couldn't make him an IC because of the Speeder option? Would it not have been simpler to give him IC status yet note that it only applied to the jetbike option? Or are you saying they might have had other reasons that a jetbike should not join the bike squad?

@ EPK,

I am not sure any justifcation we might provide will be acceptable to you.

But try this one from a model eye view.

Bikes driving on the ground... Jetbike FLYING through the AIR.

None of us like this, but from the model's view, it looks pretty clear.

Also from a fluff perspective it also makes sense, as Samie is supposed to gather information about the fallen, avoid capture and report back to the inner circle.

Not really possible if he is stuck with a unit that gets trapped.

It was why in the 3rd codex MORW was the only member of DW that wasn't intractable.

@ EPK,

I am not sure any justifcation we might provide will be acceptable to you.

But try this one from a model eye view.

Bikes driving on the ground... Jetbike FLYING through the AIR.

None of us like this, but from the model's view, it looks pretty clear.

Also from a fluff perspective it also makes sense, as Samie is supposed to gather information about the fallen, avoid capture and report back to the inner circle.

Not really possible if he is stuck with a unit that gets trapped.

It was why in the 3rd codex MORW was the only member of DW that wasn't intractable.

Both very acceptable reasons actually, the first didn't even cross my mind as far as rules go. The second fluffy reason I was not aware of but makes sense.

A thought occurred to me - perhaps this could be a reason for a "jet bike honor guard" of some sort to accompany Sammie? Something like 2 Ravenwing Vets on jetbikes max. Just a thought. I know jetbikes are rare, so I wouldn't give them more than 2. I see a trio of Jetbikes in formation as quite an interesting unit.

I think that RW rules should enable them to avoid CC, not dominate that phase.

Perhaps a version of hit and run where they leave at the beginning of combat instead of at the end.

I also think that any sort of body guard will just encourage using Sammie as a CC element.

But as far as simple changes to Sammie that would better his CC ability, I suggest changing his twin stormbolter to 2 twin bolters.

He would have the same shooting ability as he does currently at over 12" out, but under 12" and when he charges he would have 4 bolter shots.

Personally I think all bikes should have hit and run. Just from a fluff stand point, these guys are zooming into combat bolt pistol/chainsword blazing, and then driving right on by. I always think it's silly that bikes can get locked in combat automatically, it seems like the guys drive up and then climb off their bikes to fight. I'd be fine if it was hit and run but they could only continue in the same direction of the charge to represent continuing momentum.

Yea, I'm for hit and run as well. The bikers, especially as they are currently are are much too fragile to throw into assaults and get stuck.

I'd be fine if it was hit and run but they could only continue in the same direction of the charge to represent continuing momentum.

I suppose that's a nice balancing point, but they are expert riders after all, it's not outlandish to think they could cut to the right or left or even back the way they came if need be. The assault could simply representing them hitting the flanks of a unit anyway, so pulling away in any direction should be possible.

Archived