Old School Armour Markings

ancient god

Hmm. I'd always figured the crossed swords were a reference to the Piscina Campaign...

Yes, the device of crossed swords were also used as the campaign badge for the Piscina campaign.

You can see the actual badge (crossed swords, black, in a circle, white, with a border, black) in the campaign pack (and the entire Storm of Vengeance campaign, revised for 4th edition, can be found here).

We also have the Guardians of the Covenant using a similar device as their Chapter badge (swords white crossed saltire, blade down, on a field, black).

The use of swords in the symbology of the Unforgiven Chapters is clear, also including the Dark Angels Chapter badge, the heavy use of swords in various officers' badges/banners (especially the Librarians), the use of a lion holding a sword as the Chapter badge of the Disciples of Caliban, etc. As Insignium Astartes indicates on page 35, the crossed swords (blades down) are also a variant of the Assault squad badge.

My bet is that the crossed swords are a common device used by the Dark Angels for campaign badges, with different campaigns using variations such as changing colors on the swords, changing the symbols that accompany the swords, and changing the fields that the swords might be on. So the Dark Angel on the bike in the picture may have participated in a campaign in which green/black swords on a yellow field were the campaign badge and he has retained that badge as an honour marking upon his kneepad.

Great info Brother Tyler, thank you! I saw people throwing around the term "Storm of Vengeance" but assumed it was something I would have to buy like in a mission book. Seems like an interesting campaign (and I'm almost done with the Purging of Kadillus, so they go hand in hand - on a side note, it's s shame they didn't a version of that map on page 4 IN the book instead).

I also like the painting aspect this presents. I think I might revisit some marines and apply the Piscina battle honors. It's one thing to paint on some random icon and say it's a campaign badge and another to actually have fluff to back it up.

Archived