The Tyrant Rises - Update 5/18/15 - Tac Marines Done

Thanks. The gold is a base coat of scorched brown and shining gold. Then shining gold layered on top. Highlighted with a mix of shining gold and mithril silver then given a wash of devlan mud followed by a wash of gryphionne sepia then quickly highlighted in keys areas again with the mithril mix. I believe I already described my metal recipe somewhere earlier in this thread.

Here are the 2 newest members of my tactical Squad.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/AstralClawbareheaded.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/AstralClawBareHeaded2.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/MeltaGun1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/MeltaGun2.jpg

Comments and Crit welcome as always.

As for the bases, they are painted black, dry brushed codex grey. The large rocks are painted codex grey then washed with devlan mud followed by badab black. They are then dry brushed codex grey again followed by a light highlight dry brush of kommando khaki, this is also lightly dry brushed in random patches on the rest of the base to break up the color a bit.

:lol:

Very nice. Liking the blue markings on the weapons - faded through use. Also the little knocks and notches really add flavour. Good work!

Yeah... I registered for this log. That's how cool your marines are.

Are the grooves and damage on the armour a blend of scorched brown + chaos black just painted in, then highlighted on the bottom with mithril for the metal/ some random blue for the blue? Are there any tips on how to apply the damage, (should it be small lines, etc?)

Thanks, again awesome marines.

Thanks. The damage on the metal is just chaos black painted on in random blobs then highlighted underneath with mithril. And yea the blue damage is just a mix of regal and chaos black highlighted underneath with kommando khaki. As for tips, don't over do it, less is deff more, other wise it can look way to cluttered on a model that small. Concentrate it on areas that would logically receive it. Knees, feet, bottom of the shin, elbows, hands and parts of the shoulder pads. So far I have kept the Tyrant's Claw symbols free from damage since I figured they would try and protect it and repair it as soon as they are back in safety.

Do you guys think I should add chipping to the Tyrant's Claw symbol like I do to the squad markings?

Do you guys think I should add chipping to the Tyrant's Claw symbol like I do to the squad markings?

I think it looks fine the way it is, the symbol itself is quite complicated, so battle damage would distract it a bit too much.

absolutely great log, very inspiring! I really like the subtle conversions (e.g. BA bolter with the strap/ company champion shoulderpad).. they create a unique feeling without making the model look to "busy" like most people's marines do... I personally also have to learn how "not add too much details/bitz)

I will start my Badab project (5man squads of various chapters and then maybe settle for the nicest color scheme and create a small army) as soon as i find time!

what other units have you planned?

I agree with Tagsta - you don't want to clutter up the models, they are fantastic as they are!

The latest bare headed marine is very characterful, he is great - the best individual in this log, for me at least. Great work!

I agree with Tagsta - you don't want to clutter up the models, they are fantastic as they are!

The latest bare headed marine is very characterful, he is great - the best individual in this log, for me at least. Great work!

Thanks, I agree, he is also one of my favorites. There is just soemthing about the pose. He just looks like hes saying "really? You really want to mess with me?" very menacing and powerful without doing much. I think it has to do with the arms, with his bolter at rest and his shoulders square. GW is getting much better with their arm poses in the plastic kits. One of my pet peeves with the normal tactical marines is that the majority of the bolter arms have them pointing it into the air. I know a lot of people use that pose to have the marine looking over the bolter, but to me it just doesn't work. No one stands like that. I'd rather have my marines aiming and firing or standing at ease, not striking a pose. The new BA arms are the best, I haven't tried using any of the wolf arms but I'm sure they are good as well.

Well next up on the painting table is the unit's sarge, actually the first model I built but I was trying to hold off on him until i got some of the regular guys done, and the units multi melta, which I am pretty proud of conversion wise, it also uses legion of the damned pieces. Then there are 2 more tactical marines to go, which I have slightly more complex conversions in mind for them. One is going to be holding an auspex and looking it at with his bolter slung over his shoulder. The other im thinking is going to have bionics, but I haven't decided yet on an arm or a leg, thoughts? I'm also planning on converting up a MK 5 head and a MK 3 head at some point, i think mister bionics is going to get one of them. Auspex man is getting a corvus helmet, good old beakies.

After them I have a Land Speeder Storm and a unit of Assault Terminators to pick in between. I'm a little tight on cash so Huron himself may have to wait until my Birthday in 2 months.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Retiliator squad (for those who don't know these are guys that carry combat shields and chainswords and basically used for boarding actions and keeping the Tyrant's Legion in check) for Golden Demon. I'm picturing some real bastards here. Just mean, menacing looking guys, with a little bit of blood on them. These are the guys who like to pick on people smaller then them, then kick them while their down.

Also I am reading Blood Reaver right now, and I have known from the start I wanted to include a Corpse Taker (apothecaries who steal geneseed from the marines they're fighting) and now I know I do, and its going to be Variel, the marine who later in life will become the Red Corsair known as the Flayer. Problem is when I'm not running a Tyrant's Legion list I don't know what to use him for, I don't plan on running a command squad so I need some ideas.

Sorry for the rambling, I just got off work and had a coffee plus sugar, so, it happens. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks, I agree, he is also one of my favorites. There is just soemthing about the pose. He just looks like hes saying "really? You really want to mess with me?" very menacing and powerful without doing much. I think it has to do with the arms, with his bolter at rest and his shoulders square. GW is getting much better with their arm poses in the plastic kits. One of my pet peeves with the normal tactical marines is that the majority of the bolter arms have them pointing it into the air. I know a lot of people use that pose to have the marine looking over the bolter, but to me it just doesn't work. No one stands like that. I'd rather have my marines aiming and firing or standing at ease, not striking a pose. The new BA arms are the best, I haven't tried using any of the wolf arms but I'm sure they are good as well.

Very much agree with what you said about GW getting better with their arm poses for the kits. I also try to set up my marines with them in real firing poses - i just wish they would hurry up and sort out the leg positioning now, as to be fair 80% of them are terrible. :)

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but I thought this might be a topic where it might be appreciated. I noticed in this month's White Dwarf that the two page pic of a battle between Astral Claws and Red Scorpions has a terminator squad of Astral Claws decked out in the same shoulder pads as the Tyrant himself. I don't know if they are something that Forge World has in the works or a conversion involving lots of money or casting. I just thought that you might like to see it yourself if you are planning any Terminator squads in the near future.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but I thought this might be a topic where it might be appreciated. I noticed in this month's White Dwarf that the two page pic of a battle between Astral Claws and Red Scorpions has a terminator squad of Astral Claws decked out in the same shoulder pads as the Tyrant himself. I don't know if they are something that Forge World has in the works or a conversion involving lots of money or casting. I just thought that you might like to see it yourself if you are planning any Terminator squads in the near future.

Hmm, Red Scorpions in white dwarf... I may actually have to buy a copy!

I haven't seen the new white dwarf yet. Do you mean they have the winged lions head on the shoulder pad like Huron? I am planning on doing a conversion like that for my termi sarge but having it on the whole squad may take away from what makes it special. If you are talking about FW pads for the Tyrants Claw, I haven't decided. Im deff not going to use those on standard marines. Maybe terminators. The only thing I am going to use a raised Astral Claw symbol for sure on is vehicles.

As for Commodus, maybe. I would like to build all the characters eventually, I do have a certain mechanically minded evil genius in the works though.

Also expect 2 more marines within the next week or two. Im pretty excited for both of these guys. Ones the Multi Melta, the other is a bolter marine. they both are converted and pretty ruthless looking if i do say so myself.

The terminators have winged lion's head pads on their right shoulder and a winged crux on the left. They look almost exactly like the Tyrant's without the little crenellations on the bottom. The entire squad of five have them. The Red scorpions look like there are a few sweet conversions or new models in the command squad. There is no description of who the minis belong to, just a little paragraph about the Imperial Armour books. The rest of the magazine has mostly content about the new Tomb Kings stuff. The Forge World pages are the only reason I bought it this month.

Reading Imperial Armour 9 & 10 at the moment. The Astral Claws are badass and your painting of them does them complete justice, absolutely fantastic - I also love your Fire Hawk [although they come across as lame and arrogant in IA ;)]. Any chance of you doing some veterans in the camo black and orange stripe scheme?

This thread is full of win. Your painting is super-clean, and I think I've just found a way to get my Sang Guard army a different colour scheme. =) Thank you!

- Natanael

Archived