Prospero

MaveriK

Just a little 'WHAT IF' here... ignoring the recent novels, and facts from both Graham McNeil and Dan Abnett's latest creation. So lets say the Wolves weren't the one's tasked do the deed. Which other loyalist legion(s) do you think or should have been sent, instead of the Sons of Russ and why? do you think they would have done it differently than what the Wolves have?

Ideally I would have sent the Fists were I the Emperor. But seeing as they were fortifying Terra, they really had more important things to do. The Fists, because Dorn would have done what the Emperor told him and not have listened to Horus, and not attack Magnus. Also he seems to have been generally well liked (except for Curze, obviously :P).

Going from that I guess Guilliman would be a good bet, or else Sanguinus. I can't see either of them listening to Horus over the Emperor, but I don't know how well they got along with Magnus. I could also see Corax, as he seems to be a fair Primarch, who definitely wouldn't have accepted the Warmaster's "suggestions." But again Guilliman and Corax were otherwise engaged at this time. I'm not sure quite what Sanguinus was up to.

Hopefully my opinions help.

If he was free at the time i would have sent Guilleman, Strength in Numbers.

Eh, I doubt Guilliman (when given the "exterminate" order) would have assulted Prospero head-on. IMO he would have done the smart thing and used a cyclonic warhead instead. Not even the kine-shield around Tizca would have stopped that.

Ideally I would have sent the Fists were I the Emperor. But seeing as they were fortifying Terra, they really had more important things to do. The Fists, because Dorn would have done what the Emperor told him and not have listened to Horus, and not attack Magnus. Also he seems to have been generally well liked (except for Curze, obviously :)).

Going from that I guess Guilliman would be a good bet, or else Sanguinus. I can't see either of them listening to Horus over the Emperor, but I don't know how well they got along with Magnus. I could also see Corax, as he seems to be a fair Primarch, who definitely wouldn't have accepted the Warmaster's "suggestions." But again Guilliman and Corax were otherwise engaged at this time. I'm not sure quite what Sanguinus was up to.

Hopefully my opinions help.

If your goal is to give the Thousand sons a fair chance then I think Corax and Dorn are out of the question since both of them truly dislike psykers.

In all honesty, I would have sent Sanguinius or Fulgrim. Both of them are rather well received by the other primarchs and would have been diplomatic with Magnus before getting medieval on him and his sons.

Guilliman and the Ultramarines. The Emperor trusted him implicitly it seems and it's at least rumoured in-universe that the Ultras had been involved in sanctioning the two lost legions.

Maybe the Khan and the White Scars?

Not the Raven Guard -they were a smaller legion, the damage suffered might be too severe.

the only good choice, to bring Magnus in peacefully, would be Sanguinius.

he has the loyalty, charisma, psychic power...everything needed to achiece the job.

as the Emperor sent Russ, i believe he didnt care how magnus was brought to him.

WLK

True, Sanguinius pretty much held the brotherhood between the Primarchs together with help from Horus.

Still, Dan Abnett gave a hint in 'Prospero Burns' that Russ destroyed the 2 missing/dead Primarchs and when all other legions say no to the down right dirty work, you send for the Wolves of Fenris which makes them sort of like the A team!

I think we have to remember that Horus wasn't a known traitor yet. As Warmaster his word would have held as much weight as the Emperor's. So it's possible that even if Sanguinius (who IMHO would always be the best choice!) was sent, he might have followed Horus's suggestion thinking he was acting upon the will of the Emperor. Horus and Sanguinius were extremely close after all.

I think we have to remember that Horus wasn't a known traitor yet. As Warmaster his word would have held as much weight as the Emperor's. So it's possible that even if Sanguinius (who IMHO would always be the best choice!) was sent, he might have followed Horus's suggestion thinking he was acting upon the will of the Emperor. Horus and Sanguinius were extremely close after all.

which is very true, but looking at his treatment of magnus leading up to the council of nikea, he comes off more sympathetic then his brothers do.

he seems more humble and accepting, which i believe means he would be more balanced in his dealings with magnus.

(i do want to add that Russ tried to communicate with magnus leading up to the invasion of propero, to bring him in somewhat peacefully.)

WLK

looking at his treatment of magnus leading up to the council of nikea, he comes off more sympathetic then his brothers do.

he seems more humble and accepting, which i believe means he would be more balanced in his dealings with magnus.

Don't get me wrong I'm totally with you in believing than Sanguinius would be the man for the job. As you said he did, after all, speak on his behalf during the Council of Nikea (I still don't understand how the Emperor could possibly rule the way he did after Magnus's speech!) I'm just saying that Horus's intervention might have dashed the Thousand Son's chances no matter who was sent. Pity really.

looking at his treatment of magnus leading up to the council of nikea, he comes off more sympathetic then his brothers do.

Don't get me wrong I'm totally with you in believing than Sanguinius would be the man for the job. As you said he did, after all, speak on his behalf during the Council of Nikea (I still don't understand how the Emperor could possibly rule the way he did after Magnus's speech!) I'm just saying that Horus's intervention might have dashed the Thousand Son's chances no matter who was sent. Pity really.

I think the greatest disapointment i have had with the HH serious was the handling of the Council of Nikea.

We only saw the speeches for Magnus, where he truimphantly declared the truth of his practices and denounced his detractors.

we saw NONE of the anti-psyker opinions other than the whinings of Morty and a few others. but ahriman had passed out and missed everything that was said.

its bascially like having any debate, saying your piece and scoring several good points, then not allowing your opponent to talk. your side is the only side present, which becomes "right".

except in this case where the unheard arguement took the day, making the council look like a sham against magnus because mcneil copped out. pretty weaksauce there.

WLK

I think the greatest disapointment i have had with the HH serious was the handling of the Council of Nikea.

We only saw the speeches for Magnus, where he truimphantly declared the truth of his practices and denounced his detractors.

we saw NONE of the anti-psyker opinions other than the whinings of Morty and a few others. but ahriman had passed out and missed everything that was said.

its bascially like having any debate, saying your piece and scoring several good points, then not allowing your opponent to talk. your side is the only side present, which becomes "right".

except in this case where the unheard arguement took the day, making the council look like a sham against magnus because mcneil copped out. pretty weaksauce there.

WLK

I don't think it was too far fetched though to see the depths the 1k Sons had and were willing to go in their use of sorcery and their quest of knowledge. We have the initial encounter on the planet where the story starts and later on the planet of the bird people. Other acts are hinted at from other Primarchs, even Russ himself, but nothing is said much other then Mort's story.

You also have to take into account that the story was told from the primary point of view from the 1k Sons. All the acts of power, the use of the little demons, surfing the "Great Ocean" are all told as being unicorns and rainbows with cotton candy clouds. Even the last descriptions of when Magnus finally descends to do battle are told from Ahriman as a thing of beauty and glory when it is in fact the very terrors of the warp opening up over Prospero as the deal with Magnus is finally made.

I thought that was the point. Each of the duology is based soley from the perspective of one Legion and is biased twords them. I believe Abnett and McNeill even said as much.

i do get that both stories were supposed to be from a single point of view, but i didnt get that sense when i read prospero burns. there was no arguement presented as we were behind the scenes with the Wolves the entire time.

i was hoping for both sides of the story to be presented equally at the Council, but only got the T-Sons.

WLK

Just a little 'WHAT IF' here... ignoring the recent novels, and facts from both Graham McNeil and Dan Abnett's latest creation. So lets say the Wolves weren't the one's tasked do the deed. Which other loyalist legion(s) do you think or should have been sent, instead of the Sons of Russ and why? do you think they would have done it differently than what the Wolves have?

Depends on your perspective....

Fluff wise the most psychically resistant legion shouldve been the World Eaters and so the logical choice.

Its been shown though that Horus engineered the confrontation to wipe out 2 of his strongest enemies...

Depends on your perspective....

Fluff wise the most psychically resistant legion shouldve been the World Eaters and so the logical choice.

Its been shown though that Horus engineered the confrontation to wipe out 2 of his strongest enemies...

shouldnt the Primordial Annihlator get credit for this??

:tu:

WLK

Night lords, death guard and world eaters. With two brothers being destroyed already, I dont most of the primarchs could be trusted to have the stomach to prosecutem one more. DG and WE were so anti psyker that would help them overcome any "brotherly" feelings. And the night lords? I just don't see them backing down from the challenge.

Night lords, desth guard and world eaters. With two brothers being destroyed already, I dont most of the primarchs could be trusted to have the stomach to prosecutem one more. DG and WE were so anti psyker that would help them overcome any "brotherly" feelings. And the night lords? I just don't see them backing down from the challenge.

I'm gonna have to agree here. Had the Heresy not happened, or happened later, this would have been an excellent opportunity for the Emperor to be rid of two troublemaking Legions at the same time as well. Sic the Lords on Prospero, let them tear each other apart, then send in the Wolves or Ultras to clean house. Two more Legions --Purged from Imperial Records--

Except I reckon Magnus might well have been able to persuade Curze to stand with him. Curze would understand gifts that have bad side effects - and hating the Emperor.

I dont believe it matters which Primarch the Emperor sent to bring Magnus to heel. The Chaos Gods spent hundreds of years manipulating the young Imperium to create the Heresy, the simply would of manipulated the individual Primarch or group of Primarchs in turn to create a similiar set of results with relation to Magnus & the Thousand Sons.

I believe Chaos simply cursed the 1K Sons from their inception. Saying this the TIzcans knew of the Chaos Gods & warned Magnus of them, but Magnus ignored them in his arrogance. Just like how Magnus ignored the Big E. after Nikea. Magnus allowed his arrogance to be hubris & so made the Chaos Gods manipulations of Magnus & his legion even easier.

Archived