My 2011 Space Wolf Project

littlbitz

After the Colonial and seeing the competition there (Yes I am looking at you Jawaballs) I decided I wanted to step up my game and build an all new Space Wolf army.

This new list is going to be based around Logan Grimnar, and really concentrate on the modeling end of things, I am going to attempt to improve upon my green stuffing skills and really try and make this army stand out.

Here are a couple of teaser pics:

gallery_743_1948_516085.jpg

gallery_743_1948_1038908.jpg

I am going to be posting finished product pictures here as I get things completed, but you can follow all of my works in progress by following my blog (link is below)

Of course all comments and ideas are welcome!

Thanks guys!

Yeah Rags, that is Scibor, I actually bought 4 different ones at the Colonial, to represent the Wolf Guard in my individual packs.

Thanks Mav, that guy is the one with the Mark of the Wulfen!

Is that a Combi-Plas on the scibor wolfguard? I saw a great conversion idea like that on the Space Wolves blog using stormbolters with half the bolter cut off. Looks amazing, I just bought some scibor torsos and one of the heros for my Ard Boyz Logan wing to use as termis...30 footslogging maniacs should get some attention :) KEEP POSTING PICS, looking forward to seeing the painted version. AWOOOO

Why am I going out on my stag night when I could be working on my wolves!

Yes, its seeing your conversions which has that thought in my head. Really good work. Have a few Ales.

Thanks again for the replies guys!

I am really excited about this project.

here is the first test model done:

gallery_743_1948_753507.jpg

gallery_743_1948_248164.jpg

gallery_743_1948_572131.jpg

These Scibor sculpts are pretty, but man they are hard to paint. Quite possibly the hardest miniature I've ever painted.

That is exactly it Rags. The detail while nice, is extremely small and hard to paint. My other painting issue is that the armor plates are broken up so much that it is hard for me to accomplish my painting recipe in a way to make it effective.

It just doesn't seem to suit my paint style. I think it will do, but its not my best looking work. My hope is that when the model is with the rest of the unit, that they will be able to divert some of the focus.

They are nice Rayray, I wasn't sure about them myself, but they were cheap enough that I picked up 4 different poses to give them a try. I've seen them done with Terminator arms, but when I sized them up it didn't look right. So I went with some standard power armored arms.

He is armed with an odd assortment of Wargear the Thunder Hammer/Combi-Plasma combo will probably cause me some grief, but it just looked soooo cool.

littlebitz very nice! I didn't know you had it in you. :P

Very impressive start. It looks like you posted the pictures and then the finished model... all in one day? You must have been on fire that day or just waited to post the WIP until you were done?

I think they models look really good. I would only suggest you don't over do the cloaks.... I like them, but I've seen armies where half the army is in these fur cloaks and to be honest in some cases I think it takes away from the figs and the underlying paint job. It's your army to do what you wish but obviously you are a good painter, so I'd hate to see the army half hidden in fur.

You have a great start here. The funny thing is I can't bring myself to do quite the same thing because I find the 'new' Space Wolves plastics to be so bloody amazing, and full of detail!

I only wish I could get my hands on a new Logan. I'm a huge fan of his for this army, and the old model is close, but just a different scale, and I'd love a new Logan model to go with my Arjac. Which leads me to ask, are you doing anything special with Logan?

Thanks Prot, and I agree with over doing the cloaks.

My thought was that the Grey Hunters would have them. I'm only using one pack in this army, so I don't think it will be too over powering.

I have a modeling idea for each pack in the army. Logan is going to be completely converted, I haven't yet collected all of the bitz I need to build him, but I'm hoping what is in my head translates well to an actual model.

accomplish my painting recipe in a way to make it effective.

Hush yo mouf! He looks good. :( Making me want to paint right now.

Perfectly put.

Your paintings good. Just keep a good point on your brush. Make sure to thin your paint a bit too. And keep at it. The harder the challenge the better you'll get.

The Mark of the wulfen guy is a great pose - i've seen many attempts at creating that kind of model (including my own pale comparisons!) but thats probably the best I've seen - He looks like he means business... Often those kind of poses end up looking off balance - kudos B)

To be honest, and as a mediocre painter at best (and even then it takes me forever), that armour on the left hand model looks a nightmare to paint - It looks great though and I look forward to seeing them all, particularly the MoW guy, when they're done - Good inspiration too.

Another GH modeled (well, 2 actually), I should have the Mark of the Wulfen model painted by tomorrow eve.

I'm quite anxious to get him done.

gallery_743_1948_167145.jpg

In the mean time, here is a quick pic of another Grey Hunter.

I did a short tutorial on the modeling technique I'm using for these guys, for those inclined to check it out its on my Blog, the link is in my Sig below.

This will be great fun to watch as you show us more and more great looking models!!

Not the biggest fan of the Scibor WG guy, but only because I think the armor looks quite bulky. Your painting on the other hand, looks great!!

What is the metal combi-plas from?? I need me some of those!!

End of Line

Looking again at the combi plasma, it's a no brainer. That's a great piece for it. Most of my WG are done up with combi melta but you've come with an easy way to do plasma.

With Grey Knights, and even Blood Angels, I've added lots of plasma to my army recently. I might have to rip off some arms since I didn't magnetize them... ouch. But I really like how you did this. Consider it... 'borrowed'. :ph34r:

Thanks again guys!

Here is a quick picture of my Mark of the Wulfen model...

gallery_743_1948_561155.jpg

I know the lighting is bad, it was 5:00 AM when I snapped this photo. I still have a little touch up to do on him, and I'm not sure what to do tattooing wise, but other than that I'm not unhappy with how he turned out.

Hail honored brother!

Very nice looking project so far, thumbs up all the way! Scibor should at least offer you a bonus, now that you just sold their minis to me also :) .

The MotW looks superb so far, keep up the good work :lol: !

Archived