Dark Angel Dice

Candleshoes

The Minimum order to get them down to .50c is 200units. This will be per die.

I know someone else has volunteered, but I too would be willing to get this together. The best way I can see to do this is to setup a thread and get people to commit and pay for X dice of each type plus shipping.

If we were to do (200) of three different dice, we are looking at:

Dice 1 = $100

Dice 2 = $100

Dice 3 = $100

Shipping = $5.95

This brings them to .51c each.

I can call them and get sample art and a thread going tomorrow. The only way to do this is get enough people committed to each variety to hit the 200mark and then do a 30 day last call IMO. If we got over the 500mark it would go down but I am not holding my breath.

If you want to buy in, .51c per dice plus whatever the smallest flat rate box I can find to fit most orders.

Best,

Paul

Pbenner - if you want to handle this, awesome I was just waiting for the weekend warriors to chime in on the topic. I know we can easily hit 200 for each kind of dice.

I wanted to wait till Monday and see if anyone has any information about other sites, along with maybe getting custom bags.

Do you guys know of any of the places that could do a Black with red pips on a 12mm or less d6? I want to get an old style feel to my dice and have the old DA sword and wings icon and I like smaller dice as I don't like accidentally hitting/knocking over models/terrain with bigger ones and I hate it when my dice hit and get stopped by another source other than normal physics like gravity and flat surface friction ^_^

Hi guys,

I wasn't trying to steal your thunder. I have done things like this previously with other friends so splitting it up is rather easy. The other side is that I frequently am up in North Central Indiana and it would be no issue for me to drive to Chessex HQ if I find a major issue with the order to save time and/or barriers involving distance.

Figuring out what three color options will probably be the next issue. I prefer high-contrast with my dice. I also stay away from Gray with Red or Green due to having more than one color blind player in my area.

Paul

Pbenner - if you ever do that again.... Na I am just joking. If you can get to the HQ to pick up the dice that is cool. It will save on shipping.

b&c would be super awesome if you could do polls... And if you can that is great. Just to gauge the interest in each of the dice. I still think that a dice bag with the Dark Angels badge would be great, as even if you play deathwing/ravenwing you are still Dark Angels. If you need help with anything, I will do my best to help. Afterall, I would love to have these dice.

Casperatis

That is what I would like to do also. But chessex can only do

Green with white pits

Black with white or red or gold pits

Ivory with black pits

Ok so I lied a little.... We can have the ivory dice with red pits... It's just going to cost $3 each- that is only if we reach the mark of 200 dice

If there is anyone out there that knows another place that can do ivory dice with red pits that would be awesome.

Hopefully this weekend someone will chime in with the info we are looking for. Afterall we are the first among the chapters. We should be able to have better dice then that other chapter.

Casperatis

Hi guys,

Crystal Caste marches lock step with Chessex on pricing but want $20+ for shipping. Koplow has a 1000pc minimum order per die for custom.

I have found one person who does custom bags. Are the Images we want to use Copyright or no? I haven't seen anything either direction so that is my hold up. People have said both.

If someone has a good, well sized 2 tone image of the three dice facings that would be great. Pm me and I will give you my email address. The lady I am talking to now can do colored embroidery, so if someone wants to look at Art that would be great.

The one person I found who would be able to do custom embroidered dice bags (They look nice and she stands behind them) but she wont mess with a copy right image. (I can't blame her)

I am continuing to try to find the best answer. It looks like embroidered bags will be expensive though ($40+ with limited quantity discounts)

http://dicepouch.com/gallery.php?id=15

Something like the above with two colored exterior and a third colored liner. Embroidery on one panel. The bag has a flat bottom and will act as a corral for the dice you are not using :-)

Any more thoughts would be great.

Paul

Hi guys,

Crystal Caste marches lock step with Chessex on pricing but want $20+ for shipping. Koplow has a 1000pc minimum order per die for custom.

I have found one person who does custom bags. Are the Images we want to use Copyright or no? I haven't seen anything either direction so that is my hold up. People have said both.

If someone has a good, well sized 2 tone image of the three dice facings that would be great. Pm me and I will give you my email address. The lady I am talking to now can do colored embroidery, so if someone wants to look at Art that would be great.

The one person I found who would be able to do custom embroidered dice bags (They look nice and she stands behind them) but she wont mess with a copy right image. (I can't blame her)

I am continuing to try to find the best answer. It looks like embroidered bags will be expensive though ($40+ with limited quantity discounts)

http://dicepouch.com/gallery.php?id=15

Something like the above with two colored exterior and a third colored liner. Embroidery on one panel. The bag has a flat bottom and will act as a corral for the dice you are not using :-)

Any more thoughts would be great.

Paul

I'm not that interested in the bag but I'd definitely rock 10 of each dice set for sure.

Are the Images we want to use Copyright or no? I haven't seen anything either direction so that is my hold up. People have said both.

Is the idea of a "sword and wings" icon copyrighted? Hell no!

Are these *particular renditions* of "sword and wings" icons copyrighted?

nav.gificon7.gif

You bet your arse they are. That goes for the *particular rendition* of the "sword and wing" icon that Ravenwing use as well. Whoever said that they are not does not know what they are talking about.

That being said, some companies will make the dice for you anyways, but some may not.

I'd be down for regular DA dice and black die with white ravenwing symbol to go with my other army. Though I've been thinking about designing these and loading them onto ShapeWays for 3d printing.

Keep in mind that it would be more expensive to go that route (probably $8 - $10 for 5 dice). I wouldn't know until I made and uploaded a .dae file to ShapeWays though. You would also have to color them yourself, because I haven't done anything with colored files. Even if I did, you would have to get dice made of sandstone, which would be even more expensive.

Are the Images we want to use Copyright or no? I haven't seen anything either direction so that is my hold up. People have said both.

nav.gificon7.gif

You bet your arse they are. That goes for the *particular rendition* of the "sword and wing" icon that Ravenwing use as well. Whoever said that they are not does not know what they are talking about.

That being said, some companies will make the dice for you anyways, but some may not.

I believe there's also some ambiguity in the law around us providing the design. Chessex (or any other company) are not advertising those icons on dice, nor offering to print them with advertisement on their website. They are merely offering a service to print a design we, the customer, provide. There's a case for fair use and a number of other things. we should be safe from legal reprisal.

@Pbenner - have a chat with KOed dice bags (link earlier in the thread). They're about £15 sterling.

Pbenner

Here is what I have researched so far.

Got the same place as you did for the dice bags. (great minds think alike)

There is no place that makes custom dice for the deathwing(red pits on ivory) well that is cheap.

Chessex is the way to go for the dice... I checked out about 20 dice companies.

Now with this copywrite stuff....

I have currently emailed Games-Workshop with information about this. And if we do need written consent, to see about getting it. As others have ordered these products for a while now I don't see why we would need this. Then again we are the unforgiven and would most likely be the ones caught by this. Wouldn't it be funny in the paper.

"The unforgiven are Unforgiven"

If I was games workshop I would be all over this. Lol

When I get an email back I will let you know on what needs to be done.

Untill then you really should gauge the intrest with a new post on what,if we can do this, the people want. Ie. Amounts of each dice to get a feel of what kind of order is going to happen. Also maybe hit up some other forums to see if they want some also. Larger amount = less the dice will cost.

Again if you you need any help. I will do whatever you need. I really want this to happen.

Casperatis

I have currently emailed Games-Workshop with information about this. And if we do need written consent, to see about getting it. As others have ordered these products for a while now I don't see why we would need this. Then again we are the unforgiven and would most likely be the ones caught by this. Wouldn't it be funny in the paper.

And shortly after, every dice manufacturer will receive a written notice to not use their copyrighted images on dice from here on out.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but you kind of killed off any chances of this being done by notifying them about it. Hopefully it will be fine though.

Ok, after looking at GW's site and there legal pages...

I am seeing under under there "what you can and can't do" we might not be able to do this without paperwork, or we can, it's kind of vague on the subject. With that being said...

If I inadvertently slowed this process down, it is the right thing to do. I do not see why GW would not let us use there images for this project. I have been a supporter of GW since the RT days and would not want to take from them. Again if we would do this and it is against there IP we all could be in trouble. Along with everyone else that has done this in the past. We should all be upbeat about this, I know I still am and can't wait for my reply saying "go for it".

Let's keep this alive and find out how many people want these dice.

Pbenner - would you like to set up a new post and find out how many people are going to be gettig these dice to gauge the interest? I would be happy to do this for you if you need the help. Just shoot me a line.

Casperatis

The possible IP issue is why our regular dice maker (and the one prior that Shabadoo has used for the Orky dice) won't do GW related images. It is why when we did the dice for the Blood Angel Charity we had to do a skull with IX and blood drop tear instead of the BA symbol.

The reason we haven't used Chessex in the past is because at the volume we regularly do dice at (1500-3000 a go) they just can't meet that. We are limited to 500 or so a run and that real limits what we can offer folks. Plus the fact that while we could do 3-4 500 dice orders, we wouldn't get a discount for doing 2,000 dice like we do from the other manufacturers.

nav.gificon7.gif

I believe there's also some ambiguity in the law around us providing the design. Chessex (or any other company) are not advertising those icons on dice, nor offering to print them with advertisement on their website. They are merely offering a service to print a design we, the customer, provide. There's a case for fair use and a number of other things. we should be safe from legal reprisal.

There is no ambiguity, no fair use here at all, and there is is no "Chessex isn't advertising the GW symbols to make money" safety angle here either. The simple fact is that they would be making money based on the IP of others, because you want *that particular IP* on your dice, and no other, and that is the bottom line. That is why there is a legal issue here, and why many companies simply won't take on a project like this. Might as well get together and have a bunch of Star Wars action figures custom made, and then expect those who actually own the Star Wars IP and action figure licenses to have their lawyers not rip you a new a-hole. It is better not to leave yourself open to such a thing. I have already had dealings with a dice company who has had dealings with GW regarding what is, and is not, acceptable to GW for them to make, so I know of what I speak.

I merely advise caution, as nobody wants a project like this to get sand bagged in the middle of it; especially after money has been collected/transferred. Now, if GW gives permission for the project then that would be great. I wouldn't count on it though.

Please everyone post in the group buy for how many you would like. Let's keep this forum for discussion.

Here is the group by

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...248031&st=0

Thanks everyone. Last numbers I have, we just passed the 400 mark for each dice. And love the idea of the reverse colors but am not sure it will be able to be done. What is everyone's interest in these

White dice with green DA symbol

White dice with black RW symbol

Red dice with white DW symbol

Just remember the pits will be black.

Again remember the DW dice will have black pits. Just the symbol will be a sufferer color.

How will we organise payment? We pay you and you pay them? I assume you dont want to take a $700 hit to you bank account?

It was my intention to collect money ahead of time via Paypal and use that account to purchase said dice.

I like you guys but I don't want to swallow owning a bunch of dice that haven't been paid for. For US based people I am planning on using flat rate shipping so you will know exact costs ahead of time. International will have to be on a case by case basis. Either ship them out one person in said country or ship them from here.

Best,

Paul

Archived