The Aphotican Oath - A Word Bearer Warband (Update: Aug 24)

A D-B

I know there are some sensitive souls on here, but being sensitive on behalf of someone else is new to me.

Nothing in ADB's style either on here or his blog would suggest to me he would be in anyway bothered by people asking for pictures.

One last warning guys, it wasnt even a month ago when I left a comment advising everyone to avoid the non constructive comments. As this is the second in-thread nudge, any further derailment will result in formal warnings for inappropriate conduct when advised against it.

Please remember that all our board members do have real lives and real life will take priority. I'm sure the OP will post updates when the time is available.

POST MINIATURES! seriously the anticipation is killing me.

Don't get your hopes up. As I said, I'm not a painter, or a modeller. At best, I'm a head-swapping dipper, which sounds like some kind of weak, duck-based dinosaur.

seriously, guys give him a break. His wedding is in a week or two and I doubt he really has the time to model right now.

The thread started over a month ago, and there was mention on pictures. Bad planning.

Accusing a novelist of bad planning. In other shock news, water is wet.

Please remember that all our board members do have real lives and real life will take priority. I'm sure the OP will post updates when the time is available.

In my defence, since starting this thread, I've signed 3,000 pages for a limited edition novella; started and finished a Horus Heresy audio drama; written a fifth of a novel; and got married. The summer's been a bit busy. I'm in Bruges right now, halfway through my honeymoon, typing this and cruising forums because Cathy's asleep.

That said, I did get 2 Word Bearers done (and, from nowhere, a Red Scorpion...), and Cathy got a camera I can finally use, with some of our wedding present money. So when I'm back next week, I'll finally have a pic to show.

Still, I wouldn't hold your breath. They're not going to change anyone's lives. You'll see the same stuff clutched in the greasy, chocolate-stained fingers of the world's averagest 14-year-old in your local store.

I know there are some sensitive souls on here, but being sensitive on behalf of someone else is new to me.

Nothing in ADB's style either on here or his blog would suggest to me he would be in anyway bothered by people asking for pictures.

Naw, it's all good. Even if people weren't playing nice (and they are), I'm hard to offend with banter.

Given how sloooowwwww I am, I expected a bit of "My God, guy, speed the hell up".

Is good. Is fine.

actually considering all youve done (getting married and all) I am amazed you got 2 marines done, I cant even paint 5 marines if I had an entire week free :P

this, entirely

i've painted 3 models, have test made several bases for them and finally picked the ones i like, and now need to undercoat and paint them - so half completed 3 models - in the last 6 weeks

and congrats (obviously more about the wedding than the models)

Lorgar sends me demanding a tithe, mighty Apostle! We need images, lest your second soul rise to the fore and murder your models with a ferocity that, when it's gone, leaves you nothing more than a blithering mess. RISE, I SAY.

I'm sure i saw that Rachel playing with her Night Lords at warhammer world. Be glad she's on your side man, she looks dangerous.

Hah. I'm totally not.

The other people in the campaign don't need to know that however. Just rock up with sharp nails and a mean attitude and watch them capitulate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Words cannot express how busy I've been these last few months.

And seeing as it's not set to get any less busy, several of us in the campaign have started fitting in precious hobby time between the cracks of Real Work and Other Jazz.

Right now, I'm having to use my useless webcam for photos, just to show a little evidence that I'm actually getting somewhere. My first squad and their Rhino are just about made, and here are the first 6 guys (5 Chaos Marines, and an Icon Bearer) to show a rough guide to the various bitz going on. Like I said, nothing particularly special or unique. I'm a pretty basic kitbasher.

All of them are missing their left shoulder pads right now. I've got more on order.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6075881159_39c272880a_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6075880939_67cafe0c88_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6075880737_cbc3048fe4_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6075880565_b50b90044e_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/6076416808_bf8288c8ca_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6076416594_752542a3e2_z.jpg

I've also been musing a little more on my army lore. Fluff. Whatever. The conversion/bitz on offer for following a god like Khorne or Tzeentch holds a lot of appeal (as does the story potential...), rather than sticking to Chaos Undivided. That'd make my warband more of a splinter faction, like The Sanctified. I could live with that, and it's pretty tempting.

Obviously, with so long to go, army lists and fluff is subject to change. I still like my core idea too much to change very much of it, but I may refine some bits as I get closer to finalising it all. The Chaos side is already planning our opening fiction, involving our Chaos Lords meeting on neutral ground for the first time.

In other news, we're arranging a few smaller games (1,000 points, or 750 points Doubles' games) early in 2012, rather than waiting the full year to start at 1,500.

I tried to get a picture of my test mini, but he looked terrible (and all the wrong colours), so to hell with that.

Still, it has begun.

Ohh Nice! :D Realy like the third one the corvus dual weald ;) realy nice! and the last one is realy cool too!! awesome to see som models mate! hope to see some more soon and its not hard to understant that there is little time over for models... ;) hope all is well and going awesome with the writhings!!!

Cheers mate!

Filthy Heretics! You will be cleansed from my Imperium by my own hands! On a regular note, the models look great. I still want to see your "artistic ability" you gripe about being horrible at. If dipping can make tyranids look good, so to can the heretics.

Can't wait to see more updates.

Actually, I'll be honest, that first marine is my favorite. That helmet has always screamed 'Star of Chaos' to me and it just really fits well with a word bearer. There is a very nice mix of chaosy bitz with purity seals to add that oomph that just makes him a bad ass in my book.

Now as for your interest in the tzeentch and khorne aspects of chaos, I would like to make a suggestion if you don't mind. Perhaps what you could do is keep the bulk of your force as word bearers so you can keep the chaos undivided aspect but as for your cult troops, you could use the sanctified as your khorne berzerkers. As for fluff reasons, the Sanctified are a splinter of the word bearers and from the way I see word bearers, their way is the only way and I'm sure they aren't fond of their own brothers trailing off the path. (good example is Arguleon from Daemon World) and so the Aphotican Oath at one point hunted down and purged a small contingent of Sanctified. As for the survivors, they offered them a chance of redemption in slavery or be used in some horrific ritual that will eat away their soul And so the remaining sanctified are used as suicide runners and shock troops sent in to fight where the carnage is greatest and in death will redeem themselves in the eyes of the legion. You could use something similar to this for some tzeentch marines if you so choose. Just an idea though.

Otherwise, nice start and if you don't mind me asking, are those painted possessed marines and a night lord next to your desk top? :(

Thats some good kit-bashing! Glad to see you've found some time to work on the boys. I have to say my favorite mini is between the first one and the dual-welding one. I really like the helmet of the first one and the pose of the dual-welding marine is superb. Cannot wait to see them all painted.

Ahh. Looks nice.

Something: The second marine, the standard bearer. The banner seems to somehow clash with the robes. I think it's the fact the cloth on the standard has a lot of detail on it, the star/holes/tattered edges, but his robes are completely smooth.

Also, the fifth marine's belt pouches on the front, from the photo they seem to stick out rather a lot?

Otherwise, they seem good.

Archived