Sagas of the Fang

Firenze

I did actually play Dark Angels as my first SM army.

aye! i gues there are only a few of us greybeards left who still remember you joinging here with the dual army thing going on. :unsure:

as for the comic, it's clean and solid painting but i'm wondering how the story will evolve, will it be just purely action, or will there also be text blocks of events occuring? also looking forward to those sketches of everyone!

I did actually play Dark Angels as my first SM army.

aye! i gues there are only a few of us greybeards left who still remember you joinging here with the dual army thing going on. :P

as for the comic, it's clean and solid painting but i'm wondering how the story will evolve, will it be just purely action, or will there also be text blocks of events occuring? also looking forward to those sketches of everyone!

There will be a story, this was a tester really. Just to see how it worked. I'm hoping to keep it following the previous 2 chapters. And also I may chop and change between text and comic, dependent on the tone of the bit.

• 2 months later...

Guys and girls, I am back. And I have a new chapter done. This is not a comic unfortunately, and does not follow on from the comic. This follows on from the written chapters. The comic was only a test, and is definitely something that will crop up again. So will artwork. But here it is, chapter 3:

Chapter 3:

The vox crackled with static as the rounds whizzed overhead.

‘Alpha Pack Fenris, we are on your beam. Hold out for 2 minutes. Evac is inbound.’

Firenze snarled inside his fanged helm. Two minutes was too long. The squad was coming under heavy assault as they fought their way towards the pick up point. He sprinted forwards, his heavy boots clanging against the rockcrete ground with every step.

‘Warhorse, NOW!’ he shouted, vaulting over a barricade and slamming into the chest of an enemy human, completely crushing his ribcage with the force of the impact.

As he landed, he rolled, for Warhorse had just unleashed a torrent of heavy bolter rounds at the heretics from his elevated position upon a burnt out Chimera tank, the hull gutted and aflame. Firenze came back to his feet as the fullisade ended, drawing his axes and slamming both of them down into two unwitting heretics in front of him. He loved these weapons. He had forged them himself years ago, back when he was an initiate into the Iron Brotherhood. Fenrisian runes decorated the shaft of each, spelling ‘War’ and ‘Wolf’ on each. He swung his left axe, ‘Wolf’, burying it into the chest of something to his left while his foot lashed out, taking the head off of another one of the Blood Fiends in front of him.

He sniffed the air and howled. The tang of blood was in the air, strong even through the helmet filters.He could sense his pack around him, Maverik and the other Grey Hunters on the left side of the narrow street, laying down a barrage of suppressive yet lethal bolter fire as the moved up, cover to cover behind the Blood Claws led by Hendrik. Warhorse and the rest of the command team, including Ragnarok, Skadi and Irlin were moving up behind him, following in the trail of destruction the Wolves where causing as they attempted to get to safety. A few of the pack returned his howl, breaking the morale of the already frightened ambushers. As they turned to flee, a plasma round roared out of nowhere and slammed into their ranks.

‘Warhorse, move up with Skadi and Irlin, give cover to the Blood Claws! Maverik, Jonas! Move you and your pack mates up to the crossroads! Secure the landing zone for the Thunderhawks! Hendrik! Do the same! Go now!’ Ragnarok roared into the vox. Firenze turned to his lord and saluted quickly as he sprinted forwards to the disabled Predator tank that the pack had been trying to rescue. Sliding into cover behind the bullet ridden hull of the mighty vehicle, he grabbed a bunch of wires from his servo pack, jamming them into the uplink port on the side of the sponson lascannon. His vision swam as his neural uplinks connected with the tank’s machine spirit.

He opened his eyes once more, not viewing a war stricken city, but a virtual battlefield. His pack mates were glowing blue spheres, the buildings formed of singlular lines, like a blueprint made real. He turned towards the tank, reading the data that spilled out before his eyes. Track links 12 through 34 damaged, weapon systems at minimal power, engines 2 and 3 overheated. 2 crew dead, one heavy injuries. He read the tanks name. Russ’s Honour.

‘Honour, I will get you to safety. Do not fear machine spirit. Help is on its way.’

The machine spirit acknowledged and thanked him as he disconnected, the sharp thud of returning back to reality collapsed him onto the rubble of the streets.

Maverik sprinted over, firing as he slid sideways into cover next to the prone Firenze. He gave him a nice hard slap to the back of the head, jolting him out of his daze.

‘No time for napping Iron Priest, we have a tank to recover!’ jested Maverik.

‘Aye brother. Just help me get the driver out, he is still alive.’

They both got up, Maverik tossing Firenze his bolter as he leapt onto the hull of the Honour. The bolter chattered away as the Grey Hunter reached down inside the driver’s cabin to pull out the injured Wolf.

As they returned to the ground, and began to help the broken brother, there was an almighty crash as a tank shell thudded into the building nearby, the rubble cascading down its façade.

‘MAN DOWN!!’ screamed Decoy. ‘Mikals down!!’

The rubble had landed on top of the young Grey Hunter, and a chunk of rebar had speared him through the left heart. With and almighty heave, the rest of the pack dragged him out of the rubble, just as the enemy AT70 tank rumbled into the centre of the crossroads. Its turret began to swing towards the pinned down Space Wolves.

‘Tank!!! Get down!!!!’ shouted Hendrik, throwing himself to the floor, the rest of the pack swiftly following suit.

The air was filled fire as the tank exploded, multiple rockets slamming into the hull of the enemy vehicle, cooking off the ammunition and ripping it into pieces. Firenze spun to find the source and spotted it. Three Thunderhawks, one the tank transporter variant were speeding towards them.

‘Present for you Alpha Pack, hope you like it,’ voxed the pilot.

‘You took your sweet time!’ replied Ragnarok, as the gunships swooped in to land. The transporter came to a perfect stop over the Honour, its clamps swinging down to secure the tank in place before it took off once again with a roar of turbines, straining with the extra mass. The pack leapt aboard the remaining two, carrying their wounded as they clambered into the hull.

Firenze patted the hull as he ran into the yawning mouth of the gunship.

‘Alpha Pack is mounted up, lets go!’ he voxed, the mighty Thunderhawk kicking off of the ground in a cloud of dust, its twin doing the same. The Iron Priest turned to Decoy, who was removing Mikals armour to get to his wounds.

‘Get him sorted. I don’t want us to lose anyone else.’

Decoy snarled in his direction. The beast inside of them all was strong, especially since it had seen its pack mate go down.

‘At least we are out of this,’ he sighed, collapsing onto the deck.

A vox rune blipped up on his visor. It was the pilot.

‘What now?’ he moaned.

‘Bandits on our six!! Strap in! This’ll get bumpy!’

I also have two songs for you to listen to. One that inspired this chapter:

And one to get you in the mood for the next chapter:

;)

• 3 weeks later...

This is great Firenze! I have been thinking about trying to make a comic for awhile and your post is really helping motivate me. (Warhorse’s too)

And Hendrik, thanks for the idea to do part written, part comic! I have been agonizing over how to tell a story without paneling every little detail. My meager skills are definitely not up to that! Now I just need to find the time to do it.

This is great Firenze! I have been thinking about trying to make a comic for awhile and your post is really helping motivate me. (Warhorse’s too)

And Hendrik, thanks for the idea to do part written, part comic! I have been agonizing over how to tell a story without paneling every little detail. My meager skills are definitely not up to that! Now I just need to find the time to do it.

:tu: was that really my idea?

anyway firenze, have you had time to sit down and continue the story a bit? i need some distraction! :P

:tu: was that really my idea?

anyway firenze, have you had time to sit down and continue the story a bit? i need some distraction! :P

agreed! we miss you here at the Fang, wherever you are!

propably sipping some red whine while wearing his DA dress while hiding in a closet....

now if this doesn't get him reacting i don't know what else will! :tu:

So I've just joined the BC and the fang. Am loving all of this stuff and the same group seems to be around a lot. Like forte, Hendrek, Mav, firezene and chap. So cool stories keep 'em coming. Also strong words Hendrik you may have to prepare for your character death

propably sipping some red whine while wearing his DA dress while hiding in a closet....

now if this doesn't get him reacting i don't know what else will! :)

we have honey wine in FENRIS what's this red wine you speak off? LOL Skadi is intrigue now... haha

So I've just joined the BC and the fang. Am loving all of this stuff and the same group seems to be around a lot. Like forte, Hendrek, Mav, firezene and chap. So cool stories keep 'em coming. Also strong words Hendrik you may have to prepare for your character death

Oh dear. Think we may have a new whelp in the ranks a.d in competition with Greenhorn ;-)

Oh dear. Think we may have a new whelp in the ranks a.d in competition with Greenhorn ;-)

aye, you see whelp, i'm one of the greybeards. a special kind of space wolves that's been residing inside the fang so long he's been elevated into the ranks of the grey hunters. under our might entire empires have crippled! our watchfull eye has seen a thousand uprisings crushed beneath our mighty hands. we are the sixth!

and on a side note, we never ever kill a friends character...stun, lose a bodypart or something maybe but never his life. :D note this doesn't mean we don't lock up whelps in various vehicles cargo compartments ;)

HENDRICK! FORTE! COME WITH ME!

[mutters something about leaving the pup alone while there is Wolfwhiz and Bolter Babes in the hottub that was just installed in Daniel]

I'm there.

So is this a step towards promotion from being a pup?

Archived