Stobz'z Legends.... Hello Darkness, my old friend...

Go to solution Solved by Interrogator Stobz,

I was thinking of quitting the dark angels because, they are not as easily powerful as other sm armies. 

but then a friend of mine invited me to something else. something big, apocalypse.

he has something like 14'000pts of guards, over 10'000pts of custodes, SW, admech.

alright he does get a game of apocalypse every week-end. but then he can use everything.

So now I am following the same pattern with my 9000pts (all painted) of firstborn, RW and DW. they are are going on full scale apocalypse.

but I have some primaris, they'll come from another company.

And moreover, please wait for the 9th edition to come out. maybe the firstborns are going somewhere. :whistling:

Lolz, maybe I'll wait and see.

The urge to go dark is strong; but will be a crap tonne of work to make it work.

I should invest in the new Apoc rules, playing large 40k just doesn't work anymore.

I hear it's a great rule set.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Couldn't you just designate your DA as a 'historical' force, representing the Chapter in the years immediately prior to the birth of the Great Rift/arrival of the Primaris etc.

It would be no different from people who collect armies set in other time periods, for example the Badab Wars, or Age of Apostasy. I mean certain 40k armies have to be historic rather than contemporary (Astral Claws for example, or Fire Hawks).

That way you can ignore the introduction of Primaris and the new lore, and just concentrate on the aspects of the hobby that you enjoy.

The only potential problem would be if Firstborn marines are phased out, and their rules no longer exist. But you know that won't happen as long as GW continues to sell them, and if all the doomsayers are right and the range is discontinued (not convinced myself but whatever), you know they'll moved to Legends and have permanent rules there instead.

Just my two cents.

Thanks Lost, can't wait to see what your next project is.

Fierce Bear: it's a valid idea, but I don't like the two scales in the same force, it looks horrible to my eye. Any option for this army will be totally without Primaris in it.

There are still masses of the Classic range I want to buy; GW don't need to worry about that unless they make Classics into Legend, because I won't waste money on things that are going away. Nor will I spend on the new replacement options because they make no sense tactically and are not my thing aesthetically.

Hulk mate: thanks for the advice, ignoring is impossible and futile, Primaris are on the tables near me all the time. Nearly half my group use them and we play in the current timeline. So I need fluff to enshrine my army's position against the betrayal of the Emperor.

Fajita Fan: I also don't think Astartes are going away anytime soon, but replacement is a different thing to redundancy. If my boys go Dark to rebel against the betrayal they remove the redundancy issue.

Now if GW handwavium makes both the 8 and 10 foot tall Astartes 2W,2A and gives them all access to better bolters and ammo they also stop being redundant, but I'm not waiting a decade for them to shift mindsets again...

So; Hello Darkness, my old friend.

Maybe when the Lion returns it's because of a combination of Land's tech and Bile's shenanigans.

And combined they create a gene implant that makes Astartes equal to Primaris without the awkward height gain that stops them using Astartes vehicles.

The Lion would seize upon that to boost his current Legion without needing to wait for attrition or risking the Rubicon.

Yup, sounds great :P

Hey Stobz-

Just to toss in my two cents, I'm really happy to hear you aren't selling your army- the range you've collected, and standard you painted too should be something cherished whether you decided to retire the army or not (assuming storage and finances aren't a problem of course). And whatever you decide, I hope you'll be able to stick around here- you're part of this forum and community that'd be greatly missed.

On how to proceed, obviously only you know what's best, but I'd hate to see them repainted as fallen/renegades. I don't know if it works for you, but I've been trying to reconcile height differences between firstborn and Primaris through taller bases (putting a piece of cork on top of 32mm base for firstborn). Obviously not perfect and you can see it if you're looking for it, but I've found its made the difference palatable for me at least. I had the same problem with old CSM models as well- the old DV chosen, then new CSM range, Thousand Sons, and Death Guard all seem to tower over the old kit.  Not sure if that'd be a problem for you running running your army with different rules.

The lore idea I had that's in the same vein your original idea but not quite as radical, is to try and leverage off the legion-building and secrecy aspect of DA's, plus the idea of 40k history and codex as being written by unreliable narrators. Sure, the official story is Azrael said Primaris are in and everyone said ok, but does that sound like the DA we know? Or was there probably an awful lot of DA and successors who weren't cool with that idea? Maybe what they actually did was form multiple "3rd" (or 4th or 5th or...) companies, some with only trusted firstborn marines, and some for show with Primaris. And if anyone asks any questions about why there's two 3rd companies, well, the galaxy is a big place, accidents happen, and its not like the DA would ever keep a secret from the Imperium. And we know there's circles within circles within circles for the Ravenwing and Deathwing, and not much evidence they are kept to 100 members each. So even if a few Primaris are being inducted, they may find they're not being inducted very far. And if they can't use the same transports or teleportation technology, well then how many crucial missions are those Primaris actually going to go on?

Anyway, that's me rambling way too long in your thread, but I hope you find a way to continue to find joy in your Dark Angels army whatever you decide.

Edited by Galloway

• 1 month later...

Well, the goalposts constantly move in this hobby.

With the confirmation of 2W  Astartes it's worthwhile putting some effort back into my Battle Company.

2W dudes deserve 32mm bases, luckily I've been prepared despite my cynical outlook.

Next project, get these bad boys underfoot:

50222812073_8a553aebec_z.jpg

The extra bonus of GeeDubs wise change is that it no longer seems weird having vehicles with crap drivers in people's Primaris armies.

Yikes, just read through this, I'm glad you've come through this test of faith with resolve befitting the chapter.

There's nothing new stopping you from putting the grim darkness back in 40k as it should be.

It's an amazing collection and the tributes listed demonstrate the impact your skills have had through the community.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20 Robed Tacticools rebased onto 32s, 40 Tacts to go.

Progress has been made...should have them done by Friday then it's 20 Assaulters and 20 Devs after that.

The 'footprint' change is massive, so much so that they no longer fit in their storage container. First World problems :P

50432108893_2ecfe960fe_c.jpg

Will work on finishing up the changes in weapons and shoulders on the robed guys bit by bit so they have the same look as their peers.

Then maybe I can move onto their Bossman.

Tacticool Squad 4 on their new bases. For minis I painted nearly a decade ago they are holding up alright:

50442691962_72983e8aff_c.jpg

Feels good to be back on the Greenwing log, the other Wings are freaken fantastic but these feel like me.

Thanks B,

I have, since posting that pic been stuck to the basing job today. I have completed all my 60 Tacticools barring a matt varnish spray (too windy) and are now working on 20 Aslts, 20 Devs and 2x5 Vets. They are all glued on and will dry overnight for sanding and painting tomorrow and early next week.

Most of my robed dudes, Tacts and Vets have had weapon and other bling swaps so they will require some love to bring up to completion, I'm not totally looking forward to that but needs must.

Does anyone know what our Vets options will look like in either C:SM or the DA Supp next year? I am assuming we have lost our generic Company Vets and are moving to Sternguard or something similar....

Company vets now can recomprise a command squad, so are in the base Codex: Space Marines.

I do not have the book yet, but I think there are conditionals for Dark Angels to have the options, even when the rest of the chapters do not.