Scratchbuilt Arvus Lighter project(In a slightly larger scal

Now, is this meant for tabletop or display? As (bleep)-awesome as those are, I can't help but thinking they're not exactly heroic scale.

Thanks. As i mentioned in my first post, i don't game at all. I am just interested in the design as a standalone model project.

I love the design itself, so i wanted a bigger version.

First : you're insane!

second : That's great! (even if didn't know notting about this particular ship)

and third where are these crew men (and women) came from?

Good job!

Thanks a lot. If you check my last reply, it has a link for the female figures. It's a Hobbylinkjapan URL.

Niiiiiiice :-)

Thanks! It's a lovely design. I'm just making it bigger.

Superb stuff!

Never seen anything forty kay done to this scale or level of detail and am impressed beyond words! Awesome work, really breaths live into the mythos of the game. :tu:

Yeah. It's surprising to me that no-one else has ever attmepted this kind of thing. Even if just for display. I have a Thunderbolt planned(There is a WIP image in amongst the images of the main hull with the cockpit in scale with the Arvus).

Wow, that is really cool! You should try your hand at a Thunderhawk, or a Stormbird; I bet you could really do one of the justice. Awesome job, dude!

Thanks a lot. I am very tempted to try the Thunderhawk. I am guessing that in this scale it would be a shade under five feet long. Not really a model(I could practically fly it to the shops, lol...), but still do-able...

I'd need decent reference. I'll have to root around for pictures of the kit.

Whoah! I assume you didn't have a pattern or anything, which makes it even more impressive. :D

I had plently of images i found on the net. And a paper model. But the majority of the sizes and parts are just eyeballed from pictures.

Here is a folder of all my Arvus ref: https://rapidshare.com/files/397443401/Warhammer_Arvus.rar

Bravo, brother. That model looks sweet. I hope it's getting painted soon... ;)

Thanks. There is a specific order to which i must adhere in the building/painting. The interior of the rear bay is where the cables for the lighting will be getting hidden(Under the floor and above the ceiling). So, when the lighting is finalised, i must paint the interior bay, install the lighting and seal the interior. It can't be painted afterwards so it needs done before the hull gets glued together. Then the front end will need to be glued to the rear hull and painted. And then the cockpit, then the wings.

The entire thing has to fit together like a lego kit. I am just working all that out. And i still have a few pieces to build before it's ready to be finally assembled.

Not long to go though.

Uh.

Yeah.

That goes beyond amazing. It starts at amazing, then keeps going. Wonderful work.

+1

Ludovic

Thanks guys. I appreciate your kind words. Hopefully i will impress with the final item.

Hats off to you mate, you have skills far beyond that of any techmarine!

The addition of the cargo bay lighting was really cool.

Look forward to following the progress of your project ;)

Thanks. It's a very enjoyable project. Which is why i have breezed through it in a few weeks.

I can't wait to get this one done.

More soon guys!

Today i made the turbine intake for the main engines, and got a start on a greeblie part for the lift fans under the wings(I am going to be using the intakes from the styrene Storm Raven kit).

I will have pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

:tu: It looks really good. REALLY good. The lights were a really nice touch. :D

Thanks. In the pics before i added the lights, the interior was far too dark, so i knew it needed it's own lighting circuit. And it helped to sell the scale too.

Absolutely love this, almost tempts me to go 1/6 scale with a few projects :lol:

My goodness... That would be very large. I'd like to see a 1/6 Thunderhawk... :lol:

Dont hate me but wheres the Power Armour? :lol:

I did consider sculpting a 1/20 figure of an "in universe" character for the dio. But although i am making the Arvus and it's a Warhammer design, i like adding normal human figures to give it a look of the real world, even though it's still fantasy.

You have some god damn skills though so get a Storm Raven knocked up and blow the GW one out the sky ;)

Thanks. I will most likely do that next. Either that or a Thunderhawk. But i expect a Storm Raven will be a bit easier...

The Arvus lighter is 1) Imperial Navy, so it qualifies, and 2) used by the Emperor's Holy Ordos, so it doubly qualifies.

I am not familiar with the Emperor's Holy Ordos. But i am a total noob when it comes to internal reference in Warhammer.

Nice. But can ya do a 1/20 scale Titan?

I probably could. But i'd need a lot of room to store it i expect.

Just kidding. That's really impressive work.

EDIT: (forgot something before I hit post)

The detail your putting into that Arvus is really pushing me to adding more detail to my own scratch build project.

Sweet. I like that design. Might give it a go myself.

Looks awesome, love the attention to detail. Epic.

Thanks a lot. The detail always sells the build. When i get down to the final levels of detail, i will have to add access panels. All aircraft have them. And this will be no exception.

Look forward to following the progress of your project :lol:

I must agree. Your constructive skills exceeds those of a techmarine by far.

Look forward to following the progress of your project :lol:

I must agree. Your constructive skills exceeds those of a techmarine by far.

Thanks. Sent to Mars for thirty years of training and taught the machine lore? That was a holiday trip at the beach compared to my training...

:lol:

I just wanted to see an estimate on the materials u spent just to make this piece of cool craftsmanship.

Keep up the good work!

Ahhh. As to an estimate of actual cost, it's never the materials, but the time and skill involved.

But if you want to know the exact cost as regards materials so far, i have used nearly one full sheet of styrene(£20), one 8-LED light set(12), four plumbing couples for the engines(£10), and had to get a bespoke LED wiring loom made up for the Navigation lights(£20). I can't get an accurate cost on the moulds made for the cockpit/intake/seat and side pods. And i usually write those off anyway as they can be used a lot of times.

So the cost so far has been about the same as the Forgeworld Arvus kit.

As to the VALUE of the Arvus... That's a totally different story. An item only has value to those who think it does.

There are undoubtably 99 people out of 100 who would look at this and think it's not worth the materials and time spent on it so far.

But there will always be one person who appreciates it's true worth.

I got contacted by a guy the other day who asked what the materials cost was, and after hearing the cost was about £62, offered me £100 for the whole thing(After i finished it of course). I tried to gently break it to him that the time spent on it meant i'd have to get at least £500 from this build to have any kind of return on my time.

Needless to say that was not the figure he had been thinking of...

:P

Bloody crazy. I'm amazed at the material cost. Though, I'm not surprised at the cost u were giving that guy. That much cash at his estimate is hardly worth that much time.

Hope there would be more projects like this u can post here. I'm sure many people would be impressed to this.

And who knows? Someone may offer a reasonable estimate.

I just wanted to see an estimate on the materials u spent just to make this piece of cool craftsmanship.

Keep up the good work!

Ahhh. As to an estimate of actual cost, it's never the materials, but the time and skill involved.

But if you want to know the exact cost as regards materials so far, i have used nearly one full sheet of styrene(£20), one 8-LED light set(12), four plumbing couples for the engines(£10), and had to get a bespoke LED wiring loom made up for the Navigation lights(£20). I can't get an accurate cost on the moulds made for the cockpit/intake/seat and side pods. And i usually write those off anyway as they can be used a lot of times.

As to the VALUE of the Arvus... That's a totally different story. An item only has value to those who think it does.

There are undoubtably 99 people out of 100 who would look at this and think it's not worth the materials and time spent on it so far.

I got contacted by a guy the other day who asked what the materials cost was, and after hearing the cost was about £62, offered me £100 for the whole thing(After i finished it of course). I tried to gently break it to him that the time spent on it meant i'd have to get at least £500 from this build to have any kind of return on my time.

:P

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant B-tard, while it is a truely impressive model and outstanding effort in producing it, since you have made no mention of offering commission work on this project, I would consider it rude to try to tell you what I am offering to pay for the finished product. If you had something like "I started this project a couple weeks ago but now the Wifey is getting on my case about the space it will take to store I'm trying to sell it off to a good home" sure, I'd probably PM you and ask what you wanted for it.

The question of price vs cost aside, the part that I always fin hilarious is how people try to establish value on a project like this. Is it going to be used in a game? *shrugs* probably not. Does it matter? heck no. There are lots of other reasons for doing something like this. And I think I can take a guess at the most important one for you: Because you can. That alone makes the project and end result worth it to you.

Now hurry up and finish it. I wanna see what else you do.

And any chance of seeing 1/20 scale Marauder Destroyer that's in service to chaos?

:lol:

Know that feeling mate! B)

That's why I avoid commission stuff, not everyone understands that you are effectively paying someone by the hour to build and paint before materials come into consideration.

Really looking forward to seeing the thunderbolt now, but this thing is a real beaut!

Bloody crazy. I'm amazed at the material cost.

Amazed as in "it's high", or amazed that it's so low?

Though, I'm not surprised at the cost u were giving that guy. That much cash at his estimate is hardly worth that much time.

Hope there would be more projects like this u can post here. I'm sure many people would be impressed to this.

And who knows? Someone may offer a reasonable estimate.

Possibly. I am hoping to be able to find the time to make more after i finish with this one.

Fingers crossed that i have the time.

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant B-tard, while it is a truely impressive model and outstanding effort in producing it, since you have made no mention of offering commission work on this project, I would consider it rude to try to tell you what I am offering to pay for the finished product. If you had something like "I started this project a couple weeks ago but now the Wifey is getting on my case about the space it will take to store I'm trying to sell it off to a good home" sure, I'd probably PM you and ask what you wanted for it.

Sure. I know what you mean. To be honest, this project was started because i like the Arvus design but, when it's finished, it will get 100 images taken of it from every possible angle, and then go onto a shelf most likely. That's usually what i do with my builds. I only build for the joy of the build. Not for a finished product to admire.

The question of price vs cost aside, the part that I always fin hilarious is how people try to establish value on a project like this. Is it going to be used in a game? *shrugs* probably not. Does it matter? heck no. There are lots of other reasons for doing something like this. And I think I can take a guess at the most important one for you: Because you can. That alone makes the project and end result worth it to you.

Now hurry up and finish it. I wanna see what else you do.

Lol. I am trying... I did a little work today. See below.

And any chance of seeing 1/20 scale Marauder Destroyer that's in service to chaos?

I had to google the design, but i'd have to say no to that right now. I love the Thunderbolt, but that one doesn't grab me i'm afraid. Sorry!

Looks amazing, and even tough it doesnt fit the 40k scale it might fit the Inquisitor scale.

I just had to google that to find out what it was. Looks like that is 56mm scale, or 1/32 in old money. This Arvus is scaled for 80mm figures. It's waaaay bigger!

Although, you can fit 40K figures in it for sure. It would just make the Arvus a lot bigger...

Great job. It's interesting to see what kind of details people add to models when they scale them up and I really like what you're doing with this one.

Thanks. I am trying to stick as close as possible to the original design. Only changing what i have to.

Know that feeling mate! :)

That's why I avoid commission stuff, not everyone understands that you are effectively paying someone by the hour to build and paint before materials come into consideration.

Really looking forward to seeing the thunderbolt now, but this thing is a real beaut!

Thanks. The Thunderbolt will be next for sure.

Okay guys. Got a little done today.

The lift nozzle mould is done and they look great. Also done is the mold for the intake vanes on the Arvus. They will work a treat and look great too.

But i have not been happy with the engines. The idea of making the Arvus but just using found items for the engines didn't sit well with me.

So this afternoon i got a length of 50mm drainage pipe and cut two sections out. I removed the previous engines and then removed the intakes an added them to the drainage tube. I had to slightly enlarge the holes for the tube on the engine shoulder supports but, even though the engines are detail-less tubes right now, i think it's going to look a lot more accurate now. I have added a couple of 6-LED torches i bought in Poundland as the exhausts and it will be fairly bright. There will be accurate exhaust nozzles covering the torches in case anyone was wondering. I have a cone folding program waiting to go the next time i am at work.

Enjoy the pics.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2225.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2228.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2229.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2230.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2231.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2235.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2236.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2237.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Arvus%20Lighter%20Build/IMG_2239.jpg

The Arvus looks fantastic. Almost identical to the Forge World one.

Also, after seeing those Maschinen Krieger figures, im very tempted to buy some of their stuff.

There are some incredible Ma.K designs. I bet there are a few that you guys would appreciate the look of.

I have loads of Ma.K kits in my stash.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/MaK%20Misc/6fb5377d.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/MaK%20Misc/bad5fbf9.jpg

Archived