interesting game, learned a few things

greatcrusade08

OMG!!! those necrons can surprise you.. they are far more than they appear on paper.

didnt help that my opponent kept bringing them back with RP, and to do so after every pahse makes it hard to kill them off, very hard.

anyway im jumping ahead of myself.

first game vs the grey knight player, he surprised me by putting paladins into reserve (DS) they were combat squaded which explains the choices of wargear.

Draigo started the game attached to the INQ and henchman, i used the opportunity to get rid of him, in the second turn khan took draigos head as a trophy in one on one combat, the chaplain took the INQs head, telion killed the mystic.

so i staretd well, but once all thse GKs started landing next to me things got bad, in one turn i removed over 30 models from the board, all those high Strength AP4 shots are catered to kill scouts and he just wouldnt roll ones for his paladins.

in the end i pulled a draw from the embers with a little luck, i managed to contest his objective and hold on with only 6 models remaining at the end of turn 5,

second game i faced another GK player

5 termies with GKGM

5 termies

INQ with henchman and 3 DCA

2 psyflemen

2 x 10 strike marines

10 jumpy dudes with dual incinerators

i used my scout bikes to wipe out the jumpy teleport guys with an alpha strike, my LSS teams failed to kill the dreads, although one was immobilised with rubbish LOS.

turn 2 khan and ccw scouts charged and wiped out 10 strike GK marines before they could even strike back and then wrestled with GKGM and termies

in the final turns i gained long range firepower superiority and managed to kill off his troops to win by objectives, it was a very close game but no real doubt that i had the obs sewn up

third game againt necrons was a new challenge for me, dont anyone think they are easy to beat, it was an amazing yet fun game.

he had 3 big 20 man units of necrons, one had a veil of darkness and he teleported infront of my snipers turn one, the cryptek had an AP1 flamer which combined with 40 rapid fire gauss shots meant i lost 7 snipers in one shot even with a 2+ cover save.

the monolith was tough, he came on from reserve and brought forward some scarabs who tied up my plasma command squad with fleet and beast charge move (scary far) i killed them off but by then his ctan was on me.

i had to throw my bolter scouts into the combat but eventually killed the Ctan in an intense power struggle.

i have no doubt i would have been wiped out if it werent for my thunderfire cannons, they were magnificent.

the game turned when i managed to wipe out a whole 20 man squad in one shooting phase, once i could kill off whole units they never came back..

and that was the key elsewhere his scarabs werent a problem, but you cant let him tie you up, it is a great stalling tactic.

in the end i won on turn 6 by throwing a lone scout onto an objective.

today korsarro khan killed Draigo and Trazyn the Infinite in single combat...

the two main games were also DoW, so im glad to get results as that is my worst mission type

how did you kill draigo in 1 round of combat? he must have left his batteries at home I guess ;)

Glad to hear you did well :D

i shot the snot out of him first, he had 2 wounds left when khan charged him

I'm heading out, but a quick thing, I don't think Monoliths can come in from reserve, they have to DS, iIrc.

Or was that just a choice of words thing?

Im not sure tbh, the Ctan could put things into reserve and take things out after deployment, which really messed with my head.. its a great rule IMO

Nice games, those Necrons certainly please aren't push overs so it's not so bad. Necron Warriors should get a beating even from just 5 models. A LS Storm get's an additional -2 doesn't it? So that should help break and subsequently wipe units out.

Nice games, those Necrons certainly please aren't push overs so it's not so bad. Necron Warriors should get a beating even from just 5 models. A LS Storm get's an additional -2 doesn't it? So that should help break and subsequently wipe units out.

yes on paper, but you have to get to them, with reserves shenaningans and monolith and veil he sat in reserve and jumped about like a cricket on steroids..

its like trying to grapple and hold down mist..

my scout bikes did do some damage to them though, but a bad outflank roll meant khan, chappy and 10 scouts only contribution was blowing up the comkmand barge and chopping off trazyns head

my t-fires must have easily notched 80 kills (and counting swarm instakills as 1)

edit: actualy 5 ccw scouts charging 20 necrons wont beat them, 15 attacks vs 20 and necrons have better WS

edit: actualy 5 ccw scouts charging 20 necrons wont beat them, 15 attacks vs 20 and necrons have better WS

Well you do have initiative on them as well, which should amount to a couple kills, but you are right the stats are in their favour more or less. Guess I was exaggerating somewhat about the 5 man Scouts beating them so easy, though of course a 5 Bolt Pistol shot into them will take a few off so it could swing in both ways, though it's probably not worth risking it on such equal terms.

Hit a squad with 2 such units of one with a combi-flamer! :)

yes on paper, but you have to get to them, with reserves shenaningans and monolith and veil he sat in reserve and jumped about like a cricket on steroids..

its like trying to grapple and hold down mist..

my scout bikes did do some damage to them though, but a bad outflank roll meant khan, chappy and 10 scouts only contribution was blowing up the comkmand barge and chopping off trazyns head

my t-fires must have easily notched 80 kills (and counting swarm instakills as 1)

This bodes well for the Tau. If they can get that fidgeting style for Necrons, then grabbing Tau could be like the proverbial greased pig. REEEET!

I can't believe how well you get T-Fires to work. The Internet says.... no.

Or Scouts.

Or Storms.

Weirdo. :D /jk jk

:P

I bet the GK players were more than a little surprised first of all to see such a 'not Internet' list from you, and then secondly that you really took it to them. B)

:(

I'm heading out, but a quick thing, I don't think Monoliths can come in from reserve, they have to DS, iIrc.

Well done, anyway :D

Newcron Monolith. pg 47.

SPECIAL RULES: Deep Strike*, Living Metal.

*If a Monolith is held in reserve, it must arrive by Deep Strike.

I cannot spot anything that allows the C'tan to ignore this....

This bodes well for the Tau. If they can get that fidgeting style for Necrons, then grabbing Tau could be like the proverbial greased pig. REEEET!

You sure do have a pretty fish mouth boy.. REEEET REEEET

seriosuly though, some of the rumours about tau could prove interesting, you have to give it to Mat Ward for this new necron dex, he didnt make it so in your face like the GK (in that a noob can pick it up and win with it), but the nuances will give the more expereinced gamers alot to tinker with.

i think the new necron dex will both bring some mixed armies into the game and prevent alot of paladin armies playing at competative levels, that AP1 flamer that test vs Ld is nasty, but it need an FAQ vis-a-vis instant killing.

they have some really good characters too, alot of them, the combinations are almost limitless

I can't believe how well you get T-Fires to work. The Internet says.... no.

Or Scouts.

Or Storms.

Weirdo. :huh: /jk jk

I lol'd.

ive always beleived theres alot of room for the 'unexpected' at tournaments, i dont think ill ever be on the podium but i can still provide a challenge.

the thing with meta is its predictable, and therefore counterable.. if everybodies using similar armies how does that give you a leg up on the opponents?

something ive never understood myself???

I bet the GK players were more than a little surprised first of all to see such a 'not Internet' list from you, and then secondly that you really took it to them. B)

;)

yeah, theres alot of ifs and buts to be taken from every game, strangely ive only actually played paladin armies twice with my scouts, both 'demi' paladin armies which i personally believe are 'better' than full on paladin armies.

so far its 1 win and 1 draw with another win vs 'normal' grey knights from the weekend, but as i said lots to take into account.

had that game gone on another turn id have been wiped out, had it not been DoW i could have had a better start, i really need more games before i can declare something as anywhere near fact, but im reasonably happy that this is the best direction.

giving ccw scouts furious charge, hit and run, re-rolls to hit and fearless is just about the limit of thier abilities, theres not much more i can do to improve them.

lets hope the next dex gives them a storm-pigeon and some dedicated LSS'

Well done, anyway :tu:

Newcron Monolith. pg 47.

SPECIAL RULES: Deep Strike*, Living Metal.

*If a Monolith is held in reserve, it must arrive by Deep Strike.

I cannot spot anything that allows the C'tan to ignore this....

As I am the Necron player in question, I think I need to chime in on this one.

The lith wasn't held in reserve... it was Dawn of War. And according to the Dawn of War rules:

All units that were not deployed, and were not declared to be in reserve during deployment, must enter the game on the movement phase of their first player turn by moving in from their own table edge, just like units moving in from reserve.

The 'Lith didn't Deep Strike, it just drifted onto the board at the beginning of turn 1. It then moved into the table 6". The following turn, it used its Gate of Eternity to bring the C'tan onto the table, which then ran toward the Command Squad. On turn 3 is when the C'tan hit the command squad.

- just to clarify. ^_^

EDIT:

Also, the Scarabs didn't come in via the Monolith... they walked on the table in turn one (DoW rules again), moved 6", ran 6" (remember the ridiculous 6s I was rolling to run in that first turn, GC08? ;) ) and then assaulted 9" to get to the middle of the table and hit the command squad. Then they tied them down long enough for the C'tan to get there on turn 3.

The only unit to come in from reserve was a single Necron Warrior phalanx which was brought in on turn 3 from the 'Lith's E-gate. THAT was the one that was subsequently blown to smithereens by the T-fires.

Everything else walked on via the DoW rules.

Also, a couple corrections as to the way things went down (sorry, man, but I gotta stick up for my boys Trazyn and the Void Dragon):

i had to throw my bolter scouts into the combat but eventually killed the Ctan in an intense power struggle.

I seem to recall it went more like the C'tan destroyed the Command Squad, made the bolter scouts run away, and then got its last wound taken by an inglorious salvo from your remaining T-fire cannon ^_^

Also, Khan didn't kill Trazyn... he whiffed all but one of his attacks, which failed to wound. It was the Scout Sergeant who finally took Trazyn out... and he managed to reincarnate on the other side of the table. Trazyn was still standing at the end of the fight, and locked in combat with two scout bikes.

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, the bike scout sergeant might have taken out Trazyn... can't remember exactly. :tu: But I know it wasn't Khan... he was off in the boon-docks on the other side of the table.

But otherwise your account was bang on ;)

(Nothin' but love for ya, bro!)

just out of curiosity though, can you asault if you arrive via a monoliths portal if that monolith Ds'd?

Nope; you count as disembarking from a vehicle which had moved at Cruising Speed. It's been hotly debated in various places whether you can use a 'Lith as a makeshift drop pod... however I would argue that you could, since DS happens during the Reserves Phase and E-gate teleportation happens in the movement phase.

I seem to recall it went more like the C'tan destroyed the Command Squad, made the bolter scouts run away, and then got its last wound taken by an inglorious salvo from your remaining T-fire cannon :tu:

yeah i was trying to keep it short, i suppose i should have written a full report, the scouts did indeed run away, i misreprisented there a bit

Also, Khan didn't kill Trazyn... he whiffed all but one of his attacks, which failed to wound. It was the Scout Sergeant who finally took Trazyn out... and he managed to reincarnate on the other side of the table. Trazyn was still standing at the end of the fight, and locked in combat with two scout bikes.

But otherwise your account was bang on ^_^

Actually my good sir i believe it went down as said, if khan hadnt of killed him (i had a chappy for rerolls) i would have rolled 30+ attacks before the sergeant hit, he wouldnt have survived that.

nope khan definately killed him at I6

also the bike sergeant with fist killed his second incarnation in the last turn

just out of curiosity though, can you asault if you arrive via a monoliths portal if that monolith Ds'd?

Nope; you count as disembarking from a vehicle which had moved at Cruising Speed.

ah i didnt know if the teleporter counted as dismebarking.. danke

...also the bike sergeant with fist killed his second incarnation in the last turn...

Yeah, I remembered that one in the re-read ^_^ Sorry about that.

But, technically, it still doesn't count for Khan, ah-beCAUUUUUUSE...

Trazyn only awards kill points once he has been slain and does not return.

Since that is one of his special abilities, and thus part of the character, I would give the kill to the bike Sgt... Khan's got enough feathers in his cap. Give the honours to Gunny Dirtbag for once :tu:

DSing:

At the start of each of his Movement phases except the first....

Dimensional Corridor:

At the start of the Movement phase....

....but the move is otherwise treated exactly as disembarking from a vehicle that has moved at combat speed.

To me, you cannot have two things happening at the start. So on the turn it DSs, the Corridor cannot be used.

Check:

1] Mono in reserve. Check for it to come on. It comes on.... then Corridor? Cool.

2] Mono in reserve. Use Corridor?.... cannot.... then DS? Huh?

Whilst '1' works, '2' does not. Therefore to get '1' to work, '2' is being ignored. And that means a preferential order is being given to DSing over Corridor, yet they both say "at the start". There is only one start, and Corridor works on the premise that the Mono is on the table already.

If the Mono is not on the table by the start of the turn, Corridor cannot be used.

That would be my take on the thing. That doesn't mean that was what GW was thinking though :D

+++

You could not assault on the turn the passengers left the Mono, as it is described as having moved at combat speed.

+++

Chaplain Pelagius, don't tell me you dabble as an Overlord?!!!! *gasp*

:D

for a templar player hes got some mad tactical skills other than charge the xenos purge the unclean.

i was amazed by the nuances he found in the new dex, wont be long before findssome more little nuggets

for a templar player hes got some mad tactical skills other than charge the xenos purge the unclean.

STOP! You're embarrassing me! <lifts his visor> look, see? I'm blushing!

i was amazed by the nuances he found in the new dex, wont be long before findssome more little nuggets

One word: Wraiths.

That would be my take on the thing. That doesn't mean that was what GW was thinking though :lol:

I'm still really back-and-forth on the issue, but since I don't use my Monolith to Deep Strike, I'm happy to wait for a FAQ before I attempt a combo like this.

More than just dabble I'm afraid... I'm a full-blown, xeno-loving race traitor. The Templars are going up in the auction block before too much longer (once I stop needing the models as proxies). Been a closeted Necron-phile since they first appeared back in the 90's... but now I can actually afford to play them!

what he hasnt told you is that his templars are some of the most beautifully painted models ive seen... which is a shame hes selling them, but im sure someone will appreciate the purchase.

his necrons are coming along well too, its a shame this is a PA board only they would be pride of place in the WIP forum

@Pelagius, i took trazyn off khans list, ill give my scout biker some cookies instead :lol:

@Pelagius, i took trazyn off khans list, ill give my scout biker some cookies instead :P

Sweet. Long live the hard-done-by NCO corps! OO-rah!

Officers get far too much credit :wacko:

EDIT: Although, since he's a training sergeant, a box of Cuban cigars would probably be better appreciated than a cookie. But cookies are good... you know, in a pinch.

Archived