Why is Azrael, the Supreme Grand Master so rare?

Azrael Turnbull

Back on topic:You would be surprised how effective he can be with a chaplain attached to his commandsquad.If you want a cheese uber assault unit try it.I wiped ten BT terminators on turn one without a single swing back on the charge the other day.Though the unit costs two times that it has a psichological effect to wipe out an entire terminator squad in one turn!

What was the squad?

as it stands if I play regular Greenwing I use a Librarian and a Company Master or an Interrogator-Chaplain.

I always go with a company master...I mean table-wide LD10 is just too sweet, now that the other chapters have lost it. And 115 points (with power sword) for that statline? It's insanely efficient, making him the perfect babysitter for a dev squad. I also sometimes take Zeke, the table-wide LD10 PH is pretty cool, especially since most other players don't realize that it's still table-wide, causing them to commit tactical mistakes (making moves that only work if their psycher gets his power(s) off) as often as not. But most of the time, it's 115 points spent on HQ...saves enough points on HQ to give me another unit (compared to two ~150 point HQs).

Back on topic:You would be surprised how effective he can be with a chaplain attached to his commandsquad.If you want a cheese uber assault unit try it.I wiped ten BT terminators on turn one without a single swing back on the charge the other day.Though the unit costs two times that it has a psichological effect to wipe out an entire terminator squad in one turn!

What was the squad?

Az + command squad with chapter banner +2 plasma pistols+2 power weapons+company standard(replaced by chapter banner)+apothecary+ +interogator chaplain with plasma pistol +15 pts.Total=535 points....

We have about 17 power weapon attacks on the charge at initiative and 3 plasma shots...Plus the litany of hate and the lion helm and feel no pain...Whatever,hell give them a land raider crusader and you have a one man army...wont going to win a game but if you charge something its preatty much dead.

I fielded Azrael a couple times in the past. He is a CC beast with his 4+ invuln save to the entire squad and the apothecary. He is crazy expensive but fun to play with. Last time I put him in a list, I had him in a LR. Unfortunately I was very new and made the mistake of only fielding a single LR in that list. LR was focus fired, got popped at the start of turn 2 and he had to walk across the board. His squad did absorb alot of shots though.

In hindsight I would have thrown in a second LR forcing myoppenent to split fire bwtween the two.

So far, I have only used him once. He was attached to a fotslogging Company Veterans unit. The unit consisted of 10 veterans with the following equipment:

1 Meltagun

9 Stormbolters

1 Powerfist

1 Powersword

2 Melta bombs

They did one remarkable thing, in one shooting phase they took out a Bloodthirster. Azrael was part of this, since he did wound the bloodthirster with his Plasma.

I have never seen any other Dark Angels player field our illustrious Supreme Grand Master, and I do not know why. With 4 wounds, 4+ inv for him and his squad, and effectively 8 str 6 attacks on the charge whilst the Chapter Banner is around (4 base, +2 for charge and weapons, +1 for banner, one miss gets a re roll which is effectively +1), why is he ignored?

When I field him, he has butchered through Beserkers, Plague Marines, commanders, anything the enemy can chuck at him that doesn't hold a Force Weapon or a Power Fist.

Are there any Azrael users here? Do they have any tales of glorious swordsmanship as Azrael carves his way through an entire army? :P

Please share them here.

Back to the original point: are you telling me that none of you guys have any folk tales of how Azrael has fought like the Lion himself on the table? You must have tried him at least once? In other words, who had particularly lucky dice for him that made him look like a real hero?

I recently played him and he destroyed two tactical squads practically single handedly and survived 6 multi melta shots, a handful bolter shots, 8 powerfist attacks and a lots of regular attacks to tie the game. Those were on turns 5, 6 and 7. That doesn't even include the beating he took when he was fighting with his squad still alive. His 4+ invulnerable also allowed his squad to survive multi meltas, plasma cannons and powerfists.

But the only other time I took him he was instant deathed on turn 2 by a hive tyrant. ;)

Back to the original point: are you telling me that none of you guys have any folk tales of how Azrael has fought like the Lion himself on the table? You must have tried him at least once? In other words, who had particularly lucky dice for him that made him look like a real hero?

I recently played him and he destroyed two tactical squads practically single handedly and survived 6 multi melta shots, a handful bolter shots, 8 powerfist attacks and a lots of regular attacks to tie the game. Those were on turns 5, 6 and 7. That doesn't even include the beating he took when he was fighting with his squad still alive. His 4+ invulnerable also allowed his squad to survive multi meltas, plasma cannons and powerfists.

But the only other time I took him he was instant deathed on turn 2 by a hive tyrant. :D

Gotta love it when the dice gods abandon us!

What would TDA add to him that he doesn't already get with a 2+ armor/4+ squad invul save, other than taking away his ability to be in a squad that can sweeping advance and keeping him from getting an extra CC attack because he could no longer use his bolt pistol?

Lowering his cost, improving his weapon to a different profile type, giving him the ability to teleport without TDA on (though this would still kill the Sweeping Advance after CC if he was attached to a DW squad- plus didn't Belial do this in Purging of Kadillus?), or him having Eternal Warrior would all go a ways toward improving him, as would adding some other type of rule that adds some army or further squad wide benefit. Mostly I think it is his cost that's out of whack.

Azrael needs an option for TDA.

The only reason for TDA is for the relentless rule and deepstrike. Which I agree being able to utilize his plasma-gun would be nice. Granted I feel very reluctant to Deep strike him as his point cost is ridiculous.

I personally like how he can carry grenades which help out TLC terminators or to shove him in a LR with company vets and give them 4+ invuln.

Azrael needs an option for TDA.

The only reason for TDA is for the relentless rule and deepstrike. Which I agree being able to utilize his plasma-gun would be nice. Granted I feel very reluctant to Deep strike him as his point cost is ridiculous.

I personally like how he can carry grenades which help out TLC terminators or to shove him in a LR with company vets and give them 4+ invuln.

He'd also look a lot better when thrown into a Deathwing army.

Archived