'ard boyz semis

Darkest Angel

I arm the Preds with Auto-Cannon, and side Lascannons. This gives great long range support to your termies at 130 points, I gave them hunter killers because I had points kicking around. Idealy you want a dev squad but they are so squishy and if you put 10 men in it with missile launchers your looking at 245 points, thats more than a full termi squad with a cyclone in it and in my opinion just not worth it.

@sharp

What units did well for you and which ones didn't do so well? Also which armies had you faced?

Well first of all, units that under performed: Ezekiel. I put him in the list for psychic defense, as a table wide Ld10 hood is pretty good. However, I never got matched up against a psyker heavy army. In the 6 games I used him in (between prelims and semis) I played against one other psyker. Craziness.

However, when I played a practice game against the Grey Knight player who placed first, Ezekiel was great.

Units that performed well: Belial's squad, of course. :) It is very much a hammer of a unit, and it chewed through quite a bit in all my games. Of course, anything that can throw out a lot of power weapons is something to worry about, as always, so it did take just a little bit of maneuvering. However, having a Death Star was invaluable in my games, as I ran up against others that needed to be knocked down a notch.

The Vindicator was a great purchase for 125 points. Usually, any Vindicator I buy is a prime target and is let down by its side armor. In my list though, the enemy had much more pressing armor concerns (2 LRCs) and I placed the Vindicator between the LRCs so that only it's front armor could get hit. Using this tactic, my Vindicator only died once. Also, as always, one good shot from a Vindicator will pay for it.

My regular shooting Deathwing squads also did very well. 2 of the armies that I faced were built around deepstriking with lots of meltas (Blood Angels and a Vulkan Drop Pod list). I bubble wrapped my vehicles with 4 squads (the second assault squad deployed on the board) to prevent any melta strikes on them. Then, when the units fired upon the shooting squads, they had the survivability to come out of it intact. I know a lot of people have been advocating 5x TH/SS and a CML, but I find that 2 storm shields is plenty and losing the Storm Bolters isn't worth it to me. With the 5x TH/SS if you are out of position, you have to decide to either run or shoot 2 missiles. With storm bolters still in the unit, I can still provide fire support if I am separated from the main action. That's important to me, as tactical flexibility is high on my list of wants in a list.

The Land Speeder Typhoon did very well. At 75 points, it's very easy to make back it's points, and if I destroy one transport that removes a lot more from the enemy's army than just ~50-60 points. I usually deployed it away from the action and turboboosted turn 1 so that I could get side armor on vehicles. It was a good choice, and I could see myself dropping a Dreadnought for another 2. That will all depend on the final scenarios, as Kill Points makes that not such a great idea.

Units that performed as well as could be expected: Dreadnoughts (Mostly used to just tie up units, which was fine with me), LRCs (they killed some stuff, delivered their package. Though one did prevent a major loss first round...), and the assault squad in the second LRC. (Killed some stuff, like assault terminators should).

In order from preliminaries:

IG- Table, Massacre, Full points.

Crimson Fist Space Marines- Massacre, 23 points

Tau- Major Loss, 5 points (He had specifically built his list around killing Deathwing. He had more AP 1 and 2 shots a turn than I did models. Just my luck.)

In between practice game against GK- Table, Massacre, full points (He was playing a Paladin wing. 2 units of Paladins, Storm Raven, LRC, Vindicare, Draigo, Libby, Purifiers in Rhino)

IG- Minor Loss, 10 points (this was actually the same exact list as the first IG I played. I just had some teeeeerrrrible luck and some play mistakes. If I hadn't let his messenger in or gotten mine in, would have been a draw.)

Vulkan Drop Pod- Major Victory, 21 points

Blood Angels DOA list- Table, Massacre, full points.

Overall, I feel good about how I played. I did pretty well, and it was nice representing with Deathwing. Funny little bit of trivia: Our regionals ended with IG, Deathwing, and Chaos Space Marines on top. That was despite fully 1/3 of the armies taken being Grey Knights. :lol: They were all bandwagoners, so I guess it goes to show that playing what you know is better than jumping on the next big thing.

Nice. I too have been using ezikel for the board wide hood, but i usually slap him in a unit of vets with combi-plaz, and hide him in a firelane where he can force a leadership or die + combi plaz to the face. 2+ armor and a LD check for an invul usually means they have to dedicate some hefty firepower to get him out of that squad.

But out here in Utah we are seeing 50%+ shift to GKs so the board wide psychic hood is really messing with people that rely on the powers to keep things shooting. GK players also tend to think that massed str8 shooting will stop all vehicles so i might try upping my land raiders as you did.

props on making it so far with DAs

Archived