Elmo's 1st, 2nd, 4th and 10th Companies

elmo

This may already have been asked - can you do a tutorial on the terrain in the op?

Which bit exactly? The buildings where bought from Ebay but the table tiles are mine smile.png

Pretty much all of it, tutorial on what you did plus links to where I can get the buildings would be nice.thanks.gif

• 2 weeks later...

They look good but as I already had the raven left over from a fantasy giant it was perfect.

@The Broker: Sorry it took so long - other things going on ;)

For the buildings type "Warhammer 40k buildings" in the eBay search bar and I had 4 pages of buildings come up - admittedly some are not very good but keep looking and you may be lucky. You can also try different eBay countries as mine where from a guy in Germany not UK.

The boards where made from polystyrene sheets which can be bought at builders yards or DIY centres. Use the pink or blue as it is denser than the white beaded type so will last longer and be less likely to get damaged. My boards are 50mm thick to give extra stability but you can use thinner boards to save some money.

I painted the boards in a black emulsion paint then used watered down pva glue to stick sand onto the board. Then paint the sand with whichever colour of paint you want depending on what terrain type you are going for. Glue on some static grass and jobs done.

To get a bit more special you can layer the foam to give hills, dig into the foam for trenches/rivers or craters. Add rocks, trees, in fact just go mad.

For the paved/road areas I used a textured wallpaper and dry brushed it to simulate a road surface.

My craters are made by partially digging into the foam then building up the sides with scrap pieces covered in plaster then painted to fit.

WOW!

Brother, the sheer volume of your painting... whole army and a big one that is! This is just beautiful!

I can only aspire to your level and admire your force! Great job with painting it all :)

The bits I like is Dark Angels symbol on that Stormraven and drilling all these exchausts, bolters, meltas so it looks more realistic is also very nice touch! Idea with dozer blades and icon makes me feel like "wow, why didn't I come up with it!"

Kudos to you!

Thank you for the kind comment.

The Storm Budgie and Vindicators are my favourites too. Also some of the conversions like the RW Techmarine, hard work and made the brain overheat at times but worth it in the end.

The drilling of barrels and exhausts just adds that little "je ne sais quoi" to round the whole look off and is well worth doing.

Don't worry - there is still plenty more to come ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, l've done it again.

I have just got another DV (DA only) set coming but the price was just too good to resist.

Anyone know a good clinic so I can get my plastic crack habit sorted!

What I like so much about them is the:

- Ease of assembly and mould-line removal

- Limited use of skulls and other pointless detail whilst still being fairly ornate and distinctly  "Dark Angels"

- Raised iconography

- Low price

-Great-looking poses and details, even compared to the "main" kits

- Reasonable weapon loadouts on all the models (as in, I would actually field those weapons).

Oops, l've done it again.

I have just got another DV (DA only) set coming but the price was just too good to resist.

Anyone know a good clinic so I can get my plastic crack habit sorted!

Not sure, but if you find one can I join you?

I'm currently undergoing a mini nervous breakdown over whether I get the Tau Xmas box...... but do I really need 6 Broadsides?

I think I have the same problem mostly : I have almost reached the objectives I wanted for my DA in term of individual models (one battle company + one half DW + one half RW) and I don't want more DA... In term of chapter ;-)

I think I won't be able to resist to the call of the unforgiven and will get 5 DV kits to paint each in each successor colour just for the pleasure...

Unforgiven I am unforgiven I will always be.

I think I have the same problem mostly : I have almost reached the objectives I wanted for my DA in term of individual models (one battle company + one half DW + one half RW) and I don't want more DA... In term of chapter ;-)

I have planned (and bought...) to this level also.

I think I won't be able to resist to the call of the unforgiven and will get 5 DV kits to paint each in each successor colour just for the pleasure...

Unforgiven I am unforgiven I will always be.

I also thought about this, and decided that I should be done with what I have in time for FW's DA releases (several years away still), and that I might therefore indulge in a Pre-Heresy DA army to "celebrate" the completion of such a worthy task! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the completed magnetised Landraider Ares/Crusader/Redeemer - Enjoy cause I did msn-wink.gif

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/340/f/b/magnetised_landraider_ares_crusader_redeemer_by_elmo9141-d6wy3wx.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/340/d/b/landraider_ares___hammer_of_caliban_by_elmo9141-d6wy46s.jpg

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/340/2/1/landraider_crusader___hammer_of_caliban_by_elmo9141-d6wy4k0.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/340/3/a/landraider_redeemer___hammer_of_caliban_by_elmo9141-d6wy4pd.jpg

Click on the pictures for extreme close ups.

Here are MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice side by side.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/340/9/5/the_crusaders_together__by_elmo9141-d6wy6j1.jpg

Looks awesome sauce. The fact that everything's been magnetised for complete list building adaptability just makes that sauce even awesomer :yes:.

Great job there - the DA Master of the Forge will be proud. Oh wait - I think that might be you <_<.

Cheers

I

Archived