Akan's Reavers

Hyaenidae

• 2 weeks later...

So when's the boss back then? Anyone know?

Now, spiky stick waver, here's yer Harlequins. Let's bargain...

Aaawwwwww shucks did I say Harlequins? I meant Harley Quinn ;)

Saa

.......or something like that

I return!! Sorry for the long absence, but as you can see by my new 'current location', I am far, far away from home now. Yep, I deployed. This is why I was slowing down, why I took a break from my Marines Malevolent (I wasn't about to bring the whole darn army with me, lol), and why I won't be able to make updates as regularly as I'd like. None the less, I will endeavor to drive on with building this army while I'm downrange. I had my wife send a travel sized bitz box out to me, and I've made an order for some modeling supplies, which are on their way.

But, until then, I present to you Part Two of the Capture of Hellstorm Harbour....enjoy! And it's good to be back finally, I missed the B & C. Thanks for being patient and sticking with me, I should have some mini updates up soon. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Akan was unsure what to expect as the doors rattled back on unkempt tracks, his imagination as to what the bridge of the Harbour would look like running wild. The truth was far worse than what he envisaged. Bundles of wires hung from the low ceiling like intestines from a gutted body, and more ran along the floor in random directions. Access panels to various pieces of equipment hung loose, or were missing entirely. The illumination was weak and sporadic, the slowly failing glow globes on the bridge fluttering feebly. The few functioning primary monitoring positions upon the bridge were occupied by weak-hearted slaves, wretched men and women living an empty existence at the whims of a gutless tyrant. The air was ripe with dust and mildew, rust streaking the walls in sepia channels. Akan’s attention, though, was entirely upon the nine trans-humans at the raised dais in the middle of the room.

Mariic Kwol was old, far beyond his prime, a Legionary who had lived outside of the life-sustaining energies of the Warp for far too long. Kwol’s leathery, scarred face was creased with wrinkles, wisps of platinum white hair hanging from his unhelmed head, and across his cataract-gray eyes. Underneath the grime and filth coating his Mk. V war-plate, though, was the proud colors and Legion symbol of Horus’s own. Not the black of shame worn by his children on the command of his successor Abaddon; Kwol wore the rich sea-green and all-seeing eye of the Sons of Horus, alongside ancient symbols of infinite madness. Mariic Kwol had refused to follow his Legion in retreat at the end of the Heresy, choosing instead to wage his own personal war from the Maelstrom with the few like-minded followers at his command. He and his kind had been raiding shipping lanes around the Endemiyon Cluster since then, having even fought the once-loyal Astral Claws, before their fall, on many occasions. ‘Perhaps that is why Kwol refuses his tithes…’ Akan mused. To pay a levy to a warrior that he had once fought would chafe at whatever honour Mariic still possessed. Or perhaps he was simply a timid old man who no longer cared for The Long War. In the end, the reasons for his foolishness were irrelevant. Kwol still had to die.

Around the Command throne that Kwol lounged in were eight Space Marines in a variety of different heraldry, their weapons and armour just as diverse, and their discipline just as lax. Only two of the bodyguards posed an immediate threat. The first was a warrior clad in a massive, pitted suit of Tactical Dreadnought Armour, his filthy gray and gold heraldry declaring his former allegiance to the Brotherhood of a Thousand. The other was a snarling Berserker in the black and crimson of the Knights of Blood, the lightning claws wrapping his gauntlets twitching with the need to cause havoc and rend flesh. Both Astartes displayed a level of attentiveness, or at least psychosis, that the others lacked completely, and would be the first to react to any sudden surprises. Akan blink-clicked both targets, and silently sent them to Korovius and Callor. They would have to be dealt with quickly.

Mariic continued to stare out the view screen, his chin resting upon his fist, showing no real concern about four armed trans humans and a Nostromian mortal walking into the very heart of his pathetic empire. “You have been given dock and free passage aboard my ship. Why are you now bothering me on my own bridge, thin blood? Begone, and take your mongrels with you.” Mariic's morose voice matched his appearance; a broken, dusty whisper, but with a hint of the pride that once filled his hearts. No venom, just indifference.

Akan curled his lip in disgust.

Akan reached up and disengaged his helm, attaching it to his belt, before speaking. “Now, Mariic, is that any way to treat a fellow Astartes? We both fly the black flag, both cut the hearts of Imperials, and both raid Badab's shipping lanes; do we not?” Mariic still stared straight ahead, giving no indication that he’d heard what was said. Akan chuckled low. “No, I suppose we don't have much in common.” A sigh passed Akan’s gnarled, scarred lips. “Fine. I will make this quick. Mariic Kwol, you have been found wanting in the eyes of the Tyrant. Your lack of heart and motivation disgusts him. It has been decided that ownership of Hellstorm Harbour is to pass to someone who will return this port to its former glory, and you are to be removed permanently for your failures.” He placed his hand upon the hilt of his relic blade. “Surrender, and I will make your execution clean.”

Despite the threat, Mariic still sat in his throne, unconcerned. His eyes lazily drifted over to Akan. “Is that so? And how exactly do you plan to remove me, hmm?” The Brotherhood warrior in the battered Terminator plate advanced with clanking steps, the slides on his twin-linked bolter slamming forward. Mariic snorted. “I will not be intimidated by some young upstart, or his bastard flesh-spare master. Walk away now, and my men will only take your ship for your impertinence, not your life.”

“I am so immensely delighted you said that…” Korovious laughed heartily, the smirking silver faceplate of his beautiful helm matching his good humour. The former Angel of Ecstasy began stretching his limbs gracefully, as if he was a dancer preparing for the curtains to be raised. Callor, on the other hand, simply stood as straight as his massive, heaving bulk could manage in the low ceilinged room, snarling through the teeth-grille of his horned helm, staring straight at the Terminator with a vicious hunger in his corrupted eyes. Dewitt continued with his research, and appeared to be ignoring the situation completely. Periodically, a wave of disbelieving scrap-code would escape his vox-casters, shocked and horrified at the condition of the ancient ship. Every burst of static disgust was quickly followed by a frantic tap-tap-tap upon his data-slate, annotating another system to repair or replace.

Akan knew this was coming, and had little hope that his offer of surrender would have been taken by the old man. None the less, it had been worth trying, if for no other reason than to spare Maximillian DeWitt from having to repair more damaged equipment. He swept his arm out to his side, taking in Ciardha, before speaking. ”Do you remember this woman, Marric?” No spark of recognition registered in Kwol’s eyes, and Akan was not shocked. Mariic was not the type of Legionary who expected mortals to be capable of anything except dying painfully. Ciardha’s pale face seemed to be carved from marble, though he could tell that she was furious beyond words to be in front of her former tormentor again, and not even be recognized. Akan continued, “She was once a slave aboard your ship, after you broke the VIII Legion ship to which she was consigned, killed her master, and took the serfs aboard for your labor pool. In between the beatings and torture, she was able to learn much about Hellstorm Harbour while running for her life; its many hidden paths and corridors especially,” Akan grinned maliciously, “Like the ones directly behind the command throne you sit in.”

Mariic was paying attention now. His head snapped around to look at Akan and his group, just in time to see three of the four Astartes and the one human draw their weapons, shielding their eyes with auto-darkening lenses, or by simply closing their eyes. A split second later, Mariic Kwol’s world dissolved in phosphor light and skull rattling sound…

Be very careful. I'd imagine that if you're around internet and outlets, you're not out on the firebases.

Half in the wire, half out, mission depending. Just finally got internetz, so we're all pretty psyched about that. This is my third tour, careful is my middle name nowadays, lol.

If you find a painted eldar farseer near a crater along with part of a kneecap, do return it to me

That's a promise. Who were you with?

Wow. I don't know which to be more impressed by: the fiction, the deployment, or the almost universal (or is terrestrial a more appropriate word?) presence of Warhammer 40K. Ditto to the well wishes above, along with the words of encouragement and the wishes for your safety.

First, thank you all for your well wishes, much appreciated.

Second, I have good news, and bad news. The good news is that my supply of mini's is here, as is the majority of the supplies I need. The bad news is that the plasticard has not reached me yet, so I can't really begin a WIP on Peacekeepers' Tritus the Uncaring yet. *sigh* Hopefully soon...

Finally, I'm glad you guys are liking the story so far, and yes, the next installment will be very violent, lol.

Hopefully, I'll have the next part of the story before next week, and I'll be crackin' on the next mini soon.

Thanks for your patience, guys!

For some reason when you mentioned the word 'violent' multiple things popped into my head. Terminators vs Power Armor. Which then turned into a very gore and blood mental picture. I can't wait for the next installment of the story. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived