Mephiston

Tamwulf

So, you take a model with no inv. save, whose specialty is wading through rank and file troops or other specific targets and throw him against 300 and how many points of high strength, inv save having, power weapon wielding models?!!?

I'd thought I'd run the numbers on Mephiston vs :-

250pts

Librarian w/ Rage, Shield, Jump Pack

5xASM W/ Meltagun, Power Weapon.

Presuming they're both in range of a priest, both the libby and mephiston get rage off, and they both get the charge :-

Mephiston kills 4.44 MEQ

Libby+ASM kills 6.2 MEQ

Add in shooting before charging, presuming target is in cover :-

Mephiston kills 4.79 MEQ

Libby+ASM kills 7.03 MEQ

Just out of curiosity, what Necron unit where you using for this Mathammer? The Lychguard and Overlord in the above scenario cost over 300 points.

Necron Overlord, Voidblade, Mindshackle scarabs, Resurrection orb, Phase shifter: 190

Lychguard x5, hyperphase swords and dispersion shields: 225

Total Cost: 315 for a unit that is T5, S5, all with power weapons, 4++ save, and they stand back up on a 4+ after you shoot them, and at the end of the assault phase. The dispersion shields make shooting them at close range a dicey prospect at best- 50/50 chance that meltagun shot will kill one of your own ASM instead. Any bolt pistol shots will only wound on a 5+, and if they make the save, the shot is going right back at you. Let's be generous and say only one Assault Marine dies- the meltagun guy as he only has two attacks on the charge anyways. Any Necrons that happen to fail their save will then stand back up at the end of the shooting phase on a 4+ thanks to the Resurrection Orb.

Once you get into combat, the Mind Scarabs kick in before you make your first attack- leadership test on 3d6 vs. random model in base contact with the Necron Lord, and then d3 hits against your own squad. Again, let's say it was only a Assault Marine that failed his LD test and struck out at your squad- d3 hits at S5, reroll hits. Another Marine bites it. The BA player attacks with only 3 ASM and the Libby (1 ASM died in shooting, 1 was dominated by Mindshackle Scarabs). 9x attacks reroll hits, need 4's to hit- 6.75 hits, 4+ to wound (S5 vs. T5)= 3.38 wounds, 3+ save, one Lychguard falls over. Libby gets his 4 attacks- 3 hit, 1.5 wounds, 0.75 dead thanks to the 4++ of the Dispersion shields. Now the Lychguard and Lord attack back- each one has 2 attacks, and the Necron player has 3 Lychguard and the Lord left for a total of 8 attacks. They all have WS 4, so hitting on 4+, that's 4 hits, they wound on a 3+, so 2.67 power weapon wounds. Two ASM are removed from the table. Necrons beat you by 1 wound, you take your leadership test, pass it, and the combat will continue next round. Necron player rolls his We'll Be Back roll with 4+ chance of a Lychguard standing up. The next round will be even worse for the BA player as he'll now need to wound on a 5+, and he'll lose one attack/model, while the Necron player will still be in great shape with 4 Lychguard and the Lord, while you'll have only 2 ASM and the Libby.

See how I made more then a few assumptions in there? By the way, that's **almost** the best CC unit the Necrons have. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll never see a Necron Lord with Lychguard- he brings way too much synergy to the unit not to be included. My example didn't include Feel No Pain, in which case the combat would probably have been a tie, but you would still be down a model every assault phase thanks to the Mindshackles- unless you think the ASM with LD 8 will be able to pass the LD test on 3d6 every turn...

If you had assaulted with an equal 315 point Blood Angel unit, then yeah, the Lychguard would probably get wiped out.

Mephiston would have been in real trouble against that unit, and even if he managed to kill 3-4 of them, he would probably take a couple wounds. I would argue that any unit assaulting the Lychguard+Necron Lord would be in for a real challenge.

Like all things in 40K, you never want to assault equal points.

Ermm... Unless I'm mistaken Bartali wasn't using any necron troops in his calculations he was simply using generic marine equivalent T4 3+ models. Which is why he specified MEQ.

In response to Bartali's post:

While I'm not really going to comment in favor of one versus another if we're going to do Mathhammer you must take into account that with each death that ASM + Librarian squad becomes significantly less killy and its not hard to take a few models out of that squad in even a single turn. Mephiston on the other hand retains all his killing power whether he has one wound or five. It's also significantly more difficult to knock five wounds off a T6 2+ model that it is to knock seven wounds off T4 3+ models.

The point of all that is that while initially a 5 man ASM with Libby may kill more MEQ models that Mephiston, Mephiston will maintain his full killing power much longer into the game than that squad will. Also there is the obvious fact that Mephiston can tackle a great many more things than that squad could ever hope to tangle with.

Ah! My bad then about the Libby vs. whatever and how good Mephiston is in close combat and how much they can kill. ;)

This is some good stuff, and I'm glad I started this thread. It has reinforced something I've been thinking about for a long time in 40K:

Never attack a like amount of points, and always strike the weak stuff with your powerful stuff.

Would I use Mephiston to attack a squad of Assault Terminators with TH/SS? No, they would wipe him off the board. This, despite the fact that Mephiston is 50 points more expensive then five Termy's. On the other hand, I would not hesitate to send Mephiston at a 10 model Tactical Squad inside a Rhino.

There are viable lists that do not use Mephiston, and several have been posted in this thread. They function differently in practice/on the table then a list that uses Mephiston.

My assertion is not that Mephiston is an auto-win. Far from it! Bad dice and wrong tactical decisions will kill Mephiston just as fast as any other model on the table. With Mephiston in a list, you bring a huge force multiplier to the table. Your opponent will have to devote a large amount of resources to nullify this advantage. There is also the psychological advantage Mephiston has. His reputation does proceed him, and there are countless tales of this One Man Army killing everything on the table... there are very few models in the game that are on a 25mm base that can kill anything/everything else point for point like Mephiston, and most opponents know this.

No one has really mentioned from a money/modeling aspect, that Mephiston costs US$20 (and is an OK model...). Or you can use the fantastic bits found in the Blood Angels Death Company box and a few extra bits laying around and paint him up as Mephiston. An assault squad inside a Razorback will cost you a minimum of US$60, not to mention you'll have to field almost two such squads to equal his points value in the army. From a cost/modeling standpoint, it's hard for the typical player to pass up on Mephiston.

Take him, or not. Myself, I relish the look on my opponents face when I tell him I have Mephiston in my army. :devil:

Just out of curiosity, what Necron unit where you using for this Mathammer? The Lychguard and Overlord in the above scenario cost over 300 points.

Necron Overlord, Voidblade, Mindshackle scarabs, Resurrection orb, Phase shifter: 190

Lychguard x5, hyperphase swords and dispersion shields: 225

Total Cost: 315 for a unit that is T5, S5, all with power weapons, 4++ save, and they stand back up on a 4+ after you shoot them, and at the end of the assault phase.

Voidblade isn't a power weapon, but for the same price you get a warscythe

The dispersion shields make shooting them at close range a dicey prospect at best- 50/50 chance that meltagun shot will kill one of your own ASM instead. Any bolt pistol shots will only wound on a 5+, and if they make the save, the shot is going right back at you.

the only shot that bounces back is the melta, the bolt pistol shots would be saved on thier3+ not the shield

Now the Lychguard and Lord attack back- each one has 2 attacks, and the Necron player has 3 Lychguard and the Lord left for a total of 8 attacks. They all have WS 4, so hitting on 4+, that's 4 hits, they wound on a 3+, so 2.67 power weapon wounds.

the lord has 3 attacks and is str 7 with a warscythe.

Mephiston would have been in real trouble against that unit, and even if he managed to kill 3-4 of them, he would probably take a couple wounds. I would argue that any unit assaulting the Lychguard+Necron Lord would be in for a real challenge.

thier biggest downfall is if they lose combat:)

but i agree, why charge with 315, when you can charge with 630:)

mephiston has better things to kill then that unit, shoot em down a little with lots of fire power so they have less people, get more wounds on em, see em run. (that's why i'm prefereing preatorians vs sm

(not arguing, clarifying some rules and options)

:) I'm fairly sure we've had this discussion before, yeah. Suffice to say that I'm not interesting in paying 55pts for three S5 shots, I don't think it has any real value to most lists.

Oh no, you pay 5 points to give your rhino three S5 shots, at the cost of a hatch and repair ability. Did you know that 5 TL-HB Razors roughly produce the output of 2 Dakka Preds against infantry? ^^

There are viable lists that do not use Mephiston, and several have been posted in this thread. They function differently in practice/on the table then a list that uses Mephiston.

My assertion is not that Mephiston is an auto-win. Far from it!

I think a few people are getting the wrong idea that this was what the thread was about.

The OP was saying that he has a hard time not including Mephy in his list because he believes for the most part he can make a better list with Mephy than without.

I think there are plenty of viable BA lists without Mephy.

The difference is, like the OP, there are people that believe that Mephy would be a better/stronger option in the list, or with a slight rework would make the initial list better.

I'm in that camp.

Not an "auto-take" per se, but rather and auto-improvement.

Not an "auto-take" per se, but rather and auto-improvement.

I think it depends on your play stile and your opponent. Every army can counter him, some easier then others and some with options people don't usualy take.

He can improve a list, or he can be an expencive and dead guy pretty fast. As is usual, there isn't a real answer, he can be a game winner or loser, that's the balance of it all

There's been times I wanted 2x Libbys over Meph.

Reasons why is as follows:

-Squad support in the form of Unleash Rage.

-Shield.

-Two models that can be at two places.

-No psychic tests when flying.

-Could have two Sanguine Swords! (multiple powers, more coverage)

-Always think price: 2 for 1 Meph!

-Can't be picked out by shooting when in big squad.

-Less of a target/imprint.

Don't get me wrong: I love Meph, but those reasons above are very good reasons to take 2x Libbies over 1 Meph. Especially when psychic defense can negate his ability to FLY. Why doesn't a Master Libby have a Jump Pack is beyond me.

Hi Mephiston people.

I'll re-post what I said on page 2 because for some reason, I think it got lost.

There's been times I wish I had 2 libbies over Mephiston. My list runs 3 Baals, 3 AC/LC Preds, and 3 full squads of 10 ASM and 2 Priests. In my particular list, having Shield and multiple applications of Unleash Rage or Sanguine Sword for my squads is more beneficial to me than 1 super Libby :)

There's been times I wish I had 2 libbies over Mephiston. My list runs 3 Baals, 3 AC/LC Preds, and 3 full squads of 10 ASM and 2 Priests. In my particular list, having Shield and multiple applications of Unleash Rage or Sanguine Sword for my squads is more beneficial to me than 1 super Libby :)

Matey,

honest question....

Do you believe:

Libby - JP (2powers of choice)

Libby - JP (2powers of choice)

2x Priest - JP, PW

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

Baal - AC/Hb

Baal - AC/Hb

Baal - AC/Hb

Pred- AutoCan/LC

Pred- AutoCan/LC

Pred- AutoCan/LC

(1990pnts - add 10points of whatever)

is stronger than:

Mephiston

Libby - JP

2x Priest - JP, PW

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

1x10 RAS - TH, 2MG

Baal - AC/Hb

Baal - AC/Hb

Pred- AutoCan/LC

Pred- AutoCan/LC

Pred- AutoCan/LC

(1970points - add 30 points to play with)

Really?

So, you take a model with no inv. save, whose specialty is wading through rank and file troops or other specific targets and throw him against 300 and how many points of high strength, inv save having, power weapon wielding models?!!?

I'd thought I'd run the numbers on Mephiston vs :-

250pts

Librarian w/ Rage, Shield, Jump Pack

5xASM W/ Meltagun, Power Weapon.

Presuming they're both in range of a priest, both the libby and mephiston get rage off, and they both get the charge :-

Mephiston kills 4.44 MEQ

Libby+ASM kills 6.2 MEQ

Add in shooting before charging, presuming target is in cover :-

Mephiston kills 4.79 MEQ

Libby+ASM kills 7.03 MEQ

This is a pretty siginficantly slanted example, just so you know. The combat effectiveness of that ASM squad + librarian is very very very skewed in this example. The reason being (that for some reason no one eluded to) was the assumption that you have a FC bubble. The reason this is flawed is because no matter what your excuse is--because you're comparing 250 points against one another- that you're actually using a 300 vs 250 point comparison for this example. I realize you're gifting Mephiston with the furious charge also but that's 100% irrelevant. In no way does mephiston benefit at all in any form from having FC against MEQ units.

If you rerun the numbers without the 50 point increased effectiveness you'll realize that mephiston is actually better than the librarian+squad in close combat without shooting, and .2 worse than the entire squad if shooting is taken into account. This is vastly different than the 2+ wound difference you're coming up with.

The other major strength of mephiston is the margins he tends to win combats by, and therefore his initiative when testing for sweeping advance. Against marines that isn't such a big deal, but against units like necrons or anything else mephiston is almost guarunteed to sweep if he wins combat. His chances to win combat are also very high due to the fact that he is at such a high base toughness that normal models do very little in both small arms shooting and close combat to mephiston. Without a powerfist in a unit that can't be swept there is virtually no way for a conventional scoring unit to stop mephiston.

As far as toughness goes, for the same reason that paladins are so much better than GKTs, mephiston is better than a squad. That being that once the squad starts taking damage, the bonuses you recieve from the librarian and the weight of numbers the squad itself produces (which is it's advantage here) start to dissipate. Mephiston is just as powerful with 1 wound left as 5 (should have you the guts to continue to psychic test him). He also will not be ID'd by a well-placed powerfist unlike the librarian.

Not picking on your argument, but you didn't do a very fair job of arguing both sides. Mephiston is so good against rank and file due to sweeping, his toughness, and the fact that his offensive output is that of a squad + supporting HQ in addition to his speed and ability to be much more hidden (and thus arrive at full strength more often) than an assault squad.

Zhukov- I really like the idea of 2 sternguard units instead of a combat squaded dev squad. Ive tried it in combat patrols and it worked well, I never really put together the idea to do it in a real game though. I think one weakness of that if I were to do it personally is I generally run assault terminators in competitive lists and as such use up most of my elite slots with them and priests and such. For a mobile-shooting based list I definitely like the sternguard option, but I do agree with others that having mephiston in that list would strengthen it.

This is a pretty siginficantly slanted example, just so you know. The combat effectiveness of that ASM squad + librarian is very very very skewed in this example. The reason being (that for some reason no one eluded to) was the assumption that you have a FC bubble. The reason this is flawed is because no matter what your excuse is--because you're comparing 250 points against one another- that you're actually using a 300 vs 250 point comparison for this example. I realize you're gifting Mephiston with the furious charge also but that's 100% irrelevant. In no way does mephiston benefit at all in any form from having FC against MEQ units.

I think it's pretty fair to say that any BA list based around ASM will have a priest, with or without Mephiston, hence not including the price in the comparison.

Not really, reason being that because you're using an assault squad instead of mephiston (Which is what this topic is about, using mephiston INSTEAD of another HQ choice) you're forcing yourself to pay for the priest.

A shining example of this is that at the hard boyz semis (and several other competitive tournaments recently) my ASM squads have NOT been close combat work horses, im instead using other units to do the dirty, such as mephiston. Because of this I save a lot of points on force multipliers like sanguinary priests and thus that 50 points (minimum) is saved from the cost of my army. So no, the priest is NOT something you should include in the base cost of the unit.

Matey,

honest question....

Do you believe:

X

is stronger than:

Y

Not the one the question was directed at, but neither of these lists is really optimal. Meph comes closer, since it's running AV13 and him together, but the other one is the usual mix of armor and jump troops that just doesn't work terribly well in my opinion. "Substitute Meph for HQ + 150pts of other stuff" is a silly plan and it does nothing to actually show how strong a given option is; what if you put Meph in place of the Librarian of an all-Jumpers list? Is he stronger there, as well? Or in a Stormraven list? Etc. Armies are designed to use their components effectively if they are made well, so randomly substituting one thing for another is meaningless.

Not the one the question was directed at, but neither of these lists is really optimal. Meph comes closer, since it's running AV13 and him together, but the other one is the usual mix of armor and jump troops that just doesn't work terribly well in my opinion. "Substitute Meph for HQ + 150pts of other stuff" is a silly plan and it does nothing to actually show how strong a given option is; what if you put Meph in place of the Librarian of an all-Jumpers list? Is he stronger there, as well? Or in a Stormraven list? Etc. Armies are designed to use their components effectively if they are made well, so randomly substituting one thing for another is meaningless.

Agree with you 110% regards the "sub 'n add" plan. But we're not only talking about how strong a list is. The question is whether or not mephy makes your list stronger, and/or whether you can make a stronger list with Mephy - and so far no one, including yourself Puppy, has been able to offer a list that can : A: Not have Meph subbed in to make it stronger, or B: Not have a better/stronger list built with Meph.

The list may not be optimal, but it was the example given. So, thats what I worked with.

Same went for the previous example in this thread.

So, thats 2 of 2 in consensus that Mephy makes it stronger with what was presented.

Im also in agreement with you as far as just throwing him into an all jumper list is almost always not going to be a good idea to make the jumper list stronger, but it then begs the question -

If you had to give me an all jumper list, that didnt work well with Mephy, chances are we could comment on its competitiveness too and offer a BA list that would perform better with him.

If we can sub Meph in to an existing list to make it better, with the lists given OR we can make a stronger list than the one presented with Mephy then does it not prove case in point?

Is its not what we are discussing in the first place?

In short - again I request - show me a BA list that is stronger in terms of its competitiveness without Mephiston than a list with him.

He's NOT infallible.

He's NOT invincible.

He's NOT an auto-take.

He CAN be countered.

He DOES have his weaknesses.

But so far no one has shown us that despite all of this you can't make a better BA list with him.

And that is (mine and) the OPs concern.

If you're a fluff or theme player, sorted. No contest. But, if you're a competitive player, then I'd be happy to see which high tier lists will do better than lists with him.

As has been said in more words than this, Mephiston fulfills a role that is unfilled by most armies in 40k by himself. He gives a specific strength to the Blood Angels that is advantageous over most armies in many situations, especially when played in certain BA lists. I think that is mostly the point here. No, Mephiston is not single handedly unstoppable, but he also fulfills a few certain niches very well that are useful in competitive play in many BA lists.

If you're a fluff or theme player, sorted. No contest. But, if you're a competitive player, then I'd be happy to see which high tier lists will do better than lists with him.

Do you consider mech to be the only competitive build?

Not by a long way no! I'm a hybrid guy.

I do believe (on paper) that pure DoA is the weakest of the competitive BA builds, though.

Competitive - potentially. Strongest - no.

Do you consider mech to be the only competitive build?

Not by a long way no! I'm a hybrid guy.

I do believe (on paper) that pure DoA is the weakest of the competitive BA builds, though.

Competitive - potentially. Strongest - no.

I think "inconsistent" is a better word than "weak". There's always an (extra) element of chance in the reserve heavy list compared to mech but considering how heavily slanted the meta usually is towards MSU spam (and thus lists built to counter other MSU lists) you do get an edge simply by doing things differently.

But so far no one has shown us that despite all of this you can't make a better BA list with him.

Oh, is that all you want? That's easy, then.

2000pts

1 Librarian (Shield, Unleash)

5 Assault Terminators (3 TH/SS)

1 Sanguinary Priest

1 Furioso Dread

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

8 DC (1 PW, 1 PF, add Lemartes)

1 DC Dread

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

1 Stormraven (TLMM, TLLC, EA)

2000pts

1 Librarian (JP; Shield, Lance)

5 Honor Guard (JP, 3 Melta, 3 Flamer)

3 Sanguinary Priest (2 JP+PW, 1 Corbulo)

10 ASM (2 Melta, Infernus, PF)

10 ASM (2 Melta, Infernus, PW)

5 Devs (4 Missile)

5 Devs (4 Missile)

5 Devs (4 Missile)

2000pts

1 Librarian (Shield, Sword)

5 ASM (Melta; AC Razor w/Dozer, HKM)

5 ASM (Melta; AC Razor w/Dozer, HKM)

5 ASM (Melta; AC Razor w/Dozer)

1 Baal Pred (AC, HBs, Dozer)

1 AutoLas Pred (Dozer)

1 AutoLas Pred (Dozer)

1 AutoLas Pred (Dozer)

All of those could probably use some tweaks to fine-tune them, but that's the basics. 2000pts, Mephy's "ideal range," and all of them are made noticeably worse by his inclusion (and are better than the Meph list posted earlier.) I think the last comes the closest to possibly wanting him, since it could sub Libby + tank upgrades and not lose very much, but in that case you're giving up your Shield, which keeps your tanks alive and is a major hit to the list, so I think it is, at best, a trade-off there (worsen your game against shooting to improve it against melee.)

All of those could probably use some tweaks to fine-tune them, but that's the basics. 2000pts, Mephy's "ideal range," and all of them are made noticeably worse by his inclusion (and are better than the Meph list posted earlier.) I think the last comes the closest to possibly wanting him, since it could sub Libby + tank upgrades and not lose very much, but in that case you're giving up your Shield, which keeps your tanks alive and is a major hit to the list, so I think it is, at best, a trade-off there (worsen your game against shooting to improve it against melee.)

I'd say 1750 is closer to his ideal range. 2K is where you can really get the AV13 spam going.

In the last list I'd rather give up one of the razor squads + some upgrades. Razor squads are honestly pretty crap, so dropping one in favor of a unit that's actually dangerous doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Oh, is that all you want? That's easy, then.

2000pts

1 Librarian (Shield, Unleash)

5 Assault Terminators (3 TH/SS)

1 Sanguinary Priest

1 Furioso Dread

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

8 DC (1 PW, 1 PF, add Lemartes)

1 DC Dread

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

Theres your winner as far as not being able to put mephy in. I played a 2500 list thats near identical, but with Mephy though.

The other two Id argue otherwise, but may just be down to playstyle.

Personally I would prefer:

Mephy

Libby (shield, rage)

Chaplain

5 Assault Terms

Priest

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

5 ASM (LasPlas Razor)

8 DC (1 PW, 1 PF)

1 DC Dread

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

Mephy on the board means more heavy weapons directed to him and off the other stuff. But, again that would be delving way too much into theory hammer now. And the list is very strong without.

Archived