Guardians of the Covenant

Yellow Stripe

I decided to check this thread out... now my eyes have exploded with the awesomeness inside. I feel like Indian Jones trying not to look at the Ark of the Covenant as it melts the faces off all the crazy Nazis....

Wow...

Man, other than the insanely professional detailing you've done ( how long did you spend on each model? A month? Two months for the vehicles?) I've got to say that my absolute favorite thing about this army is how grimy they look. It's like they've been out in the killing fields of the planet Armageddon for about a year with no respite and decided they'd pose for some pictures. I'm sure if the Techmarine saw these guys he'd have fainted from shock after one of his two hearts stopped. He'd probably be trying to scrub the grime off those dreadnoughts for at least a couple of months cursing his lot in life of being raised into this chapter.

-edit-

Great job man! You are to be envied!

Haha, well I'm glad you like them Mercy. To be honest I haven't been spending too long on each figure. Generally a marine will take me 3 to 5 hours depending on detail of the particular model. A vehicle, maybe up to 2 days, so its not too bad really, just depends on how much time I can sink into it with work and all.

Anywho, I regret to inform you all that there will be no weekly update of pics this week. I have recently received my Hobby Drill in the mail, and I have been touching up ALL models completed by drilling the barrels (as suggested, and it makes a huge difference) and also just some tweaking of details.

I only have one marine to go to finish my 2nd Tac Squad, and have also started undercoating my next Rhino, so I should be able to have some pics up in a week or so, with everything looking all shmick.

The main purpose of this update however, is to announce that I have made up my mind on what I will completing next over the week I managed to secure off work in a couple weeks time. Thanks to the input of you guys, I have decided that I will...

Complete 1 Vindicator..

Complete 1 Predator...

and 3 2nd Company Bikers.

or at least attempt too :)

I have just placed an order online for all of these and should be receiving these over the next week or so. I do not plan to rush these however, but will at least be able to make a decent start on them over this period.

Thanks again to all, and I will keep you updated.

• 4 weeks later...

First off, I have some good news and some bad...

The bad, is that I have yet to receive the tanks + bikes that I ordered some time ago, therefore, on my week off (this week), I was unable to make a start on these as I had hoped.

The good news is, this has allowed me the time to put together and make a start on a couple things I have not yet began working on, till now...

:sick:

Firstly, I have made a lot of progress on the Land Raider Crusader that I mentioned a little while back. Now, due to my accidental order of a Land Raider, opposed to the Crusader, I have had to order the few pieces needed for the upgrade from E-Bay, and I have yet to receive some of this yet.

gallery_65020_6770_8042.jpg

This is all set to go on, once my Sponsons and Twin Linked Assault Cannon arrives.

And, here's what I have accomplished on the big boy..

gallery_65020_6770_324465.jpg

gallery_65020_6770_298460.jpg

As you can see, I have done the same sort of thing with the Chapter symbol across the top and side of the vehicle, as I had done previously on the Razorback for my Command Squad. As I was quite happy with this feature, I decided hey, why not use it to distinguish Vehicles used by Company Masters within the Chapter. Also, I have not yet added a lot of the text that is familiar with the GotC, but will be doing this upon completion of the model.

One other feature I added, again to help distinguish this as a vehicle of importance, is the off white (Yellow) Stripe down the centre. As also seen, on Gabriel, the Company Master that will be taking this beast into battle.

gallery_65020_6770_45176.jpg

As always, please leave any feedback, good or bad. Because this is unfinished, I have yet to varnish it, so there is still time to change, add, remove anything I decide to.

:sick: wow, those look good, love the weathering!

Now, I have some good and some bad news...

First, you've made a double post. But seeing as this is such an awesome model, I dont hink anyone would mind :down:.

Very inspirational thread this, I like it. I probably can never top, or paint vehicles on the same level as you but that doesnt mean I can stop trying.

Loads of ideas here. I like!

The other thing I have been working on, and admittedly has taken up most of my week, is this bad boy right here.

gallery_65020_6770_114332.jpg

Obviously this still has a lot to go, but I think I have achieved a pretty good start on it. As seen below, I have tried to make this more of a GotC type fortress over the Dark Angels. I figured I would show respect to the founding chapter by still displaying the Winged Sword on the panels surrounding the fortress, but I have added the colour scheme and iconography used by the different companies of the GotC. Also, to make it fit in with my army, I have added a couple large hanging banners (I will also have two more on the other side once that is complete).

gallery_65020_6770_127145.jpg

This image here, I just thought I would throw in to show what I bit of ink can do to a walkway to make it look damp in places and helps compliment the rusted appearance I think. Just something I thought I would try out that I was quite happy with.

gallery_65020_6770_2949.jpg

And that's about it for now. As always I am open for suggestion, I love the feedback, and hopefully should have up some overall pictures of my army as a whole (so far) up within the next day or so.

:eek - OVERWHELMED!!!

What an amazing LR!!! I can only imagine how it would look once finished - with all the script there! Love all your little details - like the script on the multi-melta... And the white stripe? the Chapter symbol painted on top of the transports for Masters? Both great ideas and work very well.

Regarding the Fortress, I'm just enviuos and reminds me of getting mine underway too... :D

Wow, excellent work Yellow Stripe!

I really like the weathering on the Raider and the rust on the Fortress. The ink effect works really well too. Overall, I like it a lot!

Any chance of a weathering and rust tutorial once you're done?

@Stobz + Flint&Steel: Haha, yeah, silly computer wasn't working in my favour and that resulted in a double post :lol: Seems to all be sorted out now though. Thanks for the praise.

@Captain Semper: Also thankyou, I am glad you like the details. The little things always stand out the most to me when I look at models, so I try to use details like wherever possible to make it work. Another note, I am quite keen to see the overall finished product of your Fortress. I saw some WiP shots of it in an update you did a while back, and it looks amazing. Anyway, truly looking forward to any updates on this.

And to those who would like to see a tutorial on some of the effects I have used, I would be more than happy to do this. I should be doing some more of my fortress within the next few days so I will gladly take some step by step photos to show the process.

Now this might be a silly question, but as this is 1 of my 2 threads and I am relatively new to the B&C, I just want to ask if it would be worth trying to make a separate tutorial to post in the Librarium?

(I had a look at the link, and found I was a little unsure how to actually begin a new article).

Otherwise, I have no issue putting together a tutorial and just add it in here. Just wanted your opinion on what you would prefer me to do.

And lastly, as promised yesterday, I will be uploading some pics of my army within the next hour or so.

Okey-Dokey, first off, as I mentioned a few posts ago, my 3rd Company Master, Suriel, was undergoing a complete rebuild. I figured being a more important figure, he would be able to wield more advanced weaponry within the armory. I have stuck with a power weapon (in the form of a halberd), and have now equipped Suriel with a wrist mounted Storm Bolter.

gallery_65020_6770_29777.jpg

Quite some time back, I noticed a detail on the cover to the Dark Angels Codex...

med_gallery_65020_6770_51032.jpg

Its very hard to see (its the best I could find) but where I have circled in red, there is a figure walking down from the fortress, with what seems to be a halberd or stave. I have always loved this image, and thought it would be great to equip my Company Master with a similar layout.

Small update here, and a bit of a mouthful, but I have replaced the Company Standard Bearer's Standard, with the Company Standard, opposed to the Chapter Standard. Not a huge change that needed to happen or anything, just something I decided upon, and quite like the now much lighter banner in contrast with the rest of the army.

gallery_65020_6770_67579.jpg

And, here is the whole lot as it is coming together. I still have quite a bit of work to go (finish off LRC, Fortress, 1 last tactical marine + Rhino, and then move onto a couple tanks and bikes), but I am quite happy with the overall look.

gallery_65020_6770_27213.jpg

As always, please let me know what you think, I look forward to reading your comments.

Man, when I first saw your work I thought it was going to look too BAish.

How wrong was I? Really nice and gothic looking force Brother YS.

I'm loving the Halberd, many other conversions still look GKish, you managed to really nail that one.

The crossed sword motif repeated throughout really unifies the force too.

Cudos Sir.

s

Firstly, let me preface this by saying excellent models, wonderfully converted and very well painted.

Quite some time back, I noticed a detail on the cover to the Dark Angels Codex...

med_gallery_65020_6770_51032.jpg

Its very hard to see (its the best I could find) but where I have circled in red, there is a figure walking down from the fortress, with what seems to be a halberd or stave. I have always loved this image, and thought it would be great to equip my Company Master with a similar layout.

Um, not to diminish your wonderfully converted model, but thats just a Master in a winged helm and a power sword with hooded acolytes/Marines behind him.

Its clearer in this close up shot.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa365/MadDocNZ/40K/P1000786_close.jpg

Sorry to be a killjoy. :blush:

As I said above though, wonderful conversion and nicely painted to boot.

Some brilliant work here Yellow Stripe, you've got a great looking army so far. Can't wait to see the LRC finished and the way you've broken up the silver with lots of red ties it all together so well.

I'd be really interested in a rust/weathering tutorial from you as well, the use of the ink is genius.

As requested, I have made a step by step tutorial, as to how I achieved my 'Rusted' appearance when painting my Fortress of Redemption. Fist off, I have taken photos of each stage, but must apologize for any inconsistencies in lighting. As these images were taken at different times during the day, I was unable to get an even show of lighting throughout all images. Anyway, overall its actually a pretty simple process and honestly took under half an hour to complete from start to finish (excluding drying time for the ink). The whole process was completed using a small range of Citadel foundation paints, and inks. I used a Large Drybrush for applying the paint, and a Medium Drybrush for the Inking stage later in the tutorial.

First Step: Quite simply, I gave an all over coat on my fortress by doing a very rough over-brush on the entire area with CHARADON GRANITE. Over-brushing is basically the same technique as dry-brushing, but without the brush being too dry. You have more paint on the brush, and therefore leaves more paint on the model. I haven't actually used this technique with anything else yet, but wanted to get a more textured base coat for the model and was overall, quite happy with the effect.

gallery_65020_7072_424060.jpg

Second Step: Again, this is a very rough over-brush of the area, but this time with MACHARIUS SOLAR ORANGE. Personally, I found it hard to get a consistent coverage with this colour, but found that working the brush in a circular manner, slowly working over the whole area, was in my opinion, able to spread out any build up of paint, and get in most of the little nooks.

gallery_65020_7072_69227.jpg

Third Step: To be completely honest, if you are better at dry-brushing than I am, you can probably dry-brush the last bit and skip this step. All I did here, was lightly dry-brush back selected parts over the area with CHARADON GRANITE again, to even out the colours a little bit more, and remove any build up of the orange. At this point, I was alternating between two Large Drybrushes (one for the Orange, one for Granite) to get the desired effect. As per the image, you can still see it is a little patchy in some areas, but I wasn't too concerned about this, as I personally liked the effect, and gives the appearance of corrosion at different rates.

gallery_65020_7072_92613.jpg

Fourth Step: Here is the last major step, and is quite simply a light dry-brush over the area again, this time with DHENEB STONE. As before, I found working the brush in a circular motion, tends to even out any inconsistencies. By applying the Stone, it adds a dusty appearance, and dulls down the brightness of the Orange to a more natural rusty colour.

(Apologies for the lack of photo on the tower, I didn't realize I hadn't taken one till after the next step.)

gallery_65020_7072_238559.jpg

And after some touch ups around the 'Rusted' area. Here I just got rid of any excess paint on unwanted areas, and also painted all the screws/bolts in Boltgun Metal. Not at all needed, I just wanted to tidy up a little.

gallery_65020_7072_158300.jpg

Fifth Step: Okay, so by now, the 'Rust' was pretty much complete, but I wanted to add the appearance of moisture and liquid build up around the affected areas. Here I used an old Medium Drybrush to apply heavy amounts of GRYPHONNE SEPIA, an ink wash, to the crevices/areas I felt the need to. I found that applying the ink quite heavy into the corners, and slowly dabbing around the area, working inwards was a good way to show a bit of a blend, and was able to show more darker, built up areas, by leaving more of a puddle. I tried to take the below image quickly after applying to give a bit of an idea as to how much ink I let sit there.

gallery_65020_7072_220174.jpg

And, once leaving for 15-20 minutes, should look a little something like this:

gallery_65020_7072_258856.jpg

gallery_65020_7072_131531.jpg

As you can see, the ink settles in quite nice, and meshes well with the other colours used. Personally I was very happy with the way things turned out, and I hope I was able to help some of you achieve similar results, or at least give some ideas when it comes to weathering.

Thanks to all for your feedback too, the fact that I had a handful of you requested this tutorial means a lot to me. I have never really done a tutorial of sorts up until now, and to be honest, quite enjoyed it, so please, if there is anything else anyone would like to know about achieving any of the effects I get with my models, let me know, and I will be happy to try and pull something together.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad it is helpful :D

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I was a little unsure on how to post a thread within the Librarium. I figured this would be a helpful place to put something like this (or if you can think of anywhere else, please let me know), but am a little unsure as to how I would do so. I don't seem to have access to the new topic option. I realise this is something probably very simple, but if someone was able to help shed some light on this topic, I would happily move the tutorial to a more convenient go-to.

Archived