Guardians of the Covenant

Yellow Stripe

You make me weep.

I weep not just for the beauty of your models, for they are beautiful, but also for knowing that, even after painting these things for twenty-five years, I am still not nearly as good a painter as you are.

Thats some really nice progress on the gaurdians, really like the Landraider all the weathering makes it look really awesome. The fortress of redemption looks great a really nice piece to go with your army.

Great stuff :)

Frater Uriah said it for me.

Fantastic job there Yellow - and tutorial for that matter! This army is growing beutifully and can't wait on your take on bikes! I tried something more trivial for the floors of the Fortress (involving tons of tinbitz and buckets of brown-ish washes) but now I'll revisit it -since we have a technique that works. :lol:

You managed to turn a predominantly red army to an iconic Unforgiven force! Congratulations man, keep impressing us!

Your work rocks Yellow, so much so I'm trying to get my mate Ageis to start a GotC army. He recently had to sell his epic BA army due to moving and is looking long and hard at joining the Unforgiven.

Maybe a RW contingent would be cool, got any bikes to show him?

s

Your work rocks Yellow, so much so I'm trying to get my mate Ageis to start a GotC army. He recently had to sell his epic BA army due to moving and is looking long and hard at joining the Unforgiven.

Maybe a RW contingent would be cool, got any bikes to show him?

s

Ooh, I don't have any bikes as yet. I have bikers all set to paint up but am still waiting on the bikes to arrive in the post. At the moment, I'm working on polishing off this Fortress, and finishing off my LRC, but the bikes are my next priority.

Hopefully before the end of next week I will have something I can show you, and hopefully well enough to convince Ageis :) I'll see what I can do

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately, have yet to receive the bikes + tanks :cuss Hopefully early next week I should be receiving them and start making some progress!

However, the time spent away from the Army, has allowed me to complete this...

gallery_65020_6770_85640.jpg

.. and a few more close ups like the last update I had, I stuck to using the different GotC Company insignia behind the famous Winged Sword...

gallery_65020_6770_19725.jpg

.. also, I have allowed for the doors here to be removable, showing of the shiny little package inside...

gallery_65020_6770_161234.jpg

.. and, here's the guys in front of the beast of a Fortress!

gallery_65020_6770_234521.jpg

.. okay, just one more, because the scale of it is just awesome!

gallery_65020_6770_215160.jpg

As always, let me know what you think, and I will try and have some bikes and stuff up in the near future ;)

.. also, I have allowed for the doors here to be removable, showing of the shiny little package inside...

gallery_65020_6770_161234.jpg

Nice Work man! Now be honest, was it as hard as you imagined before you started painting?

Are those plasticard crossed swords or did you do something funky with the spare door to come up with that icon...

Nice Work man! Now be honest, was it as hard as you imagined before you started painting?

Are those plasticard crossed swords or did you do something funky with the spare door to come up with that icon...

Thanks Dean, yeah, with the doors, I basically sanded away the aquilla, on my spare door, and after a base coat just painted it on.

And for your other question, surprisingly no. I put it off for a few months due to the size and time involved with it, but it wasnt too bad at all. Most of it just came down to a lot of dry brushing and various washes, followed by the details. I think the part I found the hardest was definately the tower part if it, just because of the large area on the four sides, it was challenging to make it look as detailed, and fit in with the rest of it. In the end I drybrushed four different colours to layer it, applied two different washes to the area, then highlighted raised areas, drybrushed once more then gave a very light coat of chaos black spray just to tone down the colours a little and make it blend a little better.

Overall though, quite easy compared to what I expected, and really enjoyable to piece together. If you were considering getting one, but are putting it off, Id recommend it. Its also good to take a little break from the minis :ph34r:

And for your other question, surprisingly no. I put it off for a few months due to the size and time involved with it, but it wasnt too bad at all. Most of it just came down to a lot of dry brushing and various washes, followed by the details. I think the part I found the hardest was definately the tower part if it, just because of the large area on the four sides, it was challenging to make it look as detailed, and fit in with the rest of it. In the end I drybrushed four different colours to layer it, applied two different washes to the area, then highlighted raised areas, drybrushed once more then gave a very light coat of chaos black spray just to tone down the colours a little and make it blend a little better.

Overall though, quite easy compared to what I expected, and really enjoyable to piece together. If you were considering getting one, but are putting it off, Id recommend it. Its also good to take a little break from the minis :ph34r:

I put mine off for almost a year, for many of the same reasons and I found it just as easy as you did. Not hard at all just bigger... Now help me convince Semper to finish his.

My B&C plog

The picture with the close-up on your Belial and the tower in the background is awesome! Great work there Yellow Stripe - love all the little details - the shiels for example is not only excellent - it is also to be stolen (by me :))!

Which means I have to get started... again... Brother dean is my motivator on this one - thx to him I fiinished one facade of the tower... :D

Yellow Stripe, the entirety of your work on the GotC is outstanding! I'm loving the company markings on the shields on the Fortress, great idea, and your tutorial on the rust effect is very nice. Now hopefully it will work with the new Citadel paint line!

I think it's funny that your Terminator Captain's head is exactly the opposite set up of my sergeants'!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, took a short break but have some more updates on my army to put up. To be honest, I haven't achieved as much as I would have liked to over the past few weeks, but I've ticked a few things off. I have not uploaded pictures of it at this time, but the Land Raider Crusader I was working on is now completed, and should have pics up soon.

First off, because my bikes/tanks I was planning to do, took a little while longer to receive than expected, I picked up a squad of Terminators to fill the time.

With these guys, I wanted to pick a different colour scheme to the Terminators serving in 'Gabriel's' Command Squad to go with these guys, and after a bit of thought, decided to go with the below scheme:

gallery_65020_6770_146479.jpg

gallery_65020_6770_97805.jpg

gallery_65020_6770_8267.jpg

Like I mentioned, I wanted to go with a different scheme, while still keeping true to the overall theme of the army, without taking the spotlight away from the Command Squad. Put simply, members of the Command Squad will all wear Red helmets, while other squads wear Black. Also, I decided to go for a 'Boltgun' streak through the centre of the helmet on Sergeants (although my CS Sergeant does not have a helmet to display this).

gallery_65020_6770_57894.jpg

As per the above image, I also have a slightly different design for the helmet of the Apothecary, and all Company Masters within the Chapter will wear a Yellow Stripe though the centre of the helmet.

The other thing I have started putting together is a small squad of Bikers from the 2nd Company. I only have one guy done so far, and will be the Sergeant for the Squad.

gallery_65020_6770_64517.jpg

gallery_65020_6770_166673.jpg

I wanted to keep true to the colour scheme given to the GotC within the DA Codex, but decided to give it the grittier, battle worn look I have given the rest of my army. I also through a little bit of mud around on there too :P

I still have 2 more of these guys to go, all primed waiting for painting, so hopefully within the week or so my 3 man squad should be all done. Then, to move on to the Predator and Vindicator that I have both sitting in their boxes here :D

One thing I would like to ask while I am at it however, Is has anyone had a chance to use the new 'Nuln Oil' Shade within the new Citadel paint range? I tried to stock up of the colours I use before they phased the old ones out, but am finding I am basically out of the 'Badab Black' wash, and was just wondering if it dries leaving the same sort of finish. As I'd prefer to have no inconsistencies throughout my models, I have put off purchasing these for now, and just wanted to ask if anyone has been able to compare the two. Any help here is appreciated.

As always guys, any feedback here is more than welcome, and I should have some more pics up over the coming weeks.

Those are really nice looking. :)

two things I have to point out though:

- red eye-lenses don't work well with a white and red helmet.

- the blood on the sgt sword is on the wrong side of the blade.

Nothing that really detracts but I think it could be improved.

Looking really cool YS, loving new termies.

I must respecfully disagree with CL about the blood, it looks like he just 'lifted' the blade up through some unlucky persons' guts. Nice.

The different eyes I agree aren't nessessary, you could have kept them white like the rest, but there are stories where the lens colour changes depending on the visual 'mode' the termie is in, so all good and +1 Rule of Cool award to you Sir.

Hope you had a great ANZAC day yesterday, mine was 'rough' ;) plenty to drink at the RSA after the dawn Pde :lol:

:D

stobz

It is clear from what exists in the images on this thread that you Mr. Yellow stripe are a master of your craft and i am not fit to lick your paintbrush. Your creativity is inspiring and technique seems peerless. I wish you good luck in what ever other challenges you take on, as this effort may be your ouevre! I really like the stripe in the middle of the helmet, as a technique i may be able to employ. But enough of my inane blather! *Bows* were not worthy! *bows* were not worthy!...

Seriously cool stuff man.

*Bows* were not worthy! *bows* were not worthy!...

Seconded :lol:

My only personal critique is the front wheel guard seam where the 2 halves join together. I hated it too when I was doing my bikes but I just had to sand it out on mine.

I have loved reading this thread!

Your work is incredible!

Thanks also for your tutorial. For someone like me who is just starting out in this hobby its great to see such accomplished work as gives me a ( very distant) target to aspire to, and also you have very kindly added a "how too".

So thanks very much sir and keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived