Montgisard Crusade

Idlem

:) Montgisard Crusade ^_^

Montgisard, it is an isolated system of planets which lie between the Tau Empire and the Warp Storm known as the “Heart of Darkness”. Though there are 15 planets in the system, only three are habitable and contain any form of a population. These planets are Arsuf, Lydda and Ramla. Upon its discovery during the Great Crusade, Montgisard was brought into compliance by the Word Bearers Legion, and great citadels to the Emperor were built along the Hive Cities of the capital planet of Arsuf. Lydda was settled by a small force of the Adeptus Mechanicus and finally Ramla was formed into an Agri world to supply both Arsuf and Lydda. With the outbreak of the Horus Heresy, Montgisard was left forgotten, the system overlooked by more important strategic points. Left alone, Montgisard carried on in the way that it had been left, a system in compliance with the Imperium and brought to near fanatical worship of the Emperor by a once loyal Word Bearers. It continued this way for nearly ten millennia.

Discovery

A small fleet of Black Templars rediscover the Montgisard system on route toward the Damocles Gulf. With the Damocles Crusade just ending before their arrival, the fleet decides to investigate what seem to be ancient Imperial signals originating from the system. Led by Marshall Anselm, the fleet discovers the virtually untouched system, still dedicated to the ideals and visions of the Great Crusade. The arrival of the fleet is met with mass celebration by the local population, centered at the largest citadel on the planet Arsuf. Though much had been forgotten about the Imperium, two names had not been lost, “The Emperor” and “Lorgar”. Realizing the Templar’s colors where mistaken for the Pre-Heresy Word Bearers, the newly arrived Templars found themselves the center of worship of an overjoyed populace. Marshall Anselm was a tempered man, but became deeply troubled by the implications this knowledge brought. He gathered his Sword Brethren, and sought council in what to do with the system that, on the whole remained loyal to the Emperor and Imperium, but was seeded by a Traitor Legion. Gathering his forces, he immediately left orbit of Arsuf and sent a coded message into the void of space. There, the fleet of Templars waited. They would either purge the system or wait for the Inquisition to arrive and see to the testing of the purity of Montgisard.

The First Montgisard Crusade

Marshall Anselm would never get his answer, as out of the void of space came a Space Hulk which registered with countless echoes of Ork occupants. Unable to simply sit aside, Anselm dedicated his forces to the defense of the system. The Crusade was costly for the Templars, who were forced to split themselves among the defense of the three planets vital to the war effort. Though numerous, the population of Arsuf were not trained in warfare, and the factories of Lydda had fallen into creating vital supplies for the system instead of producing weapons. Ramla was thankfully the furthest from the fighting, yet couldn’t supply any armed transport of vital food supplies for the two other planets which relied on it. Though the Templars struggled in their defense of the system, used to being the attacking force instead of the defenders, they managed to hold back the growing Ork Waaagh from overrunning the system entirely. Marshall Anselm, reminding his brothers that they were Sons of Dorn, and that Sigismund himself was chosen to defend Holy Terra in Dorn’s absence, managed to lead his brothers in holding back a force that, by all means, should have overran the system in a matter of days.

The Rise of a Champion

It is said somewhere in the galaxy the Emperor’s Tarot was drawn showing the fall of a hero, and out of his ashes arising a new champion. Not knowing how this divination was to play out, all the foreteller could do was shrug and wait. The Emperor would guide, as always…

In the final days of the first Crusade, the Orks managed a spearhead attack into the heart of Arsuf. Gathering what forces he could, Anselm led the counter attack, holding the line at the most holy of temples dedicated to the Emperor on the planet. For days and nights the Templars fought against the greentide, with no end or relief for the besieged forces in sight. On the 7th night of fighting, an initiate by the name of Bastion found the floor under him giving out, sending the Templar into the depths of the ancient cathedral. Freeing himself from the rubble, the Templar discovered himself in a vast underground chamber forgotten since the days of the Great Crusade. The darkness was vast and encompassing, pressing almost malevolently. It was in this endless darkness did Bastion see a light. A faded figure, an error in his optics, perhaps, seemed to walk into the distance of the chamber. Lacking any other alternative, Bastion followed the ghostly figure before coming upon a grand apse. Vanishing into the darkness, the figure’s light faded, leaving Bastion once alone in the darkness. His optics adjusting once more, Bastion found himself standing before an altar, upon it a great axe resting in the layers of dust. Stripped of his own weapons from the fall, Bastion reached out toward the blade, his armor suddenly resonating with the ancient relic.

Words flashed across his vision. Words from another time, a warning.

“Only those worthy of the Emperor will be aided by Dyrnwyn.”

The Fall of a Hero

On the morning of the 8th day, Marshall Anselm found himself before the Warboss of the Waaagh attacking the Montgisard System, the Warboss drawn to the fiercest of fighting like a moth to flame. The clashing of battle from these two titanic figures shook the great cathedral; the armies fighting around the two reached a zenith. However, the days of endless fighting took its toll on Anselm’s armor, and with a crushing blow from the Warboss’ power klaw, Anselm’s body was shattered, snuffing the life out of the great Marshall. In the moment of the Warboss’ victorious cry, the din of thousands of orks roaring at the top of their lungs, another cry pierced the heavens. Arising from the rubble of the ruined cathedral, Bastion emerged from the darkness carrying the Relic Blade Dyrnwyn, the axe glowing with ancient energy that resembled a flame. Arriving just to see Anselm fall, Bastion’s fury overwhelmed him as he charged straight toward the Warboss, his battle cry rising above that of even the Ork’s victorious cry. With a single blow, Bastion slew the Warboss, cleaving through the great ork without a moment of hesitation before rushing to the next enemy. Killing blow after killing blow, Bastion did not stop, rushing deeper into the Ork’s line with a deafening howl of rage. Moralized by their brother’s sudden victory over the Warboss, the rest of the Templar line surged forward, carving a bloody path through a suddenly panicking Orkish horde.

The End of the First Crusade

The Imperial Navy and Inquisition arrived days later, mopping up the remaining Ork forces and finding the surviving forces of the Black Templars and planetary population. The Templars, cleared of their duty to protect the planets relinquished control, gathering their fallen and wounded. Accounts of Bastion’s rise with Dyrnwyn were left a private matter, the surviving Sword Brethren determining Bastion’s fate was best left in the hands of the Chapter’s chaplains instead of being placed within the machinations of the Inquisition. Leaving the system, the remaining forces set off to contact the High Marshall to report the fate of the Crusade, and to determine whether Bastion’s rise with Dyrnwyn was a blessing of the Emperor, or the seeding of heresy by a weapon left on a world once claimed by Word Bearers.

The fate of Montgisard, at least for the Black Templars who had fought there, was left unknown. It wouldn’t be until the ending years of the 41st millennium would the fates of Montgisard and Bastion once again reunite…

Good stuff.

One comment though. Im a noob to gaming but from I've been reading, a powerfist is not the best option for a marshal because you would be wasting his higher initiative. Most people seem to favor the lightning claw(or counts as lightning claw) + storm shield. With the AAC rule you would get to reroll to hit and to wound plus have that nice invulnerable save from the storm shield

As stated, thats probably not the best loadout for a marshall. We are supposedly receiving a new codex soon so it might become a viable option though so who knows?

If you are going more for an awesome look than gaming option though Id say you've succeeded!

Sorting out the fluff of my Crusade, I've settled with the name "Montgisard Crusade".

The idea is that the Crusade is a renewed Crusade, in which my Marshall, (Either named Bastion or Anselm, haven't decided) was an initiate of the original crusade.

The first Crusade suffered staggering casualties in the Montgisard system defending a particular temple for the Emperor, and the Marshall called for a withdraw. Deciding to hold the line along with two of the Marshall's chosen sword brothers, the three left behind held out long enough for the survivors to withdraw with what relics could be saved.

(Bastion-Anselm), was one of the few survivors who carried off certain relics of the Emperor, one being an ancient relic blade from the time of the Great Crusade. (Bastion-Anselm), upon taking hold of the axe, was blessed by a vision of the emperor guiding him back to Montigisard, along with five warriors whose swords gleamed with the Emperor's holy light.

Upon becoming a member of the Sword Brethren, (Bastion-Anselm) sought these five warriors among the Sword Brethern from his vision, finding each man through continued visions led by the chapter chaplains. At last finding each warrior from his vision, the chaplains bestowed the relic blade from Montigisard to the new Marshall, who swore the oath to retake the system and return the blade to its hollowed ground.

The personal heraldry of the new Crusade is a red square with three black lines diagonally through it. The lines honor the three original warriors of the first Montgisard crusade who sacrificed themselves, and the red square honors the rest of the Templars who died in the original crusade.

I decided to make an alternate version of my Marshall, using some of the suggestions given. Made sure he was going to be a quick one at least. :)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391801_10100359026939101_17006873_47008464_1904575664_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387230_10100359026704571_17006873_47008463_296160704_n.jpg

...and you know, with a close up picture in better light, you can really see the damn mold lines. *sighs and grabs his filer*

• 2 weeks later...

New initiates added!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419942_10100384578927711_17006873_47093057_640834122_n.jpg

Also a small battle report. Still haven't gotten a proper Templar codex, but I played a small introductory game with my brother. Vanilla Marines against Chaos, Templars vs. Word Bearers. 555 point game.

As I said, it was basically teaching us both basics, and I'm sure mistakes were made. My brother definitely didn't play his army as he should of, but still a victory is a victory. :D

1 Captain

5 Scouts

10 Tactical Marines

5 Assault Marines.

1 Chaos Lord

10 Berzerkers, split into 2 groups of 5

10 Chaos Marines.

Round 1.

First move was mine, and sadly I fought in a very un-Templar like fashion. I brought up my all Marines under cover, the battle field separated by two lines of "walls". I waited for his move into my range.

His move oddly brought his entire Chaos Marine squad behind the only building on the board. He hid them behind there in effort to keep my two heavy bolters from picking at him. His berzerkers ran for cover and then took pot shots at my tactical squad. No wounds, lots of saves.

Round 2.

I stood my ground and let my Marines take their shots. Both squads of his Berzerkers were within 12 inches, so I managed a ton of shots at him. Sadly, the Dark Gods protected him, and I only managed to fell 2 of his Berzerkers. Being Fearless, they remained where they stood. My Assault Marines took a few shots at him, I decided to hold them back this turn to see what he was doing with his Chaos Marines behind the building with his Chaos Lord. Otherwise, I remained unmoved.

His turn had him unwilling to make the move across the field to get into melee with me. The bulk of my army was all together, and lacking pie plates would see his 2 squads wiped out without back up. He opted to take some pot shots and two of my scouts fell to his unholy fire. He moved his Chaos Marines and Lord within maximum bolter range and kept them there.

Round 3.

He was expecting my Assault Squad to go for the weaker of the two Berzerker Squads so he moved his main force closer to the full strength squad. Undeterred, I brought out my assault Marines in force, taking a few shots and getting a lucky kill from a plasma pistol. They charged and proceeded to wipe out the berzerker squad, though losing three of their own. The main force with scouts proceeded to blast apart the second berzerker squad, bringing it down to a one man squad.

Determined not to let me take out the last of his Berserkers, he moved him away from the fight. He took his Chaos Marine Squad and did some long range pot shots at my main force, taking out a single marine with a volley of long range fire.

Round 4.

My Assault Marines made sure his last Berzerker didn't escape the Emperors' wrath. Still within range of a plasma shot, my Assault Marines put the lone Khornite out of his misary, and them moved slightly closer to his Chaos Marines. I figured they'd buy me a non-fired upon move by my main force, or at least put his marines in CC for a round. Took some long range pot shots, didn't get a damn thing out of it. Their heretical armor proving too much.

Being within rapid fire range, his Chaos Marines unloaded their wrath into my assault marines, their plasma shots and melta weapon making the assault marines into goo. With his CC squad dead, he decided to keep his Chaos Marines at max firing range. He decided this was the time, with all his CC dead to unleash his Lord from his Chaos Marine Squad. I guess he wanted to finally put to use his Lords pair of Lightning Claws. His Lord started his trek across the field in terminator armor.

Round 5.

My Marines split their fire, my scouts picking off one more of the Chaos Marines and my Tactical Squad and Captain firing their best at the Chaos Lord. Lacking plasma weapons, my bolter fire bounced off the terminator armor.

His Lord reached charging range, and boy did he make my tactical squad hurt. He took out five of my marines before a concentrated effort by my Captain and Sargent power-sucker punched their way through the Chaos Lord's terminators armor.

Round 6.

Caught in the rush of victory over the Chaos Lord, my Captain led the charge up the field to the remaining heretics. A few shots from pistol fire brought down an additional heretic.

Knowing their end was coming, the Heretics returned the charge and met the Templars in the field. Bloody Melee was met, with the Emperor protecting the Templars from many blows. Losing only one of their tactical marines, the remaining Templar force utterly wiped out the remaining heretics.

So there we have it. Like I said, we're both learning and I'm sure we made plenty mistakes. Regardless, when my brother and I have more time, we'll see a proper list and play a real game.

• 2 weeks later...

http://slother.poligon.net.pl/HeresyStamp.png

Heresy Brothers! The vile powers of chaos have corrupted my brother's birthday wish into me finishing his Chaos Lord and putting together a Daemon Prince! The vile Word Bearers have invaded temporarily in these terrible holopics! I still need to green stuff the arm blades to look more natural, and finish the gore of the torn apart Marine in the left hand of the Daemon Prince. Chaos Lord is still a WIP, so he'll be getting a lot more done to him.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/402490_10100408728312151_17006873_47161420_242728263_n.jpg

Thankfully, a two more of our Templar brethren have been finished to take the fight to these vile heretics. Here they are next to my Emperor's Champion and an unfinished Heavy Bolter Marine. The Emperor Protects!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430761_10100408742039641_17006873_47161511_1908856826_n.jpg

Oh, and my cat decided to get into the whole Templar thing. He's already black and white and wanted to crush some heretics.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184861_838729617131_17006873_44353455_3663800_n.jpg

I cannot believe it...heresy. On our hallowed pages...heresy of the highest caliber!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184861_838729617131_17006873_44353455_3663800_n.jpg

Buuuurn! *deploys the righteously holy spray can of xeno psyker kitten repellent*

Oh yeah...should do somethin' about those Word Bearers, too....

Hey hey, he's like the most Templar-like cat you could get! He crusades after small invaders and is already our chapter's colors!

...and the Word Bearers have already tasted defeat once. They're properly surrounded by my force at the moment until they return to their unholy pit. Kinda funny though, my brother and I picked the most zealous Marines/Heretics...

hey, my cat is also black & white and a true templar! :)

anyway, a gift for Firepower (sorry for the off-topic bros)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OGEr2dd46t0/TjCOemB8UgI/AAAAAAAAC70/IJVD_IFyT8M/s1600/there-is-a-disturbance-in-the-force-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

As long as you don't push it, and keep it SM oriented. Then it should be fine.

Believe the golden rule is: anything not power armor is a no-go on this site. (But all rules are made to be broken, just don't make a habit out of it.)

Do note ofc: The 'psyker kitten' is somewhat of a internal joke here on the BT subforum.

A bit of an update of some of my forces and my Birthday Heresy Present.

I'm not going to lie, I love the ideas of Heavy Bolters. I made this WIP guy as a near copy of my avatar from the Space Marine video game, and plan to use him if I ever have my Marshall use a "Storm Bolter".

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/404260_10100418268204131_17006873_47187252_175855712_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/424454_10100418268378781_17006873_47187253_607372123_n.jpg

As you see in the background, I got to put together a Rhino this weekend. Damn thing is always such a pain to put together, and I had to greenstuff some gaps closed. Two "Sword Brethren" are also in the picture.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/395428_10100418268583371_17006873_47187254_1408431554_n.jpg

Now, sadly, the heretical birthday presents. I have until the 15th to get them done. I think I'm happy with the Chaos Lord, and the Daemon Prince is still a bit away from finished. (Like that brown gap on his damn horn I missed and the flocking stuck in the Lord's chainmail I gotta brush out.)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/416955_10100418268782971_17006873_47187255_1757336789_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/409078_10100418269002531_17006873_47187256_1912798931_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/420244_10100418269197141_224441014_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/421284_10100418269331871_17006873_47187258_343601843_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/402561_10100418269486561_17006873_47187260_303170586_n.jpg

...yes, that is a Templar in the Prince's hand. My brother was specific in that his Warband's mortal enemy is my Chapter. We've agreed that our fluff is going to reflect this in that the Montgisard Crusade will be a campaign we both play once we know the rules well enough.

I got my wife diamonds and jewelry for Valentines. She gets me some Templars. :P

FIRST of all, I had another game with my brother when I presented him his early heretical birthday presents. Didn't have time to finish the game, but it was a good 1500 point battle with the Templars taking another victory against the freshly painted forces of Chaos. When we had ended, I had slain 16 heretics to my loss of 5 Templars. (One had blown himself up with a plasma charge. >.>) The rolls were against him, but it might have been the verses to the Emperor that I hid under his Daemon Prince's base. (The Emperor Protects!)

Now for my Valentine's gifts.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/409488_10100424401587781_17006873_47203700_1656030886_n.jpg

With the forces of Chaos gaining a Daemon Prince, the Emperor acted through my wife to get me a Dreadnaught to counter with it. His right arm isn't glued on so that I may swap out his weapon freely for whatever I need. For now, I like the autocannon.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/425685_10100424402431091_17006873_47203701_1669027315_n.jpg

Hammernators. Sadly not the fancy Forgeworld Shield, but I did have the shoulders from my chapter upgrade bitz to get them properly Templar fitted. Love me some close combat hammerbashing.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/402145_10100424402994961_17006873_47203704_1655064414_n.jpg

...aaaand a re-worked Marshall. I tore this guy apart to get him proper Templar pieces, such as the chestpiece, helmet, etc. I also changed his loadout, going for a few options. Stormshield for defense, and I can run his Axe as a power weapon/relic blade/Thunder Hammer as I see fit. Over all he fits a much better build than the powerfist. (As much as I miss the evil monkey pointing)

• 2 weeks later...

An update of Venerable Brother Valentine. (Named that cause he was, you know, a valentines gift)

His right arms haven't been finished yet. I didn't glue them on him so I could swap them out when I pleased, but felt it wasn't right taking a picture of him without an attached arm.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/395452_10100442098662701_17006873_47259692_1955852602_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419060_10100442098547931_17006873_47259691_325408618_n.jpg

First test Hammernator. Changed the yellow on the thunderhammer to a bronze. Looks a lot better.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424893_10100446754023321_17006873_47282005_1900130943_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some new updates.

Marshall Bastion

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/428935_10100473064896121_17006873_47404993_777749607_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306289_10100473064172571_17006873_47404987_1950684808_n.jpg

Painted my brother's Crimson First Captain. Being a fellow Son of Dorn, I figured I could post him here. His name is Captain Ka. (Or Captain K.A. You can figure out what it means)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306616_10100473064447021_17006873_47404991_843348910_n.jpg

He put him together, and in hindsight I shoulda removed the mold lines for him but...eh.

• 5 weeks later...

Some updates of a few finished battle brothers. I can never get a good light, either too bright or too dim...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/575615_10100506808773121_17006873_47579567_2115335951_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/561218_10100520803881811_17006873_47616359_1405988756_n.jpg

Close ups of the first three...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/523765_10100520771401901_17006873_47616356_599486252_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/579172_10100520763228281_17006873_47616355_1651441030_n.jpg

So yeah, there's my insanely slow progress. Finals will be done soon, so maybe I'll be about to devote more time to the crusade.

As long as you don't push it, and keep it SM oriented. Then it should be fine.

Believe the golden rule is: anything not power armor is a no-go on this site. (But all rules are made to be broken, just don't make a habit out of it.)

Do note ofc: The 'psyker kitten' is somewhat of a internal joke here on the BT subforum.

So I suppose posting this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BM7Qj554JBE/ThZE2gFfOMI/AAAAAAAAAGI/NUYTVs0rP1w/s1600/Emperor%20Cat.jpg

is ok, it is in power armour :P

Great models btw, and I'm still to find a slower painter than me... ;)

I support this here loophole. >D

My brother in law also gave me these neophyte back awhile ago. Going to get one of them painted just to have a break from just power armor. They'll be the only units in my army without a power helmet. Just can't stand seeing power armor without a helmet with it.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470520_10100531940938061_17006873_47652249_2118966170_o.jpg

Archived