Camdoran Crusade

Marshal Reinhard

• 2 weeks later...

Hail.

Bit of an intermission update this time around. Work has been proceeding on the tanks, but they're still at pre-priming phase. I've mostly been filling cracks with green stuff to try and and get them to look more even, so nothing yet worth photographing. Also put considerably effort into trying to get Spartan to close its frontal hatch via water treatment, which it mostly does now, though not near ass perfectly as the first one. More on them once the painting actually begins.

Instead this update is a dual overhaul update. The first overhaul concerns the bases on virtually all of my models that have large bases, meaning the Terminators and Dreadnoughts.

Two of the Contemptors have had completely new bases done (the really brown ones) and two I've just redone/ tried to add details. The second overhaul is that I've reorganized my mob of gorilla armored men into four full 10-man squads that are now legal with the codex. Every terminator has to some degree had his base overhauled too.

Contemptor Dreadnoughts

gallery_65134_8775_56335.jpg

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnoughts

gallery_65134_8775_27575.jpg

Space Hulk and Friend

gallery_65134_8775_184751.jpg

Space Hulk terminators are (almost) all back together as one squad again. The extra converted heavy weapons legal with the previous codex have been converted back into bolters. The weapon switch Cyclone on the left is the poor sergeant from Dark vengeance who seems to get a new role every time I overhaul something.

Assault Squad

gallery_65134_8775_47275.jpg

My two Assault Terminator squads have been merged together into one squad with the members of the second squad having switched to claws and now have matching bases. A bit of a shame that I'm not using my home made storm shields anymore, but it would have looked jarring next to the FW ones.

Brown n' rocky bases' Terminators

gallery_65134_8775_255273.jpg

Two formerly sepperate squads joined as one. Two new bolter members joined to allow to fields as one squad with two heavy weapons. Can choose between AC's or Cyclones.

Kitchen Invader Terminators

gallery_65134_8775_160659.jpg

This squad is the one that features the most new stuff, most notably the kitbashed sergeant, the added alternate cyclones, as well as most of the back row bolter guys.... which are kinda hard to see, shoot.

Next update will be either another intermission update (with considerably more 'fresh' content, if so) or an update on the Tanks proper. The second Spartan in particular I am postponing until i get the bits i need to make a pintle-mounted HB, like for Spartan #1.

Reinhard

Everything looks great. I like the bases and think they work best when you have some pops of color in them. Maybe it's the lighting, but some of the shots wash them out in a very muddy singular tone. (same section of color wheel) Maybe add some grass elements coming up from grates for some color to break up the brown? Example, the contemplar bases are much stronger then the space hulk bases beneath them. Otherwise models look utterly amazing!

Another update, this time rather small though. Real life has me quite busy but I try to squeeze in a little hobby time on weekends

Here we go:

gallery_65134_8775_190526.jpg

I have finished modeling the Tanks (well almost, in the case of Spartan) and they have been primed. Something I am rather pleased about, is that I managed to fix the gaping jaw of the Spartan. The hatch closes nice and secure now, just as well as the first.

gallery_65134_8775_52006.jpg

I have also been working on some more caretakers for the armour of the Crusade, another techmarine based on the former sergeant of my now defunct tartaros command squad. Also, in the center I have a Master of the Forge (What should we call those anyway? Senior Techmarines?), based on the tartaros chaplain i did a while back, armed with thunder hammer and conversion beamer. They're still a work in progress compared to old techmarine on the right, but you get the general idea.

gallery_65134_8775_147311.jpg

Last but not least, here's a work in progress of my Honour Guard. A bit of a death star unit with all of them featuring relic blades, but I like where it is going visually. I had actually aquired several types of heads to choose between for them, but but I'm liking the look of the "Destroyer squad" that you see in the picture that I'm almost sure I'll be going with them. My hope is that they will evoke the same general feel as my Emperor's Champion, once painted, rather than the quite heretical base they've been taken from.

Reinhard

Reinhard, can I make an probably crazed suggestion for the honor guard to set them apart as templar?

Instead of the EC/palantine/foppish shoulderpads they have right now, why not find a way to manufacture and slap on pads inspired by the long pads featured on the sword brethren models? It would help detract from the inherent "hereticalness" I think.

Reinhard, can I make an probably crazed suggestion for the honor guard to set them apart as templar?

Instead of the EC/palantine/foppish shoulderpads they have right now, why not find a way to manufacture and slap on pads inspired by the long pads featured on the sword brethren models? It would help detract from the inherent "hereticalness" I think.

well, i think making those old type pads are probably a bit beyond me to replicate. However, I'm not entirely done with 'deflowering' the honour guard yet either. Basicly i ntend to remove the arrow like ornaments from the rim, and then add brass templar crosses. What would be left would be a shoulder pad, shaped like any tartarors shoulder pad, except with a rim reminiscent of my relic contemptor or Emperor's champion, with a templar symbol. It'll be a continued slow process until i strike a balance between ornamental, and the more 'plain' templar look

Very busy with exams right now, so last weekend didn't really have an update, nor is the next weekend likely to have one either.

So this is isn't really an update either, but I've been squeezing in paint time when I can, working on one of the HG models

So this still a WIP that I'm only posting because i want feedback. I want these guys to be very ornate a Honour Guard are

pretty much on the same level as a Marshal in terms of experience, but still want them to feel templary.

gallery_65134_8775_140747.jpg

So here is the first HG, next to my EC since I feel he's as good a point of reference as any

gallery_65134_8775_95004.jpg

Side ways shot. What do you guys think?

gallery_65134_8775_32455.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and here's a back picture too because it might help. Glad you like 'em greggles.

Anyway, to try and get the criticism ball rolling a bit, I was thinking that maybe I should just clip off the gems in the front of the shoulder pads and just have a smooth gold surface instead. One, because the current blue clashes a bit with the rest of the model (of course could just change gem colour...), two, the left gem is rather poorly shaped anyway after I removed the heresy wing from the shoulder pad. What do you all think?

Reinhard

I think before you change the color, maybe change the shade. I think the gems are just to light colored. I like going from a regal blue, to caledor sky, to teclis blue, to lothern sky on my blue gems. this makes for a nice blue gem that doesn't clash with the reds in my own crusade. It's also the progression I use on my power weapons.

Marshal_Roujakis crosses would have been ideal. Only problem is finding ones that small, since I certianly am not skilled enough to make any myself. Skulls I guess is the next best thing, might be more doable.

Urkh Hmm, the only blue I have on that list is Teclis blue. Might consider getting them since I need to get a new white anyway...

Looking good! He looks like he's gonna stomp on some grunts, then hack away at their leader. Very nice overall, a much better result than the premise led me to think of.

On the topic of the Mark of Slaanesh: It is not really noticeable on the scale of "human looks down at tiny soldier on the gaming table", but on the "looking at the single miniature to admire details" or "this is my armour and it has 15cm high marks of Slaanesh on it" scales, it is definitely recognizable. :/

Archived