Knights Hospitaller

I have been working on a DIY chapter based on the Knights Hospitallers using the BT rules. Their primary colors are white armor with red and gold/silver. There is a strong monastic feeling that is represented by robed marines, meq, and terminators being in earth tones. These colors are based on the following:

White, gold, and silver: Purity

Red, : Blood

Brown, and other earth tones: Humility

I thought as a fun twist and a throwback to thier home world they use the Peregrine Falcon as a totem or mascot. I had originally thought to use the hawk but the models look more falcon like than hawk like. Also because I had a ton of DA bits and the raven wings look cool. They are composed mostly of BT, DA, and some Chaos bits to make them look more ornate.

I will do the whole DIY chapter write up another time. I wanted to get your thoughts on this. Who else has done Hospitallers?

I am currently working up a similar chapter, though not using the Templar rules. So I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Are you going to consider the Hospital side of the Hospitallers with your Chapter?

Just, please, don't call them the Knights Hospitaller, please... I'm sure your more original than that :)

Are you going to consider the Hospital side of the Hospitallers with your Chapter?

now that's an interesting Concept! A Space Marine Chapter that is dedicated towards trying to bring advanced medicine to a plague ridden zone or something like that. Massive hospital fleets which go with the chapter into infected areas and treat the populace and purge the source (most of the time Nurgle) mixed with zealous religious overtones, so when there isnt a nurgle infestation the marines find the next best thing and purge them!

-Dono

M2C-verse has the Apothecaries of the higher orders being referred to as Hospitallars. They form an 'ambulance' corps of rhinos outfitted for triage. Its pure fanfic though. I did write a bit about them trying to save a dying sword brethren, once. Couldn't quite get the emotion right.

Anyway, M2C-verse apothecary ranks:

Initiate of the Apothecarion->Medicus->Apothecary->Hospitallar->Lord Hospitallar.

I was also considering doing a Knights Hospitallers thing if our next codex ends up being branded as heresy (sucking). I would use BA rules instead. BA also works for Hospitallers, methinks, with the FNP bubbles and all.

I like the idea of this. If anybody gets this done, please post pics.

Its important to note, the name Hospitallar places an emphasis not on warfighting, but the running of hospitals. It would do well for a player to consider another name, yet model them on the Hospitallars. A noble, knightly chapter is rarely seen in 40K. Chivalry is something 40K could do with a little more of.

What about the Iron Knights a knightly chapter of Dorn's seed? I have seen a few done up with all the trimmings of fantasy bits helms, shields, heraldry and the like adorning the space marine armor. The only part I didn't care for was the armor coloring was too close to the Grey Knight setup.

I like the idea of greendestiny's color scheme and would like to see a few picts...maybe even just a sample from our space marine painter.

I was thinking of using a couple of names that are closely related.

First of course "Knights Hospitaller."

"Knights of Malta." This was an actual name that the Knights Hospitaller went by. After they left Rhodes they built a fortified monastic keep based on the island of Malta. At one point they withstood an army of 40,000 Turks with only 700 knights for several months. At the end of the battle the remaining 15,000 Turks gave up and went home. In the real history the Knights Templar were absorbed by the Knights Hospitaller. When they quit the crusades and moved to Malta they were still a fighting force upheld by the Catholic Church and supported by funding from several Christian nations, especially France and Italy. When funds ran thin they gained authorization to seize ships carrying Turkish goods or that were of Turkish origin. In this way they became very wealthy.

"Maltese Falcons." A little bit of a jibe towards the old Humphry Bogart movie, but actually plays well with my theme since I have the falcon as my mascot.

The SM home world will be called "Malta" after the island on Terra where the real KH lived thousands of years ago. The planet being a feral world with the inhabitants living in a feudal period similar to 1200 AD. Their base is an epic scale version of the real island fortress. Where they withstood an army of 40,000 orcs (kind of rhymes with turk) with only 70 SM!

I am planning on implementing the hospitals into my fluff. Setting up hospital monastery fortresses on multiple worlds to aid mankind and purge the galaxy of horrid xenos infestations.

Primary Enemies:

Orcs: Because of the battle listed above. ( I will do some research and pick an orc tribe to hate)

All things Nurgle

Mutants- Seen as man infected by the warp.

Tyranids: especially Gene Stealers

Of course they hate everything else that all the other space marines hate, just the ones above more than normal.

I will try to post some pics later tonight.

The SM home world will be called "Malta" after the island on Terra where the real KH lived thousands of years ago. The planet being a feral world with the inhabitants living in a feudal period similar to 1200 AD. Their base is an epic scale version of the real island fortress. Where they withstood an army of 40,000 orcs (kind of rhymes with turk) with only 70 SM!

I am planning on implementing the hospitals into my fluff. Setting up hospital monastery fortresses on multiple worlds to aid mankind and purge the galaxy of horrid xenos infestations.

Primary Enemies:

Orcs: Because of the battle listed above. ( I will do some research and pick an orc tribe to hate)

All things Nurgle

Mutants- Seen as man infected by the warp.

Tyranids: especially Gene Stealers

Of course they hate everything else that all the other space marines hate, just the ones above more than normal.

I will try to post some pics later tonight.

This seems very derivative of the real world influences. An homage is more powerful than a parody when it comes to chapter creation, and a good theme does not require exact replication.

Good point Marshal2, don't want it to be tooooo similar to the real world history. Will have to think of that when I do actual fluff writing. I do want them to have more concern for the general populace of the imperium than most other than the Salamanders have.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/hjhjh.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/CIMG1640.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/CIMG1791.jpg

Couple of older pics of models I worked on a few years ago.

Thanks for the compliments and good to know on the SOB already having hospitallers.

What do you think of the other names that I came up with? I want to keep the deep religious feel they have and their ties with a templar/crusade. I also am very keen to keep the falcon as part of their look. They aren't really Black Templars, Red Templars, or White Templars.

Here are a few pics of my Rhino base tanks that I have been working on. I went sort of wild with magnets and made it so that I could do rhinos, razorbacks, preditors, and some fluffy totally not legal pred versions I made up just for fun.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/rhinolt.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/imag0053.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/lazraz.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/preditorultimabolterrt.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/preditorultimarear.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x277/greendestiny_bucket/IMAG0047.jpg

Maltese Falcons is a good name...stick with it.

I like the color scheme of the knights. I also really like the colors for equipment...a very military theme. Many times you see the colors of the power armor and tanks match...but I like the mix you came up with. They seem to go very well together.

One slight problem, though. I knew this was bothering me for some reason, it's a SoB rank.

The title is definitly claimed, by a whole order, not just a rank, as was pointed out here:

Neat idea and the paintjob looks great too.A word of caution though,the hospital part lorewise has been grabbed by the sisters and i think the oder is called hospitalers too.Not to dissuade you just saying.

However, there are many themes that overlap between factions in 40k, such as knights for both Black Templars and Dark Angels. Given that what is proposed is a SM chapter called "Maltese Falcons" and that there is more to them than being male SoB hospitallers, it should not be much of an issue.

Archived