The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

Hah! I thought some of you might get a giggle out of this. The very first Templar I ever painted. One of our local GW stores (now closed) was asking people to paint a figure to showcase a codex and I looked at what was left and said, "Eh, he looks interesting, let's see what I can do." I just fell in love with the figure I think I'll just have to make a plastic version of him someday so that I can revisit how cool he looks.

Anyway, the pics

gallery_15184_7227_744.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_18128.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_7964.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_19483.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_7353.jpg

As I was commenting in Glaeken's thread, from what I remember, I started with either Snakebite Leather or Beastial Brown and worked my way up to a lighter shoulder color through Bleached Bone and then added Skull White after that. It's a different look, but not too bad looking. I do think there was something like close to ten layers on each pad, so not really something you'd want to do for an entire army.

It's probably a good thing I didn't find these pics when I first started out. I'd still be painting my first crusader squad. :P

And for those that remember him before his "car" movie, Castellan Dirtius Harrald, M2

gallery_15184_7227_13711.jpg

Cheers,

Hehe, did he fire 5 shots, or 60 shots? (How many shots does that awesome extended mag hold?)

I'm using humour to disguise my distress at the fact that your first ever Templar still looks better than all mine put together :P seriously impressive stuff.

I have always loved the WFB Flagellant models. They are just full of detail and character, but never could figure out how to fit them into an army. Their ZEAL is plainly obvious, but they needed something. Then the other day I saw someone's conversion of a flagellant and they had added an extended chainsword.

Well, the heavens opened up, angels began to sing and I got pretty jazzed.

So these guys are "counts as" neophytes, which aren't a stand alone unit, so I have pointed them for my vow as Scouts. In game, they will represent neophytes with a choppy crusader squad...and thus are born, "The Sons of ZEAL".

They should be fun to paint. At some point I think I'd like to get another box and have a squad of 20 of these guys (hence the 10 + 1) this round driven by a priest (the Jacobus? model). Unbound, here I come!

Pics

gallery_15184_7227_469664.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_1012007.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_176931.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_736962.jpg

The middle guy in the last photo is "blinded" <cue Blind Faith> so I modeled his head such that he's turned from the direction he is moving so he can listen better. I kind of liked how that turned out. The shields will have some Templary stuff on them.

And now I need to get my MotF together...

Cheers,

Your first BT is awesome, love the PW he has, and the Sons of Zeal are a very nice touch. The chain sword/staff, is it just the body of a chain sword with a banner pole or is it a 3rd party buy?

Your first BT is awesome, love the PW he has, and the Sons of Zeal are a very nice touch. The chain sword/staff, is it just the body of a chain sword with a banner pole or is it a 3rd party buy?

It's just a chainsword with the handle cut off attached to the end of paired arms wielding flails. Really simple. I think next batch I do, I'll play around with the arms a little more so that I have some different angles on the chopping.

Quick update:

I finally was able to finish the construction on my MotF. I wanted him to have a conversion beam because reasons. I was also striving for some asymmetry in his overall physique as I began thinking of his "appendages" as more war gear than body parts.

"So, need arms? No problem, here's a couple. Need a big ol' honkin' gun? We got you covered, let me move that wimpy arm out of there and try this on. Oh, you need to chop down trees and forcefully enter starships? Piece of cake. Let's strap this puppy on there and "Bob's yer uncle!""

So, here's my one armed, big ol' honkin' gun equipped Master of the Forge. I know, the pictures are "le pew". I've primered him with auto red primer and my camera may be able to do a better job with some better contrasts.

I present to you, Master of the Forge Tarosian

gallery_15184_7227_492186.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_257799.jpg

ONWARDS!

VOW 5 UPDATE:

I've finished painting MotF Tarosian and overall, I'm fairly happy with how he turned out. I think the asymmetry I was going for worked and the color palette comes together well. Since I'll only be doing one of these, I tried to add some little details to help him stand out. He's taller than a normal trooper and his physique isn't perfect, but I think the overall effect works.

Your thoughts?

gallery_15184_7227_1046758.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_539390.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_546317.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_680699.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_399102.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_433000.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_354282.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_283094.jpg

I'll finish his base when I do the others. Now I just have a chaplain and the "Sons of ZEAL" remaining.

ONWARDS BROTHERS!

I was torn about the base as well, but I don't think the MotF can be put in TDA, but I'll have to check that. If I'm wrong, that's easy enough to fix at this stage.

Regarding the eye...fair point. It looks more prevalent in the pics because you are closer. On the table top, it just looks like a slight glow. It's how I have done all my Templars, but I do see your point.

Thanx for the feedback. :)

He is primarily designed for use in my Siege list, but I do think I'm going to roll him out in my first 7th game just to shake things up.

Rule of cool. He looks awesome.

As for the base, could he possible be stood atop a piece of rock/wreckage that extends just far enough off the base itself to allow him to pose comfortably? Would make him stand out even more, I suppose. Not that I feel he needs it really, but just a possible solution to your pondering ;)

He looks great. At first the purple eyeshadow and nipple ring made me concerned that a certain Chaos power was trying to infiltrate your Crusade but then I realized that as a MoTF he's obviously a fan of techno music. Clearly when he's marching to battle he's got synth music playing in his helmet and nothing compliments a good razing of heretic strongholds like a nice rave where you don't need glowsticks because you've got conversion beams and plasma coils contributing to the ambiance of the flickering light of the cleansing promethium flames that have brought righteous judgement to the Emperor's foes. Yup, this MoTF likes to party.

The idea of hundreds of techmarines meeting in some abandoned manufactorum, blaring techno over their personal vox nets while pogo-ing in sync to the flashing lights from their GoPro's...consider mind blown.

The nipple ring thing...I didn't recognize it for what it was at the time and when I got to painting, I thought...eh...no one will notice. :P

Very nice, vibrant red!

It could be my eyes playing tricks, but is he missing a shoulder pad? EDIT: never mind, I just worked out out. That's the trouble with doing this at 3:30am (goooo insomnia!).

Oh, the script on the red is excellent too. How did you get such excellent coverage in such a fine piece of detail?

I have the same torso but I shaved off the nipple ring with my sword of exact 0. I think the one that has that torso also has the pointy powerfist and power sword arm from the Chaos sprue. I have like a half dozen that don't have the requisite 37 pieces of flair zeal to be used as BT models. One day I want to paint them all up as other IF successors.

Archived