The Donian Crusade

Very nice conversions ... I have also started using the running legs for crusader squads.. Looks much better!

I have used the FW icons already many times, I have ordered them 3 times.. About 25% are destroyed and not usable but still they are very nice!

You just have to be very carefull in trimming them and cutting and use about half the strength you use on the GW plastic!

All FW models I have got till now are really the same resin and easy to cut and convert.. I will almost admit I prefer it to GW plastic

I forgot to mention that I sent away a few models to an AMAZING sculptor overseas from CoolMiniOrNot; He should be receiving them this coming week and will start sending me WIP shots, so I'll post them here as I get them.

This is my horribly quick mockup of what will be happening to the model:

http://i.imgur.com/rdPQv.png

He'll also get an epic cape :rolleyes:

This same sculptor will hopefully do a huge pile of custom bases that I have to photoshop a design for.

I've also just updated the OP with some fluff that has been written based on Tolek's work he did for me (<3!). Hopefully it explains the creative changes to the original Donian Crusade whilst remaining true for most aspects. Please tell me what you think, good or bad and if bad how can I improve it?

Very nice fluff write up Dirt! I love the changes you made, they work very well for your crusade! Nice work!

Thanks! I wouldn't have been able to write a single word without the solid foundation your original piece provided :)

Very cool Brother Dirt! I will have to put some thought into my crusade heraldry and have you put one together for me. I'm impressed with your devotion and expenditure on your own crusade! It's looking very nice indeed!

No worries! Gimme a yell whenever you have an idea and I'll do my best.

I apologize for the very slow update process, I've just started a new career so I've got about an hour a week spare currently and I spend it with my significant other :) In a few weeks once settled I should have a lot of updates, like the Rhinos should be completed, should be preparing some terminators, and painting.

Keen to see your chaplin. Where does he get his Crux Terminatus then?

For my crusade, I have yet to make a topic (but I will try).

Here are my ideas, although I cant decide if b/w or the red version is better:

med_gallery_11456_6040_45150.jpg

med_gallery_11456_6040_50847.jpg

I lke the black verison better for itself, but the red version might look better on the b/w Templar models. :)

One thing to consider is where will you paint it? If you paint it on the power armor, say the greaves where it is usually, the background will be black so the black quarters will have no definition. Or it will require you to add a line or something around your badge to create the definition (maybe red, silver or gold?), which might be difficult (it's small) or look too crowded. I think that's why most badges are red and white, the templar secondary colors which both are bright enough to stand out on the black armor.

One thing to consider is where will you paint it? If you paint it on the power armor, say the greaves where it is usually, the background will be black so the black quarters will have no definition. Or it will require you to add a line or something around your badge to create the definition (maybe red, silver or gold?), which might be difficult (it's small) or look too crowded. I think that's why most badges are red and white, the templar secondary colors which both are bright enough to stand out on the black armor.

Indeed, thanks. But I wanted to paint it on shields (all kind), like the one of the terminators.

I see... I'll still say that I prefer the red/white background. As you said, it will stand out more from the black armor.

As you prefer the black/white one, maybe you can use it on certain models who will be more colorful already? Like HQs and elites, as well as certain banners if you use them. You can make up a bit of fluff regarding the colors, something along the line of: "white/red is for initiates, representing the purity they strive to maintain and the blood (their own and their ennemies) that they shed for the crusade, while the black is reserved for individuals who have demarkated themselves and been elevated to the rank of sword brethren (or above), symbolising that their exploits bring the blessing of the Emperor upon the crusade." I use a similar color system for personal heraldry.

Very impressive work so far Brother and if you don't mind, I do think I'll be adding a few two handed chainswords to my crusader squads. That, sir, is an excellent looking conversion.

As part of the ongoing Community Crusade work, I did some conceptualization work for a crusade badge (the Albigensian Crusade). However, I acknowledge your superior artistic abilities and wonder if you would grace our crusade?

gallery_15184_7227_11490.jpg

Given the difference in shield type (concept work vs. your style, which I prefer), it seems that change is in order. The dominant piece that commenters liked was the red hour glass, per v3b. However, that seems a bit plain to me and not so templar-y.

I don't want to make this "your" design problem, just curious what you might do with the basic components. I would appreciate any insights you might have.

Cheers,

Very impressive work so far Brother and if you don't mind, I do think I'll be adding a few two handed chainswords to my crusader squads. That, sir, is an excellent looking conversion.

As part of the ongoing Community Crusade work, I did some conceptualization work for a crusade badge (the Albigensian Crusade). However, I acknowledge your superior artistic abilities and wonder if you would grace our crusade?

gallery_15184_7227_11490.jpg

Given the difference in shield type (concept work vs. your style, which I prefer), it seems that change is in order. The dominant piece that commenters liked was the red hour glass, per v3b. However, that seems a bit plain to me and not so templar-y.

I don't want to make this "your" design problem, just curious what you might do with the basic components. I would appreciate any insights you might have.

Cheers,

http://i.imgur.com/MAfuw.png

How's that?

• 2 weeks later...

So now that 6th ed is out, I've had a read through... this army list is not going to work at all! 6th ed has ruined Rhino tanks for us!!! So now I have to completely re-do the army list...

I'm gonna have a look into bikes instead...

Oh, and I'm also working on re-writing the codex with all the changes listed in the rulebook and FAQ to make sense of it easier.

Just wanted to show this off too:

It's a comissioned chaplain from an amazing sculptor from coolminiornot, atgill;

The cloak is still being worked on and there's going to be a maltese cross where the crux terminatus is on his belt... but other then that this is SO EPIC!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3562/wip01chaplain.jpg

@DD: I somehow missed your crusade badge when it was first posted, but thank you very, very much. I like it a lot.

Cheers,

I really love the uniformity of your models. Scouring sites for the proper bits takes all my patience already -- I can't imagine trying to get that many bits together!

~K

Is that freaking sheet metal used as a base for a cloak?! ;) Oh please please please, if it is, post a tutorial- that is inspired! That chaplain looks 100% more boss with the knight armored feet.

I believe it's aluminium sheeting, I think that's what the guy who did it called it.

Archived