Imperial Fist painting question

Brother Mord

To any IF players out there

I have been painting a small force of Imperial Fists using the following methods for the yellow with the old GW paints:

Primer black

First layer the Yellow foundation paint (Iyridian yellow or something like that, cant remember the exact name)

Hit the gryphone sepia wash in the crevices

then light coat of Golden Yellow to give it the proper Yellow color I desire.

This worked well for a basic table top color scheme

gallery_36921_2445_137403.jpg

I dont get to paint very much and my out put is slow

I have a decent stock of old paint left and have not even looked at GW's new paint range

What would you guys who are more in the know suggest for me to purchase (from the new paint range) when my stocks run out and I am forced to paint with the new paints, to obtain a similar result from my above paint scheme? Looking to keep it simple.

My advice is buy up all the Golden Yellow you can - Yriel Yellow IS NOT the same shade as GW Golden Yellow, P3 Heartfire, or VGC Gold Yellow. You may have to mix paints if you can't grab it.

As for the others, Sunburst yellow is the same across the board and Averland sunset is Ianden Darksun equivalent.

That's about it for my paints advice - but for your Marines....?

That is some damn fine painting you have there! Keep at it!

MR.

thanks for the reply

Has any one tried the army painter Desert Yellow color?

I am thinking of using the spray can base coat of that for my vehicles and then hitting it with a coat of golden yellow on top. It looks like it might be the same (or close) color as the old GW foundation Ilydian darksun Yellow. It would save me a lot of time if I could use that. Hard to tell exact color from the website though.

You are welcome brother.

I think there is an Imperial Fist in Daemonic Yellow on one of thier pages, using the soft tone, but I haven't used it or the desert yellow...sorry.

I can tell you that army painter takes layers well though, but watch the overspray - that stuff gets everywhere!

MR.

Yea,

Saw the demonic yellow post on their website on how to do an imperial Fist. They used the quick shade stuff on it which toned down the yellow a lot.

I tried using their demonic yellow spray as a primer and then using the golden yellow on a rhino to see what kind of results I got. It was terrible. The demonic yellow is so bright that when i hit it with the golden yellow it had a sort of greenish tint to it. I had to go back over with the foundation yellow and then golden yellow to get the shade I had with the rest of my army. I like the quick shade stuff for my tyrannids but I paint my IF marines a little differently and don't want to quick shade them.

The Army Painter desert yellow is darker and looks closer to the GW foundation yellow ( at least on their website) so I was hoping that would be a good primer/base for vehicles that I could hit with golden yellow and keep a similar appearance to my marines. But a $15 a can I am a little hesitant to order a can just to experiment. Was hoping someone had already used it and could give me a good evaluation.

Archived