Strike Force Legacy - A Genesis Chapter Project Log

Wow, I'm a little shocked by such a positive response! :)

Did you really believe that you'd get negative comments with your modeling skills and all? ;) Seriously, I'm surprised that you're surprised!

@ Ludo: Thanks, man. My bits box isn't that big quite honestly. I just coax my girlfriend into thinking that she'll be getting her shoes or makeup the following week, and then I place large bits orders on ebay.

At least I won't have to do that with my girlfriend, as she also collects Warhammer 40k, so she understands that I have to spend money to get my fresh dose of plastic/resin crack :)

By the way, I've seen some incredible offers on Ebay :) If you want some links, I'll PM them to you.

Paaaaaaint. Paaaaaaint.

Paaaaaaint.

:P

:lol:

What he said.

Cheers,

Ludovic

That's some good progress for a weekends work. I don't think the lack of mark VII helms matters that's much as you have not overused any single mark helm. Also as a second founding chapter they would have lots of the older armour marks.

As for the missile guy, how about repositioning a leg so it's stepping on something like he is bracing himself to fire.

Can't wait to see some paint on these guys.

Thanks for the replies gents.

@ Heathens: Oh there's some paint below. Just probably not what you were looking for. You've been warned...

@ Ludo: Yeah feel free to drop some deals in my PM box, dude. You're a lucky chap, my girl has no interest in 40k - though she did enjoy painting an AoBR Marine once.

Thanks Pulse!

@ Demon: Yeah that was my thinking too, so I can kinda get away with it more. I've been looking for some suitable legs for the missile launcher dude, but nothing yet. Probably just gonna convert some.

Thank you ninjasuperspy!

@ sploh147: Those legs are a combination of the right leg from these legs (Death Company kit), and the left leg of this pair (SM Command sprue). Hope that helps.

Much appreciated Midnight Runner. Just what I was aiming for. I can't wait to weather the crap outta Caracalla and cover him in blood from head to toe. ^_^

Hah, I like that Olisredan. Thanks for your interest.

++++

Okay, 'ere we go. When I got off work Friday, I raced home to find these sitting in the mailbox:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/brushes_zps5242f0de.jpg

I was visibly excited and restrained myself from canceling all contact with the outside world for the rest of the night. So this morning when I got up I threw together the small test piece below to gauge what the brushes were like. Sadly, before a drop of paint even touched him, the figure was basically ruined. I wanted to take some short cuts to get some red on these fellas, but Army Painter Dragon Red primer isn't the way to go. At least not for me. I've tried everything, guys. I first sprayed the model from about 12 inches in small, thin passes. That yielded the results seen below. After a couple hours, I went back and primed another model from about 9 inches or so. Same deal. It could be the can, it could be me. I'm not sure, but the fuzzy surface isn't what I was looking for. :cuss

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/spray_zpse0a25142.jpg

The uneven coverage is my doing, I stopped once I noticed something was wrong. It was a brand new can so it's definitely not a clogged nozzle or the like. And I shook the can for about 5 minutes before I started. I'm going to be doing some more research on different methods of painting red power armor, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I have a few options. I could try a different brand or even color. GW's Chaos Black gives a nice, almost satin finish to the primered surface. I might go to the extreme and cave, and purchase an airbrush to do my undercoating and basecoating.

What does this mean? Painting will be delayed, though I'll be able to build some more of SFL while I work out this kink. I was really looking forward to showing you some painting progress, but I just wanted to let everyone following know my current status. If you've got any red recipes, please feel free to share. I'm looking for a brighter red, but nothing on the orangey side that is common with the Blood Angels.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend. :D

Hey Darth, I had exactly the same problem with Army Painter, had to remake a lot of models from scratch due to it (I've never had satisfactory results using paint stripper).

The Winsor and Newton series 7s are lovely brushes, I personally use the now very old games workshop master series they did about 7 years ago, which were just re branded series 7s.

Looking forward to seeing progress with these :cuss

And I shook the can for about 5 minutes before I started.

I use the Army Painter sprays quite a bit, typically with very good results, but I never shake the can nearly this much. I just kind of swirl it around a few times. As long as it's not too humid outside I always get good, smooth results. That said, I haven't used the red spray, but I've had good results doing this with black, white, bone, yellow, and blue.

edit - Very nice models, by the way, I hope your painting goes more smoothly from here on!

@ Ludo: Yeah feel free to drop some deals in my PM box, dude. You're a lucky chap, my girl has no interest in 40k - though she did enjoy painting an AoBR Marine once.

PM'd ;) And indeed I am :P I'd hate to have to find an excuse to justify spending over £100 on some little bits of resin ;)

For the primer, I've discovered that it's combination of weather, air humidity and proximity that makes your day or ruins it. Try spraying on a dry day and from whatever the recommended distance is and you may just get a better result. I've never used any spray paint that wasn't black, so I have no experience with the one you're using (I just thought I'd add that).

Anyway, best of luck to you mate and have a nice Sunday!

Ludovic

I gotta say I haven't had fab results with the red Army Painter spray, either. Came out a bit thicker than necessary for me. Can't really help though, sorry. :devil:

Never used the spray sorry so can't help there but the kit bashing and poses are awesome.

Loving all the mix of armour marks too makes them all look like timeless veterans as space marines should.

Cheers

James

Okay, this will be short and sweet cuz I've gotta run.

++++

Thanks, Sixestohit! Your Blood Angels are inspiring. A standard that I can only hope of getting anywhere near with these guys.

@ Blind, icarnus, Ludo, and Olisredan: Your comments are very appreciated. I've spent some time reading about Army Painter and it seems to be a split on their primers. Some have luck with them and some don't. I'm not really sure that shaking the rattle can too much is a bad thing. I shook until it sounded right, as I do with any aerosols. Weather was very moderate when I did try it, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. Just seems like Army Painter is a little inconsistent as evidenced online. For the price tag I'm not all that happy with my experience.

Thank you KBA. I am just a meagre apprentice in kit bashing compared to you!

Thanks for having a look, JamesG89. I'm glad you can recognize the individuality that I was aiming for.

++++

And I couldn't wait any longer... I'd rather have shown a 100% assembled version today, but I'm pretty happy in the direction this guy's headed. I have tons of background planned in the future about the Chap, but I'll sum him up quickly. There's nothing more that he'd like to do then bludgeon you to death with his favorite combo - a Crozius and gladius. In game terms he will count-as Cassius. I've got a few things in mind that I'll be adding soon, though any suggestions would be great. I present Reclusiarch Marchosian. Enjoy!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/chapwip1_zps2f6dbc72.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a bigger, better update for you guys soon. Till then... let me hear your thoughts on the (admittedly wip) leader of Strike Force Legacy! :)

Parts list, please? That's... ohgad. Awesome.

Legs: MkIII Armour Set from Forge World.

Chest & shoulder pads: Sevrin Loth and Honour Guard set from Forge World.

Head: Asterion Moloc and Ivanus Enkomi (Minotaurs) set from FW.

Crozius head: Space Marine Command Squad box Banner top from GW.

Sword: Could be the one from Masters of the Chapter set (now Finecast) from GW.

Cape: No idea.

Backpack: Looks like a stock MKV one from FW.

Candles: No idea. Maybe some kind of conversion pack for Mordheim or Vampire Counts from GW?

Arms: Stock but repositioned (I think) with a MKIII arm plate added.

Right hand: Looks like one from the Masters of the Chapter set too (from when they were metal), but I'm not sure.

And yes, I like guessing games :lol:

Ludovic

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad you guys think he's cool. My Vallejo Liquid Gold arrived, now it's just a matter of resolving the undercoating problem.

Here's a parts list:

• Head, backpack/cloak: FW's Enkomi and Moloc kit
  • Shoulder pads & torso: FW's Sevrin Loth and Honor Guard kit
  • Legs & vambraces: FW's Mk. III Iron Armor set
  • Crozius head: SM Command Squad banner top
  • Crozius shaft & right hand: Squad Leader from the Legion of the Damned boxed set
  • Gladius & candles: Helbrecht

I know his left arm is from the Devastator box but I don't remember where the right one is from. As you can see, Marchosian isn't the most economical build. :sweat:

I'm not sold on the legs or even the torso. The Mk. III leg armor does give off a brutish appearance (which I really want here), but I feel like he looks a bit squatish in combination with the torso I've used. Am I being too analytical? I'd love to hear any suggestions on how to make him better! :ermm:

Off the top of my head, the only other set of legs that I would think might make a suitable replacement, given the criteria, might be Mark V legs. Maybe.

And as for economical builds? Pshaw. Kitbashers delight in using many differing bitz. I do. :sweat:

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad you guys think he's cool. My Vallejo Liquid Gold arrived, now it's just a matter of resolving the undercoating problem.

Here's a parts list:

• Head, backpack/cloak: FW's Enkomi and Moloc kit
  • Shoulder pads & torso: FW's Sevrin Loth and Honor Guard kit
  • Legs & vambraces: FW's Mk. III Iron Armor set
  • Crozius head: SM Command Squad banner top
  • Crozius shaft & right hand: Squad Leader from the Legion of the Damned boxed set
  • Gladius & candles: Helbrecht

I know his left arm is from the Devastator box but I don't remember where the right one is from. As you can see, Marchosian isn't the most economical build. :P

I'm not sold on the legs or even the torso. The Mk. III leg armor does give off a brutish appearance (which I really want here), but I feel like he looks a bit squatish in combination with the torso I've used. Am I being too analytical? I'd love to hear any suggestions on how to make him better! :D

I'd say keep the MkIII legs. You could try the Enkomi ones, but really, what you have going on with the pose rocks.

Loving the Chaplain, I think the lesg work but the mkV sounds interesting as well. Have you thought about maybe using the vent things from the Dark Vengeance Chaplain? The things with the smoke coming from them in place of the candles? Just a suggestion. Im loving all the little tweaks youre adding to your force.

Ps I think you would be able to knock a fantastic Tolemion model up. Even just as a stand alone model. :P

Archived