Merc's madness

xmercx

what is your theme? I am picking up somewhat of an egyptian style with the anubis heads and the death masks.

yes, doing an Egyptian theme. I like the art style and the imagery. Was going to combine that with the Angels Encarmine color scheme at least for my DC and SG models. At this point I know I will be doing the tanks in mostly white as well. Haven't gotten much past that. Still haven't figured out a chapter badge yet but I'm leaning toward something like a blood drop inside a sun.

I really like the use of those Blood Angel heads, I might steal the idea ;)

by all means, I saw it on here when I was looking for ideas so I can't claim to be the first to do it. I pretty much just clipped off the crests and then filed the tops of the heads down so they where smooth. You do end up with a little bit of hair on the back of the head, I left it, but it would be easy enough to clean up and green stuff smooth if you didn't want it there.

The "egyptian heads" are awesome! How many tomb....erm I mean where did you get them? I am also glad to see I am not the only person in the world that uses toothbrushes in their modeling endeavors. As for the white, I tend to put multiple thin layers on. I've heard using a airbrush works wonderfully as well.

The "egyptian heads" are awesome! How many tomb....erm I mean where did you get them? I am also glad to see I am not the only person in the world that uses toothbrushes in their modeling endeavors. As for the white, I tend to put multiple thin layers on. I've heard using a airbrush works wonderfully as well.

the heads are from http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=103, they are probably touch smaller then i would have liked but they will work. I have always found toothbrushes helpful for many things in modeling so my old one tend to end up in my brush pile (very useful for cleaning up after filing and sanding). I have been doing thin coats for the white, still playing with how many coats, been mainly using a wet pallet as I don't have an air brush.

My vote is for the jackal head. Looks the most appropriate.

I like the Anubis heads too (that why I got a bunch of them). The only issue I have at this point is that I'm using them on my SG and if I want them to count as death masks then using one on Astorath could make things confusing if I ran an army with both in it. Not sure how often that would actually happen but it is something I am keeping in the back of my head as I plan the model out.

Speaking of which, I didn't get too much time in last night but I did try some other head options out:

gallery_33706_7498_303593.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_4959.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_243229.jpg

Yeah, if they're counts as death masks you'd want to avoid confusion. Did you get any of the sobek or apophis heads, perchance? Those would be a good change while still keeping the theme. Don't care for any of the three new ones after seeing the egyptian-themed ones.

Yeah, if they're counts as death masks you'd want to avoid confusion. Did you get any of the sobek or apophis heads, perchance? Those would be a good change while still keeping the theme. Don't care for any of the three new ones after seeing the egyptian-themed ones.

I got a few of the apophis heads, which are, imo, extremely small for a space marine:

gallery_33706_7498_810056.jpg

right now I'm leaning toward either the anubis mask or the scorpion helm that I had on at first. may end up having to put him on the back burner for a bit and work on some more SG while I decide.

update time:

finished sorting out parts for the rest of the first of the sang guard squads

gallery_33706_7498_797580.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_161068.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_10736.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_344349.jpg

and a PiP for the next member of the squad (working on this one at a time)

gallery_33706_7498_411732.jpg

moving a long slowly. at this rate ill finish this first squad maybe by the end of October. I did take about an hour the other night though and dig out all the bits for my baal so may start work on that soon just to break up the painting of troops.

• 2 weeks later...

still slow going. 3rd Sang Guard is mostly painted, still need to finish his base and figure out his power weapon blade

gallery_33706_7498_340647.jpg

I started working on some ideas for how to paint the rest of the army. It is still a ways off before I get to painting any rank and file stuff but I will probably be doing some tanks and a storm raven before too long so I wanted to figure out the base colors to work with.

so far I have been thinking one of three ideas. One would be to just paint everything white and then mark out squads with different color helms. Second option would be to do something within the normal BA color range (i.e. red/orange/yellow). Third option would be to do something well outside either of the other two ideas. What I came up with:

gallery_33706_7498_122806.jpg

gallery_33706_7498_382048.jpg

(little better shot of the blue)

gallery_33706_7498_456113.jpg

thoughts? ideas? opinions?

I have one vote for the orange already though I'm still kind of mix as to how I want to go.

• 1 month later...

Awesome looking army you have on the go here, I really like what you've done with the Sang Guard helms and the Anubis helms :D

As for the White you could try my 3 coat method ;) which comes out pretty smooth and is a damn sight quicker than successive layering.

It's as simple as - Prime White, wash entire model with Black wash (you can mix some Blue wash in to soften the shadows), layer Ceramite White (thinned 50/50) leaving Black wash in the recesses, layer Skull White/White Scar (this layer is to smooth out the previous layer) - Job done :) It wouldn't look different to what you currently have, just smoother.

Awesome looking army you have on the go here, I really like what you've done with the Sang Guard helms and the Anubis helms :blink:

As for the White you could try my 3 coat method ;) which comes out pretty smooth and is a damn sight quicker than successive layering.

It's as simple as - Prime White, wash entire model with Black wash (you can mix some Blue wash in to soften the shadows), layer Ceramite White (thinned 50/50) leaving Black wash in the recesses, layer Skull White/White Scar (this layer is to smooth out the previous layer) - Job done :) It wouldn't look different to what you currently have, just smoother.

Thanks. I have always kind of been one of those "leave no model unconverted" types. In the past i just stuck with the bits from my GW kits but I am finding that I can make my models look more the way i want if I'm willing to think outside the box.

As for the painting, this is sort of what I have been trying doing for the white. Its a white under coat of vallejo foundation white, coat of nuln oil, then come back with white (either ceramite white or vallejo white). Think the real issue with the smoothness is me trying to get use to painting using a wet palette. Trying to break about 20 years of painting right out of the paint pot is slow going. Still working on getting the right amount of water on the palette so the paint is thinned out without breaking the suspension which leads to it being chalky. When I mess up I end up having to do extra layers as the paint is too thin (which I don't always notice right away). Its a learning curve, but considering I use to pretty much just drybrush everything, I think I'm making progress :-)

if the jackel heads are death masks then the scorpion helm would be best with that title of the scorpion king.

He has been sitting on my painting table with the scorpion helm on for a while now. Just waiting his turn in the paint queue now.