The Apocalypse Crusade

tvih

Reinforcements! The Stormraven, Manticore, Whirlwind, DW Command Squad and Terminator Assault Squad finally arrived. I reckon I should assemble and basecoat the Stormraven before Saturday, as there'd be an Apoc event I'm hoping to participate in and there's a requirement to have at least a basecoat on all models. Also need to finish the 5 Sword Brethren by then, right now two are almost finished and the third is in progress. The Manticore would be great for Apoc too, but given I'm overworked with the LPC Vow as it is, I'll have to see if I can get it at least basecoated by then. Same problem with the Whirlwind - Apoc is the one decent use for it in the sense that you don't have to worry about using up a heavy slot for it.

Couldn't resist quickly assembling a TDA Commander. Fluff-wise I don't yet know if he'll be a separate entity, or just Grimgard in TDA. This likely won't be his tabletop configuration in any case, as 5++ is not enough and 4++ would be too expensive, so the LC will likely make way for a SS once I get some FW ones. Anyway, here's the pic:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/terminator-commander-wip1.jpg

He looks pretty badass out of the box. And pretty angry too, due to having to suffer the unclean markings of a lesser chapter for the time being. Mostly just need to remove the icon from the LC, from the cloak and from the upper part of the tabard. The sheathed mini-swords, swords hanging from the pauldron and sword in the thunder hammer are fine in my books what with the sword brethren theme and all. Gonna add some purity seals and other stuff later.

Of note about the DW kit is that it's a bit annoying how the tabard torsos seem to have been designed to only fit with a specific pair of legs! If you don't use that intended pair-up, you'll have to do some cutting, either to the tabard or the legs, otherwise it won't fit. As such i'm not sure what I'm gonna do, as I was intending to use regular termie legs and maybe find a DA player to sell the DA legs and non-tabard torsos + some of the other unnecessary bits. Same problem abounds with the mace thingies, as the arms they're meant to attach to would also be needed for the storm bolters when using the tabard squad as a command squad. Hmm. I suppose the alternative would be to use the arms from the separate tactical terminator kit I have, and use them as LC termies or something? Who knows!

In any case, can't argue with the level of detail in this kit! He probably won't get painted just yet, gonna wait and see if we get an ETL this year. Already unnecessarily vowed so many HQs to the LPC that gotta save some "easy" points for the ETL too, if there is one.

Actually I like him more like that visually than I will even with a FW Storm Shield (the regular ones are a bit puny for Terminator ICs). The LC is in a nice angle for his overall pose. But as stated like that he's not that viable for gameplay due to crappy 5++ or expensive 4++. Ah well, since he'll be magnetized eventually anyway he can always have the LC when on the shelf, at last :tongue.: In any case, Grimgard in power armor looks a bit puny next to him.

I'd post pics of the two semi-finished Sword Brethren, but they're unhelmeted and to date I still haven't gotten around to trying to paint bare heads!

Today the Twilight Crusade took part in a massive battle against Xenos, Traitors and Daemons as part of the worldwide "Big Game" event.

Between 9 players we had a 21 000 points per side match. The match was agreed upon beforehand to last 4 turns.

On our side we had:
- Templars + IG (me!)
- Ultramarines
- Ultramarines + GK
- IG
- Blood Angels

Against us were arrayed:
- Daemons
- Chaos Marines + Necrons
- Eldar
- Orks

My list consisted of:
- HQ: TDA Marshal (TH+LC+Mantle), TDA Chaplain (TH+Mantle), Chaplain (PP+AA+Honors), EC+AAC, Lord Commissar (PFist)
- Elite: 10 Sword Brethren (2LC+Honors, PSword, 8xBP+CCW, Frags), Assault Terminators (4 TH+SS & 2 2LC),Terminators (2xCML+Hunters), Venerable Dreadnought (TLLC+ML, Hunters)
- Troops: Crusader Squad (HBolter, PlasG, 8x Bolter), Veteran Squad (HBolter, Flamer)
- Fast: 2x LS Typhoon, 2x Stormtalon (Typhoon), Vendetta
- Heavy: 2x LRC (Blessed Hull, Dozer Blade), 2x Predator (Tri-Las, PotMS), Vindicator (PotMS), Manticore

Originally I was also supposed to have a 5-man Assault Marine team, but silly me, I forgot to bring it, damn it! As I also forgot to bring my spare HQs I had to loan the power armored Chaplain from the IG player to replace the missing points. Overall my list was about 3750 points. Could've brought a lot more, but the "forces of darkness" had to get creative to meet the points requirement as it was, so I suppose it's just as well that I didn't. Would've brought the Stormraven though, but didn't have time to assemble it. Barely had time to assemble the second LRC and Manticore, as it was.

The deployment was a sight to behold. Even with stuff in the reserve, the forces of darkness could barely fit within their 12" deployment area. Not that we had much space to spare either. I left the Typhoons in reserve, and in fact the Veteran Squad with the Lord Commissar accidentally ended up reserves as well as I had misplaced them and thus forgot to deploy them (which was just as well due to the lack of space).

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/thebiggame-depo.jpg

Turn 1:
Darkness went first. Mostly just running towards us. We did take some casualties. One LR was wrecked (we had in total 6 LRs of various configs), and so forth. It was quite a tide heading for us, though! An ork boyz mob appeared near my Aegis because of some sort of teleport thingie (by a Weirdboy a think).

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/thebiggame-turn1.5.jpg

We retaliated as best we could. The enemy lost a 800-1000 points Nob biker squad, in part thanks to my Manticore that blew three of them out of existence. Overall out of I think 12 bikes 3 survived, but ran off the table. They also lost their only LR, two Eldar transport skimmers and some other stuff. My sword brethren with attached EC and Chaplain were supposed to charge the Boyz, but of course I rolled snake eyes when I would've needed 3". I kid you not, I roll 2" charge distances for at least 1/3 of my charges (when you include difficult terrain charges with 3 dices, like this once was). Most of the rest are 3-4"... My terminators killed the second Eldar skimmer in a charge.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/thebiggame-turn2s.jpg

Turn 2:
We had a Master of the Fleet on our IG army, but the player had accidentally not deployed him. As such the enemy got their entire air force on the table at once - 3 Heldrakes, Doomscythe, Nightscythe, Blitza-Bommer, Dakka-jet and Burna-bommer. Doomscythe took a shaken result from the IG player's Aegis, I failed to damage a Heldrake (damned invul saves). I had foolishly disembarked my Crusader squad out of their Rhino in turn 1, so now they all got baleflamered. Typical. SB squad also took heavy losses since they weren't safe from shooting, and 5 died to a second baleflamer. Then the chaplain took the remaining 5 saves and managed them all. Artificer armor points well spent! My Manticore died to the Fire Dragons that had came from the skimmers, as did a UM Predator.

The ork boyz charged some Ultramarines and IG that were next to my brethren, and my brethren got charged by Eldar... uh. Not sure what the squad was. CC squad with rending, or something. And also by two Beasts of Nurgle. My terminators got charged by something like 20 cultists and 5 or 6 Possessed. My Dread was charged by fire dragons (in retrospect this shouldn't have happened, as the skimmers weren't assault vehicles and also the dragons shot the Manticore and as such shouldn't have been able to assault the dread even if they had come from an assault vehicle). My dread took two melta bomb penetrations but survived. Didn't kill any of them though. Funnily enough we had a time limit of 1 hour per team turn in place, and we didn't have time to do the attacks in the other combats.

On our turn we took bloody vengeance on their air forces. I got all of my reserves on the table. My Vendetta took one hull point of the Heldrake that had attacked my SB. Another point was taken by a GK Stormraven. Then it was finished off by my Typhoons! My Stormtalon killed an Ork flyer, while another I think glanced the Nightscythe. In the end, only two Ork planes survived our wrath, so all the Heldrakes and Necron pastries were gone. Good times.

My SB killed the Eldar squad, and EC killed one of them in a challenge. I think I lost two Brethren. As the enemy lost the combat, one of the Beasts died to Instability. In my other combat my Terminators faced the Chaos Marines. My TDA Chaplain whacked 2 possessed, the others were killed by the regular termies. I also killed some cultists, and my TDA Marshal whacked their Champion in a challenge (if you can call it that :tongue.:). My dread blew up without killing anything again. Tactical termies charged Ork Stormboyz, dunno how many they killed as the BA player did the rolls, with me being busy with the terminator fight.

Turn 3:
I think my Vindicator died this round. No other losses to speak of from shooting for my forces, as my vehicles were mostly left alone. Eldar seer council charged and killed my LRC with glances, though. My brethren got assaulted by some flamers. I killed one, lost no one. EC was in a challenge with some sort of upgraded flamer. Terminators were assaulted by 6 Killa Kans. They killed more cultists, but also lost a few. TDA Marshal was challenged by Chaos Lord. Whacked him for two wounds, took none. TDA Chaplain exchanged blows with the Killa Kans, taking two wounds himself (Mantle for the win) but blowing two of them up in retaliation.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/thebiggame-turn3.5.jpg

Shooting-wise my Rhino killed an Ork flyer with Quad Gun. Good stuff. In a streak of hilarity my Stormtalon killed a fully intact flying Daemon Prince in a single salvo. Talk about earning its points back! My other Stormtalon had to jink and as such failed to kill an ork trukk with snapshots. Vendetta caused a wound to a Wraithlord. Meh. Predators and Typhoons caused two wounds to an Avatar of Khaine that was trying to come towards my corner of the map. Third was caused by some other friendly player. An enemy Chaos Lord + 10 cultists was blown to bits by a BA Vindicator, nice shot.

TDA Chaplain killed two more killa kans. I lost the last remaining regular termies due to look out rolls, but not before my claw termies killed a couple of cultists, and three UM bikes that joined the fray also killed a few. TDA Marshal dispatched of the Chaos Lord (he was a measly 125-point Lord with a power sword, 4++, MoN and VotLW). Remaining cultists, having lost fearless from the Lord ran off and died. Remaining SB + the chappie killed off the flamers, except the one in the challenge. The Beast of Nurgle that was still alive melted to Instability.

Turn 4:
No shooting happened against me. Ork Boyz finally dispatched of all the UM and IG near my objective. Seer council had moved trying to prevent any assaults against the Boyz, but now that they were unengaged that didn't help much. TDA Marshal and Chaplain together killed the two remaining killa kans. EC & flamer dude stalemated.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/thebiggame-turn4-pancake.jpg

My LRC made a LRC sandwich by driving on top of the broken LRC. It and some of my other units (like the Vostroyan veterans that finally got to do something!) wiped out the Boyz to prevent them for contesting the objective any longer. Second Stormtalon finished off the Avatar. Others in my team also cleared out at least one of the enemy's objectives. We still could've done plenty of shooting and even some assaults, but as none of it would've affected the end score, we called it a match - after all we had been at it for nearly 9 hours by then taking into account all the preparations.

In the end we lost with a single damn point! Had the SB charge in turn 1 succeeded (42 S5 and 7 S7 attacks with rerolls to hit? Yes please!), we probably could've tied or even won because the Boyz wouldn't have been able to contest due to being beat to a pulp in turn 1 instead of surviving to turn 4. And of course I messed up with the Crusader squad, as their help with the Boyz, Flamers etc could've been quite valuable regardless of the SB's failure at charging.

Overall my forces performed decently. Armor didn't do that great, because they were bogged down by the overt amount of units and couldn't really move much, and a lot of targets were tied in close combat on that side of the table. I only lost one LRC, the Vindi and the Dread from my vehicles. I had two Sword Brethren remaining (the sword + 2LC ones), as well as all my HQs - both chaplains only had 1 wound left, as did the EC. Marshal was unharmed.

My MVPs? Hmm. I suppose the Stormtalons. Between the two of them they killed an Ork flyer, a FMC, the Avatar (admittedly it was indeed down to 1 wound), an Ork Nob and a Boy, and glanced a Nightscythe. Manticore earned its points back by killing the 3 Nob bikers. Marshal and both Chaplains did good, though the AA Chaplain more by protecting the remaining SBs (which he did not only against the Heldrake, but also against the Flamers and Beasts) than by virtue of kills. Thanks to him, my 2LC SB dude killed more than his bloated 55 points worth, so he's (the SB dude, that is) earned himself a name, to be decided later. TDA Marshal earned his own unique name, too. He clearly performed as well as he did thanks to having had the lesser chapter's icons removed a few days ago :tongue.:

Disappointments? Dread, as usual unfortunately. It only did one glance on one of the Eldar skimmers. Admittedly it shouldn't have died that early, since the Dragons shouldn't have been able to assault it (and then my IG could've moved in to protect it from such). In general all the armored units ended up lackluster, except the Manticore despite its early death. As mentioned, it was mainly due to the lack of space, so the units couldn't really move much at all and were lacking suitable targets where they were. Even the Vindi didn't kill literally anything. Failed to kill Nob bikers on the first turn, and didn't even kill cultists on the second. Bah! My Vostroyans didn't really get to do much, though admittedly in the end they did hold the objective from which they helped clear the Boyz in the last turn, so without them we would've lost with two points as no other troops were near that could've scored. Had the area not been so clogged, I would've brought them to the melee against the Orks earlier, but there just was no route to do that! Vendetta didn't really do much either, although at least it did a bit part in bringing down the Heldrake and thus wasn't entirely useless.

Overall a fun match. It would've been nice to have more space to move in, but nothing could be done about that in this case. I'm sick of snake eyes charge rolls, but short of never doing any charges that can't really be helped either. It was nice to win some challenges for a change, at least. Didn't really have time to pay attention to what happened outside of my quarter of the map, as it was quite hectic just handling my own stuff at times.

Completed Sword Brethren Squad for the LPC:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-sword-brethren-squad1.jpg

Still left to do are 3 neophytes and the 5 HQ characters. And the 5 initiates need some last touches - a purity seal here, red eyes there.

A quick LPC WIP, TDA Master of Sanctity Schade. Pathetic progress considering I spent a large portion of today working on him, or at least trying:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/terminator-chaplain-wip1.jpg

Funny how different diffuse flash lighting makes the bleached bone areas look compared to the naked eye. I suck at painting these light areas, be it purity seals or larger areas. Also need to work on the skull's teeth, but I don't have a tiny enough brush for that. I really don't want to mess this one up, as this happens to be one of my all-time favorite-looking models.

Just wondering if you have the paint "screaming skull"? I just got it a little while ago, and it's a lighter shade of bleached bone (usabti bone now), and works really well as a highlight for skulls and bones.

Have you tried shading the bone areas before highlighting them back up? I use Bleached Bone (old paint), followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade, highlight with Bleached Bone & second highlight of White Scar. I'm no great shakes as a painter, but it gives an... acceptable... level of depth.

I personally use a base of Desert Yellow, then coat over it with the Bleached Bone leaving the shadowed/recessed parts (usually the temples, above the brow, and the gaps inbetween the teeth) of the skull Desert Yellow, then follow with the screaming skull highlight..

Edited by Urkh

Have you tried shading the bone areas before highlighting them back up? I use Bleached Bone (old paint), followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade, highlight with Bleached Bone & second highlight of White Scar. I'm no great shakes as a painter, but it gives an... acceptable... level of depth.

Previously I tried that a bit, but in the end it always ended up looking... bad. Dirty, in a bad way. Though it was a tabard, and with this model it's parchment. Yet, even highlighted the purity seals tend to look a bit bland. I suppose doing some scripture on them will help, but I need a tiny brush for that (though some sort of tiny "paint pen" would really work a whole lot better...). Just visited the LGS to recover my missing-in-action hobby knife, but forgot to buy the brush. Ah well, gotta go back after work, I guess.

I also haven't been too big of a fan of using washes outside of badab black on boltgun and copper. I've taken to using multiple layers of paint in almost every circumstance now to show the depth in my models. 

I think Schade's ready.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/terminator-chaplain-ready1.jpg

No scriptures, but until I can develop a technique for doing that without detracting from the overall result it'll have to wait. I bought an "insane detail" brush but it doesn't seem to be of any help on the matter, because it's just not rigid and sharp enough to do any scribbling. Additional work includes drilling gun barrels, but I haven't done that for any of my models so far (well, except a bit for the Dread multi-melta).

Overall I think the end result is quite a bit better than I dared hope prior to starting on him.

Chaplain Joshua.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/jump-chaplain-ready1.jpg

Seems I had messed around with the camera's settings, so the pic's a bit bad, but too lazy to retake it :tongue.:

It's "customary" to paint the faceplate of a chaplain in white/bone color, but somehow I felt staying black made him more... intimidating. A full skull such as with the terminator chaplain above is nice, but half-skulls... meh. They're not bad, but since Joachim already has it like that I figured Joshua could stay different.

One week of time left to paint Grimaldus and Helbrecht, as well as the finishing touches on the EC, 5 initiates and 3 neophytes. Unless something weird happens, shouldn't be a problem!

Model looks good, but do you have a reason for not painting the soft armor spots? I feel like on the table top, the armor is just going to look like a big blur of black, giving the models less visual effect on the battlefield.

It's only a real blur of black from a tabletop viewing distance when there's little differently colored detail on the model itself, which isn't the case with this model. I might drybrush them regardless (already did that with the jump pack vents and helmet tubes even though it's not so obvious in the pic), but in general I'm not doing much highlighting on the black parts of any of my Templar models currently. The reason behind that being that when I do highlighting it looks more like wear and tear than highlighting, which isn't what I'm after. Plus handling the model when gaming etc tends to rub off any highlighting if it isn't lacquered or whatever. And lacquering in itself tends to make subtle highlighting vanish. On the tabletop only fairly strong highlighting is noticeable in my experience. So for the time being it's more trouble than it is worth to do highlighting.

What we have here is Emperor's Champion Werner leading some Neophytes on a good ol' witch hunt to celebrate LPC progression:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-ec-neophytes-witch1.jpg

He who needs no introductions around here:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-grimaldus-ready1.jpg

As you may notice he doesn't have his own special backpack. I noticed it has a very major bubble issue that I have to try to fix, and I don't have the green stuff to do it now.

Almost finished with the Initiate touch-ups. Then there's only Helbrecht remaining of my LPC Vow. He does present a bit of a problem, however. I can't seem to make large metallic areas look good since I don't know any "NMM" techniques and just plopping some metallic paint over a large area just doesn't look good. And the "official" Helbrecht is pretty much full of metallic with his bronze(?) armor. As such I'm just considering leaving his armor black. It feels a bit wrong to do so, but... he's a very nice model, and I don't want to make it look crappy.

My Helbrecht has black armor instead of gold, simply because i think it was more appropriate for our High Marshal to represent our livery. I think the extra plating on the armor confers 'artificer' well enough.

If you would like to see how he looks in black i can pm you a pic so it won't clutter your crusade pictlog.

This strikes me as the sort of army that could make the best use of that Army Painter dip.  You've got everything blocked well, but pretty much zero shading or depth.  You may want to look into their product.

LPC Initiates:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-shooty-crusaders-ready1.jpg

This strikes me as the sort of army that could make the best use of that Army Painter dip.  You've got everything blocked well, but pretty much zero shading or depth.  You may want to look into their product.

These guys aren't going to get dipped in anything :tongue.: Anyway I explained previously that it's by design. I have literally something like 11k+ of stuff left to paint (plus the highlighting and possibly other touchups on another 4k). If I do highlighting on my models, it'll take me until retirement to have all armies as playable. As such it's just to tabletop quality for now. I take my time with the "blocking" (like these Initiates were supposed to be "ready" like five hours ago, but I only just finished them just now), but highlighting takes me another forever to do even remotely right (if you look at my first painted terminator in this thread, you'll see how it's not right even though I took HOURS doing it). Not gonna rush it just for the sake of getting it done (too much of that in many other local armies), and getting more models painted otherwise is more important.

EDIT: Also another thing of note. Taking these pics with flash and on a white table REALLY makes them lack depth far more than they do in natural light. For example that Grimaldus pic has no shades whatsoever in the pic, but it still has natural shadows in natural light. It really does look a nicer than it seems. I just have been too lazy to setup a tripod for taking the pics without flash.

Edited by tvih

Right, last images and then you'll be rid of my subpar painting probably for a while :tongue.:

Basecoat WIP of a few of the initiates: 

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-lpc-initiates-wip1.jpg

Helbrecht WIP from earlier today:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-helbrecht-wip1.jpg

Group shot of all the Chaplains + Helbrecht (the jumpy fellow got a fist since the last pic as that's likely how he'll roll on the table, plus it just looks badass, despite the fists big, undetailed chains looking a bit weird compared to his torso's detailed, small chains):

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-lpc-hqs-ready1.jpg

Aaaand all of the units together:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-lpc2013-vow-finished1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Took part in a Combat Patrol tournament today. 400 points with various restrictions. Originally it was intended to be for 10+ people, but we only ended up being 4. Had I known this, I might've taken something like a 66 ork boyz for a higher chance of winning the top prize :tongue.:

As it was, I took:

Sword Brethren Squad

- 1x BP+Power Sword

- 4x BP+CCW

- Frags

Crusader Squad 1

- 4x BP+CCW

- Flamer

Crusader Squad 2

- 3x Bolter

- Plasma Gun

- Heavy Bolter

Crusader Squad 3

- 3x Bolter

- Plasma Gun

- Missile Launcher

We had two matches. First round and then winners proceeded "gold game" and losers to "bronze game".

I ended up against Blood Angels in first round - Kill Points game. I knew it to be a doomed matchup from the start. He had two Death Company units (one with bolters and one with BP+CCW, with both squads having one power sword) and one Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers.

His devastators decimated my CS3 in the first two turns, leaving only the ML initiate alive at that point. My melee squads went ahead to try and intercept the DC units. CS1 succeeded in assaulting the bolter DC squad (a 6" charge distance - the longest I've ever succeeded in, I kid you not!) thanks to some boost from Righetous Zeal, but still I think I lost two and he only one. Ugh! SB squad tried to assault the other DC unit from 7" away, but fell short. The Devastators retaliated because the SB were now left basically in the open, and 3 SB went down. The DC unit tried to assault the CS3 that was behind the SB, but failed.

Going ahead, I regouped and assaulted with the SB. Maybe I killed one, not sure, but lost one in turn. CS3 shot a bit, not sure if anything actually died. CS1 still had one Initiate holding out for 2 subphases alone before dying against 4 DC, losing his last comrade in the subphase prior. He caused a lot of wounds, but I think only one went through early on. After he died, the DC killed the ML initiate that was trying to come from his hiding to shoot at them. The last SB fell in combat as well. In my following turn CS2 let loose on the DC squad, killing two. Devastators and the DC retaliated, and game was over during his turn 5. In total I only killed maybe 6 of his DC. But in truth I'm surprised I lasted that long, as my CC CS squads took surprisingly long to die.

In the bronze match I faced the Space Wolves. In a bit of a cowardly but also tactical move, I hid all my four squads behind a house where I placed my objective (it was Emperor's Will as scenario). He had a Razorback with a 5-model troop unit inside, and two Long Fang units with 5 missile launchers each. That's why I deployed totally hidden so none of his units could shoot at me, even though it was a lame and boring tactic in a sense. 4 missile launchers already cost me at least 8 models in the last match, so I knew it was the only sound choice. This forced him to come after me, or otherwise it would've probably ended up in a draw. In a weird move, he chose to come after me with all his units, completely abandoning his objective.

His Grey Hunters (I believe?) disembarked and approached my objective. My SB went out to greet them, while CS3 moved a bit to intercept a LF squad coming from the left side of the table (the building I was hiding behind was like 2,5" from the left edge). CS3 managed to take out one 2 ML I believe. SB then charged. I killed 4 of the GH, but as usual I then failed absurdly and also lost 4 SB because I failed 4 out of 5 saves :wallbash:

Next his LF managed to kill one of my CS3 guys. His other LF squad moved forwards, and then in the assault phase my power sword SB dispatched the remaining GH model and consolidated towards the other LF, vowing the accept any challenge, no matter the odds! CS2 moved slightly to the left edge of the map to shoot at the LF too. With the combined shooting of CS2  & CS3, 3 more ML models died, leaving only the leader who then ran off to hide. The sole SB tried to assault the other LF unit, but the LF got lucky and landed a missile hit. Ouch! CS1 was also heading that way, hiding behind a smaller building on the way there.

His next turn not much happened, the LF tried to maneuver to shoot at CS1 but didn't get clear shot. His Razorback shot at me, but didn't kill anyone. I shot back at his Razorback, causing two hull points of damage and shaking the bugger. He drove the vehicle towards CS1 after that, trying to shoot at them but not doing any damage. The LF unit had more luck, and killed two of members of CS1.

And anti-climactically that's where the game ended due to the end-of-turn-5 dice roll. Had the game continued, I would've assault the LF and shot the Razorback to bits, but that was not to be. But no worries in the sense that I held my objective and had first blood, so it ended up being a handy victory despite kill points technically being even.

For me troubles I won a hardcover codex. Choices were CSM or CD. Since I have around 2000pt of mainly unbuilt CSM but no Codex, I chose that. Could've chosen models from the shelves instead, but there was nothing I needed all that much while I would've needed the Codex at some point anyway. Though since sadly the store will be closing at the end of the month, prior to which I need to come up with 25 euros to spend, after which I can use 60 euros freely on something thanks to filling up the "stamp card". Perhaps a regular Land Raider which I don't yet have? Hard to choose!

• 1 month later...

Right, time to finally post the pic of my first ETL vow that I took a few weeks back:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2013-vow1-before.jpg

Missing quite a few bits from the pic and for some reason I've put an assault marine in there instead of and 8th regular marine, but regardless there it is.

Started work on the LRC finally today, too damn humid to spray infantry even now that I finally have the sprays! So much to paint, and so much to vow even after this first vow if I just have the time, with a month already wasted not getting anything done.