Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

• 5 weeks later...

For those wondering what happened to my preparations for Astronomi-con ... the organizers suddently announced in late January that they were holding the tournament in late April this year. I took stock of everything I had left to do on the Angels Sorrowful and decided I wouldn't be able to get it done in time to a standard that they deserve. :(

I still had a fair bit to buy, assemble, and paint, including a DC Dread, two Razorbacks, and a Storm Raven.

So I decided the shelve them for the time being and just paint a few (already assembled) Scions for my Inquisition force for the tournament. I'll hopefully get back to work on the Angels Sorrowful after April.

• 1 month later...

Getting back to work on the Angels Sorrowful -- I'm focusing on doing a while whack of assembling over the next month to get ready for ETL, then trying to paint the rest of what I need for my 1500 point tournament list during that three-month window. Last night I got underway with a Las/Plas turret conversion for my first of two Razorbacks:

med_gallery_66537_10027_124508.jpg

EDIT: Question for my Lamenters brethren ... what is the "official" manner of marking Lamenters vehicles? I've been able to find lots of pics for how their marines are done and I am copying this style on my Angels Sorrowful (Chapter badge on one pauldron, company number in gothic script on the other), but am having difficulties finding pics from IA of their vehicles.

Another Frater, the esteemed Carlson793, was very kind to create Badab Campaign badges, as seen on the Lamenter vehicles mentioned just above by Jolemai, for transfer sheets. They look great and are perfect size. Please forgive this messy post I am guerilla posting on holiday.

I guess my google-fu is lacking and I am using the wrong search terms because I am not finding what I want ... I found one pic of a profile view of a rhino (small, low resolution picture) and that's it.

IA IX, page 110, 114 and 115 has Lamenter vehicle markings

Alas, I can't afford to drop the coin involved in buying an Imperial Armour book just for a few pages. I don't want people breaking copyright, but can someone who has the book just let me know, do they Lamenters have company numbers on the vehicles and if so where, do they put the chapter badge on, squad markings, etc. Thanks.

On another note, man, Rhino chassis vehicles are so fast and easy to assemble compared to Imperial Guard vehicles. I'll be moving on to my counts-as Cassor tonight. I don't want him to be "just another DC Dread" (it's a cool model and I like it, but surely not every single DC Dread has his helmetless head stripped down to the bone hanging outside his cockpit) so I am thinking of trying to hack the skull out and replace it with a DC helmet. We'll see how it goes. If I totally screw up the sarcophagus in the attempt I'll use the Furioso sarcophagus and paint it in DC colours.

Got down to work on my counts-as Cassor the Damned, who shall be named "Cassius the Unredeemed", an Angels Sorrowful captain who succumbed to the black rage several decades after being interred inside his dreadnaught. This was a bloody difficult conversion and one that, based on the way the model was moulded, was never intended to be done by GW sculptors. I'm happy with the results though and Cassius will be a unique DC Dread befitting his "special character" status as a result:

med_gallery_66537_10027_49946.jpg

Thanks, EDC! Here's a picture of the fully-assembled "Cassius the Unredeemed":

med_gallery_66537_10027_363278.jpg

He merely awaits the commencement of ETL to receive paint. In the mean time, I am finishing off some Assault Marines. Here is a WIP -- I really like how the white helmets look with the purple armour:

med_gallery_66537_10027_87802.jpg

It is. I just didn't think yellow helms would look good with the rest of the colour scheme. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Devastators (if I ever build any) will still have blue helms though. Not sure what I'll do with veterans ... probably still gold. My thoughts are, when the time comes to build a small squad of Vanguard Vets (just because so many of our formations use them), I'll actually paint them all gold like my SG.

Nice!

I've avoided helm colours for my own successor, insread iIve opted for weapon casing colours instead. Tactical are gun metal, assault yellow, Devs will be blue and Vets will just feature a lot of gold on the model too.

It is. I just didn't think yellow helms would look good with the rest of the colour scheme. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Devastators (if I ever build any) will still have blue helms though. Not sure what I'll do with veterans ... probably still gold. My thoughts are, when the time comes to build a small squad of Vanguard Vets (just because so many of our formations use them), I'll actually paint them all gold like my SG.

Go silver instead of gold. Trust me ;)

Yes, and I suppose it would be a good way of differentiating from the Sanguinary Guard. They are gold just because they're "special" and its an example of the Angels Sorrowful trying to more closely link themselves to the progenitor chapter, but then veterans in silver helms would be cool. I don't think I'd go all silver because I don't want them looking Grey Knight-ish. Vanguard Vets are a project for pretty far down the line though.

To get ready for the tournament, what I have to prepare as of right now is:

2 Tactical Marines

2 Las/Plas Razorbacks

7 Assault Marines

DC Dread

Storm Raven

4 bikers

I'll be vowing the Razors, the dread, Raven, and Bikers for ETL.

• 3 weeks later...

Lest the brethren think I've been idle, I've just been extremely busy with real life but have still managed to finish those first three Assault Marines (save and except flocking the base and adding the second company decal to their right pauldrons) ...

med_gallery_66537_10027_77991.jpg

And converting some Dark Vengeance bikers into Angels Sorrowful bikers (2x grav guns and meltabombs on the sarge), ready to be vowed for ETL:

med_gallery_66537_10027_13259.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived