Apostles of Quetza

rednekkboss

The converting/sculpting is done on the Chaplain. Tomorrow, I prime him(and the librarian sans weapon) and the painting begins.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0UZKTKO8kTU/UFqT0FcJC8I/AAAAAAAAAms/s40prMoqJko/s1600/ChaplainWIP03.jpg

I was agonizing over a few details, but I've decided instead of laboriously sculpting them (I had a couple failed attempts) that I'm going to paint them, since I'm alot more confident in my painting than my sculpting.

How did you do that cloak? I have been thinking of strpping down and reusing my lizardmen and would want to convert a oldblood with a similar cloak, plus that feather work could be usefull on my thousand son.... That has to be one of the best conversions on a starter box model I have seen. And to think in brainstorming I had been thinking of a chapter with mesmoamerican/mesopotamian influences in it ;) Can't wait to see more.

I really like the details on the skulls, the added eyes and everything. Perfect, subtle touch that really makes a conversion.

Have you considered Aztec-ifying the Imperial Eagle as well? Something a bit more.. square:

http://img.printfection.com/14/291042/QPHgw.jpg

EDIT: Realised Xatu might be a better example:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj3o7wA0Lb1qhxufho1_500.jpg

Thanks for all the interest gang.. as always (BTW- B&C just rocks, I love this forum- always good feedback)

Rune Priest Ridcully: I'll slap together a quick tutorial as soon as I can get my wife to take pictures of the process. Its actually pretty easy, if you have the right tool.

GoosedaMoose: Those are cool. I'll add them to my resources. The plan at the moment is to do the eagles in jade. I'm trying to convert the dark angels symbol into an easy feathered serpent motif at the moment.

Kierdale: Working on it. Probably have a new update on Sunday or Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

Been reading your post from the start and checked also a couple more threads i found around here.

I'd like to add a bit to your inspiration and put in a few ideas.

Remember the Coyatl from d&d or the winged serpent.

It was the symbol of Tetzlacoyatl,the god for whom mythology says came upon a flying disc to the people and tought them things like technology(i cant remember specifics,but you get the idea).

I suggest you read this specific god's history,for by itself it must be a great sourse of info.

I'll come back with more if i find something.

Cheers!

i like your concept and the GS feather cape is ace :)

looking forward to seeing some paint on those!

and btw

It was the symbol of Tetzlacoyatl,the god for whom mythology says came upon a flying disc to the people and tought them things

tzeentch anyone? :wink:

Well,if you read his story,from the way they describe him he seems to have appeared upon a ufo.

Now,imagine a space marine captain (heretic or no),descending upon the world and descovering a primative culture worshiping through blood sacrifice.

So,2 options here.1 says the chapter is Smurfs and try to bring them into compliance while showing them the light of the emperor while rooting out any heretics

And n.2 would be the 1ksons where there before the Smurfs (or wbearers) and the whole thing turns out the same way as n.1,only that this homeworld will be under constant turmoil from the warp or insurections of primatives.

The whole chapter could still be barbarians considered by other chapters and an offset of onather,older chapter.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the feedback,gang. For me, creating a background "based on" a given culture is about using the history/mythology to influence my background, but not let the history/background fence me in. In this case (as was pointed out) a culture that cuts folks hearts out and taking skulls to appease the gods, would likely get a visit from the inquisition. A culture that watched the stars, had prophecies (like maybe one about a god who brought knowledge to humanity and had sons who were scattered about the heavens and were found and......well you know the rest,a hyperaccurate calendar,etc,etc. But... the background is being fleshed out.

The big thing that always kinda sticks in my craw about some themed armies it taking things too literally. For instance, I'm basing (roughly) my army on a culture that used weapons of stone and wood, but why....after being inducted into the imperium, would Space Marines (the cutting edge of an interstellar empire)... use obsidian edged weapons? But wouldn't the ubiquitous chainsword, perhaps designed a bit like the classic Aztec macuahuitl make more sense? An enormous feathered headdress might be cool for ceremonies, but I'm thinking its not so practical during a drop pod attack. At least that's the way I see it.... But for these guys the iconography will be (jade)skulls,bones,robed skeletons, winged skulls, jaguars pattern for the elites and lots of feathers

Enough of my little soapbox, here's what I've been working on....

The sergeant for my tactical squad...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pZKAJ47sHRA/UHerYomAGUI/AAAAAAAAArY/-Rkb_yWdP5s/s1600/SGT01.jpg

And here's the Dark vengeance terminators with some minor conversion work, soon to be covered in black,jade and jaguar patterns....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qky9CrXuPkY/UHerqVo1yPI/AAAAAAAAArg/VTMatBWLhCk/s1600/Terminators01.jpg

Cheer's Ya'll.....

Goodmorning mate!

Nice work you did there.

I imagine the termie serg with a jaguar head on his left shoulder would look awasome!

I'd like to ask where you got that tact serg head though.

It's very characteristic of the culture you're trying to make.

Quick Question, where is that winged shoulder pad from?

Yeah, this army is shaping up fantastically, so much so that I'd be prepared to be asked for a bits rundown with every conversion. Your Tac Sarge is amazing, those simple armor changes separate him from other marines by leaps and bounds. The chainsword conversion does look pretty fiddly, but it paid off, looks great.

@ Wicced The chainsword is probably only the best representation of what a real Quetza sword would look like. The blades would probably be isosceles, not angled, and just one broad belt for the whole thing rather then two separate ones that could easily catch on each other in combat.

Quick Question, where is that winged shoulder pad from?

The shoulder pad is from the Sanquinary Guard. I just trimmed of the blood angely stuff and glued a half a skull to it.

As far as the chainsword goes, yeah.... I know they run the opposite way. It took two attempts to get the shape right, so cutting off the teeth and doing it the other way was a bit much for my sanity. They could also be a toothy blade that vibrates really fast to make them more cutty....yeah, that's it! :lol: From my experience with chainsaws, I can only imaging chainswords would jam all the time and just end up becoming toothy clubs anyways. It may not make too much sense but I like the asthetic of the blades running opposite for what its supposed to represent. But then again... not everything in 40k makes sense. I still don't think you could really fit 10 marines in a Rhino.

I like the conversions very much. I didn't find those terminator-conversions, though. What did you do to them?? I'm very sorry for not seeing it.

Little things on the terminators. Shaving off Dark angels icons, dark angel swords, a few scrapes and bullet dings... not too much else. Though I still have to make a blade for the sergeant's sword and I may add some jaguar tails or pelts.

Ah, ok. I just wondered if I was so blind not to see something that makes them more meso-american or something. Well, if you "only" did shave off those DA iconography (I know how much work it is because it's always at places you can't reach that easily), it's good. I mean, not every poor little Marine should look like a priest. That would be exeggerating the details. Besides those terminators are damn much detailed anyway :lol:

Looking like a great start with a strong (and unique!) background - can't wait to see how you integrate some of these ideas! I agree with your ceremonial vs. battle garb point - I can't count the number of marines I've seen that look way too blinged-out to be combat effective *coughSanguinaryGuardcough*

Your Sergeant is great - love the sword, and glad that head looks way better than it does on the product page. Is that true of the rest of them? They look kind of... off on their website. The purity seal strikes me as out of place for some reason - maybe it's just too Western for the rest of it, I don't know. Same with the lantern/censer. They don't ruin the model or anything, but they're definitely Gothic European instead of Mesoamerican.

Again, awesome stuff so far. Bring on the paint!

Looking like a great start with a strong (and unique!) background - can't wait to see how you integrate some of these ideas! I agree with your ceremonial vs. battle garb point - I can't count the number of marines I've seen that look way too blinged-out to be combat effective *coughSanguinaryGuardcough*

Your Sergeant is great - love the sword, and glad that head looks way better than it does on the product page. Is that true of the rest of them? They look kind of... off on their website. The purity seal strikes me as out of place for some reason - maybe it's just too Western for the rest of it, I don't know. Same with the lantern/censer. They don't ruin the model or anything, but they're definitely Gothic European instead of Mesoamerican.

Again, awesome stuff so far. Bring on the paint!

The chapter is successor of the Dark Angels via the Angels of vengeance. I figure after a few THOUSAND years (keep in mind that 3000 years ago here, bronze weapons were all the rage in our reality) There'd likely be at least some cross cultural exchange.... don't ya think? I don't want to go too far with the ancient meso American thing and loose all the grimdark of the 41st millenia (the whole Imperial Gothic culture) I want to pepper the gumbo but I still want to taste the gumbo....so to speak. If that makes any sense.

the painting will definitely push the "feel" forward. Remember, these aren't Mayan/Aztecs on another planet, they are just a similar culture on another planet...... because we all know after watching "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel, that aliens like to travel from planet to planet and get people to build pyramids. :D

Painting soon.... I'f I'm not to distracted by my Chaos Army.

Love that sergeant, can't wait to see how these guys turn out.

On a side note.

I don't think head/heart taking wouldn't go down that badly in the Imperium. There's an Ultramarines successor (Mortificators?) that take heads, and the Space Wolves/Flesh Tearers aren't exactly civilized. Plus space marines can eat parts of their opponents to learn about them, could be part of why they tale the hearts...

Anyway, awesome start. I love the Aztecs/Mayans.

The big thing that always kinda sticks in my craw about some themed armies it taking things too literally. For instance, I'm basing (roughly) my army on a culture that used weapons of stone and wood, but why....after being inducted into the imperium, would Space Marines (the cutting edge of an interstellar empire)... use obsidian edged weapons? But wouldn't the ubiquitous chainsword, perhaps designed a bit like the classic Aztec macuahuitl make more sense? An enormous feathered headdress might be cool for ceremonies, but I'm thinking its not so practical during a drop pod attack. At least that's the way I see it.... But for these guys the iconography will be (jade)skulls,bones,robed skeletons, winged skulls, jaguars pattern for the elites and lots of feathers
Amen.

They're still Space Marines. It's important that they be Space Marines first, and whatever their "theme" is, second. Otherwise they wouldn't have been made Space Marines in the first place, lol. It's a big investment to create a Space Marine chapter, so there would still be oversight and regulations in their creation and organization and training.

That said, I really like this project. Your greenstuffed feathers are cool. And as one of my alma matter's nickname was the Aztecs, I'm even more of a fan, heh.

Archived