The Chosen of Arthrax - World Eaters Warband

Lord of Blades

Well, just finished spraying the two squads. Here's them in their bright red colors of happyness:

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/793/img3895z.jpg

Also, does anyone know a good convertion for Noise Marines to Khornate? I need to Khornify a squad of noise marines and am not sure how to make the sonic blasters appear... "Khornish"? If anyone has some ideas, they are wecome.

Slaaneshi Sorcerer Vorashta logic and reasoning: Alright, hre we go. Take a look at the model before you read this. He is modeled with a Narthrecium. This is to represent the Biomancy discipline. In my force, I use him to buff my units. If you take a look at the Slaanesh powers and the Biomancy powers, they are mainly buffs for your untis or negative effects on opponents. I use him in a squad of Zerers to buff the hell outta them and make them tough nuts to crack. Fluff wise, I use Vorashta as a Blood Priest or Blood Surgeon. If you read the Khorne Berserker entry, they talk about Blood Surgeons who specifically work on lobotomising the MArines and inserting the neural implants that cause the zerker rage. They are very sane and are able to buff up the zerkers making them more effective i combat. I think that Slaanesh powers and Biomancy powers work the best for buffs and a Slaanesh sorcerer beomes justified as it. If you have ny other ideas feel free to give them to me!

I like that a lot, and that's kinda what I hoped you'd be going with, looking at the model. Totally in favour of doing that, if I ran a Khorne army chances are I'd do the same. I do have some ideas though (which are purely ideas) for the model. The painting so far looks really good but it needs something that screams 'Surgeon' in that horrific, gritty, 19th century way in which surgeons were as much angels of death as healers (in fact more one than the other). I can think of three things that might really help. One, and most Khornate, is some skulls round his waist. Just one or two, doesn't have to be a lot, just little trophies to remind everyone which God his allegiances lie with. Two, an apron made out of human skin. If there's one word I think of in relation to a Khornate apothecary it's 'flesh'. Ragged, torn, bloody strips of flesh he's peeled back off the faces of his screaming enemies. If you don't want to go down the green stuff route, maybe there's some on the Fabius Bile mini or something - I'm not really that familiar with the Chaos range but it'd make Vorashta look sick.

Third option would be a standard bloody apron. I'd be tempted to add all three and make him look over-the-top in a psychotic way. Might make him look too busy though, your call.

Revellion is awesome. That's literally the exact kind of scenic base I had in mind when I said that. You really hit the money there, he is going to look *really* good when he's painted. Is he glued onto that base or are you magnetising him to it, and then to a smaller base for gameplay? I can't wait to see him painted.

I had a bit of a think about Arthrax and the following things came to mind. Firstly, he has grown on me. The cloak looks great, your head swap is inspired, Biohazard had a really good idea there. What would make Arthax look really sinister and like a real Lord of Chaos to me, is a new set of legs (maybe truescaled - you definitely have the modelling capability for that) and some more fur around the shoulderpads. He needs to be a bit bulkier. Revellion looks like the kind of warrior who doesn't bother much with fancy doodads, just gets out the swords and starts killing; Arthrax should look like he has seen milennia of war, and his armour and trophies should reflect that - a ton more fur and trophies would do the trick.

Having said all that, he does look great right now, and he's in no way mistakeable for anything but a counts-as Khârn. The axe has really grown on me, too. I just feel that with a Chaos Lord there's no reason not to make a mini that makes your opponent want to admit defeat on turn one. Here's a picture of concept art from Guild Wars 2 which has made me recently want to start a Chaos army, and ironically isn't that far from how Arthrax looks now, just a bit more fur and a slightly more menacing pose:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kybx0uPoNb1qze2m9o1_500.jpg

I hope some of that was helpful, dude. I really like what you've done and I only make critical comments cos I think you could take this army to the next level and make it something outstanding.

Looking forward to seeing further updates!

maybe a gun that shoots saw blades or something like that?

First person to make one of these wins the internet.

how about modifying the guns barrel to be a bloodletter head, his open mouth the guns mussel?...make pipes coming off their packs that end in open mouths skulls with the khorne brand on the forehead?...gs some robes on them modeled to look like flayed skin with hooks and bells trailing off them, leaving a trail of blood behind each?....modify the guns to be instead giant harpoon guns, with a quiver of replacement harpoons hanging from the hip or off the back....

just a few thoughts off the top of my head....hope they help getting ur creative juices flowing....

Slaaneshi Sorcerer Vorashta logic and reasoning: Alright, hre we go. Take a look at the model before you read this. He is modeled with a Narthrecium. This is to represent the Biomancy discipline. In my force, I use him to buff my units. If you take a look at the Slaanesh powers and the Biomancy powers, they are mainly buffs for your untis or negative effects on opponents. I use him in a squad of Zerers to buff the hell outta them and make them tough nuts to crack. Fluff wise, I use Vorashta as a Blood Priest or Blood Surgeon. If you read the Khorne Berserker entry, they talk about Blood Surgeons who specifically work on lobotomising the MArines and inserting the neural implants that cause the zerker rage. They are very sane and are able to buff up the zerkers making them more effective i combat. I think that Slaanesh powers and Biomancy powers work the best for buffs and a Slaanesh sorcerer beomes justified as it. If you have ny other ideas feel free to give them to me!

I like that a lot, and that's kinda what I hoped you'd be going with, looking at the model. Totally in favour of doing that, if I ran a Khorne army chances are I'd do the same. I do have some ideas though (which are purely ideas) for the model. The painting so far looks really good but it needs something that screams 'Surgeon' in that horrific, gritty, 19th century way in which surgeons were as much angels of death as healers (in fact more one than the other). I can think of three things that might really help. One, and most Khornate, is some skulls round his waist. Just one or two, doesn't have to be a lot, just little trophies to remind everyone which God his allegiances lie with. Two, an apron made out of human skin. If there's one word I think of in relation to a Khornate apothecary it's 'flesh'. Ragged, torn, bloody strips of flesh he's peeled back off the faces of his screaming enemies. If you don't want to go down the green stuff route, maybe there's some on the Fabius Bile mini or something - I'm not really that familiar with the Chaos range but it'd make Vorashta look sick.

Third option would be a standard bloody apron. I'd be tempted to add all three and make him look over-the-top in a psychotic way. Might make him look too busy though, your call.

Revellion is awesome. That's literally the exact kind of scenic base I had in mind when I said that. You really hit the money there, he is going to look *really* good when he's painted. Is he glued onto that base or are you magnetising him to it, and then to a smaller base for gameplay? I can't wait to see him painted.

I had a bit of a think about Arthrax and the following things came to mind. Firstly, he has grown on me. The cloak looks great, your head swap is inspired, Biohazard had a really good idea there. What would make Arthax look really sinister and like a real Lord of Chaos to me, is a new set of legs (maybe truescaled - you definitely have the modelling capability for that) and some more fur around the shoulderpads. He needs to be a bit bulkier. Revellion looks like the kind of warrior who doesn't bother much with fancy doodads, just gets out the swords and starts killing; Arthrax should look like he has seen milennia of war, and his armour and trophies should reflect that - a ton more fur and trophies would do the trick.

Having said all that, he does look great right now, and he's in no way mistakeable for anything but a counts-as Khârn. The axe has really grown on me, too. I just feel that with a Chaos Lord there's no reason not to make a mini that makes your opponent want to admit defeat on turn one. Here's a picture of concept art from Guild Wars 2 which has made me recently want to start a Chaos army, and ironically isn't that far from how Arthrax looks now, just a bit more fur and a slightly more menacing pose:

You are the best! You are the biggest commenter/criticiser so far! I love the ideas you have and I am TAKING THEM ALL FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

I will look into it on Vorashta and Arthrax and see if I can find some bitz for them. I'm sure I can fix them up to perfection. Vorashta willbe gaining a small pile of helmets on his base and maybe some ragged skin flaps as a cloak. Speaking of which... I have a few chaos warrior cloaks... :) I am thinking of doing some reposing with Arthrax's legs. I have about 12+ pairs of extra legs (amazing, right?) because my friend dumped them on me after he realised they were extras he didn't need. I think I kinda want to try a pose like this:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/12/123120/2456425-kharn3_super.jpg

with the stepping up onto something part being emphasized. I think a repose of the Chainaxe would be called for, but that would be simple.

I am now in love with Revellion. I re read that part from the codex about him. No, he isn't glued to the base, and neither is the downed marine. He is glued to the guy he is standing on though, as that is his smaller base that is for games. I am thinking of either pinning him or magnetizing him, or simply making it so that he can slot into the base. I wish I knew the Ebon Knights colors and heraldry >.> But I plan to give him some very menacing looks during the painting phase for him. I actually really like the scenic base now, and the Marine who is lying there. When I was modeling him I was picturing the battle and the few seconds that lead up to the scene and what is to the sides of the scene. In my mind, this is a battle near the Eye of Terror and the Blood ngels are supporting a Cadian regiment defend the northern flank. Revellion is leading the charge and he has broken through into the line and killed the sergeant in command. He is now about to rush into the trenches when he stumbles across this unlucky bastard. What I think the downed marines is thinking: "Well f**k! Time to Death or Glory with a melta bomb!"

Keep the good criticisms coming, brother!

The blood surgeon is a cool idea and pretty well executed. Loving the scenic base as well for that marine though it does kind of look like hes about to get his brains blown out the back of his head by the loyalist.

The nightords also look cool, Are they goign to be run int he army as well or repainted?

Cheers

James

The blood surgeon is a cool idea and pretty well executed. Loving the scenic base as well for that marine though it does kind of look like hes about to get his brains blown out the back of his head by the loyalist.

The nightords also look cool, Are they goign to be run int he army as well or repainted?

Cheers

James

The Night Lords will stay Night Lords and be on my shelf to bring back memories of the past.

And a spoiler alert on the scenic base

The loyalist runs out of ammo one shot later. That one shot manages to clog the chainsword Revellion is striking him with. This leads to an even more painful death than was warranted to the marine as he is clubbed to death with the now non-working chainsword. Then Revellion realises he has two and just cuts the poor fellow's head off. HE then proceeds to slaughtr the Cadian regiment staioned there and run off screaming litanies of hate and praises to the Blood God.

Update time!

So, a few things being added in:

Arthrax has been completely reposed and given new legs. I think he looks a bit better.

http://imageshack.us/a/img204/2476/img3902sw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/5093/img3903j.jpg

And then the chosen squad which is basically made up of IC models. All of them double as minor HQ's and this is explained later on. I will also add separate fluff for each of them later on in the day.

Full Squad:

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7399/img3896c.jpg

Champion Stravus: Chosen with Gift of Mutation

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/15/img3897vs.jpg

Executioner Anagor: Chosen with Power Sword

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1729/img3900b.jpg

Sigil Bearer Domius: Chosen with Icon of Wrath

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/1750/img3898ku.jpg

Warpsmith Corovin: Chosen with Power Axe

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/1310/img3899c.jpg

Apostle Debor: Chosen with a flamer

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/172/img3901z.jpg

And then a photo of all of my units that I am painting for the Call of Chaos:

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/2096/img3906ll.jpg

And another photo of Revellion who I am just in love with:

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/9228/img3904dw.jpg

And yeah, that is all for now. I am writing fluff for all the guys in the chosen squad.

Looking really good. Where did the arms come from on the Executioner?

Left Arm: The arm used to hold a Missile Launcher. Basically the one they used in this photo with the hand cut off at the wrist:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/11/16/45914-Plasma%20Is%20Dangerous,%20Plasma%20Weapons.jpg

Right Arm: No clue... some random arm I found in my bitz...

Sword and Hands: Grey Knight Nemesis Force Blade

Would a Missile Launcher with a chains-rocket count? Because that is what I am building...

((sorry for double post))

Edit: Speaking of which, What would World Eaters use for heavy weapons? I have 4 lascannon bits and 4 missile launcher bits. I'm not sure what to grab on the havocs I'm building and how to model/convert them.

Fluff:

As promised, I finished all the fluff for each of the Chosen in Squad Stravus. Here is the fluff for the warband for those who are just beginning to watch this topic:

The Chosen of Arthrax are a splinter warband of the World Eaters Legion. They were there at Skalathrax when Khârn betrayed his comrades and slaughtered everyone. The Captain of the 24th Assault Company Arthrax Zoronus was infuriated by this betrayal. He led his Assault Company and his Battle Barge into the Warp and away from the planet, withdrawing from the battle. He went off into the Eye of Terror to find a world to take as his. His warband encountered frequent conflicts with other warbands from other legions. When they finally found a planet they were a shadow of their former selves. Arthrax, afraid for the future of his warband, began to seek other warbands close by. He dueled with the lords commanding the warbands and then took in their men as his own. He killed all the Lords he defeated to ensure loyalty of his men, save one. Captain Revellion, another devotee of Khorne, earned the respect of Arthrax. Revellion served Arthrax as his second in command and leads the warband when Arthrax is busy elsewhere. Many of the warbands that Arthrax subdues and takes in, stay with their own colors. Because of this, there are many warriors in the Warband that are still colored as their former loyalties. Many of his number include Iron Warriors and Night Lords. As his numbers swelled so did his reputation and soon warlords joined him of their own accord. Now, in the 41st Millenium, Arthrax and his men spill forth from their planet in the Eye of Terror and assail the Imperium once again. Entire systems have gone silent in the wake of the crusade and it shows no sign of stopping.

Fluff for the Destroyer Squad Stravus ( Chosen ):

Champion Stravus:

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/15/img3897vs.jpg

Stravus was the Sergeant of the 1st Destroyer Squad during the Heresy of the Battle Company. He was the most ferocious warrior in the company and participated in gladiatorial battles within the company, always ending up the victor. He continues leading what remains of the original 1st Destroyer Squad and all its new members and is now the champion of Arthrax, dueling many warlords in his stead.

Executioner Anagor:

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1729/img3900b.jpg

Anagor the Executioner. Anagor the Slayer. Anagor the Fury. These were a few of the titles that Anagor earned during the Great Crusade. He would challenge anything that others ran from and loved a good challenge. He has dueled and slain many warlords, champions, monsters and demons. A devout follower of the Skull God, he keeps all the heads of those he has slain in a chamber aboard the battle barge.

Apostle Debor:

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/172/img3901z.jpg

Serving as a Chaplain of the World Eaters during the Great Crusade, Debor is the self-proclaimed Apostle of Blood. He delivers the word of Khorne to those that listen, and that word is death. He carries a flamethrower into battle, burning all the unbelievers alive. He preaches to his men, and sings bloody songs of carnage during battle. Probably the least sane within the warband, he is so delusional, that he tries to make those he fights join the crusade of Arthrax and aid the warband. During diplomatic meetings, Debor is sent to negotiate and try to persuade more men to join the warband. Sometimes he returns with an entire fleet of followers, and other times with a half-empty canister of promethean fuel.

Warpsmith Corovin:

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/1310/img3899c.jpg

Corovin used to be an Iron Warrior Warpsmith serving under Lord Gastrem. However, during the duel between Arthrax and Gastrem, Corovin was inducted into the Chosen of Arthrax, becoming one of their number. Being the only Warpsmith in the army, he has become the only reliant source of repairs in the warband, and is in charge of all repairs. During raids, he is always at the side of Arthrax and Vorashta, hinting at what he needs for repairs.

Sigil Bearer Domius:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/1750/img3898ku.jpg

The standard bearer of the 24th Company during the Great Crusade, Domius still carries the banner of the warband, although now it is a sigil of Khorne rather than a symbol of the False Emperor. He carries the standard proudly, and fights ferociously under it.

Would a Missile Launcher with a chains-rocket count? Because that is what I am building...

Edit: Speaking of which, What would World Eaters use for heavy weapons? I have 4 lascannon bits and 4 missile launcher bits. I'm not sure what to grab on the havocs I'm building and how to model/convert them.

You mean like a shoulder fired "Ursus Claws" (missile) Launcher? That's bloody wicked!

Oh and where's your Flesh Melder?? hmmm...

~BtW

You mean like a shoulder fired "Ursus Claws" (missile) Launcher? That's bloody wicked!

Oh and where's your Flesh Melder?? hmmm...

~BtW

Basically, yes. An Ursus Claw Launcher, but my own convertion style. :P I am working on it right now and making the havocs. They are a 5 man havoc squad of Iron Warriors and I am converting them up to standard.

Here is the Flesh Melder (Blood Surgeon) Vorashta:

http://imageshack.us/a/img805/1777/img3881m.jpg

But I am thinking about adding on a cloak made from skin and stuff.

No real update for today except for the 6th Chosen:

Demolitions Expert Vordo:

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/6546/img3912x.jpg

Vordo is a maniac when it comes to explosives and attacking fortified positons. Called the Demo Expert, many bunkers have fallen to the wrath of Vordo's hand made bombs and grenades. Once he has cleared a breach, he leaps in and lays about with his chainblade. His ranged weapon of choice is the Vaporiser gun, and he cares for his meltagun as much as he does his explosives.

So anyway, I am currently working on patching up the Chosen, Arhrax and Revellion. I have a few extra pairs of legs, and I think I am going to try and add 2 more Chosen to the squad, a gunman and a powfist.

Apart from all that, Biohazards amazing tip on making the epic helmets/heads for the zerkers has really paid off. I LOVE all the heads on my chosen and Arthrax, and I think it was well worth it. But now my thumb hurts like hell... And I am considering changing the name of Squad Stravus to: Anointed in Blood Squad. I have slit my left hnd thumb about 4 times with my xacto knife and all the chosen now have blood on them. So does Arthrax. Funny enough, I got blood on the Icon of Khorne on the Sigil Bearer. Here are the pics:

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/8171/img3909fq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/5679/img3911z.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img259/3398/img3910hy.jpg

Also, I reposed the Apostle/Flamer guy a little bit:

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/4439/img3907t.jpg

Sorry for the shacky photos. My hand was shaking because I hadn't thought about covering up my bleeding thumb ad my hand was shaking... My camera is now a tool of Khorne....

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/668/img3908oj.jpg

Probably anything that gets them as close as possible to the fight - figure heavy bolters are favourite, or perhaps missile launchers for their versatility, though it may be that they just switch out for assault weapons like Melta and flamer and leave the heavy stuff to vehicles that can keep pace with them.

2 guys with flamers doing a drive-by out of a rhino's top hatch whilst it uses it's own combi-flamer is a joy to behold! :P

Probably anything that gets them as close as possible to the fight - figure heavy bolters are favourite, or perhaps missile launchers for their versatility, though it may be that they just switch out for assault weapons like Melta and flamer and leave the heavy stuff to vehicles that can keep pace with them.

2 guys with flamers doing a drive-by out of a rhino's top hatch whilst it uses it's own combi-flamer is a joy to behold! :P

Editing the Edit :P The HAvoc squad will be painted up as Iron Warriors a bit. They will be painted like World Eaters, but have Iron Warrior warning dashes on their legs and pads. Their helmets aren't bunny hats either. I am working on their posing right now, and I think they will come out really well looking as a mix of the two.

The HAvoc squad will be painted up as Iron Warriors a bit. They will be painted like World Eaters, but have Iron Warrior warning dashes on their legs and pads. Their helmets aren't bunny hats either. I am working on their posing right now, and I think they will come out really well looking as a mix of the two.

Speaking of modeling and posing, I am working on Vorashta again, and was wondering something. Does anyone know a good way to model/sculpt flayed skin? As someone suggested earlier, I want to put flayed skin onto Vorashta, but can't find any bits I have that I like.

LoB

Nice stuff, dude. I love the Chosen. Arthrax is looking better and better, he just needs a killer paintjob now. I have no idea what an Ursus Claw launcher is but it sounds pretty good :o Stravus and Anagor in particular are favourites. I'm not quite sure what Debor is doing with his outstretched hand...preaching? Looking forward very much to seeing some painted units soon :tu: Also, you might wanna check out the thread called 'Doomseekers' here in the WiP forum by Odsox - his marines have some GS'ed tabards/flesh scraps which look really, really good and don't look too difficult to GS.

Yeah thanks guys!

@Biohazard Oooh! Thanks for that link, I already have a few ideas to use!

@BrotherCaptainArkhan Thanks for the comments once again ;) The hand on Debor is basically like him saying "Join me! Or I kill you and your family!"

And I got the havoc a under way. Will be posting pics tomorrow of the whole squad. They look hilarious. Philosi-Havoc and Fabu-Havoc are two of the names. I shall let your mind ponder on what they look like until tomorrow :lol:

Ugh... November 2nd.... Y U NO HERE YET?

Update!

Havoc Squad Fabulous!

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/2994/img3915s.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/8205/img3929f.jpg

The Normal Guy:

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/5760/img3916r.jpg

The Fabu-Havoc:

http://imageshack.us/a/img840/6681/img3917u.jpg

The Philosi-Havoc:

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/2575/img3918gp.jpg

The Runner-Havoc:

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/1081/img3919pa.jpg

And there will be another update in a few hours with Vorashta the Blood Surgeon and his paint progress.

Cheers

Archived