Komodo

Stunning. It's the little details that matter - like the scabbards of the ceremonial daggers in red rather than the (typically more) traditional DA green, to help them stand out from the models. Glorious.

Cheers

I

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to start painting HH minis after I finish planned Rawenwing. Don't want any more black, so I came up with the idea to paint "fire and smoke" camo scheme in order to be able to use these squads in 40k as well as some revered long company squads. The idea came from some old AM (IG) tank camo scheme. So while I was preparing my upcoming RW command squad, I've painted a test mini: (It's a quick and dirty paint, just to test out a scheme)

Fire%26Smoke%20DA_small.jpg

Komodo - I like the scheme. Camo'd marines are a rare sight so they should look pretty unique and very striking.

But I agree with CL that tieing them into their bases will be key. If not outright lava bases - which might be over-egging it - you could do a cinder/ash base to suggest a volcanic environment.

Cheers

I

Camo is a great idea.  I have toyed with it myself.  Your test mini looks awesome!  The color transitions are well done!  I am looking forward to the test base.

I do like your camo but must confess when I first saw it i thought "oh cool Komodo is doing a Legion of the Damned force to be allies with his D.A.".

I have sympathy with not wanting to paint more black its a demanding colour choice. Had you considered a tiger stripe pattern? There were loads of cool camo marine schemes around in the late 80's early 90's when i first started with 40k (one of my first power armoured forces was space wolves in a fetching yellow and bright green stripe pattern!) 

I love them, they look really striking.

I don't however think that any sort of camo should include fire colours; it just upsets the ex soldier in me despite 40k being rooled by the Rule of Cool. (black/smokey/sooty grey etc would suffice in that environment)

Sorry about not commenting earlier...carry on.

:biggrin.:

stobz

Edited by Brother Stobz

It's technically very adept. Is this actually intended to be camo or OSL reflections from the surroundings? If the latter, then this should look particularly cool. If the former, then the camo almost looks too realistic and perhaps ought to be more mass produced in style. 

I do quite like the idea of a heresy era force with all the personal heraldry to break up the black.

Gillyfish. It's meant to be a camo for a warzone with conflict raging on and on non-stop with desperate fights. Like major invasion (planetstrike).

The thing is -- I found out how easy this camo really is. I did only a few touch-ups here and there and that's it.

I will include personal heraldy as well, please mind that this is only a test AoBR marine that serves the role of "proof of concept".