Vindicator firing line?

khurdur

I was toying around the idea of 3 vindicators for heavy support instead of my usual stormraven/s. They make the enemy shoot at them, cause they break stuff, no matter what the enemy from ork boyz to land raiders.

For 450 points, they guarantee the rest of my army will reach the enemy relatively unscathed. I could also have a libby with shield of sanguinius to help them cross the battlefield....

I've also written an army list to try this idea in the BA army list section...

Anyone tried it?

I've been running a list with 2 vindicators and a raven with much success. The list you posted looks interesting, but not much in the way of AA. Two vindies attract a lot of fire and have been enough of a distraction for the rest of my list to get close. I have been tempted to try the AV 13 wall backed up by libby with shield (preferably in a raider to make a bigger area of effect). Would love to hear how it play tests.

A few days ago I was considering a mechanised army.

I was thinking 6 Razors/Rhinos, three baals, three preds.

But whilst looking last night, I walked away with a Vindicator.

When I played guard, I ran three Demolishers, they are far and away the best weapon in the game.

3 vindis are totally disgusting on the table. It's just a wrecking ball that takes a concerted effort to stop. Back it up with a Baal on either flank to stop side shots and your opponent has a real problem. It was awesome in 5th but now I don't know how you'll stop flyers. It's still worth doing, just figure out the flyer part and you'll be golden.

That is a problem, but fliers remain deeply limited tools.

Three Vindies could be backed up by six tactical squads, two priests, two librarians and an aegis line with icarus (at 1850).

3+, Shield of Sang, Aegis, Go To Ground, FNP.

Six Tactical squads can take one hell of a beating in that sort of situation. Especially from a flier, even a HeaBie HurBie AssCannon Raven.

I'm thinking two vindies and raven makes a much better choice at this point.

Possibly even a lascannon instead of an asscannon? Maybe not that far.

I'm thinking of something similar myself with but with two vindicators and a Baal alongside a stormraven, 5 man ML heavy Dev squad and maybe a furioso on the raven, It's a lot of shooting to take all that out I'd imagine. Have you ran this out yet?

Three Vindies could be backed up by six tactical squads, two priests, two librarians and an aegis line with icarus (at 1850).
Ugh. That list is just so.... static. If you mis-deploy then you're toast, there's no recovery or flexibility.

Vindicators make the Opponent spread out to reduce blast damage. They spread out the models in their squads, and they spread out their squads in their deployment zones. This makes them easier to beat in melee.

Coupled with the fact that BA Vindicators can move 12" and still shoot means an Armored Spearhead would be the best way to play 3x Vindicators. Jumpers can hide behind them for Line of Sight denial on their approach. And then you're using the Furious Charge aspect of the SangPriest instead of just his Feel No Pain.

3x Vindi, Jumper Librarian, Jumper SangPriest, 2x Assault Squads. Add Baal Preds, MM Attack Bikes, Death Company, or Sanguinary Guard per your preferences.

I am thinking of running the following Vindy heavy list soon.

Astorath

Sanguinary priest

*jp, mb

Furioso dred

*frag/ HF

(2) Death Company w/ bolters

*razorback tl lascan

RAS X10

Scout x5 w/ sniper rifles

(2) baal pred

* ac/hb, sb

Stormraven

*ac/mm hurricane bolter

(2) vindicators

*ss, sb

8 vehicles for target saturation. 4 av13. Let them pick their method of death. I plan on using 1 vindy, baal and razorback in 2 groups backed up by combat squad ras. This gives me 2 robust groups to work together with the raven brining in the dread where it most needed. Scouts camp home obj.

For 720 points you can run three vindicators in a diamond formation with a Razorback w/ TLAC and a librarian to give the cover saves for those around. Or for 640 you can run a librarian dreadnought in the middle. This is the best use of them to just laydown heavy firepower turn after turn on your opponent.

F isn't a swear word James?

No, but it's an abbreviation for one- which is all the same by B&C standards as it reads in a way we strive to avoid. He was decent enough to just casually edit your post without making a fuss or drawing attention to it. Maybe better to rather PM him if you had questions about it than ask in-thread.

OT: Do you guys not find vindies go down to flank shots, quite easily? Even with trying to factor in enemy movement, if they are mobile enough, those flank shots are tough to get away from.

No more so than Baals do. And you don't have a problem running them?

I find the vindies need to go in a little deeper than the baals ( :) ) to inflict max damage. Also, because of the turret and sponsons I find my angling a little better (im very cautious about my arcs) as opposed to the 45degree arc on the vindies. That being said, maybe I should run more than one or two and see how they do.

I think doubling them up, alongside double Baals and a Raven will see good results. Too many targets, too tough to get good side shots on. Anything fast enough to get good side shots on a Fast Rhino hull is going to be very fragile anyway.

No more so than Baals do. And you don't have a problem running them?
I find the vindies need to go in a little deeper than the baals ( :huh: ) to inflict max damage.

Sitting in my living room with my breakfast, I literally laughed out loud and scared my dog :lol: oh man that was funny. Reminds me of the days when people loved running the 'Vindi+2 Baals' combo in the pdf days.

Also, because of the turret and sponsons I find my angling a little better (im very cautious about my arcs) as opposed to the 45degree arc on the vindies. That being said, maybe I should run more than one or two and see how they do.
I agree with this. Turrets make a world of difference- in fact, I need to practice my Vindicator skills, I haven't fielded one in ages.

I just might have to recant my own thought about that Vindi Tactic. Because if they are forming an armored front for Jumpers, then they will end up more centrally positioned rather than flankwise-- and flanks are how you protect your sidearmor.

I used to run three all the time but found I still needed a little more punch so I took one out and added in a dev squad. I find that the two work very well and with my list they tend to live to the end of most battles.... But like all tanks some times suffer the insta kill shot in the opening turns! A lot less this addition though, with people not taking so much anti-tank.

I used to run three all the time but found I still needed a little more punch so I took one out and added in a dev squad. I find that the two work very well and with my list they tend to live to the end of most battles.... But like all tanks some times suffer the insta kill shot in the opening turns! A lot less this addition though, with people not taking so much anti-tank.

That's the exact reason I don't go chasing meta. Just build a list you like and run with it. Otherwise some guy is going to drop 3 land raiders and roll you.

Archived