POTMS and Evade

TheSauce

The rulebooks FAQ is somewhat relevant.

First it states that the BS of a snapshot can never be modified. PotMS doesn't modify BS, it removes modifiers so it can be considered to 'slip though' this clarification.

Secondly, the next question on the FAQ tells us that only snap shots hit flyers.

So I say that PotMS does overrule snap shots and uses normal BS, unless you fire at a flyer... In which case you still have to snap shot because that's what the FAQ says.

You don't snap shot against flyers becaue they are flyers. You snap shot against flyers because you don't have skyfire.

POTMS overrides the snap shot restriction from movement. It does not override the restriction from not having skyfire.

The Stormraven is a flyer, so it automatically has Skyfire....therefore it has no such restriction when shooting other flyers using the skyfire rule.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find where.

If my Stormraven uses evade (gains jink but only fires snapshots), can it use POTMS to fire a non-snapshot, for instance its TL Plasma cannon?

And for that matter, if it uses skyfire can it use POTMS to fire at a ground target with a non-shapshot? I think the answer is no to this one.

Yes, POTMS gives you one shot at full ballistic when you evade.

No, unless you also have Interceptor.

POTMS overrides the snap shot restriction from movement. It does not override the restriction from not having skyfire.
No, it always overrides Snap Shot, period.

Or not, thus the conundrum.

No, it always overrides Snap Shot, period.

But the FAQ states nothing overrides lack of skyfire causing snap shot...

Land Raider has 2 Lascannon Sponsons. It moves, but not flat out. It can fire it's two lascannon sponsons at full BS, if it so chooses.

It cannot fire either of those lascannons at zooming flyers at full BS. It does not have skyfire.

POTMS simpy overrides the restriction that sets how many weapons can be fired at full BS from a movement. You still have to have skyfire to fire at full ballistic at zooming flyers. Same with signums.

I wasn't being exclusive. Sorry if I came across that way.

POTMS - "vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted."

What is normally permitted? Normally, you can shoot all weapons at full Ballistic skill without moving. Combat Speed, Cruising Speed, and firing Ordinance weapons are immediate examples that restrict the normal Ballistic skill. In all of these cases, you still cannot shoot flyers at full ballistic skill without Skyfire.

Otherwise, by the way you are reading the rule, any vehicle moves at Combat Speed or less can fire at full Ballistic Skill at flyers.

Chew on this.. I just noticed this wording.

Hard To Hit

"Zooming Flyers are incredibly difficult targets for troops without suitably calibrated weapons and scopes..."

It's technically "fluff", but it's specific fluff that uses a ruleset definition.

Chew on this.. I just noticed this wording.

Hard To Hit

"Zooming Flyers are incredibly difficult targets for troops without suitably calibrated weapons and scopes..."

It's technically "fluff", but it's specific fluff that uses a ruleset definition.

Dude, that definitely deserves its own thread over in the +OR+. :o

my 2 cents would throw in the fact that you can buy specific Landraider models with skyfire rules (forgeworld Hyperion, i think)

basically a AA missile mount, why would you buy that if your potms can shoot flyers out the sky with lascannons for fun.

personally if some one tried "the potms means i can skyfire without skyfire" with me i'd tell them to go play with someone else.

rules are rules but common sense should always prevail.

Skyfire in the Hyperious, would I assume, allow you to fire *all* it's wepaons with the Skyfire rule.

And not the single one that PotMS would allow.

Nah, the Land Raider Helios (the AA version with the Hyperios Launcher) doesn't have Skyfire, only the Hyperios Launcher has the rule. So only that weapon could fire using it.

Archived