DA Successor Chapters

Julgolax

Aside from the robes which come with all Dark Angels regardless, how can you model the successor chapters with their own iconography over existing, and rather copious Dark Angels iconography? I don't think I've ever seen someone convert something so complicated to match a successor.

I'm really interested in a Guardians of the Covenant force now later this year, where do I begin?

In my opinion Dark Angels iconography on Successors is completely okay. So no need to modify existing iconography, unless that is your thing of course.

Considering the Primogenitor Chapter has formal command over the other Unforgiven Chapters, when the Hunt is concerned, one can see it as a sign of respect or as part of the many rituals and convulated markings of the Unforgiven. Also, you could see it as a nod towards the past when the Dark Angels were officially a Legion.

In the end, the Unforgiven Successors are still Dark Angels (although with their own quirks), so I think it's natural that they share some of the iconography. You can also modify the pre-existing iconography to suit the Successor in question, like the Angels of Vengeance "Ravenwing" could have a red sword with a white wing to go with their Chapter badge.

As long as you use the Successor colour scheme and markings where possible, I'm sure there will be no confusion. And being who we are, who says a little confusion every now then is all bad? ;)

As for starting an Unforgiven force (good choice with the Guardians), I recommend finding a friend who plays Chaos Marines and splitting two sets of Dark Vengeance. Later on this week you can also pre-order our shiny new Codex, and decide what you want to get in the future.

To be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about the Guardians of the Covenant. I like their color scheme and the simple theme of the script-engraved armor can be a really powerful look but I just don't think I have the skill to turn DA models into GotC models. I mean it's not a big deal but it doesn't look right when your chapter has another chapter's iconography.

blogger-image-1493442422.jpg

This is my inspiration actually, that pict capture is just epic.

Hello!

When I first decided to do a DA army, I went with Deciples of Caliban, because I couldn't paint bone at all. Then GW came out with the Angels of Vengeance decal sheet, so I changed my colours.

Then Dark Vengeance came out, and all of the HQ had molded on DA iconography. I was bummed because I wanted these for my army, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to remove the icons. So I decided to go with my own home grown successor, and use the DA iconography. It just made my life easier, and things much more enjoyable. I went with the Angels of Redemption colours (green/bone) and just named my chapter the Redeemers. So far, noone has said anything negative about this setup, and even if they did, bollocks to them!

It's your army, paint and decorate it any way you want! You'll enjoy the hoby more if you truly make your army yours!

On a side note, I really like doing the split colour scheme. It's a challenge, and never boring. AND it makes a bottle of paint go further! :)

To be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about the Guardians of the Covenant. I like their color scheme and the simple theme of the script-engraved armor can be a really powerful look but I just don't think I have the skill to turn DA models into GotC models. I mean it's not a big deal but it doesn't look right when your chapter has another chapter's iconography.

blogger-image-1493442422.jpg

This is my inspiration actually, that pict capture is just epic.

I see what your saying but think of it this way. There are roughly 1000 space marine chapters at any one time constantly being replaced through being destroyed, lost in the warp and whatever other reason you can think of. Iconography will overlap at times with any chapter. Now when you consider that we are discussing the Unforgiven and the simple fact that we are Legion! Iconography is sure to cross over and in my opinion should cross over considering the relationship we have with our parent chapter. ( I don't personally think any of the unforgiven would consider themselves not Dark Angels )

If your wanting inspiration for GoTC have a look at facmanpobs. There awesome.

Linky

If you wanted to look at some of our brothers Unforgiven chapters here are some.

Shameless link to my own thread

Master Gabriel Maclouds link

Arkleys link ( personal favoroute )

These are just a few of many!

Good luck and hope this helps.

Hello!

When I first decided to do a DA army, I went with Deciples of Caliban, because I couldn't paint bone at all. Then GW came out with the Angels of Vengeance decal sheet, so I changed my colours.

Then Dark Vengeance came out, and all of the HQ had molded on DA iconography. I was bummed because I wanted these for my army, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to remove the icons. So I decided to go with my own home grown successor, and use the DA iconography. It just made my life easier, and things much more enjoyable. I went with the Angels of Redemption colours (green/bone) and just named my chapter the Redeemers. So far, noone has said anything negative about this setup, and even if they did, bollocks to them!

It's your army, paint and decorate it any way you want! You'll enjoy the hoby more if you truly make your army yours!

On a side note, I really like doing the split colour scheme. It's a challenge, and never boring. AND it makes a bottle of paint go further! :)

Got a link for these? Would love to see them.

Perhaps I can do my own DA successor using the Dark Angels insignia, even if that is a little "lazy". I mean I'd love to do either the Guardians of the Covenant or Disciples of Caliban but I'm also not a great green-stuffer or sculptor either.

I've done the same with my successor, using the same iconography but colored black instead of white. It's really not a big deal; we of the Unforgiven view ourselves as Legion to begin with, so sharing the symbols doesn't matter in the long run. I can understand your apprehension towards using Dark Angel icons, so look around a little more before you decide.

DA icons on a successor are fine in general, though one would still expect the shoulder pads should reflect the successor chapter, correct? I want to make my DV marines into GotC, but dread the amount of scraping that would entail... =(

I am starting to get some ideas flowing here about my own successor using the Dark Angels iconography/insignia. :)

I'm having trouble figuring out a name and a theme since the color pallet and ideology of Unforgiven chapters is so narrow. I was thinking of something simple like the Ebon Order or the Blades of Ire but I dunno.

A couple of color schemes I made up quick, dunno if they are any good.

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

I am starting to get some ideas flowing here about my own successor using the Dark Angels iconography/insignia. ;)

I'm having trouble figuring out a name and a theme since the color pallet and ideology of Unforgiven chapters is so narrow. I was thinking of something simple like the Ebon Order or the Blades of Ire but I dunno.

A couple of color schemes I made up quick, dunno if they are any good.

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

Nice I originally planned using a similar scheme but having too much time to wait for my models has made me doubt lol

Those are just quick ideas that I threw together, and in my opinion of my own work, they look too much like an army of Ravenwing. I just can't think of anything that isn't cream, black, red, or dark green that goes with the Unforgiven. There's the Angels of Vigilance chapter but they're them, using yellow and black, and a name I'd be rather fond of (vigilance).

Not much left I think.

Those are just quick ideas that I threw together, and in my opinion of my own work, they look too much like an army of Ravenwing. I just can't think of anything that isn't cream, black, red, or dark green that goes with the Unforgiven. There's the Angels of Vigilance chapter but they're them, using yellow and black, and a name I'd be rather fond of (vigilance).

Not much left I think.

I toyed with the idea of using a very dark purple/blue, or a black and yellow theme.

I really like the Black and Red version you've got there. Subtly different to the (can't think of the name right now) successor chapter with the red stripe. As long as you enjoy painting it and developing a cool background go with it!

I started my own successor chapter with the Dark Angels iconography as well. Very subtle gray introduced instead of the cream.

Lornak, what about doing an "alternate" history scheme for the Dark Angels, such as the Dornian Heresy style, or even others, such as "What if the Dark Angels remained loyal, but instead of hiding the information about the Fallen, they managed to enlist the fledgling Inquisition and they became the Chambers Militant of the Ordos' Malleus and Hereticus" taking on new colors (such as an inverse of the Grey Knights - mostly red with iron and white iconography), or something like "the Dark Angels blamed the Calibanites" and inverted their Legion colors instead, becoming (alternatively) dark red or pure white with a black DA icon.

Also, maybe write down a list of what reminds you of the Dark Angels, or what their concepts incorporate to you, such as "knightly heritage, darkness, shadows, the hunt, Unforgiven, Unforgiven II, Metallica, Unforgiven III :), raven black, Death" etc. Then start putting some of those together and see if it spurs something lose for you. Also, I wouldn't feel reined in by the "black, bone, red, green" issue. Both Brother Landrain's and my own DiY chapters utilize a sand color in our schemes, his more than mine, and you already mentioned the yellow of the Angels of Vigilence. Those colors can be gone beyond if you have a good story why. You could incorporate colors of dusty grey by doing a "shadow" theme, or midnight blue with a "hunter of midnight" concept - and by that I mean they kill Night Lords, just keep any color you use dark.

Hope that might give you some ideas.

I like the first one, very similar to the Angels of Vengeance. You can't have the head on that second one though, that one I used. ;) ;)

I thought about what you guys said there and this is a serious attempt. Quite simple but I kinda like it.

Name: Angels of Retribution

Founding: 25th

Homeworld: Althariel III

Chapter Master: Jathan Seraniel

Status: Under Strength, recruitment and recuperation under way

Primogenitor: Lion el'Jonson

Specialty: Hunting the Fallen and vindicating old grudges

Motto: "Kneel and repent before you die in his name."

Pict-capture: spacemarine.jpg

I love it! As an aside, for Dark Angels I like coming up with a stable of livery/heraldry colours. For characters, I like to play around with the palette a bit and start with different base colours to make them stand out. So for this purpose I have taken a list of common Dark Angels colours that I can incorporate in greater or lesser amounts, for emphasis. For normal DA this is black, red, bone, pure white, and gold (along with the green). So maybe have a look around and see what goes well with purple (which is a great choice, very regal). Red is an obvious one, and looking at the picture bone/white also works well. I'd probably avoid black and even blue since those would tend to blend a bit too much. Gold would be a good one. Maybe a lighter green?

I find that it helps you have a bit of fun with your characters and really pushes the knightly look more when they aren't a carbon copy of the chapter paint scheme.

But I think that purple is a winner. Manages to be brooding but quite different. Should have similar visual shock to the GotC who also go for something pretty out-there in comparison to the rest of the DA Successors.

Do you think it would benefit the chapter to have the colors reversed here? I was thinking about that too. I was just afraid they'd look too much like the Angels of Absolution.

Bone/cream colored armor with regal rich purple robes, hoods, and purple and white markings (respective surfaces of course)?

Here's a side-by-side.

spacemarine.jpgspacemarine.jpg

Just something to keep in mind, Angels of Retribution gets used a lot. I doubt anyone will tell you No outright, because obviously they are your army to do with as you will, but Brother-Captain Sharp does have an Angels of Retribution thread here.

I was kidding about the helmet thing, BTW. :D

Have you taken a look at Phillip S's 1000 Chapter Gallery before? It might be another good place to get some ideas and background.

Edit: I actually like the bone with purple robes! That hasn't really been done and I don't think you'd have to worry too much about the "look-a-like" as much if you use a mostly robed/tabarded/cloth draped force. As far as what works with purple: traditional color theory says that a yellow is the best complimentary color for purple, and with metallics, that would probably best extend to gold (lending more regal appearance as well).

Edit 2: I promise I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas for this Successor, I actually like creative Successors more than GW's fluff on the standard Chapters. I just want each DiY'er to be as informed as possible.

Something I said recently to another DiY'er with a purple and bone scheme:

Something to keep in mind: there is a Chaos group called the Extinction Angels that is dark purple with bone trim, former Space Marine Chapter turned to Chaos. I've been researching them because I've decided they are the culprits of my Hybreon IV incident.

Extinction Angels

Also, our hated opponents (besides the Fallen) are apparently the Night Lords, which are also a midnight blue/purple.

Maybe that's info you can work into your Chapter back-story or something.

Good luck, will be neat to see what you come up with!

Sincerely, good luck, I don't want to speak for others, but I really do feel that most of us (if not all) are here to give honest and hopefully helpful opinions and not be rude about it.

I personally like that look of the white armor with the purple robes. If he doesn't like it then i will use it lol. I had an emperor's children chaos warband once that used that scheme of white with purple accents, course back then I hadn't mastered painting white armor. They were called the Children of Delight.

As for a descent name for them, instead of using angels in the name, you could opt for covenant instead, Knights of something. It would still fit the dark angel theme, without being another angel of something chapter.

Some names I was thinking off.

Covenant of Vengeance (to stick to the whole vengeance idea GW has going for it).

Amethyst Knights

Blades of Mourning (cause in thai cultures purple means mourning)

Blades (or angels) of Penitence

Regal Lions (going for the purple and the lion theme instead of angels)

Advent Angels (cause purple was used for christian advent in biblical times)

Seriously though, If you don't like the white armor with purple robes, let me know, I might use that idea and add an extra coloration to it. I was thinking of just making my druid based chapter using the dark angel list, but I might have to get creative and use that idea for an army, either that or I will steal that coloration idea and use it for sisters when they finally get a new codex. Course if I use it, I will use the crossed blades icon like on the guardians of the covenant than the dark angel icon, since I have like 30 metal shoulder pads in my bitz box for some odd reason.

Thank you so much Byron for reminding me about that chaos force, I completely forgot about it. I think that might be the deal-sealer for me. I think I'll do a bone/cream colored armor force with dark purple iconography, gems, robes, hoods, and cloth with gold details.

If you say Angels of Retribution is used a lot than perhaps I'll skip over the angels altogether and go with Knights Resolute, sort of a Dark Angels version of the Knights Sanguine. :( I could play on that monastic warrior theme more like was suggested, but still keep the wings and such to tie it together.

Lornak, I think that will look awesome! :o :P :D <-two thumbs at once

I think I may have heard a little bit of Midnight Angel's soul die though, he sounded very excited! :lol:

Awesome name, and I think with the new DA bits coming, you're going to end up with a fantastic warrior-monk force. Looking forward to seeing some models!

Archived