Decision Time!

captain sox

Hi folks,

Just cleaning out my painting station, bits box and unsued model areas in my hobby room to prepare for the new models coming soon.

I got to thinking, what is my army going to look like in a month? 6 Months? Year? and I came to a decision that certain units will not be completed, and likely sold off...

I think the first casualty will be my Devastator Squads. Unless these are cheaper and I mean really cheap (points wise) in the new Codex, I really don't see a need for them anymore. With the new Flyers and Skimmers coming out, I think thier time is up. Heavy Support slots were hard to fill to begin with, and I think more/new choices will mean leaving these ones on the shelf.

Same with Assault Squads. I think there will now be better FA choices with the new Knights, Skimmers and Flyers.

As much as I like to build and collect models, I think it's time to streamline and focus on what models will really play a factor in the coming months, and years.

It looks like the time of the Battle Company are ending....

What, if any, units will you likely not include in your army moving forward?

Well,

I ramped up and wound up with (5) sets of DV:DA - Now that I'm comparing the models to what I really want, I'm thinking that I want to get rid of those Terminators. I already have (35) painted Assault Terminators and (17) more terminators in pieces, some primed, some need assembled...

At this point, I'll probably be getting rid of one of my armies and downsizing back to (2) armies. Can't decide which two...

Paul

The only Two things I will lose are time and money. Collecting plastic crack is what we do...

Soul of Stobz

Hmm... good point. It's hard parting with models.

But do you think Dev's and Assault Squads are viable anymore?

I'll keep adding to my Tac Squads, and for sure I'll be buying tons of the new models, I just worry I'm going to get backlogged in my building and painting, and lose interest in squads I likely won't use. I currently have 2 Dev Squads and an Assault Squad that have never seen any action, or paint.

Viable or not; I think you are right in that there is a crap tonne of competition for them in the FA & HS slots.

Long live Greenwing ;)

S

A thought came to me the other day while I was contemplating my Jan PtR vow; I was thinking about vowing an update of my LS Typhoons before they become a second rate choice, many things will change that is certain. I played my Typhoons before the FAQ when they were crap, I just loved the zoom zoom pew pewness of them. With the coming of fricken A10s!!!!! in FA slots I think they might finally get shelved.

Major Pew Pew Zoom Zoom there :cuss

Not getting rid of anything apoc games are fun 2-3x a year and nothing like fielding an entire collection, rejects and all.

I wish I could field my whole collection... :cuss cant ever seem to find an APOC game with player limit of 40,000 points.. (not including my 6 superheavy tanks).

What I am about to say may get me a visit from the IC's...

I painted my army up in a DIY successor colors, The Desert Angels.

I use a desert camo paint scheme...

And while DW/RW are my two big companies.. the PA guys may at times be BA/SW/SM as I have enough that have no BA icons on them to field easilly...

Devs always get fielded when SW... Assault Squads when BA...

I find its nice to play different styles of game.

And while up until now DA PA armies where.... meh? at best.

Viable or not; I think you are right in that there is a crap tonne of competition for them in the FA & HS slots.

Long live Greenwing ;)

S

A thought came to me the other day while I was contemplating my Jan PtR vow; I was thinking about vowing an update of my LS Typhoons before they become a second rate choice, many things will change that is certain. I played my Typhoons before the FAQ when they were crap, I just loved the zoom zoom pew pewness of them. With the coming of fricken A10s!!!!! in FA slots I think they might finally get shelved.

Major Pew Pew Zoom Zoom there :cuss

I'm stoked for those models! Probably the first thing I'm going to get.

I think the LSVengeance will be OK in the end, will build mine stock. I think flanked by 2 Typhoons, it would look neat... I was going to redo my Typhoons for Jan as well, just to take a break from troops. I may end up with the Vengeance as my PtR and LPC vow. But then again, I do have that Dev and Assault Squad to paint...

Hi folks,

Just cleaning out my painting station, bits box and unsued model areas

Unsued model areas? Are you secretly GW HQ without telling us? :cuss

I don't think I will be getting rid of anything. Seeing how i already got rid of my PA DA army awhile ago as I was getting more and more Pre/heresy styled stuff.

I still plan on making my RW command squad converted up jetbikes from normal bikes (I need to get on that eventually,) I still need to finish up my Ezekiel conversion, my Asmodai conversion, my Libby in TDA, let alone a chappy and a libby on bikes (may do jetbikes for them somehow, either old school jetbikes, converted jetbikes or on a FW jetbike,) still got to put together my RW I have and same with all my DW. I could get rid of some TDA so I can buy newer ones so I have better ratio of different styles of TDA.

I also plan on making a MotF on a (jet)bike conversion as I think it would look awesome with an underslung conversion Beamer. Even though we may never have that guy.

I know eventually I will end up getting 2 each of the RW and DW, 2-3 of the new flyers and will probably get a DerpSpeeder but will convert it up somehow so it looks better to me.

I was trying to sell some unassembled Phobos LandRaiders as I am wanting to get the proteus ones from FW but I have nooooo idea when I will be able to do that. Let alone get new DA stuff including when I will get the codex.....

I have a nearly full Greenwing company, with some DW and RW on the side. All of it will see action, though I think the DW are going to see a lot more use in the time to come. I've got enough of them to play a 1500 pts game of pure DW, with some addons I'll be able to hit the 2k mark. Belial is a must-have, I only have a conversion so far, based on the TH/SS guy from Space Hulk. RW might see the DV squad brought up to full strength, giving me 2 full RW squadrons, plus Sammael on his jetbike. Might add some extras there too, so I can run pure RW at 1500 pts at the very least.

Beyond that, no changes. My Assault Marines and my Devastators will keep seeing battle field service, as will my Rhinos and Predators.

In short, it all stays, and it all gets to see use.

Thats right Stobz, LONG LIVE GREENWING! I fully intend to run my force pretty much unchanged. A tactical heavy Greenwing is what I do. and I am good at it. now, of course I'm gonna buy all the new shineys! we are due (so am I for that matter.) but, I love what makes us Dark angels, the fluff, not the Deathwing, not the Ravenwing. we are a chapter of Astartes. We cannot afford to lose ourselves in spam army lists geared for tourney domination.

btw, I crushed a Deathwing army with a greenwing army yesterday. LONG LIVE THE GREENWING!

oh, and for the Lion and stuff :lol:

as a long time collector /gamer i think its best to keep the lot, have two army cases one active one inactive at some point the codex/rules change and you will regret haveing a one trick/streamline army .

i still use my old rt figure sure i get new stuff and its cool as well to have old stuffs

for example my azreal is ao orinal from the first relase in the ninetys still the same model still going strong

The time of the Battle Company will never end, and do we really need another thread to bemoan the Greenwing when everyone is almost completely ignorant about what will be done with them? Tactical Squads with combi-weapon armed sergeants and flakk missiles for their missile launchers is all we know so far, but that little bit is actually pretty good. Devastator and Assault Squads will be viable even if they are only brought in line with C: SM 5E.

Decision time is about 2 months after you get the codex in your hands, and have had a chance to play at least a dozen games, of various scenarios, using your favorite army builds. Asking what to do now would be like asking my unborn child Sting Beyonce Benifer Abercrombe & Fitch Locutus Obi-wan Leia Tiberius Madonna Prince....Stevenson in about 16 years (by which time I have hopefully not been murdered in my sleep by him/her) if he/she likes the name that I legally gave him/her. :P

I agree with Shabbadoo here - it's waaaay too early to be making decisions about what units will be ineffective or particularly effective. Don't forget a lot of that will be down to army composition too. In a well composed force every unit will have it's place. With the latest cc weapon rules I actually think assault squads with attached Chaplains may be a very interesting choice (or possibly with attached librarians).

So I would think that my assault squads and devastator squads will still have their place in my lists.

I know exactly what I will do......

1) Read codex

2) Get really excited about all of the new bling and special rules

3) slowly realise that the new options are really expensive points wise

4) bring out the humble bolter marines and apologise to them for ever doubting that I would use them again! :D

Talking about devastators, I will be using them in my army if the Chaos marine havocs points costs are any indication of the way ahead!

I have one entire company in the work, the 5th (master, command squad, chaplain, 2 veteran squads, 2 dreads, 6 tactical squads, 2 assault squads, 2 devastator squads, 8 rhinos 3 razorbacks)... With addition of 3 squads of DW, 1 DW dread, 2 RW attack squadrons, 1 RW LS squadron, some tanks (1 LR 2 predators 1 vindi 1 WW) and scouts (2 sniper squads and 1 HtH squad)...

I know a friend of mine have a lot of BA...

With he new dex we will start to play 1500/1750 pts games with the goal to play an apo with the almost 5000 ppts of DA i have 8and i know he owns about the same amount of BA)

When i will have the codex in my hands i will see what will be my loadout ofr the normal missions but for Apocalypse games i want to field everything...

The moedels i will buy are evrything, though not all at the same time... The first ones will be 1 DW box and 1 flyer...

Archived