Decision Time!

captain sox

I can't help thinking that I'll actually be making more use of stuff that I hardly ever use at the moment, in particular those (currently) overcosted, underoptioned assault marines. I tend to be a bit all-or-nothing at the moment, though, and play greenwing or Deathwing - that again might change with the new units.

The time of the Battle Company will never end, and do we really need another thread to bemoan the Greenwing when everyone is almost completely ignorant about what will be done with them? Tactical Squads with combi-weapon armed sergeants and flakk missiles for their missile launchers is all we know so far, but that little bit is actually pretty good. Devastator and Assault Squads will be viable even if they are only brought in line with C: SM 5E.

Decision time is about 2 months after you get the codex in your hands, and have had a chance to play at least a dozen games, of various scenarios, using your favorite army builds. Asking what to do now would be like asking my unborn child Sting Beyonce Benifer Abercrombe & Fitch Locutus Obi-wan Leia Tiberius Madonna Prince....Stevenson in about 16 years (by which time I have hopefully not been murdered in my sleep by him/her) if he/she likes the name that I legally gave him/her. ;)

Great reply, and I will heed your advice. I'm really not a patient person, and I tend to react without thinking things all the wy through

So much depends on what the Codex says.

What can be troops, how will units Deepstrike (no scatter? Heroic Intervention? Hammer of Wrath? Hit and Run?), what can have the Shadow Field, what the inner circle rule means...

My current list is thus:

HQ Belial

HQ Librarian

E Dreadnought w/TLLC

T DW Termy Squad

T Tactical Squad, Sgt w/ PW, Flammer, Razorback w/HB

T Tactical Squad, plasma everywhere! Rhino

T Tactical Squad, Lascannon

T Tactical Squad, Plasmacannon

FA Assault Squad

FA Landspeeder w/ MM and AC

HS Pred w/LC and HB

I'll sometimes take a Tact Squad out and use a Veteran Squad (Gunslingers and Libby with Prescience rule!). With the rise of flyers, I've had to shoehorn in an Aegis Defense Line w/gun. How will my future list change? I foresee dropping the Landspeeder, Predator, and Assault Squad. Probably the Dread as well- or at least change it out for a Mortis (if it becomes available). I'll be adding a Nephilliam Fighter, a unit of bikes (oh, how I hate Space Marines on bikes!), and maybe another Deathwing unit... I'm going to attempt to continue playing the combined arms of the Dark Angels, even though I have a feeling all Deathwing or all Ravenwing will be the real power in the new codex.

Really, there are a lot of variables and questions we just don't know yet until we get our grubby little hands on the 'Dex. I'll really be disappointed if my Veteran Gunslingers go away. Rule of Cool trumps all with that unit, and people are still surprised when I talk about them (Gunslinger rule? Huh?). I may actually start playing with a Land Raider again. It seems that AV 14 is more powerful then ever, with anecdotal evidence in my gaming group to back it up. The biggest change I see to my list is introducing the new flyer- may it not suck! My gaming group has let me play with a Stormtalon with my Dark Angels... and all I have to say is having a flyer in your list just changes the whole game.

I got so brand new DA stuff that I cannot say no to any unit. So I will be collecting them all, even Greenwing. I need regular Missile / Flamer squad too instead all plasma squads. Most likely candidate for "Not getting more of these " is: Robed Veteran Squad I got magnetized 10 of them with all possible options magnized them (or when I get to magnize 5 set of CCW and chain swords, 4 plasma pistols then yes)

As a painter rather than a player (I do play but not as often as I should) and a great believer in fluff over loaded lists I will be carrying on regardless of any new stuff GW throws at us.

I have almost completed my 4th Company (still have not gotten around to the last 3 marines from the 9th Squad - PtR perhaps)

The 1st and 2nd Companies are at half strength if I include models I have not yet painted

and I will be making a start on another company (6th is planned at the moment but is open to change) as I have 3 DV boxsets to paint up at some point.

I hope to have an apoc game some time this year and it will be awesome to see my complete collection mustered for battle.

Hopefully the Ares will be ready by then. ;)

I like the look of a full company and I think I might be one of the few who actually like scouts so I will keep on getting these as long as Ebay has cheap offers ;)

I am just a plastic/metal crack junkie :lol:

BUT: I wont be getting the flying LS monstrosity - I will more than likely end up converting an LS Storm at some point in the future.

Techmarines :D is my answer. Not that they're inherently bad, more like too much other [new] stuff to try and cram in :cuss.

Cheers

I

But why? He's looking at you with those biiiiiig rouuuuund eyes, saying "I don't take up FOC slots...lemme play! I'll even bring the ball! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!"

TBH, I can't risk saying what I'll never play with the new codex until I've ran it a bit. Back in 4th edition, I was in love of my devastators and assault marines...specially a sarge with PF and PP...70 points on a 1W T4 3+ model xDDD

For the LS-Veng...

After reading Pulpit Gunner,

I want to convert the gunner into some grand Chaplain looking gunner with long flowing robes,

With a huge Book laid out on top of his gun,

And looking like he is preaching to the fallen...

(think Papal Robes, although a fire and brimstone Evangelical looking priest would also work)

Techmarines :lol: is my answer. Not that they're inherently bad, more like too much other [new] stuff to try and cram in :lol:.

Cheers

I

But why? He's looking at you with those biiiiiig rouuuuund eyes, saying "I don't take up FOC slots...lemme play! I'll even bring the ball! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!"

Awww crud -- now you make me feel sorry for him :lol:

For the LS-Veng...

After reading Pulpit Gunner,

I want to convert the gunner into some grand Chaplain looking gunner with long flowing robes,

With a huge Book laid out on top of his gun,

And looking like he is preaching to the fallen...

(think Papal Robes, although a fire and brimstone Evangelical looking priest would also work)

That sounds like a great conversion idea...consider it stolen!

I have too much unpainted stuff to be considering getting rid of anything! The only thing to do now, since I figured up that I am a single 5-man Assault Squad box away from having enough bodies to fill out an entire FoC with basic units (Tact, Assault, Devs plus Dreads), is buy more to paint and dodge my missus' questions about "Where'd that come from, when did that get here?" ;)

Play wise, this should mean I have enough squads with enough configurations to pretty much use any combination found in the Codex.

Long live the Unforgiven, until the last Fallen repents!

I don't get rid of models (unless they have so much paint on them that I don't want to expend the effort of salvaging them, like the first few models I painted), but I am retiring the greenwing list I was using in 5th, with the awesomely cheap Venerable Dreadnoughts and Azrael kicking ass left, right and centre.

The irony, of course, is that I will be retiring an army that isn't even complete. I'll probably go back and finish them up though, since I was really close to finishing.

Archived