Nephilim Fighter WIP (slightly converted)

kanan

I think it's a great kit.

I bought a Stormraven at the same time as the Nephilim because I felt for something that's mean to have a stasis-crypt built into the hull I felt the Dark Talon was a tad too small for the idea I had in mind, so I'm crafting both and using the Stormraven as a beefed-up flying prison cell.

Can't wait to se your Nephilim painted up!

I bought a Stormraven at the same time as the Nephilim because I felt for something that's mean to have a stasis-crypt built into the hull I felt the Dark Talon was a tad too small for the idea I had in mind, so I'm crafting both and using the Stormraven as a beefed-up flying prison cell.

I'd thought of something similar myself Aerixis. The Stormraven seems to have the suitable 'bulk' to have a stasis-cell aboard. I'd imagine converting the front slightly to give the idea of an Assault Ramp not being present and having the Rift Cannon built in just below where the current nose mounted weaponry fits. The Hurricane Bolters can be side mounted instead of underslung on the wing, the turret could be removed and the rear ramp would be a suitable point for the DA to enter and remove the prisioner/s upon the Talons return to base. If you do go with this please post pictures as I for one would be very interested to see how it turned out for you smile.png

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/sinisterz83/DarkTalon_zps9cad1c8c.jpg

Gotta dry em all night for the airbrushed primer to be perfect. I also sprayed the wings in white (no pic yet) but had so much overspray that i need to tape em off and go over the lines with black.

Aerixis yeah i agree i do love the Nephilim kit but regards to your idea... how much work do you think it would take to make up a Storm Raven into something with a similar role to a Dark Talon... its a shame but we as DA players dont get an option for a Storm Raven but i feel we should have... please feel free to reply here regards to any ideas you might have... many thanks Brother...

Sgt Danosef looks like theres a growing number of people that want to try this Storm Raven/Dark Talon conversion... i think i might give it a go too but as far as the SM flyers go my favourite so far is the Nephilim by a long way...

SinisterZ nice looking Dark Talon there! how many coats of spray did you put on it and what did you use... i hear the Army Painter spray is some of the best around but right now i am using Humbrol acrylic sprays for my undercoating and base coating needs...

Cloud Runner i attached my canopy and the front and rear armour for it with a dot of super glue to keep it in place then i removed them for spraying... i didnt glue the armour to the actual canopy itself... but i wanted to do the pilots last on this one and the Storm Talon i got a month or so back... hence the need to have the canopy removable... thanks i think myself and SinisterZ did a decent job of building the kits...

SinisterZ i felt the same way about it... i dont recommend gluing the canopy before spraying as it means you have to mask and ive had issues with masking areas and spraying in the past and also it means you have to paint thing inside of the cockpit first before you even spray the flyer...

Cloud Runner i was making zooming noises with my Nephilim after i had built it... without doubt this flyer is one of the best in the 40K universe... and the fact its unique to our great Legion makes it even more special...

Zoooom lol.

I work in a Scale model shop that also sells GW so i have the luck of getting everything a lot earlier =) but no peekaboos :P. I got a sparmax compressor and a Badger 105 Patriot and i use the Vallejo Black primer. But before I primed the model i washed it with some soap. It makes the paint even stick better. We also sell Army Painter and all the colors except for the white one are the best on the market.

So I just finished my Nephilim 10 minutes ago. And I was about to say I'm very upset that I couldn't magnetize the lascannon/avenger mega bolter. Then after letting it dry, I found that I could easily slip in and out the two different weapon load outs. Now I'm really hoping that it stays like that after I paint it lol :D

And yes, this is the best looking flyer by far. I loved the look of the storm raven (I have two sweat.gif ), but this blows it away IMO.

Btw Kanan, I hope I am not hijacking your thread :-) still a bit noob to start my own :P

I managed to overspray, and while taking of the tape on the wings even managed to pull some paint of so i had to redo a lot of stuff :/

This is the latest.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/sinisterz83/20130115_1525351_zpsce5a370c.jpg

SinisterZ zoom lolz! and it must be handy working in a model shop! and i notice you use Valejo paints... i still have ALL the previous range of the GW paints and around 30 Valejo game colour paints including some metalics... i find them very good but have noticed if you dont shake the bottles well you get a slight satin/gloss look to some of the colours... only thing i didnt like about the Valejo game colours so far...

elphilo glad you maged to finished the build on your Nephilim... did you have any issues apart from the one you mentioned in the build? i found it quite straight forward... and i agree with you its the best GW flyer by a long way...

Cloud Runner... good to know that the main nose weapons can be simply swapped without magnets being needed but i might try for magnetized weapons on the next one i build... when are you building yours? and will you make the kit up as a Dark Talon or a Nephilim?

cielaq thanks for the info ~smiles~

SinisterZ hey Brother no worries there... feel free to post in here any progress on your build/painting of your Dark Talon but also make a thread in the WIP section as i am sure many people will be interested to see your progress... nice work so far... and i have also had issues when masking models for spray... i think the best stuff to use is the Tamiya masking tape but to be honest sometimes i have used sellotape with mixed results... looking good so far mate... keep pushing on...

peace

The thing with the vallejo game color range is that they dry a lot longer then then GW, While some of the GW bases cover and dry amazingly fast the only downside is having to clean the brushes a lot :) the tape i am using is the tamiya one. a lot more expencive then conventional paper tape but it does the job perfectly, altough i did manage to pull of some of the prime while pulling of the tape. The vallejo air range has some bottles like black, alluminium and steel cover with almost 1 stroke of the brush. game color ones for example yellow and other metal ones cover only after say 4 layers. the gloss/satin thing can be solved with spraying over a satin gloss afterwards. Its also best to do for a litte bit more wearing protection.

Vallejo also don't dry in the pot like GW does lol. Even GWs newer bottles don't retain a proper seal to have them stay fresh if you haven't opened the pot in 6 months or more. While most of the vallejo colors I haven't used in almost two years are still useable, just need a more vigourous shaking. Heck even privateer press paint pots stay useable longer than GW, as do reaper.

When I started building it, I had flash backs to the 2+ hours on the Storm Raven and Vendettas I have made in the past. Then about 40 mins later, it was done and I too was making the jet fighter noises. It was great :D

Owkay after experimenting a bit and screwing up a phew times by trying to spray thin lines I am going for a more easy approach and im gonna put my airbrush away and do the rest with brushes.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/sinisterz83/20130115_1656011_zps0b58faf6.jpg

So I just finished my Nephilim 10 minutes ago. And I was about to say I'm very upset that I couldn't magnetize the lascannon/avenger mega bolter. Then after letting it dry, I found that I could easily slip in and out the two different weapon load outs. Now I'm really hoping that it stays like that after I paint it lol biggrin.png

And yes, this is the best looking flyer by far. I loved the look of the storm raven (I have two sweat.gif ), but this blows it away IMO.

I've managed to magnetize the mega bolter and for the lascannons the magnets aren't needed. Also magnetizing wing loadouts is quite easy - as long as you use the smallest ones - 3 mm in diameter and 1 mm in thickness. I will post some pics in future :). I wondering, why GW didn't think about different loadout - i.e. 2 x twin-linked lascannons and hunter-killer missiles or usual krak missiles?

Archived