A (Relatively) Cheap Sisters Flyer

Sarducci

I am a big fan of Forge World, even though we Sisters players usually get very little. But what we get tends to be very good, such as the Repressors. Well, we have an excellent flyer, the Avenger. It takes a heavy support slot, but it is a beast. It is also about $140 from Forge World. Well, the new Dark Angel Nephelim Fighter is very similarly armed, and a very good proxy, with a little work. I picked up the Nephelim looking to use it as an Avenger for Sisters of Battle, which is armed with 2 Lascannons and a Vulcan Mega Blaster. With a quick swap of an extra Immolator pilot, and a removal/cover up of the Ravenwing Symbol, I think it will be close. Although I might use the shrine abd stained glass bits. I like the look, and it has encouraged me to go further. Just wanted to throw out the idea.

I had a couple from when I bought like, 4 Immolator sprues to bling up my Baneblade a few years ago. They don't sell them separately any more, sadly, and I've since used all of mine to build Inquisitors and Techpriests in those moments of boredom.

Whenever I buy any Rhino (be it SoB, SM, Whatever) I don't. Never buy a Rhino, always get an Immolator, Razorback, a Predator, whatever. You may need the bitz later in a new version, or you might need a few pilots for your flyer. In a pinch, get a female dark eldar torso, and put IG or SM scout arm and legs on it, and cut the head off a standard sister. The legs are mostly hidden, so it's a good, quick, and simple kitbash.

Also, you can just buy two new immolaters, bling them out as rhinos, and kep some bitz.

Furyou Miko, funny you mention it. I kit bashed 3 pilots together, using Tau legs that work well as a pilot, the Dark Eldar Wych torso, and IG arms. A couple heads from extra Immolator models, and 3 easy and cheap pilots. Now I just need to get 2 more Nephilems, and start building them.

• 2 weeks later...

i built a Avenger of the Ravenwing Dark Talon, it was extremly easy to fit the immolator driver to the cocpit of the plane.

and looks realy like the Avenger and the same weapons (you get the mega bolter and 2 laser cannons you can easyliy fit on the sides of the mega bolter). i can post picts of it if you want??

i built a Avenger of the Ravenwing Dark Talon, it was extremly easy to fit the immolator driver to the cocpit of the plane.and looks realy like the Avenger and the same weapons (you get the mega bolter and 2 laser cannons you can easyliy fit on the sides of the mega bolter). i can post picts of it if you want??

Yes please! Pictures!

Heres some picts of it smile.png still dont know if i should cut of the Tail and make the H shape the Avenger has

Weapon load out, Laser cannons need a little shaving on the sides to fit beside the mega bolter

avenger V

Belly, not much done exept sisters symbol instead of ravenwing:P

avenger U

Cocpit, the damn glas makes the pict look all mesed up... but its a sister in there sweat.gif

avenger C

(can post picts of how to fit the pilot and all that next weekend if you want?? (gonna make 1 more^^))

I cut of all the Turrent base of the Immolator driver.

so you end up with a pair of legs that matches the Space marin pilets real legs.

i saved some of the cloth hanging down from the seat so it realy looks... ehm... sisterly.

and if you want a How to guide i gladly do one :) but you have to wait till this weekend :P need to buy a plane and get home from work^^

• 1 year later...

What did you do about the defensive heavy stubber? and guessing you made i so it has missile launchers....  pretty expensive 190pts.... i wonder how easy it'd be to do without........ and what about the ravenwing symbol on the bottom tail fin?

Wow, that's pretty nice tbh.  Especially sense it comes with the lascannons on the sprews and at...about 3/4 the cost of the FW kit ( [uSD] $75 vs $90-100)

What did you do about the defensive heavy stubber? and guessing you made i so it has missile launchers....  pretty expensive 190pts.... i wonder how easy it'd be to do without........ and what about the ravenwing symbol on the bottom tail fin?

There's a couple of ways that It could be possible.  One source of inspiration could be WW2 bombers of all sizes

Missile pods should be pretty easy to skip out on since its a couple of separate bits. Just don't put them on and it'll look fine.

Well if the missile pods are optional that's great, At least it's something to keep in mind if I want to expand from my SoB kill team.

For my (never finished, to my shame) version, I used a different tail entirely;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/avenger011_zps22cc7501.jpg

I snipped off the existing tailfin and added the ends from a spare Rhino side hull to the ends of the tailplane to echo the actual Avenger model. The reason I never finished the conversion is because I never could quite figure out how to do the rear stubber.

I kept a little more of the Immolator turret than nzz, I think, leaving the control panels in place so that the arms would be easier to use... oh. Uh. That's the other reason I never finished it. >< I already used up the torso and arms that go with that baseplate to make an Inquisitor...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/avenger010_zpsfb53d7b6.jpg

Mmmmm .... Just spent £358 on more sisters ... My problem would be what do I drop cos I have 6 Heavy Support slots filled for my 3000pts army lol

I thought you got 9 at that points level?

The heavy stubber is a good point, evenm if its never used,

Just the one bother with replacing this flyers is that it is already a very nice kit witha  distinctive look, I don't think the DA flyer is a good replacement for this, has to many markings and does not have a sisters feel.

Good call on replacing the cockpit, I do it to mine as well.

The one complaint i have though is that the Avenger has 4 weapons already as nothing is twin linked, that said the heavy stubber never gets used but all weapons you buy are in pairs so any choice means you are now down one weapon which is a right pain as you can only fire 4 which normally leads to me taking autocannons and only firing a single lascannon which sill feels like a waste.

That's why bombs are good - they don't count as firing a weapon.

Technically you can have as many heavy support slots as you like. All you need to unlock 3 more is 180 points of canoness + 2 BSS with no upgrades.

i find keeping i basic is best though the stubber fires separately to the rest so technically can fire 5 weapons but the 5th has to be he stubber sad.png

bombs don;t count towards the weapon limit? that's pretty cool didn't notice that change... will double check.... though 6 bombs when you can only drop one at a time is a bit sucky :(

For my (never finished, to my shame) version, I used a different tail entirely;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/avenger011_zps22cc7501.jpg

I snipped off the existing tailfin and added the ends from a spare Rhino side hull to the ends of the tailplane to echo the actual Avenger model. The reason I never finished the conversion is because I never could quite figure out how to do the rear stubber.

I kept a little more of the Immolator turret than nzz, I think, leaving the control panels in place so that the arms would be easier to use... oh. Uh. That's the other reason I never finished it. >< I already used up the torso and arms that go with that baseplate to make an Inquisitor...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/avenger010_zpsfb53d7b6.jpg

how did you do the wings? can i see the under-side?

That's why bombs are good - they don't count as firing a weapon.

Technically you can have as many heavy support slots as you like. All you need to unlock 3 more is 180 points of canoness + 2 BSS with no upgrades.

Thought bombs did count, well this changes things. :D

Thought you could drop as many bombs as you like in a single run?

I thought it was up to four weapons and six bombs... I may need to reread the flier rules? ^^;

cypher - there's not much to see on the bottom, just the bottom edge of the wing butting up against the side of the engine nacelle. I built a rigge under the normal wing mounting that the wing would sit flush against, then just glued it to that along the edge. It's not as secure as I'd like, to be honest, but I haven't figured out where to put a metal pin in.

bombs count as one of the four weapons it's just used in the movement phase instead and a bombing run is only one bomb.... so much for this....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/B-17G_42-31684_Joker-774th_Bomb_Squadron.jpg

and that was the 1940s..... should be more dakka and more boom in the 40k bombs...... sad.png

To be fair, in 40k I'm just glad they still know how to fly in the first place. If it was accurate we should have more ICBM's and missiles in general then bombs :p

I picked one up from a friend who bought it for his DA army. He (mostly) assembled it, tried it in battle, then decided it wasn't worth it and sold it to me for $50.

My conversion skills are not all that great, so it still mostly looks like a DA plane.sad.png When it's finished, it'll have SoB colors and insignia.

The heavy stubber was easy, I just took a Chimera lasgun, (left over from one of the four old school Hellhounds I have,) cut the ball mount in half and glued it to the rear hull behind the cockpit. Then I glued a heavy stubber barrel to the mount, along with something to represent a targeting array, and called it good.

The cockpit is even easier. Again, my conversion skills are not all that good, plus I didn't have any sitting SoB figures, so I just took a Sharpie to the inside of the cockpit canopy. Makes it look like heavily tinted glass that you can't see through.

Archived