Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

either 2 or 4. 2 is how i'd imagine him being told to start the engines when he hasn't even finished tea, and 4 would be much the same but i'd imagine the phrase 'old bean' being added at the end :tongue.: good work though kierdale. can't wait to see the rest of it. 

Thank you, gents.

Number four it is then! :) Aquila helm and masterful beard.

The Empire Pistoliers kit has some excellent bitz in it, not only the heads. I'll see what other bitz I can cram onto the Chimera. Deck chairs on the back might be a stretch...

Thank you both.

Some of the other spare Pistoliers heads are going to be used on Cadian bodies and will have their armour painted silver rather than green: my CCS needs some boys with more shine...and heavier weapons (rather than the Mordian lasgun-wielders I currently have). They should go with my Empire Duelist-turned-CCS officer nicely.

As for the Chimera (WIP photos this weekend I hope) some of the hooks on the back for attaching the rear ramp were broken so the ramp's going to have to be glued shut. On the bright side it means I didn't have to attach the diamond-stamped plate on the back of the ramp...I'm sure that will come in useful in some conversion down the line.

Putting track guards atop (and covering part of the front) of the chimera's tracks, I didn't need to use two of the long sections of tank tracks. Now, I want to put some of these (cut off the long strip, and drilled out where the bolts would be) on the hull as carried spare tracks...

My questions are:

a. where to put them? On a side? On the front plate (perhaps the downward-facing bit)?

b. how to attach them? Simply glue them on and claim it's some kind of mag-lock? Make a little mesh-cage/frame?

Thanks, Warrior Fish.

I finished making the Chimera today, though may add more stowage later. And there's the shield to add to the right side of the turret at the very end, as with all my armour.

Hull weapons are exchangeable. HK missile and dozer blade can be removed, as can the turret heavy stubber.

med_gallery_63428_8145_68545.jpg

Close up of the turret. Commander got his left hand replaced with one holding a pipe.

med_gallery_63428_8145_44664.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_96863.jpg

Put a bigger comm on rather than the one that comes in the Chimera kit. I think this one is from the Tank Accessories sprue.

Refreshments for the officers within.

med_gallery_63428_8145_67380.jpg

And I did make a rack to hold three pieces of spare track.

med_gallery_63428_8145_639.jpg

Very nice indeed, it'll look even better with paint on too :D All the extra details really make it pop, it's something I'll get round to on my vehicles but I can barely find the time to do anything never mind the luxury of going back to models that are table ready :(

Very nice indeed, it'll look even better with paint on too :biggrin.: All the extra details really make it pop, it's something I'll get round to on my vehicles but I can barely find the time to do anything never mind the luxury of going back to models that are table ready :sad.:

I'm spraying now, I'm spraying now! `that make you happy?! :biggrin.:

And thank you, leinmann

This makes four vehicles for my IG now, more than I've had in any single army to date. Hopefully I can put lessons learned in the past into practice on this one. I think I'll see if I can stipple the edge of the camo scheme on rather than using a sponge as I did in the past, but if it doesn't look the same they I'll be sponging again.

Will be using Mechanicus Standard Grey for my sponge-weathering on this one, with some Boltgun added to the middle of larger areas rather than just Boltgun as before (must redo the other Chimera, Russ and Medusa sometime. Sometime....).

I'll be happy when I can see pictures of it painted :laugh.:

Undercoating it now. :smile.:

While the spray is drying, I had a look at the other parts on the Empire Pistoliers sprue... there are some capes and coats modelled to be flying out in the wind behind the riders, which made me think that they would look excellent on a commander (or a whole command squad) stood atop a high rock.

Thus I quickly threw this together for fun...imagine him atop a heroic rock. I think he looks far better with a coat over his shoulders than Creed does!

med_gallery_63428_8145_2490.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_89832.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_58636.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_11540.jpg

I'm not actually going to make him like that...yet. I might do so if I get another Pistoliers kit in the future. Might even use the Aquila helm-head that I gave the Chimera commander above...sand off the emblem on his breastplate and replace it with an Aquila (I'll be doing that anyway). Add a small Aquila onto the sword blade...

Other than that, the Pistoliers come with the following strange weapon. I have no idea what it does in WHFB, but it's going to be a melta-bomb launcher on my Rough Rider sergeant. I'll be sticking an aquila on it and probably a purity seal (so it doesn't blow up in the sergeant's face).

med_gallery_63428_8145_51880.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_53694.jpg

Edited by Kierdale

Yes, I think it needs to be made!

...but I will with the next box of Pistoliers I get. This box is going to be my rough riders.

When I get some more I'll do that officer. Perhaps with the Aquila helm and a feather atop it.

The legs are actually from the Great Cannon kit. My brother got me -at my request- the Pistoliers for my birthday and the GW staff told him that the cannon would go well with them. I don't need a great cannon -it's a bit too low tech- but I figure with a bi of GS filling, the cannon itself would make for a very ornate Leman Russ battle cannon.

The crew, well, one pair of legs (the most dynamic) will go toward that officer, the rest perhaps servants. We'll see. There's a lot of nice little bitz in there too.

As for the Chimera, I got the black undercoat done last night, using up the last of my black spray. I've never done zenithal highlighting or anything like that but I do have some white undercoat left so I thought I might give it a try: hit it with some white from a high angle and see how it goes. Never know if you don't try.

Edited by Kierdale

i think you could easely convert it into a good looking heavy mortar!

build it like the normal mortar, but add the canon barrel to increase it's length. it would fit in with the mordian sheme without any problems in my opinion, as long as you give it a drak enough paintsheme

perhaps it could be as easy as to add a simple gunshield,similar to those on the earthshaker carriages to give it a more 40k vibe

Edited by hendrik

its been a while since i had my empire stuff out of the box, cant remember the detailing too well but if the size is right maybe add it to a russ as you suggested. possibly do a lot more detailing to that particular tank and give it a long history, a character tank with it will not die?

the "tankname" is several thousand years old, blessed by saint "wotsisname" before the battle of "lotsofpeopledied", since that holy day the "tankname" has shrugged off the fire power of xenos and heretic alike type thing

nice work on the racking, is it just paperclips?

Thanks, guys. Yes, I think I'll convert the great cannon to be a Russ barrel some time in the future. Do up the tank really fancy, as you said, Radu.

And yes, that track rack is just paperclips, with a winged skull decoration from the Chimera kit.

I undercoated the Chimera black then, as an experiment, hit it with white from a high angle from the APC's left.

med_gallery_63428_8145_69586.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_69295.jpg

However, after basecoating it Deathworld Forest, and drybrushing Cadian Green, I can't see that it had any effect. Perhaps if I'd been airbrushing the green on it would have been different. Lesson learned.

med_gallery_63428_8145_59148.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_52332.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_138191.jpg

Anyway, next will be brown, as per the camo scheme done on my first Chimera, Russ and the Medusa.

Recently I've been thinking I need a Manticore or two...and a Vendetta...

But then again I have so much still to put together, and paint. No more model buying this year!

Best to save up for the new codex and toys which come out with it...

Recently I've been thinking I need a Manticore or two...and a Vendetta...

But then again I have so much still to put together, and paint. No more model buying this year!

Best to save up for the new codex and toys which come out with it...

trying to stick with something like that myself, only buy stuff that i need to get current models complete, still on ebay everyday etc

Thanks.

As for the white, I think I said 'zenithal highlighting' earlier but I got my terms wrong. I meant 'colour modulation', something I'd briefly read about and thought I'd give a try. Seems I mixed up the two techniques a little and came out with nothing new :D

For a proper look at colour modulation there's a great article (part of a great blog on scale armour painting) here:

http://migjimenez.blogspot.jp/2011/06/modulation-and-weathering.html?m=1

I am looking forward to dirtying up the command Chimera once all the painting is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'll have some more images of the command chimera to post on Monday or Tuesday as it's coming along well. I'm onto the metallics and some weathering now.

I've also been slowly working on my roughriders.
The sergeant is complete but for the Sleepy Hollowness :wink:

med_gallery_63428_8145_46484.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_24168.jpg

Armed with lance, holstered laspistol (visible in the second photo, Aquila on the holster) and sticky (melta) bomb launcher in his right hand. He also has an (etched brass) Aquila on his breastplate.

Two of the riders will be armed with these meltaguns...still WIP: need to add an Aquila where I removed the workings of the Fantasy rifle, and I'm going to remove a little bit of the metal gun (behind the curve at the bottom where that little pipe goes from the tank into the body of the weapon. That little bit of resin there, in front of his left hand, just doesn't look right to me).

med_gallery_63428_8145_4999.jpg