my list was declared overpowered!?

Ozeryk_Sleipnijr

I have been playing a +250pts escalation game from 400 to 1000 pts against a Death Guard company called the Host of Corrosion. I won all the games except for the first one. My last list at 1000 pts was comprised of the following :

3 x 10 GH including all the essentials such as the Wolfbanner, plasma, flamethrower and Wulfen

2 x 6 LF 4 x rocketlaunchers, 1 x laser cannon

1 x Runepriest, Runic armour + the Raven and Prophecy ( i dice crap & this helps)

This is what I would call the most basic of battlefield companies at a 1000 pts. I have had a lot of experience playing other modern warfare games like Advanced Squad Leader and one the reasons I like 40k, are the scenarios.

Now my opponent wants me to weaken my list. I however dont accept that my list is so beardy that it won on his own without me having had to to think.

Have any of you experienced this? is this an accusation that SW players often have to deal with? I am in good mind to design a nurgle list and then let him play my List........

I would argue that the following is the back bone of any 1000 pt SW army...

2x 10 GH

1x 6 LF

1x RP

That you added one more GH and LF should not be shocking.  You are picking a troop and a support. 

Sorry not sure what else you could do and would suggest your opponent get out in the tourney scene and see some skilled generals with OP stuff can do.  And please I am not saying that you are not amazing, just that your list clearly lacks many bells and whistles that many 40k armies do utilize.

Hope that make sense.

What he is complaining about is something that you can't do anything about- SW are just cheaper then other space marines when you lean on grey hunters and longfangs.

For example, you are about 25-30% cheaper then a HH Pride of Legion force. One of the selling points I use to play 30k games. Here is a HH list. Here is a SW list with 30% more toys. Which one do you wish to fight?

If you want to make your list softer, take some blood claws. Figure one in three blood claws live to be a grey hunter... and have 2-3 blood claws per grey hunter. Still cheaper, but there will be less complaints.

SW aren't necrons, but they are are one of the better armies out there.

"Please I am not saying you are not amazing" LOL. Easy dude i am not that good :-)

So in essence point for point your basic 1000pts of SW is one of the best in 40k. I reckon its the LF that piss most of my opponents off. Whens our codex getting an update

I've found that between the Fire Control Long Fangs and Counter-Attack Grey Hunters I've had a few people state wolves as cheesy, that said, people certainly quieten down when they face the fact that 3 Players in the locale are big-time Necrons, running at least 1 Doom Barge thingy and a couple of Doom Scythes in a 1k-1.5k list, once we hit 1.5-2k they run the flying things and Tomb Spyders spawning scarabs all the time...

I would ask you opponent what exactly he feels is OP compared to running a current DG army (all units w/ Mark of Nurgle = T5 Marines with FNP!! and 3+ Save) <- I don't see how his units being a little more pricey (which can be upgraded to Vets of Long War = Hatred (Space Marines of ALL Types inc. Wolves), yet having a save vs AP1/2 weaponry and no ID vs anything less than S10 is so bad?!?

I wouldn't say that... There are certainly 1000 point lists that could go toe to toe with your list, and there are some that would be a downright nightmare to play against.

I think the real issue is that Chaos Marines seem to be the odd guys out in regards to the trend of cheaper infantry (13 point tactical marines who don't have to pay the sergeant tax if they don't want to vs. 15 point Chaos Space Marines who do. What?). Also, he may be falling into the trap of making a 5th edition list in 6th edition. If he hasn't taken some of the new stuff, I'm not surprised he's having trouble.

Really, given the direction the Dark Angels codex took, I think it's likely grey Hunters will stay the same price, but lose the discounts on special weapons (and the free one at 10 strength). Blood Claws ought to drop significantly, though. Long Fangs seem to have set the new standard for Heavy Weapons teams, so they're probably going to stay as is.

Tanith Ghost, on 30 Jan 2013 - 10:24, said:

I can think of quite a few MoN lists that would be able to take that down. Your opponent, if he really thinks that list is OP, should get some help online.

Agreed. Your list is smoking ruins the turn he fields a Helldrake with Baleflamer. S6/AP3/Torrent Flamer on a Flyer. He'll destroy one unit per turn because you have no place to hole up and you have no effective counter-attack.

Or for similar points he could run a beastly Daemon Prince with a AP3 Flamer who then charges into you slaughtering as he goes...

point being that there are LOTS of thing that could be put into either a Nurgle list or a Wolves list that could make them very dirty and hard to beat.

Thanx for the comments, i feel vindicated. i will however build in blood wolves (BS 3 WS3 ) and take out one GH & LF pack. though I can still see some really nasty combos with a wolfpriest. I wont make a dork list just to please my opponent though. The young wolves fit in with the fluff but its stll no reason to sell my battle company short

Your list is pretty standard to what I would run at 1000 points.  Your opponent should definitely consider some new tactics or a new list if he cannot beat you.  Maybe as it  escalates, the tables will turn. And there is plenty he can run that will make things very difficult for you. If he is a crybaby, don't give him any advice. If he keeps crying, bring thunderwolves.

Granted, we are a very economical army. And everything I want to do with my list, I can... except fliers/anti-air.

I am in good mind to design a nurgle list and then let him play my List........

Do this.  It'll be fun for the both of you, and will likely teach your opponent a valuable lesson.

Valerian

I can't see what's so cheesy when you're opponent picks DEATHGUARD! Jeez is he just pissed that plague marines are no longer troop selections or what!

You're list is a little spammy but then again ALL of my lists usually get slagged off for being spammy and I still see no problems with 5 squads of deathwing terminators with identical wargear.

Next time play a Logan Grimnar deathstar and see what he thinks of that!

your list is far from overpowered.

as others have said there are loads of other things you can do to be way more cheesy.

also on the point about no skyfire.  I run 2 rune priests that both take divination.  giving my long fangs re-rolls to hit is great because it generally means that in a turn of shooting i will get 1 or 2 hits on a flyer.  with missiles and lascannons this is usually leaving 1 dead flier.  

as others have said there are loads of other things you can do to be way more cheesy.

also on the point about no skyfire.  I run 2 rune priests that both take divination.  giving my long fangs re-rolls to hit is great because it generally means that in a turn of shooting i will get 1 or 2 hits on a flyer.  with missiles and lascannons this is usually leaving 1 dead flier.  

Then you've been incredibly lucky.  A Long Fang pack with 2 Lascannons and 3 Missile Launchers, re-rolling to-hits because of divination, average chances are:

# of Hull Points caused against

- AV 10 = 1.38

- AV 11 = 1.12

- AV 12 = 0.87

chances of Destroying a vehicle

- AV 10 = 27.16%

- AV 11 = 21.22%

- AV 12 = 15.28%

Then you've been incredibly lucky.  A Long Fang pack with 2 Lascannons and 3 Missile Launchers, re-rolling to-hits because of divination, average chances are:

# of Hull Points caused against

- AV 10 = 1.38

- AV 11 = 1.12

- AV 12 = 0.87

chances of Destroying a vehicle

- AV 10 = 27.16%

- AV 11 = 21.22%

- AV 12 = 15.28%

Not that lucky when I'm firing 2 squads at them.  you only have to immobilise a zooming flier to destroy it and even a weapon destroyed in most cases is enough to render them useless.

FYI i dont rely solely on this tactic, i also have an aegis with a quad gun or twin linked las. but that will usualy shoot at other fliers.

Not that lucky when I'm firing 2 squads at them.  you only have to immobilise a zooming flier to destroy it and even a weapon destroyed in most cases is enough to render them useless.

Immobilized results don't Destroy a Zoom Flyer, it simply Locks their Velocity. Also, most flyer have more than 1 weapon (with the notable exception of the Helldrake).

you are right about the immobilisation, my bad.  However most flyers, even the best flyers in the game, don't have that many guns.  I mean the vendetta has the most guns but these are just heavy bolters or missiles, hardly something to worry about.  We have taken things off topic here somewhat. i was just saying in my experience i have not had that much of a problem with fliers.

on the Topic of over powered i would create a truly overpowered list and then play him.  he will probably be begging you to go back to your old list in no time!!

yes they do but if you start destroying weapons the chances are it will be lascannons that are disappearing.  At the end of the day it is 3 shots they can get off.  most non-vehicle units should be receiving some sort of save (probably cover) so they are not the most devastating thing in the world.

also i never run vehicles in 6th as the majority are too easy to pop now.  if a vendetta has no vehicle to shoot at then it is taking pot shots at troops.

Archived