Dark Angels, snubbed on fliers?

Xyon

HV i agree with you that the thread op is a bit of a pity party. I think the only reason that people are a little bummed is that it stings a little to get a new codex have lots of great units but when it comes to the new aerial combat department.... Kinda falls flat. Then to have others aerial defense boosted with the third best flyer in the game (raven), and a points drop on the cheapest (talon)... Well it begs the question, if rules sell models, why should i buy the DA flyer? I dont think that theres anything wrong with what you say, but we all need to have a group cry, hugs all around, repeat the dark angel anonymous mantra, and then leave our support group to re-enter the world anew.

On a positive note how long did it take for them to faq the helldrake? 4 months or so right? So perhaps we can expect a boost to the blacksword missles by then.

PS. HV you can cry on my shoulder whenever your ready. ;)

Don't get me wrong. Overall, I'm really happy with our new, shiny codex. I don't think it's underpowered, we got a serious boost to our efficiency. More so, I'm on the verge of thinking the Black Knights are kinda OP. With our new book, we can easily compete with most armies. The only beef I have are our flyers. For a new book and recent FAQs/updates, I find them literally insulting.

I'm also fully aware of the fact that Space Wolves are in a worse position. But it does not change my opinion - I'd rather have no flyers than be given two crippled ones with some horrendous pricetag. It just feels like "F*** you, Dark Angels. We found some broken toys nobody else wanted. You can have them, just don't touch the working ones".

As an aside, this does mean we can get a Gate of Infinity Librarian (for non-scattering Belial abuse) and a Stormraven in a single Allies contingent now. msn-wink.gif So it's still good news for us!

EDIT: I take it back, non-scattering Belial doesn't work because the SM Librarian won't have Gate of Infinity, but given the amount of Teleport Homers in a Dark Angels army (especially if you slap a Locator Beacon on the Stormraven too), you will be flipping out all over the place with TL Deathwing all day every day. Or at least any turn where Shadow in the Warp or Eldar trickery doesn't flummox the Librarian.

Given the theme of this thread is anyone else amused by the fact that the new errata for Death From The Skies refers to Dark Angels at the bottom of the page?

https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3050214a_Death_From_the_Skies_v1.0%E2%80%93FEBRUARY13.pdf

Maybe they should release an errata for the errata. wallbash.gif

Given the theme of this thread is anyone else amused by the fact that the new errata for Death From The Skies refers to Dark Angels at the bottom of the page?

https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3050214a_Death_From_the_Skies_v1.0%E2%80%93FEBRUARY13.pdf

Maybe they should release an errata for the errata. wallbash.gif

LOL GW great editing and writing prowess strikes again.

... but we all need to have a group cry, hugs all around, repeat the dark angel anonymous mantra, and then leave our support group to re-enter the world anew.

This support group, do we have to sit in a circle? whistlingW.gif

... but we all need to have a group cry, hugs all around, repeat the dark angel anonymous mantra, and then leave our support group to re-enter the world anew.

The first rule of Dark Angels is... YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CIRCLES!

We did not get snubbed, we just did not get Air Superiority fighters.

We did get the best Ground Support Aircraft available, besides our Speeders. For an extra 25 points we have the same Armour +1 HP, an additional weapon, Strafing Run, and Unrelenting Hunter.

Don't discount our TAC, Scout & DEV Missile Launchers, we get Flakk. I am not sure any other SM's get that option. I know C:SM does not. Seems "Balanced" to me. Do any other SM factions have any AAA?

If you want a CAS, Allie with SM's, get the Talon. That is what I do.

The first rule of Dark Angels is... YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CIRCLES!

We have to sit in several circles, one inside the other. Then the people in the middle talk really quietly so as you move out you can hear less and less, leaving the people round the outside wondering what the hell is really going on! ;)

Here's the real question that will make a determination on whether the DA did get snubbed in some way: when new Marine Codexes come out, will they get all the equivalent AAA the DA Codex got and keep their new flyer plus possibly get more, and leave the DA the same? Luckily the C:SM really doesn't need to be updated for 6th, with this flyer supplement they already have been (they don't need Flakk missiles at this point), so I'd really like to see GW work on the Codexes that actually need updates this edition and leave the C:SM the way they are until 7th Edition comes around. If C:SM really has a problem not having Flakk, then THEY can ally DA into their army.

The BT getting the Storm Raven makes sense, IMO, because they basically made a flying LRC, which we know the BT had first (so I think it kinda plays to that theme), but the C:SM didn't need it (they got enough with the points cost drop on the Talon). I really don't care about the Allies option, I won't ever use it.

We did not get snubbed, we just did not get Air Superiority fighters.

We did get the best Ground Support Aircraft available, besides our Speeders. For an extra 25 points we have the same Armour +1 HP, an additional weapon, Strafing Run, and Unrelenting Hunter.

Don't discount our TAC, Scout & DEV Missile Launchers, we get Flakk. I am not sure any other SM's get that option. I know C:SM does not. Seems "Balanced" to me. Do any other SM factions have any AAA?

If you want a CAS, Allie with SM's, get the Talon. That is what I do.

I disagree about the nephilim/dark talon being the best ground attack aircraft. maybe forth or fifth on that list. The raven, talon, helldrake, and valkerie are all better at that job. And the neph/dark talon are dead last in the anti-air department. The only thing their best at is the model. I think its the best non-FW flier.

Ive used my neph in 5 games so far. The nicest thing I can say about it is, underwhelming. I've come to the point that I believe it is a total waste of points. Its a shame really cause I love the model.

As for all the flak missiles available for our Greenwing. Id be willing to bet the smurfs will get the same thing.

Everyones talking about the Nephilim.

But I've had nothing but great success running the Dark Talon (I have it magnetized).

Examples:  Was playing doubles but you can do similar things in a singles game

Dark Talon flies on turn 2 - drops a bomb on a group of storm guardians and howling banshees - team mate multi charges them with a guard blob and mops the floor.

Same turn - Dark Talon Fires at Tau - Tau fail blind check - BAM tau shooting gets much worse - and ontop of it rapid fire bolters are good for killing infantry I hear.

Talon is mediocre on its own but as great synergy in the army. Large blast on the cannon would make it much better for the cost.

Nephilin is just underwhelming all round. Needs something like ordnance on the missiels or +1s plus a points drop nearer to the talon.

Archived