The gate aflame - A Black Legion Log *Update 7/3/15

Sith’ari

Cheers all!

@Tarvick: The bases are super simple. First I basecoat them with some watered down Balor brown. Then its just a drybush of Zandri dust followed by a light drybrush of Tyrant skull. Tuftwise i go for Mordeim turf, but anything will work as its a nice neutral scheme, so just tuft to taste! :D

Cheers mate! At the moment I'm finishing up my ETL vow so up next is a forge fiend, followed by some noise marines.

Not sure what I'll paint after that little lo, but I have been feeling the urge to paint a land raider! B)

• 1 month later...

Oops! Sorry mate, I havent been on the forum since last Friday so I missed your post. but I do have a small update to make up for it! biggrin.png

So, the ETL was in full swing. My own vow was coming along nicely and Chaos was winning. Everything was looking rosey annnnd then Khorne decided he wanted a tribute (remember guys cut AWAY from yourselves!happy.png ) So in the end my ETL was a bust.

But I did finish my forge fiend! So here he is:

Grendyl

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/a59a526b-b228-4754-af7f-46883012e8f4_zps23fd38a6.jpg

I wanted him to look like a really ancient fiend. As though he'd been destroyed and reformed so many times that even the normally timeless daemonic essence itself carried the weight of its years. So, I went for a lot of heavily weathered metallics, instead of the bronze I normally go for on my warmachines - hopefully it gets the idea across!cool.png

As for the other stuff, I have alot on the table that I'm hoping to get finished up pretty soon. Including 2 Land Raiders, 10 Noise Marines, a Helbrute and the Slaaneshi sorceror for the second daemon pact. So hopefully updates will not be far away!

Cheers!

Cheers guys! I've been on more of a modelling spree rather than a painting one recently so it feels good to be back in the painting chair! biggrin.png

Dude, it has been a while since your last update, and I'm glad to see that your tragic wound left your painting skills unscathed.

Haha! Thanks mate, though it wasnt that bad. Just a slice across the palm that meant I could'nt close my hand for a week. Nothing too serious but pretty annoying! laugh.png

So after this lot has been cleared from the table, I'm thinking that its time to paint something big. But I can't decide between a knight or a shadowsword. They both look like so much fun to paint!

• 5 months later...

Once again, the thread that just won't stay down rises from it's grave!

So it's been a while since I last posted in here, but I thought it was time to update this thread and let you all know whats happening for me chaos-wise this year.cool.png

Starting next week, a good friend and I are finally starting up the old skool narrative campaign, that we have been threatening to do for about forever. It was at this point that I realised that, of the 1200pts of Sororitas I was trying to paint for the campaign, I had only painted 100pts... Time to dig out the Black Legion! laugh.png

After quickly running through my cases, I've come up with a list of stuff I want to achieve with them this year;

1. Rebase everything! I've decided that I reaaaally like the new 32mm bases and I want to move everything over to them ASAP. This also means that I get the chance to update my army's frankly quite boring base scheme, to something a little more exciting.
  2. Get to da Rhino! Last year I painted a fair few infantry squads, but not their transports. So now my supposedly mech army, is looking distinctly un-mechy. Solution: Paint more transports!
  3. New units for the unit god! Fairly simple this one. Paint more dudes!

I've already got a new sorceror and a unit of spawn ready for basing. I've also started work on moving everything over to the bases, so expect pics and a proper update in the next couple of days! cool.png

Ahaha! Wow!

Its time for my first finished BL units since August. Jeez, I had no idea it's been that long since I painted something chaosy - something I hope to fix this year! cool.png

First up, heres a unit of nurgle spawn:

The Blighted Few

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/25b53313-4388-4fdf-bf09-3c28864b5220_zpslvxvlzef.jpg

I've wanted these models in my army ever since they were released for that crazy, square based game. They were a blast to paint and although they dont look traditionally spawny, I like to think of them as mindless husks cursed (blessed?) by Ol' papa N, to walk the battlefields of the imperium for eternity.

I've also painted up a new sorcerer:

Kor'sag'toth

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/c8a1ff6b-a189-4424-a588-3c8d62e5ec71_zpsylyrn3or.jpg

A creature originally discovered by the Gate Aflame in the 36th Millennium. None can say with any certainty just what it is, only that wherever he walks, malefic entities walk with him.

Cheers! cool.png

Ahaha! Thanks mate.

It's from the Avatars of war totallynotchaos range, which I'd definitely recommend checking out for all of your sorceror or Lord needs. B)

As I was completely knackered when I typed up my last post, I forgot to mention that I've also rebased roughly half of my army so far and I'm now completely in love with the new 32mm bases! They really help to make marine models stand out.

Very nice. Love the blight-kings as spawn, may do the same myself one day. Only thing iffy about them is that they don't look especially fast, but that's not much of a problem considering that the actual spawn models don't look that fast, either.

I love the black and yellow scheme so much. I stick with my black and purple for the sake of my Sons of Sek, who get all the black/yellow, but it's such a striking sight, even more so when it's as nicely painted as your stuff, Sith'ari.

• 1 month later...

Sure thing mate - always happy to help out a fellow legionaire! biggrin.png

So the bronze is mostly all done with the new GW paints:

1) Basecoat with screaming bell.

2) Wash with reikland fleshshade.

3) Layer on some hashut copper.

4) Give it a heavy drybrush with sycorax bronze.

5) Wash it again with some heavily watered down Army Painter strong tone. This is basically the same stuff as the old devlan mud and will produce a much better effect than agrax earthshade for this bit.

6) Finally, give it a light drybrush with runefang steel and voila! All done.

Hope that helps! B)

Archived