Iron Warriors painting issues

Dar'kir

Ok, so I've been painting my Iron warrior army for about a month now. Lots of silver, brass, and yellow chevrons... So, need some ideas for how to make these guys really stand out. Any suggestions??

FYI; this is the step by step for my army:

1) Boltgun Metal

2) Dry brush Mithril

3) Detail basecoated ie: pouches, chevrons, etc

4) Detail highlihted

5) Wash Nulin Oil

6) Re-highlight detail

7) Paint bases

Again, comments are welcome, and needed.

if you do the mithril armor highlight after the wash, it looks like greasy polished armor plate.

think about the details:

- Perturabo was said to be dark-skinned and olympians probably had an olive tan, but bionics and void environment would have bleached that to a stone-grey.

- I found a poisonous light green to work great with the color scheme for warp/light effects

- IW worked closely together with dark mechanicus and khornate troops, so a little red cloth or blood might be in place here and there

- Olympia and Lochos are greek names, so look it up on wiki and get inspired by historical ornamentation like meanders, greek letters, etc.

if you do the mithril armor highlight after the wash, it looks like greasy polished armor plate.

think about the details:

- Perturabo was said to be dark-skinned and olympians probably had an olive tan, but bionics and void environment would have bleached that to a stone-grey.

- I found a poisonous light green to work great with the color scheme for warp/light effects

- IW worked closely together with dark mechanicus and khornate troops, so a little red cloth or blood might be in place here and there

- Olympia and Lochos are greek names, so look it up on wiki and get inspired by historical ornamentation like meanders, greek letters, etc.

I've also been working with the idea that Purturabo and his sons have a somewhat Mediterranean appearance. The Greek references help reinforce that idea, as well as providing you a good place to start when finding names (my counts as Abaddon is called Hephaestus, after the Greek god of the forge).

Painting wise, I'd also look for a spot colour, which is great for drawing attesion to a dark tone force like the Iron Warriors.  For me this was the yellow/black stripe on the weapons & blue glowing effect on the eyes or plasma weapons.
See White Dwarf (UK)  367, while it mainly about the Warhammer Fantasy undead army, there lot of great tip to take away from this, as it was painted by the GW Hobby team & talk about spot colour helping tie a army together.

You could also try the verdigris effect on the metalic which can be found on the "how to paint citadel miniatures" page 46.  This could show the warp having a effect on the Iron Warriors armour & add contrast?

You should also post a photo of your current Iron Warriors models

Hope that helps

Thanks for the input. I m going to try to get some pics up, having camera issuses at the moment. Dig the idea of darker skin tones should work well. I ll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again.

Archived