Chaplain and I.Chap, Are they worth it?

Slavik

Are Chaplains or Interrogator Chaplains worth taking?

I've been working on my 2000 pt since the codex has come out. I run mostly Deathwing with tact sqds for support. Whenever I start making a list with a Chaplain or IC, he gets cut. Sometimes, I replace him with a Librarian who's cheaper and gives me the reroll to hit. 

Has anyone used one? Is he worth the points?

I'm in a simiar camp; I want to take one because he looks cool but when point get tight  I also keep cutting him.

We already are great at face punching so my conciderationi is not overkilling the opponent so I can finish him off in his turn.

The Libby helping shooting is where we need the help most (first turn after DS).

The Chappie just doesn't suit my play style but I'd also like to hear of others opinions/experiences.

s

I have come across the same problem. I've been trying to find a way to fit a chaplain in my Dark Angels army since I find them a very fluffy unit for the army. A librarian give you re-rolls on all your attacks until your next turn, and he does it for cheaper. The Chaplains only give you re-rolls if you charge. The bigger problem is that chaplains across the board got nerfed in 6th edition, but back on topic.

So to quickly answer question, no, they are probably not worth the points. You can get the same wargear option that both Chaplians get through a Librarian for much cheaper, and as I mentioned above, all your attacks get re-roll until your next turn: shooting and close combat.

The chaplain isn't but an interrogator chaplain is simply for the mace of redemption and Auspex. I run mine on a bike with mace, Auspex, lions roar. Works great and I'm stoked to have an effective home brew IC. Lions roar does cost an attack but the few times I've used it the damage output was worth it to increase my alpha strike potential and hate makes up for it.

I love the interrigator chappy! I posted in another thread, but I like to put him in the Deathwing knights squad and give him Crozius, Mace of redemption, and terminator armor.

He meshes so well with the knights, automatically giving them hatred. I like that a lot more than prescience, as it can't be blocked by other things, and there is no chance to blow your warlord's own head up through perils. Also, his 5 AP3 attacks can pick up some slack against power armor while the knightmaster is busy with the sergeant.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is for an LRC transport. fixed after posts below this pointed out the problem of it

I agree that giving an IC the Mace of redemption and terminator armor is pretty sweet; however, he costs 180ish.  For that amount of points, you can run Belial. Also, I find it difficult to deep strike close combat terminators without Belial.  You want to put the models close to the opponent so they can get in CC but you don't want to scatter and mishap. If you mishap, you could loose close to 600 pts (assuming a 10 man squad). I always put Belial with my CC termies. I neatplace my entire squad 1" away from his units. Next turn, I am practically guaranteed to be in charge range.

A squad of shooting terminators don't have to be as precise. They have a 24in range.

Would anyone be willing to risk loosing a squad of DW knights plus a IC with equipment to the chance of deep strike? When would you take an IC over Belial in the squad?

Would anyone be willing to risk loosing a squad of DW knights plus a IC with equipment to the chance of deep strike? When would you take an IC over Belial in the squad?

Nope...but I'd take the IC with a crusaderload of knights!

I agree that two HQ in under 2000 points is steep....but it's not 400 points...more like 350-ish. I really don't see any way to avoid it in a DW list, though...Bels to make the stockers scoring, but you still need those rerolls in your hammer unit! I'd take the IC over the libby for three reasons...one, hatred is slightly less risky (zero chance of failure or head exploding yuckiness), and two, rosarius. Three, of course, is fluff! I guess taking belial with a command squad in a LR as your hammer unit is an acceptable solution, eliminating the *need* for those rerolls...and the points difference frees up enough points for an additional squad...but I love the idea of my IC leading the knights off the assault ramp of a crusader while another assaulty squad rides in the wing tank, and bels DWAs with two shooty squads FTW. The scatter-free drop allows you to mass 24 termies and 2 crusaders at one spot on turn two, pretty much anywhere on the board, with zero chance of a mishap! I don't care what the enemy's hammer looks like, it's getting hammered when it gets shot up by 11 DSing termies and then charged by seven knights, an IC, and a squad of melee termies.

I agree that two HQ in under 2000 points is steep....but it's not 400 points...more like 350-ish. I really don't see any way to avoid it in a DW list, though...Bels to make the stockers scoring, but you still need those rerolls in your hammer unit! I'd take the IC over the libby for three reasons...one, hatred is slightly less risky (zero chance of failure or head exploding yuckiness), and two, rosarius. Three, of course, is fluff! I guess taking belial with a command squad in a LR as your hammer unit is an acceptable solution, eliminating the *need* for those rerolls...and the points difference frees up enough points for an additional squad...but I love the idea of my IC leading the knights off the assault ramp of a crusader while another assaulty squad rides in the wing tank, and bels DWAs with two shooty squads FTW. The scatter-free drop allows you to mass 24 termies and 2 crusaders at one spot on turn two, pretty much anywhere on the board, with zero chance of a mishap! I don't care what the enemy's hammer looks like, it's getting hammered when it gets shot up by 11 DSing termies and then charged by seven knights, an IC, and a squad of melee termies.

Belial can only stop one squad scattering by deep striking with them, so not entirely scatter-free. I intend to try putting Belial in the crusader with the knights and using his teleport homer to bring in the deep strikers. I was given a land raider crusader for Valentine's Day so that's next on the workbench after I paint my knights. :D

[edit] Sorry, I thought this was the Deathwing knights thread! I'd totally consider including an interrogator-chaplain in that Death Star but a librarian does bring a lot more options.

In my opinion the interrogator chaplain is a good choice against armies that are likely to field monstrous creatures. With his powermaul he can wound them okish at 4+ while keeping his initiative edge against them - he got 3 wounds, can have a bike and comes with a invul save. Maybe boosting him with the shroud would boost him a bit. Sadly we can't field ravenwing attack bike squadrons else he would be a good leader for those.

Count in that there might be a toughness debuff from a unit of ravenwing knights - then he is a nice frontline monster.

This is how I feel about the Interrogator-Chaplain. If you want a melee monster, take the Interrogator-Chaplain and give him the Mace of Redemption. Otherwise I take a Librarian. I know he has a chance of Perils but his utility is just much greater than the first round of combat. I really want to like the Interrogator-Chaplain but I just can't get 100% behind it. It sucks because I really love their fluff! :(

Pensacola- note that chaplains give rerolls in the first round not just if charging.. Noticed your earlier post and just wanted to clarify in case you missed that change.

IMO Libbys are for prescience and the PFG or just a dirt cheap warlord. The interrogator is for everything else. More wounds, hits harder, stock invuln and buffs the whole squad, and has identical wargear options. Meanwhile hoods aint what they used to be..

@Brom MKIV

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know they re-rolled for first round whether or not they charged. Can they give re-rolls for shooting? I'll have to check.  I'll certain agree that hoods aint what they used to be, which is a shame. I just posted a list that I'm planning on trying out tomorrow where I have both an Librarian and a Interrogator Chaplain. I'm eager to find out how things go.

I think your assessment is right, but as one poster pointed, the Librarian is probably the number one pick for an HQ choice followed by the Interrogator Chaplain. As you pointed, it comes down to what goals you want to accomplish, what is the make-up of your army, and what is your particular play style.

Archived