Chaplain and I.Chap, Are they worth it?

Slavik

Hey, if we're talking about Chaplains on Bikes specifically, don't forget that Ravenwing bikes of all kinds have Hit & Run, which applies to the Chaplain if he's in the unit, which means that you can try and break off to assault every one of your turns! ;)  Makes him more useful. 

Exactly along with skilled rider if with BKs and scout. I've been banking on all those and its been great.

On the bikes tl bolters, do they count as wargear and thus able to swap for other weaponry like the lions roar? I'm away from my dex so can't reference the wording but for reference CSM bike entry pg 100 states:

"Up to two Chaos Bikers may replace either their close combat weapon or their bike's twin-linked boltgun with one of the following:"

I love my TDAIC. I ran him stock last week with meltabombs in a group of DW Knights. Gonna start playing around with him more, see about replacing his crozius with the mace. I love my Libby in TDA, but the IC is really starting to win me over :)

The bike is "Fitted with a Twin-linked Bolter", so I see no reason why it can;t be switched out... However, in the case of DA, due to how the codex is worded, you could technically replace the TL Bolter on the bike with a melee weapon, but not a Combi-bolter.  ;)  You COULD replace it with the Lion's Roar or the Artefact Storm Bolter though. 

Here's what it says in the codex

"An Interrogator-Chaplain in power armour may take items from the Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Chapter Relics section of the wargear list"

Now, I think the FAQ did mention that weapons picked from these lists would replace what the character had, so for example, taking a plasma pistol would replace the bolt pistol and taking a power sword would replace the Crozius. However, rules as state, I don't see anything preventing you from replacing the Twin-linked bolters for any of the ranged weapons or Chapter Relics. I could be completely wrong, so please correct me if I am. I just wish you could replace the twin-linked bolter for plasma talons.

Hmmm the wording coupled with that of the chaos dex has me this may be ok.. I hope so because I really want to model my bike interrogator with bike mounted combi plas for the lions roar!

You can't take rules out from the Chaos codex and assume the DA codex is supposed to have it. Until an FAQ comes out and spells it out for you, I don't think you can swap out the Twin-Linked Bolters on a Space Marine Bike. 

Haha nice, and just for the record I'm not assuming anything yet I'm away from my books on my phone. I should of said I initially thought it was against the rules but a similar topic elsewhere regarding chaos lords has me curious. I haven't jumped to a conclusion, the word 'coupled' was a poor choice but don't assume I'm assuming anything.

Exactly along with skilled rider if with BKs and scout. I've been banking on all those and its been great.

On the bikes tl bolters, do they count as wargear and thus able to swap for other weaponry like the lions roar? I'm away from my dex so can't reference the wording but for reference CSM bike entry pg 100 states:

"Up to two Chaos Bikers may replace either their close combat weapon or their bike's twin-linked boltgun with one of the following:"

No, the TLBG's and an IC's weapons are not interchangeable. As you stated in C:CSM; "Up to two Chaos Bikers may replace either their close combat weapon or

their bike's twin-linked boltgun with one of the following:"

This is Dark Angels,not C:CSM,  the Lions Roar is a separate entry. So a Bike riding IChappi can have the Lions Roar, and his TLBG's on a bike. But he will give up either a BP, or Crozius for it. Keep in mind the Lions Roar is actually a MC mini-plasma cannon with less range

Ya I got home read the entries for myself and easily came to the same conclusion. Oh well no biggy. Lions roar is still pretty good, better than expected in my experience so far. Heck it seems the new standard for combi weapons is 10 pts so a MC blast for 20 on BS5 is great IMO, if you have the pts that is.

Just finished a game against Tau, my Interrogator with JP and Mace of pure killyness wrecked face. He was attached to......an assault sqd.

The rest of my army was 4x 10 man tacs with razorbacs and twin Whirlwinds in HS.

Tabled him by turn 3.

Greenwing F.T.W!!!

I had the good fortune of using a TLLC RB to explode a tau transport, used a WW to kill all but two clumped occupants and a HB RB to kill the last two tau...TWICE!!!

Chappie rolled up a railgun tank thing, three crisis suits and 6 pathfinders while 40 tacticals torrented his CC HQ crisis suit dude and his 5 mates into the Emprah's mercy.

The only new rules kit I used was the MoR. Cheap and Efficient!!!

I see lots of people talking about how great is the combo : chappy + mace.

But can't the Libby take the Mace in lieu of the Pbolter?

And he'll benefit from the re-roll as well... For cheaper cost.

The pb of the chappy is that for CC the Company master is better and cheaper, for squad upgrade the Libby is better and cheaper. Sure you can do both with him but not optimal and you pay a hell of points.

To me he's clearly a. 3rd choice.

@Master Avoghal

Valid points. The problem the librarian runs into is that he doesn't have a built in invul save, and he is generally "weaker" in close combat. As you pointed out, a librarian is more of a unit buff that a character you want in close combat. Second, Presenses would better be served in the back field on Devestator units and such. This generally makes the company master or chaplain your more oppreate choice for close combat units. At which point, it would probably come down to available points and player preference.

But the basic Chappy can't take the Mace of Redemption so he's not a valid point for comparison. The libby has 1 less Wound, Attack and Initiative, and, as Pensacola Warhammer correctly puts it (we do agree on a few things msn-wink.gif ) he's usually better off buffing/debuffing other units rather than giving himself re-rolls using Presience. I think that the Chaplain and Librarian have totally different roles and shouldn't be compared regarding the Mace of Redemption.

The Company Master, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. There is a valid argument for giving a CM the Mace instead of the Chaplain.......(unless you want him on a bike of course!)

Archived