TheDevourer goes Nurgle - Last CoC Vow

TheDevourer

Thx mate :). Was actually pretty fun to play. The drakes dealt enough damage to compensate the zombies slowly stumbling forwards :D. They usually only just made it into the opposing deployment zone in 5 turns :D. 

I have actually played 3 drakes before at 1000 points. Also a lot of fun ;). Scag and I are going to rework our lists for the tournie which will be taking place on the 8th of june. But, we´re going to have to borrow a couple of models sadly. Probably a third heldrake and 4 obliterators.

I see problems with space marines with thunderfires and blob guard allies. Or Imperial Guard with Manticores. Possibly Tau aswell, yes, although they do lack the dbl strength and massed templates. Just finishing up my last 15 zombie models then painting up all my assorted cultists while listening to world war z :). 

What list do you envision that would beat the "Horde"? What would a Tau list look like for example. The ones I have seen so far have been balanced out for all round duty. Usually ethereal, a couple of fire warrior squads, pathfinders and skyrays, maybe a hammerhead. I guess the sheer volume of pulse fire would take the zombies down. Aswell as the ignores los and cover save missile pods?

Still doesn't ignore fnp, so unless they have str6+ templates you'll have a save. Any army would pretty much have to tailor to be able to beat a horde. Large amounts of templates and tons of cc attacks would be needed.

The biggest problem I have had so far are terminators. Just can´t kill them, however, they can t kill me fast enough either 

Looking at your army-list, I can only suggest you focus fire on them and abuse the Plasma-Cannon on your Obliterator.

Sweet models btw!

- Malatox

Sry the army list isn´t my regular one any more msn-wink.gif. At the moment I´ve changed the list to.

Typhus, 98 Zombies, 1 Drake and 2 Obliterators, because I won´t have my second Heldrake ready in time for the tournament. When the second drake eventually gets built i´ll have him rather than 2 Oblis, and I´ll also be losing 3 Zombies

@Malatox

Thanks =) Probably have another 15 Zombies done by tonight. And will be having a game against tau tomorrow

I will also stop painting until the 15th and then will be throwing in my lot for the etl!

So just had another Team Tag game with Scag against Elmo (Well known from our Dark Angel Forum) and my little brother.

2000 Points Team Tag

Scag and I both played Chaos

My 1000 Points:

Typhus

4*20 Zombies

1*18 Zombies

1*Heldrake

2* Oblis MoN Votlw

Scag:

Chaos Lord on Bike 4+ Invulnerable, Melta Bombs, Brand, Power Maul

2*10 Cultists

1*Heldrake

3* Biker 2 Melter Melter Bombs

3*2 Oblis MoN Votlw

Elmo (Tau):

Commander with drone controller, 2 Missile Pods, 2 Shield Drones (In Marker Drones)

Ethereal

2*10 Firewarriors in Devilfish (Not quite sure on numbers could have been more or less)

4*Marker Drones

Hammerhead with template too, Commander Upgrade, etc

Skyray with upgrades

Sniper Drone Team

Sean (Imperial Guard):

Cmd Squad 4 melters in chimera

10 Veterans 3*Plasma in chimera

10 veterans lascannon

Vendetta

2*Leman Russ

1* Leman Russ Demolisher

Quick walkthrough of the game:

Normal Set Up, Mission 4 (Fast Attack one)

Turn 1:

We decided to deep strike 4 oblis and leave the other four behind LOS blockers. Set up a large zombie horde to one side and the bikers toward the imperial forces (Wanted to kill the leman russ). They set up the mobile Tau on one side of the board and the static imps in center field and the other side inside ruins. They won the roll for first turn which was fine for us. They killed a few zombies here and there and 1 biker. In our turn we fired our lascannons at the demolisher destroying its main weapon and slogged forwards. The Burning Brand

killed 4 veterans.

Turn 2:

They popped one entire squad of 20 Zombies and 1 melter biker. The vendetta moved on the table and killed one obliterator (despite our warlord trait being -1 to reserves)

In our turn 2 only my drake appeared (the chances of only one unit coming *sigh*)

It then wiped out 9 firewarriors who had devestated my zombies in the previous turn. I then tried to assault 2 drones that had been thrown in my path, but had forgotten about the support fire and took 5 casualties from the other squad of fire warriors and failed the charge.

Turn 3: 

They destroyed another squad of zombies and killed my remaining obliterator, his vendetta had flown on badly and we had blocked any movement it could have made with our horde, so he flew it off the table. He then wiped out the remaining bikers and brought the lord down to one wound. Who once again failed to destroy the leman russ with his power mace (2 rounds in a row -.-). The fire warriors reembarked into their transport and the skyray unleashed hell and took 2 structure points from my drake and gave in a shaken result.

In our turn, 1 obliterator squad arrived only to mishap back into reserve. Reserves ey... Bad luck once again. We dealt light damage to a leman russ (2 Multimelters doing one glance wahey). My drake then flew from the table killing 3 sniper drones.

Turn 4:

His detta flew back on the table and took 1 wound from the remaining 2 obliterators. They killed all but 2 of typhus´ zombie guards and nearly wiped out another unit. 

In our turn everything came (Thank god we didn´t have to throw). The drake wiped out the veteran squad after destroying the chimera in the movement phase, the obliterators deep struck close to the leman russes, destroying one. Mine came on the table and killed the remaining veterans in the back end objectives aswell as some of the command squad.

Turn 5: 

His detta blew up my drake, They killed all of typhus´ guards and then fired the hammerhead at typhus. (They had 5 markerlight hits on him --> Ignored cover and Bs 8 for the hammerhead). Luckily I passed my invulnerable and the railgun did nothing. In our turn we rushed all objectives in range assaulted the tau Leader in his drone squad with Typhus and wiped out all the remaining imperial guard troops and tanks. (1 Leman Russ was still alive, but had been immobilized in that turn). The drake tried to kill some drones but the shield drones saved all 4 wounds. Typhus charged the Tau warlord and his drones and yes shield drones saved 4 of 8 wounds, so the leader survived and I only killed 1 shield drone and 3 marker drones... 

With this the game ended. After counting out objectives we were 8:0 

After secondary objectives the game ended at 15:5. A close victory for us. But considering our damage dealing units only arrived in turn 4 I think the game went fairly well. 

Well thats all for now, got a little bit of painting in and 6 cultists are nearly done. Also started painting the base for my Heldrake. 

I´ll put an update up once I finish my vow.

All in all I´m happy with what we are fielding. I would like more drakes, but we only have 2 at the moment. Also more bikes would be nice, but we only have the 4.

Edit:

Messed up the results. Was a 15-5 not 13:7 :D 

I know the feeling of trying to overcome a speed bump like the Leman Russ and having to throw so much at it can be a real deal breaker. It seems like you lost a lot of zombies, but what was doing all the damage on your side? The Heldrakes?

Sounds like a fun game. How do you see the new Tau as fairing? I haven't fought them yet, and was wondering. Is Supporting-Fire devastating, or simply annoying to our tough Marines?

- Malatox

Well I cant talk about our "tough" marines, but it really hurts the zombies, and aye the Tau are hardcore... Just not a good solo list IMO.

Edit 1:

Yes the drakes dealt alot of damage, aswell as the oblis.

Edit 2:

Markerlights make them work. Remove them and they start to crumble. Also depending on what style they play, their troops tend to be very vulnerable (Drakes as always)

Well my brother is converting a fantasy arachnid into a drake using blightdrone turbines and the hobbit goblins as plague zombies, just some ideas if you plan on expanding your army

I´ll be buying multiple vampire counts fantasy zombie dragons as helldrakes and even more mantic zombies (god these models are perfect) =). Thanks for the tips though ;). The arachnid Heldrakes also look awesome! And I´m going to have to chuckle about the hobbit goblins. When I first watched the film, that was the exact same idea I had :D.

Aye gotta love the sheer intimidating force of 100´s of boots on the table. I must say I´m enjoying chaos a lot more than space wolves. Even the painting =). Although I do miss the mjodd. 

I would challenge you to a who can paint the most for the etl this time, but I´m sort of short on figures and I doubt I could beat your first vow Rayray ;). 

I may be able to reach 1500 pts this time around. I guess a full 400 points more than last time isn´t all that bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just revowed 4 Obliterators, 2 Spawns and a Heldrake! Also off playing a 1000 point battle against the new eldar today.

He will be playing

Autarch: Melter, Lance, Jetbike and some cloak gimmick (+3 cover save, cover saves rerollable, cannot join a unit)

2* Jetbikes Shurikencannons

2*Rangers

Eldar Fighter

2*Nightspinner (?) with +1 to cover save (The tank with 5" template and flamer)

1* Illum Zar +1 cover save.

Looks like a hard match up to me. Will let you know how it went when I get back tomorrow evening.

Very excited about the new eldar!

Archived