TheDevourer goes Nurgle - Last CoC Vow

TheDevourer

Thanks =). May bring some contrast in later. Marines for example will have pink on them ;)

Have to finish painting by this weekend. Sadly won t manage the last 20 cultists. Hopefully I will compelte heldrake and 4 obliterators ;)

Ok guys tournament coming up on Saturday. Here´s a picture of my army so far ;). If any of you should wish I will upload pictures of scags army and upload battle reports. 

Really excited about the tournament. It will be the fourth organized by myself and my club and will be the second open air tournament :). My goal is to place in the top 3. And realistically I think it is possible. 

El´mo will be participating, who is one of the big figures on the DA forum on b&c so maybe some of you guys will have seen his work ;). 

So enough of the blaaa. Here is a picture of my lot on a tray. And yes I´ve finished quite a chunk of my 2nd vow. 2 Obliterators completed and the drake =). I will upload close ups once the entire vows have been completed.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/IMG-20130606-WA0001.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130606_210458.jpg

I ended up playing together with the Eldar against Tau and Chaos Daemons. Yeah weird line up I know :D.

The Eldar dealt a tonne of damage. The fire prism was an amazing unit being able to change its weapon type to anything we needed it to do. The Night spinners killed alot of fire warriors and even dealt instant death wound to 3 xv88. Typhus killed a khornate daemon prince in close combat and then died to a bloodthirster, but the zombies heroically got stuck in with the bloodthirster for 3 rounds of combat. The eldar Jetbikes took out 2 Daemon Princes thanks to their Shuriken rules (I was shocked and stunned about their damage output). Otherwise we swarmed objectives with zombies. I lost a lot of zombies that game, the most I have ever lost. 40 Firewarriors first turn and 3 missile xv88s really hurt, thanks to 12 path finders. But all in all the enemy conceded in turn 4 (they had 1 troop choice on an objective that we denied with eldar jetbikes and we had 5).  We had annihilated most of their army, all that was left were a couple of firewarriors and pathfinders and my drake was inbound for a second assault.

I will be playing a 1000 point Team tag tournament. We are playing double chaos. And yes, the sheer mass of meat shields made sure that I wasn´t able to finish painting everything in time :P.

Close ups of the drake will follow when I finish my 2nd vow ;).

I will try to take some photos of my games and keep notes on the games ;) Hopefully I will get up some half decent battle reports :) 

Aye the Eldar heavy support seems to be very powerful (My personal rating would be: Night Spinner --> Illum Zar --> Wraith Lords --> Wraith Knight --> War Walkers)

I see either a Wraith list or a vehicle list behind an aegis being new eldar meta. The Night Spinner is a treat for the points it costs as is the Illum. The wraith units on the other hand are hard for a lot of lists to kill, but seem to be alot more of a "oh god I hope I don´t have to play against x" i.e Dark Eldar. The troop choices seem to have gotten a lot better thanks to the shuriken rules they actually deal damage now. (Eldar jetbikes will stay a favorite I believe). In fast attack the fighter seems to be good. It destroys it s target in the turn it comes on, excels at hunting down enemy fliers and it is so amazingly mobile. So far I have only seen an autarch played in a tank list as an HQ. As the Farseer doesn´t do much for it (My allies statement). The autarch had to be alone due to an item that gave him shrouded and stealth and allowed him to reroll cover saves. He was awesome until the tau hit him with markerlights and xv88 fire. 

From reading the codex I´m also quite fond of Warp spiders thanks to their new special rule giving them +1 S against tanks, with their rapid fire then S 8 Weapons they are a real threat.

Sadly basically all of the elite choices seem to be meh. And once again shining spears and swooping hawks seem to be bad.

All in all I think there are a lot of different possible build with the new eldar dex. And am happy that they got the codex the way it is. They deserved it after having to stick to the old one for so long.

Not to get too far off topic but the Fire Prism is one of my top picks.

The Heldrake will be plenty busy against a lot of those choices, but truthfully the Eldar might be one case where the Heldrake is overkill. So many soft eldar to burn!

Ok so while the pictures upload... I will provide a link to my photo gallery at the end of this post. Sadly I forgot to take pictures in the third game, although they had really nice looking pictures sad.png.

All in all the tournament was alot of fun. Even though scag and I were a bit unlucky.

Ok: So to begin with the weather was amazing which made the open air tournament so much better! 30° yeeees please!

Game 1:

Ok so yeah. When I heard the match up I nearly cried. It was us against the team that everyone knew was very likely to take first place. The team I would have preferred playing the final game against. They were playing necrons and tau.

The necron list was basically an all flier list. With 3 Troop choices in fliers, a lord, a stormbringer guy and 2 doom scythes.

The Tau on the otherhand were playing 40 odd fire warriors, an ethereal, 11 pathfinders, 3 xv888 missile suits, a riptide and an aegis with vox relais.

The mission was based on the fast attack one in the rule book. 6 objectives with different values that were turned around at the start of first turn. you got a bonus main point for destroying any fast attack units. Secondary was warlords.

So they won the roll off for sides and we won the roll off for first turn.We gave them first turn to enable our drakes at least one turn of free roaming . We got nightfight as a warlord trait and chucked it on for good measure. We set up, leaving all obliterators in reserve and the 2 drakes aswell. They set up their xv88 and pathfinders in an aegis that was shaped around them giving them cover saves from all angles.

In their turn they fired all markerlights at scags bikes that were hidden behind a building (We had no LOS blockers to hide behind). They then fired their xv88 squad and when the missiles stopped bombarding them, there were none left. A huge set back considering the bikerlord would have killed a good amount of pathfinders with his brand. That gave them warlord and first blood in one turn, aswell as one fast attack choice, ouch sad.png. Thinking back we might have been better off putting the lord in a blob of cultists for that game (at least for the first turn) .In our first turn we slogged towards them slowly.

In their turn 2 they rerolled any fliers that would have arrived and this led to only 2 normal fliers entering play rather than 4. They proceeded to fire at zombies and killed about 10.

In our turn 2, 6 obliterators arrived and a single drake. 4 obliterators deep struck near the tau lines, taking interceptor fire from the riptide, which failed to wound. My obliterators then killed 8 fire warriors with heavy flamers after typhus cursed them to toughness 2 thus causing hvy flamers to be double strength and ignoring the ethereals fnp aura. The other oblis tried to tl-melter a flier, but failed to hit the last 2 fired las cannons at the xv88 killing 1, even though he had a 2+ cover save behind the aegis. The drake wiped out 5 path finders and 4 fire warriors.

In their turn 3 another 2 fliers arrived and they blew the heldrake from the skies although only the 2 reserve fliers could draw a bead on him. They failed to wipe out all the 4 oblis in front of their lines with their fire power. Knocking down only 1 obliterator. The necron lord with necron warriors that was at the vox relais then assaulted both of my oblits. He took 1 wound from the oblits and they crushed 2 warriors in return who failed to get up. In our turn my helldrake didnt arrive. The remaining 2 oblits did though.

The other turns saw us whittling down the tau and not being able to damage the fliers. In the end they controlled more points worth of markers as well as having alot of other points.

The game ended as a 16-4 in their favour.

More reps will follow during the remainder of the day, although I will probably keep them short.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TheDevourer1991/library/?sort=3&page=1

In the second game we played against a Imperial Guard/Blood Angel and Space Wolf army.

They were playing a cmd squad with missile launcher, 2*10 vets with missile launcher, Marbo, 6 Storm troopers 2 plasma guns, 1 jumppack libby, 1 jump pack sanguinary, 10 assault marines power axe 2 melters, 5 Vanguard with power axe and 4 melta bombs. Aswell as a runepriest in termi armor, 5 wolfguard, landraider, 2*10 grey hunters with 2*plasma, 4 Longfangs with missiles

There were 3 Objectives using special rules for archeotech artefacts, killing heavy support and hq units gave an extra primary. Table quarters was secondary.

We didn t win either roll for sides or first turn. We got flank attack with our warlord and it was night fight.

We set up everything apart from the drakes and the bikes that were flanking.

Highlights of the game were the obliterators who once again refused to die unless they were overpowered with the entire opponents fire power, they killed the blood angels assault squad in one turn. Another highlight was our bikes coming from the right flank and going straight for the landraider melta bombs and melters were fired. And all we did was one measly glance. In their turn sly marbo turned up and killed 3 bikers with his bomb. Later on he also killed the chaos lord in a duel, but was then struck down by a zombie champion. Also: The land raider took down a heldrake with 1 tl-lascannon shot, which left all of us shocked biggrin.png. The end looked good for us, however losing some oblis and the chaos lord made the game end as a 15-5 in our favour.

The third game was against orks and eldar (still old codex). This was a really annoying game that I didn´t enjoy.

They played 10 nobs with gadgets and a mega armored waaaghboss in battle wagon, 30 boyz with wyrd boy. Eldrad, fire dragons with serpent, 10 guardians, 5 rangers, 5 warpspiders, 3 war walkers and an aegis with quad gun.

Primary was killpoints, elites gave an additional kill point, secondary was control 2 markers.

I´ll talk about the game itself first and then get to the rage part of this post. Our oblis once again won us the game. They opened the battlewagon and then 4 of them assaulted the nobs (waaagh boss had split off and assaulted zombies), the nobs failed their fear test and at the end of the game all nobs had died while only one oblit had fallen. The chaos lord biked around wiping out eldar units and giving us much needed killpoints. A helldrake came on the table and promptly took 4 penetrating hits from the quad and exploded... However at the end of the game we had 1 marker, they had none and we had 11 primary points whereas they had 3.

Ok, this game was frankly really annoying.

1. The ork player kept knocking over my drake. So often in fact that i actually removed the model from the base after the 7th time... Also he snapped off a part of the wing and I was really close to having a go at him.

2. We allowed them to do everything they forgot i.e "moved before casting eldrad spells" because we were in a good mood. We even allowed them to infiltrate their rangers although they had forgotten (this was in their shooting phase first turn). We also allowed some charges that were quite frankly failed by .3". They on the otherhand allowed us nothing. We forgot to cast once and we also fogot to fire a drake once.

3. They were playing 40 minute turns at a limit of 3 hours per game. We were playing a horde army at 15 minutes a turn. And to be honest we probably would have tabled them if we would have reached round 4

Nevertheless the game ended in 17-3 in our favour.

So all in all we placed third for the tournament. Was great fun, regardless of the last game.

Next time we will hopefully have 4 drakes and will then be playing a much more powerful list (Chaos sorceror and drake replace lord and bikes)

Edit:

P.s: El´mo placed in as 4th.

Sounds like a 'fun' tournament... I mean so many goofy things can happen with mixed armies right?

Your last game is something that typically happens to me once per tournament. I've actually called a judge over to time a guy because he was intentionally stalling to turn a loss into a tie. I mean I've had VERY slow games before, but this one guy had nothing much left and was embarking/disembarking, moving in circles, dropping dice, etc. To stall a wipe out. It happens. Best to shrug it off and move on which it sounds like you did!

Personally I think it does show good sportsmanship that you allowed them to do things they forgot (as long as they aren't too over the top). I try to do this as well, since at the end of the day this is supposed to be game.

Curious though, I understand getting another drake (thought bikes are nice in Chaos) but why take a Sorc over a Biker Lord? What kind of Sorc would you take?

Well I was Judge on that tournie. But I was in too good a mood to get into an argument with them. We told them to hurry up and then just played faster on our behalf aswell. But in the end that game would only have given us 3 more points at max. and wouldn´t have changed our position.

The idea with the sorceror is: He is cheap and he thus enables us to take more drakes. If we were playing a biker lord (doesn´t really fit to typhus) we would have to field a unit of bikes too. This usually lands at round about 250 pts. So instead we are taking another drake in scags list and a sorceror, who will babysit a unit of cultists and maybe take some sort of buffer power to use on a unit. Still thinking about it at the moment. My guess would be either biomancy for Enfeeble/Endurance (on oblis) or telepathy for dominate/terrify. But that is all just a bonus really.

Ok so all that is left to paint of vow 2 are the 2 Spawn. However, I´m done with painting for the moment. My motivation is gone.

So I will be building some plague marines and warp talons and after that I will go back to painting. Maybe I´ll even go for a third vow with some of the plague marines I build. 

We shall see. 

Ok so I´ve been playing around with an army list. And will be testing it on Friday. To be honest I saw the hype on chaos ascendant about maulerfiends and that got me thinking. So this is my Nurgly Interpretation of the Maulerfiend rush list at 1850 points.

*************** 1 HQ + 1 Ally ***************

Chaos Lord
- MoN
- Terminator
+ - 1 x Power Axe
- Burning Brand
- - - > 150 Pts

[Chaosdaemons] Great Unclean One
- 2 x Middle Gifts
- - - > 230 Pts

*************** 1 Elite ***************

3 Chaos Terminators
- 2 x Power Axe
- 2 x Combi-Melter
+ Terminatorchampion
- 1 x Combi-Melter
- 1 x Power Axe
- - - > 112 Pts

*************** 3 Troops + 1 Ally ***************

6 Plague Marines
- 2 x Plasma
+ Rhino

- Dirgecaster 
- - - > 214 Pts

6 Plague Marines
- 2 x Plasma
+ Rhino
- - - > 209 Pts

6 Plague Marines
- 2 x Plasma
+ Rhino
- - - > 209 Pts

[Chaosdaemons] 10 Plague Bearers

- - - > 90 Pts

*************** 2 Fast Attack ***************

3 Chas Spawn
- MoN
- - - > 108 Pts

3 Chas Spawn
- MoN
- - - > 108 Pts

*************** 2 Heavy + 1 Ally ***************

Maulerfiend

+- - - > 125 Pts

Maulerfiend

+- - - > 125 Pts

[Chaosdaemons] Soulgrinder

- Daemon of Tzeentch
- Battlecannon thingy
- - - > 170 Pts

Criticism welcome. Will likely be playing against tau, but will not be tailoring the list against them. This may become my secondary list for when I get bored of Typhus.

Just read the batreps Devourer and from my experience as well MoN oblits are just a godsend. They're almost always MVP and almost always the last ones to die. I've even had a squad beat down a geared out TW lord!

Have yet to use my drake though.

In your new list, looks good to me I think you might miss your drake though! :p

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, it looks like when I am going to make my spawn unit I will have to pick up a box of those to grib out with bits from the spawn kit, thanks for the comparison!

They come with bat like wings aswell ;). 

Oh and by the way: 

I will be in GW Headquarters next month. Is anyone interested in meeting up for a game? Elmo will also be there ;) Let me know if you are interested. There are 4 of us so far

Just vowed again. Only a small one this time. 5 Plague Marines with 2 Plasma and a Power Fist. Will be slowly finishing them off until end of the etl as I probably won´t have enough time to do more.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok just completed my fourth vow.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130807_011211.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130807_011156.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130807_011151.jpg

Close ups of each dude are in the E Tenebrae Lux Thread ;).

The weekend at warhammer world was great fun and I managed to bag two 20-0 wins with my Typhus list. And then I kind of got carried away and went shopping...

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130802_134041.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130802_134046.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130802_151839.jpg

Worst moment of the day was when Typhus assaulted a leman russ. Rolled 6 for his daemon weapon hit all his attacks and did nothing... Not even a glance. That had my opponent roll on the floor giggling and me staring in disbelief.

And this is my smallish shopping load.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o504/TheDevourer1991/20130803_140355.jpg

20 Daemonettes, 20 Plague Bearers, 10 Seekers, 3 Daemon Princes. Looking at starting a Circus list. Will probably open up a new thread in the daemon forum when I get around to them :).

Archived